Samsung VP confirms the company is working on a watch
0. phoneArena 19 Mar 2013, 03:33 posted on
During an interview in Seoul, Lee Young Hee came right out and said it, “We’ve been preparing the watch product...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. shahulvm (Posts: 74; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
There is speculation that Apple is making a watch and Samsung announces that they are making a watch too..
Lets see who brings it first to the market and then go about suing the other...
Not sure when they are going to grow up...
2. emadshiny (Posts: 753; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
i think Sony must sue both of them. LOL
but Sony never seeks trouble.
9. doejon (Posts: 282; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
this idea is not realy new..
even befor sony i had in 1995 a watch that named
with a secret built-in calculator :-)
sorry 4 my english
50. doejon (Posts: 282; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
ahm by the way i don´t need such a watch if i have a smartphone.. ^^ a im ok with my normal watch
for 40€ i don´t need a samrtphone for 600€ (note 2)
and a smartwatch for 200-500€ (i think)^^
13. MrJerry (Posts: 366; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Don't kid me and please dont be such absurd either.
EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE EVERYTHING
Let's say someone invented a steam car.
And I invented a Diesel Engine.
Can't I make a car?
Is it copy?
You can patent wahtever you want but you cant patent a whole thing...like cars, Tvs, Computer etc..otherwise by now we all have same s**ts
This patent war between Sammy and Apple misleads so many people..dear
37. SleepingOz (Posts: 2008; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
So according to you, sony invented the smartwatch?
4. wendygarett (unregistered)
if the watch is the smartwatch, I'm sorry to say that Sony is the one who started it, not Apple dude...
either way, I personally think that Google glass is even more innovation than making the watch :)
16. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
before sony's smartwatch, i think there exist smartwatch before sony
23. wendygarett (unregistered)
That's watchphones... It has no platform inside, sony smartwatch is an android devices...
38. SleepingOz (Posts: 2008; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
"In June 2000, IBM displayed a prototype for a wristwatch that ran Linux. The original version had only 6 hours of battery life, which was later extended to 12. It featured 8MB of memory and ran Linux 2.2."
21. Izoe (Posts: 87; Member since: 02 Sep 2010)
Actually the first to make something like this was Lg, with the LG-GD910 3G Watch Phone way back in 2009. But as usual, others are taking credit. Just like Lg wasn't given credit for coming out with the first "iphonish" device. Apple took credit for that one.
29. MEeee (Posts: 163; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Samsung is the first to make a watch phone in 1999.
24. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5166; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Hope u know that sony was the first too make a smart watch lg was the first too make a calling watch. Dont start laughing & saying samsung copies apple idiot.
30. Izoe (Posts: 87; Member since: 02 Sep 2010)
What makes the Sony watch a smart watch? all it does is push content from the phone to the watch. the Lg watch is not a "calling watch", it is actually a phone. And the point is Lg come out with the first phone on hand idea (the first working prototype), which sony developed/took in a different direction several years later. bottom line, Lg was first
28. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 328; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
Excuse me Samsung the copycat, Sony OR Sony Ericcson had it going years back!
51. ph00ny (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 May 2011)
you do understand that samsung has tried the smartwatch thing twice since 99?
3. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2951; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Now everyone's into it!
Sigh...now i can predict the future somehow. Everyone will have a smartwatch and will start a new trend of beefing up the hardware.
5. Timmehor (Posts: 598; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
It was always going to happen, Apple make a watch then have Samsung do it too, whatever Apple DOES, Samsung is going to follow and make the product better.
6. kobine (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
i've got sony smartwatch and it's great. sony was the first to make smartwatches (there are 2 models out).
7. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 649; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
well funny how sony has already made a watch so who's copying who ?
8. Timmehor (Posts: 598; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Everyone borrows each others ideas and concepts, i wouldnt mind "freedom" of patent sharing, not I WILL SUE YOU!!! or YOU COPIED US!!! GIVE ME MONEY!!!
12. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 649; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
i think the patent system should work in a way that says i wanna make this but you have the patent so i pay you royalties wether you want to allow me or not and get to make whatever
15. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3716; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Its easy, Samsung and Sony is gonna sue Apple, that's all. :)
46. Timmehor (Posts: 598; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Apple will find a way to slip through, turn around and bitch slap Sony and Samsung so hard, Apple are cunning with their products, they squeeze every dollar and cent out of them.
25. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5166; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
When will u guys stop? Sony makes the smart watch first. U dont see them going around suing everyone like apple.
47. Timmehor (Posts: 598; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
We are not arguing/complaining ... we are discussing, isnt that what PA is for?
27. umadddd (banned) (Posts: 29; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
except apple didnt make a watch DERP
40. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 2437; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
No but they are going to and unsurprisingly, Samsung is making one to. Can they be any more unoriginal?
31. MEeee (Posts: 163; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Samsung is the first company to made a watch phone in 1999.
10. phljcnth (Posts: 165; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Well, smartwatches just evolved from watchphones, which Samsung (S9110) and LG (GD910) already did years ago.
11. rgxVOiD (Posts: 420; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
But the difference is that smartwatch works, while watchphones doesn't. Who's gonna bring up their wrist to talk?
33. Izoe (Posts: 87; Member since: 02 Sep 2010)
Ever heard of Bluetooth headsets? They've been around for a while now.
17. Dion25 (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
Really Samsung? Shame on you. Now you want to make a smart watch? Lg is considering suing Samsung for patent infringement, for the eye tracking technology. When one company claims this it may or may not hold merit, but when 5 companies claim the same it has to hold merit.
18. JunitoNH (Posts: 646; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
LMAO of course they are. Many have wonder why hasn't $amsung removed the home button. Your answer is very simple, just wait until Apple removes theirs, then you'll get an indication as to when.
20. nobelset (Posts: 244; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Dude apple didn't invent the home button, so stop talking crap.
32. lyndon420 (Posts: 1359; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Yeah...because the world revolves around apple...riiiggghhhht.
19. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Once again, Samsung speculates, then goes about copying.
Their patterns are right before us, we just refuse to admit it :(
48. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
so ur Sony also copied??
Sony's smartwatch isnt the first smartwatch!!!
pls get facts
ol u know is to bash samsung
pls get more evidences before saying too much
22. mrblah (Posts: 86; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
Coping Apple again, how pathetic! They peaked at the S3, its alll over now, take your ball and go home, Samdung!
35. JunitoNH (Posts: 646; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Well, to be honest, can't wait until $amsung makes a smarthwatch for you guys. I'm sure is going to have a SD card, removable battery, and a 5" display, can't wait. Watch and Galaxy note on the same hand, just a thing of beauty.
26. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5166; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
When will u people stop saying copy give it a rest already. Its getting old. May i remind u that sony started the smart watch first. It was apple who started copying
34. Dion25 (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
Then Samsung should have made the smart watch after Sony released theirs. Everything repeats itself at some point, Clothing, Hair Styles, Car Designs, it all repeats at some point. It seems once Apple decides to make their version, and it could have very well already been done by another company first, but when Apple makes theirs it has an instant fan base, and becomes the next hottest gadget. Samsung knows this and they try to ride apples wave. Apple is known to make things that maybe failed before, out to be a success when they release their version. Apple has proven this time and time again.
36. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Two wrongs don't make a right bro........just cuz apple started copying first doesn't mean Samsung isn't in the wrong here just cuz they went second......they're both still copiers man
39. Aeires (unregistered)
Sad that so many people's opinions are based upon court cases. Electronic companies should be able to make electronic devices, without the "copy" label being thrown at them.
41. Dion25 (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
It's not so much what you do but more when you do it. Don't wait till one company decides to release something, then you release the same exact device and try to pretend this was your plan all along. This is what Samsung is doing, riding apples strong ability to introduce a device with must have mass appeal.
42. cyko969 (Posts: 49; Member since: 23 Mar 2010)
Regardless if Samsung is copying or not, innovation is the key and is what drives company's to keep improving and releasing new products. The way I look at it is ... whoever releases the better product in the end will get the customers. The more choices the better? Why be stuck with just one choice?
43. TheProphet (unregistered)
Probably made out of plastic. Hehehe. With this announcement by samsung, it's already a indication that google glass will be a complete flop. You don't hear other companies saying that they will be making or working on some type of google "Glass" do they? Isn't that dangerous having wifi signal so close to your head or which fool would actually want to look like a stalker wearing that "Glass"? Hehehehe. And by the way it's not who made or invented it the smartwatch first. It's who will make it popular and in demand by consumers. Face it. No iPhone and iOS, no plastic.....errrr i mean no samsung galaxy phone and no android. Apple FTW!! :)
44. rusticguy (Posts: 2696; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Oh so Apple will have the band made of gold? Or fiber glass?