Samsung UI patent filing reveals new folder features
0. phoneArena 23 Jun 2012, 01:27 posted on
A patent filing made late last year by Samsung and newly discovered by Patent Bolt reveals a new UI that focuses on how Android users interact with folders on the screen; the folders stack like a deck of cards and can be pulled like an accordion to display the contents...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Apple is going to sue over drag-and-drop....
Attorneys are going to get more of their kid's college education funded off of Apple v. the World litigation.
6. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
Just because the pattent fighting is getting blown up does not mean any body is being selfish. It's apart of business at this level in this field. Its our patent office giving patents for stuff that should not be patented and should be comen sence patients. It's like getting a pattent for making somthing that has pages that have words in between two covers. A book is somthing is just apart of the evolution of the writing technology. Our patent office is giving patients for stupid stuff like using multi touch. The patent should maybe be awarde to the hardware maker but not the company using the product. And some patents basically should at the list have a basic charge for using it. It holds Back the tech world to allow these patents and I really want to give better examples but I just got off work and am going to sleep. Anyways apple and other companies that get awarded thes patents have to try to protect them. No matter how often it happens it's not really there fault. They can't give an inch because if you do than you lose a little bit at a time and that leads to weakness. The only reason apple does more lawsuits is because they have done some great innovations the last ten years and have got a lot ofattents and most are good strong ideas. Some are stupid and should not have been patented but heck I would do the same thing if I was alowed to get silly patents. Apple is just getting like Microsoft was. Huge target. People like to bitch about that. I myself am against most big corporate greed and the controll they have over our government policies. Politicions are not smart enough to change the pattent system but that is what needs to change not apple protecting what is rightfully there's. The sue the heck out of Samsung but in the same breath are hardware partners with them. It's just part of doing business. Most of the companies know exactly what there doing and probably put the cost of legal battles with the product too use the patent apart of proffet projections to see if it's worth it.
35. kellkeezy (Posts: 57; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
thank God someone is comes to the table with a resonable response on how business works with patents. It sucks that they are awarded to people that are willing to sue, but that comes with the terms of a patent. Its what your allowed to do to protect your well BOUGHT patents and ideas. Just ask George Lucas about his owning that "droid" word
67. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
1. Apple chose to apply for what in many instances are questionable patents. Just because the patent office grants a patent, doesn't necessarily mean the patent is valid. It will take a bunch of litigation to decide that. Meanwhile, Apple is intimidating smaller companies (aka stifling innovation).
2. While Apple may be a huge target, they also have a reputation for resorting to a scorched-earth defense. You may win, but it will take you 6+ years and in the interim, your business has failed.
3. Apple professes to hate trolls, yet at the same time, when a troll fits Apple's objectives, they (Apple) have no problems using trolls to further their objective(s).
At the end of the day, it is just bid-ness. The unfortunate thing is that Apple's $100+ billion pile of cash gives it advantages that other companies don't exactly have. There is a truism about litigation that is very applicable in this circumstance - you can get as much 'justice' as you can afford.
In the end, the attorneys end up winning (and funding the college educations of their kids in the bargain).
2. Rocksteady (unregistered)
Thanks a lot apple for the patent war, you made the mobile world a disgusting place.
Do I have to patent taking off my clothes since its drag and drop.
68. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If your process of taking off your clothes posed a competitive threat to Apple, you might want to plan for being contacted by them with a demand that you cease and desist from dragging and dropping.... ;-)
3. sarb009 (Posts: 300; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Apple started this and now every company has to file patents for such small things so that they can defend themselves and not get sued by apple. Atleast they dont use these patents to bully other competitive companys to eliminate competition and release same product every year with the minimal upgrade they can.
30. MartyK (Posts: 733; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
I know!, this is sad everything have to be patent!! SMDH.
4. adi4u4882 (Posts: 137; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Too bad the rotten fruit
cannot copy it.
5. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Filed each Patent cost about $1000 for individual person to that unless you are rich.
69. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
The application fee is probably the smallest piece of the total expense of a patent prosecution effort.
7. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
I mad a big statement above but I want to shorten this a lot and say its our patent office policies in awarding patents not any companies fault. It's just business with them but the patent office and how they award them does not work anymore.
16. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
No, its not the just the USPTO. Most patent trolls, though scumbags, are out to make a few bucks. Apple are using bs patents to try and remove competition.
So, yes the patent office enables it, but you don't excuse someone for bad behavior just because they've got a legal loophole. In many countries its legal and acceptable for men to beat women. That doesn't make those men any less despicable just because their country allows it.
20. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Oh, and its not just business with Apple. Steve Jobs had a personal vendetta against Android, and Tim Cook seems to be carrying it on.
47. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 8320; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I would have a vendetta to if a company kept stealing ideas and concepts. Android makes vendettas against itself for not being original.
62. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
That explains why there's so much anger toward Apple. All they've ever done is steal, and proudly cop to it.
71. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You are starting to become the biggest troll on this site. Its getting to the point where I seriously don't want to see your user name anymore. Its a Samsung article, not Apple or iOS.
If there's an option to block comments, that would be really appreciated. Or better yet, ban him from the site. Every comment from him is negative and flat out annoying.
91. MISTER-H (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 May 2012)
He's not a Troll but a Brainwashed Apple Satan cult. Look at his avatar... Hideous.
11. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Eww, a stupid nokia fanboy.
93. MISTER-H (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 May 2012)
Eww go back to prison.... Eww computer illiterate.
10. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 8320; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Oh yeah that UI doesn't look totally familiar. Samsung never learns.
12. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Never learn what? How to innovate? How to make the best smartphones out there? Apple should learn from them.
14. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 8320; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Learn what? How to make ugly phones? Have you seen the Galaxy S 3? It looks like a glossy pebble with cheap plastic.
But good luck trying to make a call without signal lol.
17. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Well, if you can't get a signal, then I guess they really are copying Apple. Especially if they then claim you're holding it wrong.
48. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 8320; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
That was so two years ago. Fandroids can never come up with original comebacks. The whole signal fiasco with the iPhone 4 has been repaired. It only occurred if you were holding the phone very tightly. Unlike a Samsung phone that drops signals like crazy regardless how you hold it.
51. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"It only occurred if you were holding the phone very tightly."
54. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"It only occurred if you were holding the phone very tightly."
Could you explain how much is minimum tightly, medium tightly and maximum tightly??? :D
57. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Words which you like to use: "u mad bro?" :D
63. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
And iFans can only reuse the same old lies. There were videos on youtube of people touching the gap lightly with one fingertip, and the phone losing all vars. It had nothing to do with a tight grip. Anything conductive bridging the two antennas did it.
19. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Learn how to use the most successful mobile OS in the world (with over 900,000 new activations per day) in the design of the most preordered, fastest selling smartphone ever, to become the number one manufacturer of smartphones in the world.
25. xoutrageousx (Posts: 70; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
Bro, I am not even that big of a fan boy of either OS but dude you sound like a toolbag.
900,000 successful activations? Who cares
Apple to sue? Who cares
Enjoy your OS of choice and go meet some girls.
27. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I'm just giving a toolbag response to a toolbag.
Can't meet girls, my wife of 20 years won't let me, and my two kids would be embarrassed.
96. MISTER-H (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 May 2012)
What u doing here then... Womaniser....
65. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
That's the difference. Google wants you to believe the truth. Apple wants you to believe they invented rectangles and you're just holding it wrong.
97. MISTER-H (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 May 2012)
Patent steals... Theifs... All apple does is buy from others. What have they invented... Brainwashed..
13. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
But, they did learn. Patent every stupid, obvious, idea, even if you don't have an actual prototype or someone else did it first and you stole it. So in that respect, for the first time ever, you're right - Samsung are copying Apple.
15. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 8320; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
We all know Samsung would never be around had they not copied Apple. They live by copying other people's work. And they sucker people into their Galaxy S phones. It won't be long before they end up like HTC.
18. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Oh, yes. There was no Samsung before Apple. I forgot that Samsung wasn't a huge, multinational corporation before the iPhone.
50. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 8320; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
A huge company that was not into smartphones. Get a clue.
70. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Ummm. Apple was a huge company that was not into smartphones, either. By your logic, Apple should be prevented from moving into smartphones too.
72. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
BlackJack SGH-i607 (2006)
Samsung SCH-i830 / IP-830w (2005)
Samsung SCH-i730 (2004)
Samsung SPH-i700 (2002)
Samsung SPH-i500 (2002)
Samsung SCH-i600 / SP-i600 (2002)
Samsung SPH-i330 (2002)
Samsung SPH-I300 (2001)
All smartphones, all released prior to the iPhone. You really should do just the barest minimum research before spouting the Apple company line.
26. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you do realize that your a moron without a clue, right?
84. hepresearch (unregistered)
Nope, not really... bro... but for what its worth, you are super freakin' hilarious to watch, and it makes me chuckle deep down on the inside.
34. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Samsung is also world's second-largest shipbuilder - probably they are copying those ships from Apple...
44. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
and they are the largest construction company in S Korea. they are probably copying apple construction, and apple electronics,
45. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Apple was founded in 1976 while Samsung was founded in 1938. And even in 1938 Samsung was copying Apple... Sad thing! :(
88. hepresearch (unregistered)
Well, when Apple completes their giant, great and spacious new space-donut building... they will sue Samsung for stealing the idea of making buildings with FOUR sides... wait a minute... ummm... ... ...
53. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 8320; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Let's not hope they use Android in the navigational systems lol. Nothing like trying to communicate only to lose your signal.