Samsung Infuse 4G finally receives its long overdue Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread update - owners rejoice!
At the time of its release, people were wowed by the ridiculously large display of the Samsung Infuse 4G, but upon turning it on and playing around with the phone, some were probably taken back to find an Android 2.2 Froyo experience. Well folks, it might not be Ice Cream Sandwich, but nevertheless, we’re certain that handset owners are thrilled to know that Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread is finally here for the smartphone.
Strangely, AT&T isn’t making the software update available through the typical over-the-air process, but rather, you’ll need to download it through Samsung's web site. Yes, we know, it’s just another obstacle to overcome before getting in with Gingerbread, but it’s going to be worth it in the end – especially when you consider that this Gingerbread update was a long time in the making for this one. However, it seems that the download link is not working at the present time, so you’ll probably want to check back later to snatch it.
In any event, here is the full listing of new features found with the update:
- Improved Copy and Paste functionality
- Redesigned Multi Touch Software Keyboard
- Download manager for long running HTTP downloads
- Improved power management and application control
- Notification Shade: “Flight Mode” added (“Silent” removed)
- New Fonts options added include Choco Cooky, Cool Jazz, Rosemary
- Keyboard Changes: Android Keyboard with Wider Spaced keys and Quick Keys at the top
- New Widgets: The name of the content provider will be listed on the widget list along with the widget name. Previously only the widget name was provided.
- New Widget: Traffic (Android) added to list of available widgets
- Menu Changes/New Apps: Downloads and Google Books added new, Promotional pre-load of Angry Birds removed.
source: AT&T & Samsung via Android Central
1. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
The retail store I work at sells phone cases for the infuse. We haven't sold one in 6+mos. I thought at&t killed this phone already.
2. Sniggly (Posts: 7182; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Unfortunate that the update isn't OTA. The list of changes looks good. We just sold out of our last Infuses in the last couple of weeks. Maybe we'll get more in.
4. prayerofaltair (Posts: 10; Member since: 01 Feb 2012)
i don't see the update on their site...could someone post a link?
5. LoneShaolin (Posts: 307; Member since: 14 Jan 2012)
I think it's due to the link being broken. Check back in a few hours?
6. ledbetterp3 (Posts: 467; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
I also heard of the Motorola ATRIX 2 update coning soon for android 2.3.6. It was on the xda-developers site, but mine hasn't gotten it yet. I hope this is it's, and doesn't mean were not getting ICS!
8. Azure01 (Posts: 126; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
THANK GOD!!! About four months over do...I wonder who reminded them. And seriously angry birds is removed -______-
9. prayerofaltair (Posts: 10; Member since: 01 Feb 2012)
has anyone been able to do this update? cuz every time i try to do it on kies it says not available...