Samsung Galaxy S5's screen is far from the best, here's why
0. phoneArena 22 May 2014, 06:11 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S5's screen turned out so controversial when the phone came out last month, that fans were instantly split between those who held that it's the best mobile screen ever (as stated by one report), and those who believed that there's actually a lot of room for improvement (as stated by numerous reports, including ours)...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Duketytz (Posts: 519; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Ouch! What are the fans that are so loud in championing that S5 has the best screen out there going to say now?
11. Miracles (Posts: 560; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
They r gonna go into denial.
Ohh...its already started.
19. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Erica Griffin already did a test with Z2, HTC One, and S5 screen.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
=SS5DlQIhLTMThe screen of S5 isn't accurately calibrated. I bet you'll have eye cancer if you keep on staring at S5 screen. Its color is unnatural .
75. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4416; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Eye Cancer... lolololololololololololololololol
53. jdoee100 (Posts: 313; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
I guess BGR is in denial as well. Here's what they have said about S5's display, "It has the best mobile display the world has ever seen." "It’s just incredible." "Even the most hardened Samsung haters have to admit that the company does one thing incredibly well: Make gorgeous, eye-catching displays." PA has managed to do even better (or worse than) "even the most hardened Samsung haters."
86. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3617; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
yeah most of these pathetic Samsung haters have never seen the Galaxy S5 in real life. The truth is that these haters have burns in their bottom seeing Samsung as a top dog and getting record breaking sales. #FanboyismAtItsBest.
103. androtaku (Posts: 201; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
more like pathetic sammy fanboy never seen another screen before in real life
pathetic sammy boy think only sammy the best
130. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3617; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Fanboy? Never seen another screen? Owner of a moto G and Nexus 7, used a s5 for 12 days and probably getting it next month. HAPPY TROLL? Now go away.
141. androtaku (Posts: 201; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
turn on your speaker,shout to the whole world "samsung the best"
then go back to your master at samsung HQ,lick his toe and be his carpet
173. Trex95 (Posts: 571; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
I own the note 3 and S5, S5 has more brighter screen than note 3 but colors looks saturated a lot plus the cinema mode on S5 that Samsung said it does give the most accurate colors has some weirdo yellowish tinge!
117. scy1192 (Posts: 11; Member since: 15 May 2014)
@jdoee100 I think it's pretty common knowledge that BGR is garbage though
123. jdoee100 (Posts: 313; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
That's my point. BGR hates everything Samsung, but even they have hard time criticizing Samsung's AMOLED. It's hard to top BGR, but PA is looking more like BGR everyday, and in some cases does better, as in this case.
125. jdoee100 (Posts: 313; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
"Samsung Galaxy S5's screen is far from the best," is like saying Samsung is doing horrible because they only have puny ~30% worldwide market share.
14. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1461; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
We'll just have to wait and see :P Sometime I think color accuracy and what user's preference are completely different things. Nevertheless, I still think S5 got a pretty good screen, but I'm sticking with my Z2 :D
23. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
They are gonna say its the best....to them, Which isnt wrong or incorrect.
Preference trumps tech all day every day.
126. androtaku (Posts: 201; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
problem with this preference theory is...
-if their preference happen to be the greenish artifical samsung AMOLED screen, its just "preference"
-if their preference is the accurate iphone ips screen, its not "preference",its call i-goat,i-cow,dumbass fanboy
samsung fanboys are bunch of hypocrite slimey mud
24. tedkord (Posts: 5261; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
We're going to go with the ph.D display expert who has 30 years of experience, and not iRay who has a couple of years of obvious Apple bias that he wears on his sleeve.
102. rantao333 (Posts: 276; Member since: 21 May 2013)
i guess ph.D just got a limited edition, if you know what i mean
177. joey_sfb (Posts: 3231; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Its ok. I buy Samsung again and again for their combo of removable battery and Micro SD slot.
So long as Samsung keep that for Note 4, I will buy one.
37. superfans (Posts: 151; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)
They probably will say : Nah , human eyes can't see that much different to denial their S5's screen is far from the best.
38. skyline88 (Posts: 347; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
nothing is going to be the BEST, but at least S5 has a much better screen than the REST.
49. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3617; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
because IT IS BEST DISPLAY IN THE MARKET. we all know PA loves tiny, cold, low contrast displays.
55. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
PA loves apple and others to them are ok
Its Michael H who like Android and the oems
84. pwnarena (Posts: 975; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
huh? im not trying to defend them but you can clearly see that their benchmark for screen color temperature is 6500 and they're using a nexus 5 as the reference device (with color temp closer to 6500).
how are they prefering cold displays there?
63. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Regular PhoneArena.com visitors know my opinion about OLED based screens. I always was saying that OLED based screens has a lot of and very important (essential) problems and until they are not solved OLED is not better than LCD.
Information rich articles are always welcome. Instead of those cheap articles like "Girl gets stuck in a storm drain trying to rescue fallen BlackBerry/iPhone" and so on. PhoneArena.com should work more on information quality!
Thank you, Ray S. for a nice article! :)
66. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Guys, we should spread a bit love for Ray S. (at least until other bad article) but now he did a great job writing this article! (no homo) :D
70. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Actually no one cares about you PA with this stupid articles and your favorite iphone...! Its your stupid opinion with more stupid reasons...! Bias website...learn some from GSMarena....! I trust displaymate far from you... go with your bullsh...t iphone display Iphone arena...! Nonsense....!
74. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Looks like someone is buthurt because of truth...
This article even not about iPhone, not only iPhone use LCD based screens!
112. shuaibhere (Posts: 1673; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Looks like oled haters (PA)... Are not happy with improvements in OLED....
I would trust displaymate,gsm arena more than ericca griffin and ray.s...
More than that....i found s5's displayto be best display regardless of expert's reviews....
156. shuaibhere (Posts: 1673; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
How I'm a fanboy????
I like amoleds...and people like you suddenly start to believe PA and erica griffin over DISPLAYMATE and GSMARENA...just because they favour your thoughts...you are pathetic hater.....
164. androtaku (Posts: 201; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
you mean...you believe every site that say amoled is good,and disbelieve every site that say amoled is inaccurrate, that "not" very fanboy behavior indeed.scientific term for this kind of behavior is "confirmation bias",go google
i don't object people "prefer" fake artificial inaccurate color,just don't confused prefered color and accurate color. you calling amoled the best screen because you personally like it,not because its the best,nor did the author wrong in anyway
146. 3rdDegree (Posts: 171; Member since: 13 Jul 2013)
That's almost impossible. The arrangement of pixels and subpixels cause the image to look blurry around the edges, especially all the icons on home screens.
174. Trex95 (Posts: 571; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Even me I thought that Samsung did a great job with S5 Super Amoled really like the new Super Amoled on note 3 and S5. But after I compare it to nexus 5, IPhone 5S, M8 I found that IPS LCD still looks brighter and more accurate and the most important thing it's more comfortable to eyes than Super Amoled.
108. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Well it doesnt matter if S5 show real colors or not... we know from long time that Amoleds doesnt show accurate colors, its not any hidden secrete. so whats the point of this report?
The matter of fact is that S5's screen is so sharp, bright n vibrant in colors that other dull so called real to life displays doesnt even comes close and this fact made it the best display ever
114. saffant (Posts: 233; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Do explain how the S5 beat every other phone in the outdoor visibility test, yet it has the least maximum brightness? Smell the BS? Yes sir.
118. wilsong17 (Posts: 1090; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Is still the best out there... that is the problem a test say different but your eyes said is the best so stfu
121. wilsong17 (Posts: 1090; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Was your phone on top oh wait a haha haha.http://www.phonearena.com/news
135. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Because that article was by another guy not I.ray....iboy..! Actually they know that s5 display is the best but they can't accept it specially this boy...!
154. saffant (Posts: 233; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Do you have mental deficiency? Can you not see that the S5 won the entire 8-way battle?
144. marcski07 (Posts: 560; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
Just read all the comments, boy the butthurts here are goldmine, if they were really gold I'll be rich in no time... :)))))))))
my observation here in PA, when PA post an article, where, iPhone is bashed or criticized, they all agree... but when it comes to their Shamesung, SameSung, they accuse PA as biased. LOL.
For crying out loud, AMOLED are overrated. There's reason why others don't use that panel, because of that severe unnatural color! The hype of Super Amoled are really catchy that's why others call it the best just because of the word "SUPER" i bet there will come a time, they'll call it HYPER amoled, and in 2030 SUPER DUPER HYPER AMOLED. and those zombies will sure come and buy for that marketing bullsh*t..
145. Ninetysix (Posts: 1679; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
100% accurate. It's fun reading all the comments though.
155. saffant (Posts: 233; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
I don't really care if AMOLED loses or not. I hate Samsung's flagship S phones but have always loved the Note line. However, when and if i do downgrade, i'd pick Sony/HTC or heck even an iPhone over the S-phones.
With that being said though, I still find these results inconsistent. Displaymate (a far more established reviewer for display technologies than an amateur author on PhoneArena is) has the S5's display as being the best amongst today's flagships. PA has completely conflicting results, which would make you question DisplayMate, but that maximum brightness figure... despite their own tests proving that the S5's outdoor visibility is the best among the competition, they have it as among the lowest in this comparison? What? Inconsistent much?
Hence, I'm in two minds.
165. sar44 (Posts: 278; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
You mixed with xperia z2, there is advertises 130% srgb. At s5 in cinema mode and pro photo mode 106-107%
2. rd_nest (Posts: 824; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Even Anandtech measured colour temperature for S5 to around perfect 6500.
"Samsung has done a great job in clamping down the white point to around 6504k"
10. Ray.S (Posts: 263; Member since: 19 Jul 2011)
Actually, the full paragraph by AnandTech reads the following: "While Samsung has done a great job in clamping down the white point to around 6504k, grayscale is so noticeably green that not only does CalMAN show this in the measurements, but also casual observation. I can literally see that the grayscale image is not gray, but an off-green. I’m not quite sure how this happened, but I suspect that this was done in an effort to increase peak brightness as even in the bluest display mode, green is still closely tracking with blue."
This comes to prove one major point - there's just too much green in that screen, rendering it inaccurate and oftentimes weird-looking.
18. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Agree. Super AMOLED display has no weapons of beating IPS-LCD. I'll get a S5 if only it came with IPS-LCD panel.
82. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3617; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
haha IPS LCD that comes with $100 cheap chinese mfg phones LOL. IPS=lifeless. AMOLED=True contrast.
134. androtaku (Posts: 201; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
typical S-goat fanboy will compare $600 amoled with $100 china ips phone,then happily say Amoled beat it,yay!
136. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Where do you come from noob kid...!? Go to your bed and sleep I...goat..cheap..!
138. androtaku (Posts: 201; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
zero substance noob goat reply,like the phone u worship so much
go to your master at samsung HQ,lick his toe and curl up behind his backside
147. 3rdDegree (Posts: 171; Member since: 13 Jul 2013)
IPS = True to life. Just because your life sucks and is so boring and colourless and you don't have a girl to add flair and spice things up, you turn to samsung and their inability to make displays using a dying technology.
77. uvaman (Posts: 21; Member since: 14 Jan 2013)
Ray. S we all know that PA mostly doesn't like Samsung and your articles from the people who are familiar with this matter won't be taken seriously. But why you didn't take the information from display mate? A lot more education and technology. So they are lying... Problem is not the screen and what users are saying, problem is that you don't like Samsung. Admit it PA and all good....
81. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Display mate : best smartphone display...most accurate colors...beautifull picture quality... I think these are enough..! Common iray is ... why being jealous of display mate these words.. have a cold shower then u feel better boy...!
139. rd_nest (Posts: 824; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
You don't get it, do you??
But anyways, I think we know what is there to know. Here's a tip, world's best display (commercially available) is the AMOLED panel on KE55S9C.
25. remtothemax (Posts: 239; Member since: 02 May 2012)
...why would you so blatantly manipulate a well-known source to try to lie like this? at what point did you possibly think you would get away with proof-texting like this? if you care about the silly fanboy wars enough to do something so desperate like this, did you never stop to think about the impact when it obviously came out that not only were you wrong, but you were blatantly trying to manipulate the truth?
i'm kind of just blown right now.
29. Commentator (Posts: 2494; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Well, to be fair, they did state they measured the color temperature at 6504.