Samsung Galaxy S5's Ultra Power Saving Mode is put to the test
0. phoneArena 18 Jul 2014, 19:01 posted on
If you've seen the recent commercial for the Samsung Galaxy S5, you know how proud the manufacturer is of its Ultra Power Saving Mode. By going into this mode, the phone turns the screen from color to black and white, using a "simplified greyscale" theme. It also limits the number of apps that can be used. With 10% battery life remaining, this setting will give a Galaxy S5 user 24 hours of standby time...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
If it was a rooted handset, with voltage settings decreased, it would've still have 35% left.
3200mah instead of 2800mah, should've came standard.
2. devonblue4u (Posts: 68; Member since: 12 Apr 2011)
I have an S4 with Imperium rom. It has all the S5 features incl. UPS mode. Who sez S5's have all the fun. Long live Devs!
38. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
I feel sorry for you. My sisters galaxy s4 is very laggy. The gallery takes 2 seconds to launch.
44. devonblue4u (Posts: 68; Member since: 12 Apr 2011)
Uh, that's one of the reasons why you flash over stock rooms, isn't it? :)
55. elitewolverine (Posts: 5185; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Can be, just dont brick them, i deny warranties all week on newer phones for bricked roms.
3. Derekjeter (Posts: 936; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
I just tried this power saving mode last night and it works well but the 10% was over in 2 hours of of heavy use. I thought it would last longer.
4. Bondurant (Posts: 430; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)
Have to admit, this idea of having a black and white mode power saver was a pure Samsung innovation.
5. JakeLee (banned) (Posts: 1021; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
Another S-Hit that looks great on paper.
Ultra Power Saving... my a$$.
6. Doakie (Posts: 2064; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Haters gonna hate.....
Unless you have a Huawei Ascend Mate 2 I don't think your phone really would stand up to a cross country test.... Let's get real.
7. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Your a$$ has ultra power saving capabilities? Wow! tell us more about it.
8. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Android and Open Source are the Future. it doesn't lock you down to one company. it's not a walled garden like apple. it's an open palm vs a closed fist. you pay half or less for the hardware than apple's hardware. the apple premium 'tax' is for bragging rights and advertising costs. the truth is actually a bit different than the apple marketing machine will lead you to believe. there is a reason why apple has more cash in the bank than any other U.S. company. check your wallets.
10. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
..let me finish:
* iZombies are dumb
* what a stupid design
* oh, apple makes it taller, wow, innovation
* same old iOS sucks
* people are so dumb to buy it (iPhone 5)
* can't stop the dumb people from buying marketing gimmicks
* my android phone can do so much more
* where are the widgets?
* my LG from 2009 already does everything the i5 does
* Samsung note 2 ftw
* 4" screen is so 2010
* Blind iZombies that buy the dumbest products
* look at the nerds buying something that just isn't innovative
* samsung's gonna sue i5
* my gophone (iphone 5) is here already
* lumina 920 beats everything including this POS
* the list goes on and on...
15. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Read post 5, from Jakelee
He started it first,
"another s h I t that looks good on paper "
17. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Stay on topic. You are unnecessarily bashing apple.
13. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
ummm...what? the iphone is junk. just look at the specs! Apple bragged about how now it has a dual core. so what, Android phones have quad cores and have for some time. Apple consistently releases outdated tech, stolen interfaces that they pass off as their inventions and then they sensationalize it like its the newest and best thing in the world. the worst thing about it is that people like this guy keep spewing that word vomit. When you buy a smartphone, be an informed consumer and know what you are buying. Dual core iPhone vs quad core Android. hrmmmm.... 16gig iphone vs 16gig plus 64gig external storage Android. hrmmmm.... closed source and restricted to only what apple says you can have or do iPhone vs open source make your phone do whatever you want Android.... hrmmm.... its an easy choice for someone who doesn't just buy a phone to try to look cool to their friends.
26. sniper1087 (Posts: 513; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
Wow you sound really butthurt, why does it matter to you what other people buy, apples dual core processor is custom made and every core performs as a single core better than the 801, now that is in single thread not multithread which is a different story, but you can't tell the difference in real life performance, I have used the S5 and I'm still surprised not to the hardware's fault but to the software that performance still stutters from time to time, the more gimmicks they add the more it bugs down the system as well it takes more internal storage available. Yes expandable store is good but there is a reason google wants to move away from it, on their nexus devices is because is unreliable, they tend to fail a lot.
50. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
wow, whatever he said is truth he sound really truthful
31. AlikMalix (Posts: 6011; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
Arte, this is unnecessary... He's not bashing Samsung - he's stating that 24 hours on a 10% battery is only possible if you don't use the phone (or just a little). Samsung is trying to convince (with their ad or this stunt) that their phone is capable of that, but does not outline that the use is limited, very limited.
I like this feature, but lets not make a gold mine out of mole hill...
42. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Well if I did or didn't, I assume I might have, or might not?
Well I apologise if I did guys, and to PhoneArena moderators.
29. tedkord (Posts: 11888; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The fear Samsung strikes in you is amusing.
39. i.cent90 (Posts: 26; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
Wat do u knw about power saving modes wen we use nokia 11.00 d battery can last 4 ages cos is a black n white screen so why do u tink UPS mode on d s5 wil be ur ass... no it wil be more dan ur BRAIN not ur ass
16. GripFuture (unregistered)
Where is the 32gb Galaxy S5? Where is it? I have the money ready. I know what phone I want. Samsung must have planned a 32gb version. Why isn't it out yet? This has nothing to do with the articles but I must reiterate that my money is ready. Just release it already. Stop playing games. 16gb isn't enough internal storage. Samsung! Can you hear me. I won't just buy the phone. I'll buy an extra battery and a micro sd card from you. Just release the 32gb S5 and accept my credit card. That simple. 32gb is all I want. Not asking for a miracle. RELEASE THE 32GB NOW!!!!!
22. willard12 (Posts: 1706; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Maybe someone at PA can pass you the link to Samsung's website. Until then, do you have a comment regarding ultra power saving mode?
35. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"16gb isn't enough internal storage. Samsung! Can you hear me."
Rather than get angry at Samsung, you should direct your ire towards the telecoms and Google. They are conspiring to block all Android phones that have more than minimal built-in memory.
Telecoms have data plans to sell and Google wants your data in the cloud, not on the phone. So between the telecoms and Google it is win-win to limit phone memory. Why do you think Google is crippling the functionality of the SD card on Android? Because it's better for business.
40. SamDroid (unregistered)
Could you tell me more about this? I've been out of the loop for a long time. Its been exam week for me :(
56. elitewolverine (Posts: 5185; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
It is logical.
The most open/free phone OS has limited SD support, and the apps you do put on the SD are subject to encryption problems because of the way the OS handles things.
Pictures is not viewed as 'encryption', but games and other devs hate the sd card, hence why few now use it.
I handle calls allllllll day about their 4gb phone with 32gb of storage having no memory and i have to tell them that the apps on the card are halfbaked in terms of actually be on the card.
This is where 8.1 will shine and i hope they dont go the android route in further updates.
Google makes no money on the phones, no money on the OS (just the name license), and no money on SD cards. They make all the money on data mining info, selling ads. A whopping 95% of their billions is all ad based revenue. So if your pictures are in the cloud, where you go to google+ to access, and they give you inline ads like they do on your email, they have been a success.