Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One (M8): reader's choice
0. phoneArena 03 Jul 2014, 09:44 posted on
Ah, it's always fun when we have the chance of putting up a comparison between rivals, and when we're looking at the wireless landscape that's been shaped in the first half of the year, there's one particular rivalry that quickly sticks out - the one between Samsung's Galaxy S5, and HTC's One (M8). Now, you may be wondering what this is all about, since we already have an in-depth comparison featuring the two super-phones. Well, here's the thing – we came up with this idea of a user comparison! In other words, you, the readers, will be the ones determining the winner...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KingDingaLing (Posts: 324; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
If only HTC made the camera a little better...could've been a lot closer.
13. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
The camera of M8 is not the only flop there.
22. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
it is for most people . It would have been a perfect device otherwise .
31. Zack20 (Posts: 41; Member since: 10 Dec 2013)
But it is one of the main and the biggest blunder HTC made while making M8.
34. DocOc (Posts: 138; Member since: 23 Apr 2014)
Since when did the camera become such an important part of a phone? The differences are so marginal anyway...
64. Zack20 (Posts: 41; Member since: 10 Dec 2013)
For me it is. I am paying a pretty good amount of money for the phone, so I do not want just a mediocre camera, when I CAN get a much better camera in another phone in same price range.
2. xplayer57 (Posts: 33; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Well IMO HTC One M8 only excels in design. Some may disagree with me on interface part but i like touchwiz functionality over sense's sleek looks. Other than that S5 is winner for me
P.S. its only my opinion
7. ctn10 (Posts: 9; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
Me too, i like touchwiz so much, it easy to use :)
21. UglyFrank (Posts: 1544; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
The fact that anyone voted for HTC for camera shows this could never be a fair test
23. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
Well i voted for one in all categories except camera . indeed people voting for one camera are blind .
56. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
So you, voting for One display , are not blind. Right?
69. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
it is my personal choice i hate cartoonish interfaces that too when they run on extremely vibrant displays. I like S-lcd more .
26. Zack20 (Posts: 41; Member since: 10 Dec 2013)
I was thinking the same thing.
If HTC would have been leading for camera, then there would have been no reason at all to believe any poll result on this article.
44. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Having owned both phones, S5 is a better choice. Camera, call quality, battery life (especially), features, faster charging times, phone not getting hot and waterproof/dustproof is what ranks the S5 supreme over the M8.
M8 has great sound, build quality, faster/smoother, and better FFC.
I'm switching back to the S5 in three weeks.
45. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Oh, and you can't forget display. Bar none best one I've ever used.
60. Lboogey6 (Posts: 281; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
I'm with you here the s5 when put side by side with the htc has much more to offer but if you put an iphone and a htc one is like bland on both end so if you don't want anything with the phone i recommend that. but the functionality compared to what it offers blows it out of the water ...water resistances also
3. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I would take the HTC myself if these were my only choices.
Smoothness is a +10 to me.
Even with that gimped camera, no offense to owners but you what I mean.
14. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"reader's choice" LOL
We know that commenters on the tech sites are mostly iboys pretending to be Android users that are "disappointed of Samsung", "love aluminium" and "hate TW". To fight Samsung.
You say "I would take the HTC myself " but you are rocking iPhone. Right?
38. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Wtf, are you new here?
If you're not and don't know better, carry on.
61. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Buy know you should know who is what and likes what, since you've been here for 4months.
We all know who the iBoys are
Finalflash likes Android
33. karkavelas (Posts: 70; Member since: 25 Oct 2013)
I have the m8 and I have to say I am satisfied with the camera and especially with the video.
I wouldn't say no for more details and megapixel but I am happy with the results.
About the video I am really happy because the sound that this phone can capture its amazing.
If I was a person who like to take amazing photos I would buy a Dslr camera instead because they have optical zoom and they are created for that.
42. chebner (Posts: 205; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I have to agree. The camera in the M8 is perfectly acceptable as a smartphone camera and not near as bad as everyone says. And the video on the M8 is very good.
Overall the S5 camera is better so I did vote for it. But the camera on the M8 isn't so bad that people should just dismiss it outright like so many do on PA. For what most people use a camera phone for the M8 is perfectly acceptable. If you're really that concerned about picture quality then get a real camera (dslr).
5. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Display mate : samsung galaxy S5 has the best display ever....the most accurate colors...!
15. Genza (Posts: 537; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
DisplayMate Numbers vs Anandtech, PA real life proof and software measurements.
The only way i can accept and believe DisplayMate numbers is if they can show me some real life proof and i also i want them prove it that they method and software is better and more accurate than the other method and software that most profesionals use when they doing display calibration and measurements.
24. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
come on man discrediting a man who has knowledge and resources 1000 times more than you is just stupid!
20. josephnero (Posts: 552; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
I trust Anandtech 10000times more than any other
25. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Let me guess then, what is phone. LOL
47. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Hey noob kid do you know displaymate..?do you know How many site and magazine trust displaymate results such as pcmagazine and very else... go to site and see and wtf about that crap anantech or sorry ianandtech..! Diplaymate and Gsmarena are very very trusted and reliable than any other site...!
39. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
And Supercurio also said the opposite of displaymate. He has some amazing software to measure displays.
16. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
The tech media , don't give a S about display mate , when they must fight Samsung.
43. Genza (Posts: 537; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
No its because most profesionals is not using DisplayMate method or software when it comes display calibration and measurements.
And if what DisplayMate said is true that S5 has the most accurate colors, the tiger, sand and the color charts would not look like this.
46. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
If you dont have S5 please don't comment..! I have S5 and I get that tiger photo and it was 100 opposite of PA tiger photo of S5..PA is a lier site .. in my S5 that tiger was pure white more than 5S photo..!
51. Genza (Posts: 537; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
I don't surprised if you deny all the real proof that i have show you.
You and DisplayMate can only talk about BS, numbers and theories.
without being able to show us real life proof like Anandtech and PA.
If what PA show is a lie why Anandtech and a some other sites say the same thing???
And if DisplayMate methods and software was so good why most professionals not using the same method and software from DisplayMate???
52. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Are you drunk..? My proof is front of my eyes now and I guarantee that those blueish photos are 100% fake...! And every ones knows that this site is bias anti.samsung and apple's die heart fan..! Go to display mate site and read about us section..! U can't even compare this fan websites like PA and one hater guy like anand.. with display mate..hope you understand and judge when you work with S5 in real life like me then comment..
53. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Samsung simply produced the best display thus far in the smartphone market. Waiting for the Note 4 in October. :)
8. james.blunt.1973 (Posts: 39; Member since: 15 Dec 2013)
Why you people mix up design with build material?
Samsung DESIGN is awesome. slim bezels, ergonomic, light and compact, but its build materials is cheap plastic.
to me, design is more important...
18. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"but its build materials is cheap plastic."
It's not "cheap plastic" . Not cheaper than the aluminium tin can.
27. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
enough with your tin can ... looks like everyone except you thinks plastic is cheap ( not literally ). The problem with samsung phones is all samsung phones from ace to s5 look the same.
32. Zack20 (Posts: 41; Member since: 10 Dec 2013)
They could have used different material for flagship phones atleast.
Something different in looks for the entire S series and the Note series.
But they didn't :-(
57. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"looks like everyone except you thinks plastic is cheap"
Looks like you don't know how many millions don't care about the cheap aluminium tin can , and buy Galaxy?
Looks like you don't know who are 90% of the commenters on the tech sites(and tech sites staff)? That buy only aluminium iphones but pretend to be HTC users.
67. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
how about if a call s5 plastic dustbin .. and i have had HTC phones in the past . i am not hating on samsung phones but i really had to comment when i saw your hate towards HTC.
28. Zack20 (Posts: 41; Member since: 10 Dec 2013)
I agree with James. The DESIGN is perfect, but only if they could use better materials.
But anyway, I would buy S5 over M8 anytime!
54. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
There are different grades of materials. Samsung's plastic is typically very cheap, but the plastic on Nokia devices is typically very good. Just like how the aluminum on phones like the iPhone and HTC One is higher quality than that of the aluminum cans are made of.
Also, there's no such thing as an aluminum tin can. Tin and aluminum are different elements, and as far as I know they don't use both in cans. There are tin cans, and there are aluminum cans, but not aluminum tin cans.
58. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
" Samsung's plastic is typically very cheap"
Who told you that?
Or you are "unibody" lover?
Well , millions of ppl are NOT.
59. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I told myself that when I used their products. The Galaxy S2 was alright, but the Galaxy S3 and on have been pretty cheap.
9. RandomUsername (Posts: 808; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
GSMArena already does this... But anyway, let the fanboy wars begin!
10. HTCOE (Posts: 632; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
everything but the camera in my opinion...if it would've had at least an 8mp camera with enhanced technology built in i may have said otherwise but s5 failed in the other departments
11. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Smaller bezels and a 8mp camera like the 5s would have made the HTC one m8 a great phone.
12. gynorm (Posts: 18; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
I am really annoyed with Ray S. at Phoneareana, the display on the GS5 is really nice. you can even change the type of dipslay, use Cinema mode and colors are most accurate, also Displaymate.com's review of the GS5's display is more accurate and in depth. Ray.... why the hate on the GS5 these past few days?
17. Slammer (Posts: 1515; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
When it came to design, I suspected that HTC would win this category. However, I voted for Samsung due to accessibility to battery and SDcard. It is one of the main reasons I left HTC after 7 years. Too many issues with batteries and the lack of technological advancements with these batteries, forced me to view accessibility as a necessity; not an option. This ultimately positions my opinion as Samsung having the better design for consumer control in easy repairs.
29. jellmoo (Posts: 1456; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I remain perplexed by those that like the design of the M8. All that wasted space in the black bar at the bottom is utterly terrible. Look how high up the on screen buttons are on the device. It's almost ridiculous.
36. DocOc (Posts: 138; Member since: 23 Apr 2014)
Apparently not everyone agrees with your conclusion of how space should be used nor do they care if every square centimeter is used as screen space.
49. jellmoo (Posts: 1456; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Well yes, this would be my opinion. I find it a terrible design choice. Others disagree. I still maintain that it is a definite step backwards from what was present on the M7.
41. chebner (Posts: 205; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
If you're just looking at the phone I agree with you, it looks like a bunch of wasted space. But when you hold it in your hand and just use it, the spacing feels right. With such a tall device one handed use would be more difficult if the buttons were closer to the bottom. Both devices are too big to be called one handed phones, but with the buttons spaced higher it's easier to hold and operate with one hand. The balance in your hand just isn't right when you have to reach all the way to the bottom of the phone.
Just speaking from my own experience. I own an M8 but know people with the S5. The S5 feels more clumsy in one hand.
30. Zack20 (Posts: 41; Member since: 10 Dec 2013)
I have had an "all-metal" phone before, and let me tell you, it SLIPS a LOT.
I had to get a cover for my phone to prevent it from slipping, but that cover added a lot of volume to my phone (not many covers available for it)
Nothing personal against HTC, but my opinion would be a strict NO to an all-metal phone.
35. DocOc (Posts: 138; Member since: 23 Apr 2014)
In a blind test, I bet most people would not be able to tell much of a difference in the photos between the two phones.