Samsung Galaxy S5 tops our blind camera comparison for the third time in a row, LG G3 close second
0. phoneArena 16 Jun 2014, 04:26 posted on
The votes are in, and the Samsung Galaxy S5 is the winner in our most recent blind camera comparison. In second place, with just three votes less, is the LG G3...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. brrunopt (Posts: 742; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
"Samsung Galaxy S5 tops our blind camera comparison for the third time in a row "
you mean, "we didn't use a Lumia in our blind camera comparison for the third time in a row "
11. Planterz (Posts: 1971; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Yeah, that's definitely suspect. WP sucks donkey dong, but the Lumia cameras are amazing. The photos they show (in their peroidic "best smartphone pics" articles) from 808 and 1020s look great. Motorola is also absent; although it's been shown that their cameras aren't as good as others, the brand should still be represented.
17. ihavenoname (Posts: 1693; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Indeed. Blind camera comparison 5S+S5+G3+Z2+M8+1520/Icon/930.
24. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
WP is an excellent platform. Its influenced the entire industry in terms of design language etc. That's a trend setter the opposite of donkey dong. I'll agree with you that preview cameras are great.
75. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2060; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
"WP sucks donkey dong" these type of stupid comments should be expected from you spermdroids now. The only thing you'll know is to troll and hate on another OS, whether it be iOS or WP. Be ashamed of yourselves. You'll call yourselves tech enthusiasts? Well, to me you guys are just a bunch o stupid hypocrites trying to hide your failures by hating on things you'll don't know about. One can only imagine what you must be like in reality.
91. Planterz (Posts: 1971; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
spermdroid? Who's the hypocrite here? Pot and kettle, fanboy.
96. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Hey dude, dont insult Grandpa... How dare you... You know he falls to the bait and then gets butthurt. Poor Grandpa. :-(
99. Planterz (Posts: 1971; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
You must love scrolling. And scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling...
100. Planterz (Posts: 1971; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Oh, and how's your mediocre app selection working for you? Must be fun getting the ocasional app or game 6 months after it's released on iPhone or Android.
112. mrmessma (Posts: 154; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
That's an arrow from iOS' fanboy's quiver that was aimed at Android for years up until about a year ago. App selection takes nothing away from the quality of the OS itself. Yes, I am an Android user, just pointing this out.
15. Astoni (Posts: 647; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Ehm if the lumia 1020 is a contender then Galaxy k zoom should be in cause its also a camera centric device.. this comparisons is for the top Flagships not a cameraphone.. 1020 is outdated. Yes it has an AWESOME camera but its all it has to offfer since you can buy a freakin 520 and get the same package..
104. refillable (Posts: 1022; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Well at least they can include the Icon or the 1520...
16. Nexus4lifes (Posts: 155; Member since: 13 Feb 2014)
Well this is a 'smart'phone camera test... so lumia doesn't qualify :)
26. mayur007 (Posts: 562; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
bcoz lumias are not smatphone they just a feature phones which has a good camera..
31. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Because no one in PA owns a lumia, they can compromise the inferior camera rather than live with a mediocre OS.
83. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Grandpa... Please stop bothering me with your f@rty comments or I'll kindly show you the way to nursing homes.
105. refillable (Posts: 1022; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Since this is a camera test and Lumias are still Smartphones, that compromise isn't smart at all.
37. sar44 (Posts: 278; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
On G3 (and other bsi sensors) white is yellow, blue is green, green is lime
This is good?
48. ImperialDynamics (Posts: 19; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)
^^ this :D No Lumia in the comparison makes the comparison pointless. And you should had included more than one Lumia model, eg 1020, 1520, 925. Then then gs5 would had barely made it to the top 5 :D
52. sar44 (Posts: 278; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
bsi is dead
1/1.5" sensor with ois and aspherical lens lose 1/2.6"
56. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
You know that the isocells main feature is that is supposed to capture more light. Not a better dynamic range. Samsung may have achieved that better range with many other things there is to the camera. And if you've seen any of the S5 Vs Z2 camera comparisons in almost darkness, the Z2 photos are a lot brighter. Isocell works quite badly in low light in fact.
And as for that 1020 vs S5 there, remember that 1020 had a lot more pixels resulting into a lower amount of light getting into the them. That has nothing to do with BSI or Isocell. I bet even you'll be dead before BSI sensors...
76. DerryAhmad (Posts: 271; Member since: 05 May 2012)
Yeah.. I couldn't understand it either. They had the Lumia 1520 in one of their blind tests (even beat all other flagship phones at that time) and then.. Then just stopped using a Lumia.
I can understand why they didn't use the 1020 tho. It is on its own league in still camera.
Also.. Why no indoor lowlight shots? Lowlight shots is important IMO.
It's where we take often pictures of friends/families/colleagues. In bars, restaurants, home.
92. tedkord (Posts: 9671; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
This site included Nokia phones.
101. ph00ny (Posts: 1091; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Apparently it does well against even the pureview 808
110. elitewolverine (Posts: 4905; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
2. Awalker (Posts: 1355; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
It's the top phone and only a third of people picked it.
25. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Haha, I remember the typical sony fanboys at launch of z2, screamed the supremacy, S5 reigns supreme.
29. Diezparda (Posts: 819; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
that surprise me but Z2 camera lacks contrast and a little bit cold
41. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
The Z2 has much more realistic colours. Almost all the other ones oversaturate them. And I know this because I have the Z2 and the pictures it takes have pretty much 100% natural colours. So if an other device takes more saturated pictures, it has to over do it.
Also this comparison doesn't take advantage of the 4:3 sensors some of the phones have (wider field of view). Also it's not fair to put the resolution into the same for all. Now it doesn't match the actual photos taken.
Also the number of photos taken is very small and the conditions in them are the same. There should be landscape, some kind of flowery shot, macro, indoor and night. Also a DSLR as reference would be nice.
And if somebody wants to know, I voted for M8
And now everybody will say to me "excuses, excuses"
57. tech2 (Posts: 3279; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
'I know this because I have the Z2' - Do you also have GS5, LG G3, etc. used in the comparison ?
Also Dxomark gave GS5 82 for its color accuracy much-much higher then 74 of Z2
60. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
No I don't have the others.
Hmm. That seems to be true. Anyways it's weird. Those S5 photos look just so punchy compared to the Z2 images that they just can't be accurate.
79. Astoni (Posts: 647; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
z2's cameras colour accuracy is IDENTICAL to the Z1's and Z1 can't handle greens.. it gets washed out..
80. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
In that case my unit has to be drastically different from the others.
87. Odiin (Posts: 340; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
To whom you are explaining? Stop it.
Do you know before S5 test by Dxomark, when Z2 got top spot, these same brainwashed Samsung fanboys bashing that site like no tomorrow. Now S5 praised by Dxomark all of sudden they become professional. Praising their method of testing n technology.
n PA loves Samsung so much so obviously this is expected. Just see 'Details' section in this particular article. In that they praising Z2 for details n pointed out S5 flaws, but in number chart, S5 got higher points then Z2.
You cant give credit where its due nor you express your thoughts, all is forbidden here. Its a crime. If you like Sony LG HTC Nokia Blackberry WP anything other then Samsung you are dead. Because only Samsung counts. No quality no reality matters here.
90. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
True. Me writing my explanations here is useless in fact. But I just like to point out my feelings/opinions
89. BlackhawkFlys (Posts: 137; Member since: 07 May 2014)
It does not matter if photos looks natural or saturated, what matters is which photo looks better. And saturated images looks a lot better and pleasant.
72. akki20892 (Posts: 3895; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
if you believe in this comparison then u shouldn't have been comment this "Go check dxomark. Xperia Z2 and GS5 has put your beloved pureview tech to shame" and this dxmark give rating by their technology, not by human point of view......if you believe in true rating then we all need to go to world professional photographer.
73. tech2 (Posts: 3279; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
'dxmark give rating by their technology' - They dont give rating by tech they give rating by their 'camera and sensor'.
DXOmark employ the most comprehensive and comparatively accurate testing methods where testing cameras is concerned. Go read about their testing method they have all 'professional photographers' working for them.http://www.dxomark.com/About
If you've any other site which tests better unbiased testing method then Dxomark and has rated Lumia above all then I'll happy to take my statement back.
111. elitewolverine (Posts: 4905; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Dont forget that the 1020 is not in the mobile section of DXOMark testing.
It is tested and scored like a dedicated camera getting 222 otu of 244. While 'bad', it is not a dedicated camera. All testing and scores are from a full camera perspective and not a mobile perspective, which yes, gets different scores.
Unless there is a mobile test from dxomark with the same scoring as other mobiles. the 41 score of the 1020 is not the same 79 scale given from s5.
I searched but couldnt find the 'mobile' test of the 1020, the test it does show, imo outdo even the s5 still.
32. T.Law (Posts: 413; Member since: 10 May 2014)
I don't mind the S5 winning since I've seen how its camera performs but there's no way that the M8 is better than the Z2.
40. vincelongman (Posts: 3870; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
You can quite easily tell which one is the M8 because of its low 4mp, so probably HTC fanboys voting for the M8 cause they don't want it to come last
35. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Sony's software sucks, their UI is not the best looking or functional either, their camera processing algorithms suck, also software updates are slow and make the device buggy.
62. T.Law (Posts: 413; Member since: 10 May 2014)
As an ex Note 3 user, I do agree for the software part but my Z2 definitely takes better pictures than the M8.
6. hassoups (Posts: 471; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
That Z2 monstrous 20 megapixel camera though...
7. Planterz (Posts: 1971; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I went with phone 2 (LG G3) on all of these, but phone 6 (GS5) was definitely my 2nd choice.
Very dissappointed with Sony's performance. The highest MP phone got beat by the lowest MP phone? It's like KISS bragging they're the loudest band in the world, but KISS f$@#$ing sucks balls, so nobody cares how loud they suck.
8. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
That was to be expected. The S5 has one of the best cameras and tops most of the other ones. Z2 on the other hand, is just sad
42. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Are you saying the test is sad or Z2 camera is sad?
9. strikercho (banned) (Posts: 156; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
PA, you did not use neither Lumia 1020, nor 1520, but "SGS%5 tops your camera blind test comparison"?! Bhahahah! You are such "professionals", really. :)
12. koko1 (Posts: 103; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
if 1020 must be included, then the k zoom must be included too !
even tho, u really think its old camera will beat S5 ?
21. strikercho (banned) (Posts: 156; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
There are comparisons between K Zoom and 1020. Nokia beats. By the way, the K Zoom is hardly a smartphone, as the Lumia is a normal one with a bulge for the camera.
34. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i didn't know the bulge is now the determiing feature for something to be called a smartphone or not.