Samsung Galaxy S5 to feature special Kids Mode?
There will be various parental controls and a Kids Store where free and paid apps can be "purchased". Any paid app is going to require the PIN number to be punched in after being selected. The Kids Mode will have a cartoon guide named Kroko that will take you through the task of selecting a PIN number.
Those who have seen the Kids Mode describe it as being colorful and flat, a description that is supposed to cover all of Sammy's apps on the new iteration of its UI. Of course, more will be made known next week at MWC. In the meantime, you can get your kids excited by telling them all about it.
source: SamMobile via GSMArena
1. superkuiken (Posts: 63; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
Everyone knows kids only get iPhones nowadays.
4. Aploine (Posts: 288; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
Kids. The best customers. I hope Samsung doesn't want their fingerprint too, to access their Samsung acount
5. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 5230; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Because kids obviously have better tastes.
17. HansGoneInsane (unregistered)
Guess that is why Samsung is targeting this market segment. Don't forget: Samsung's aim is to become as cool as Apple. Unfortunately, Samsung has not achieved anything great yet people will remember them for. That is why Samsung is not cool.
19. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I do not want Samsung to become like Apple...that would be terrible...but, I suppose you are correct...and honestly, I do not and never have looked at iphone users as being cool...I almost pity them...
24. HansGoneInsane (unregistered)
I think that iPhone users don't want to become cool by buying an iPhone (at least I can say that about myself). I think that iPhone users just buy the product to support a company and it's spirit they both admire.
28. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 5230; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
That's because you're too busy trying to worry if your shiny new Android device will get the next update or not.
35. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
In 5 years of OS development IOS will still have less features than Android 4.0.
37. Astoni (Posts: 607; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
i find this funny cause people usually switch phones after 1-2 years and updates last around that time. if the keep the phone more than 1-2 years they usually dosen't care about whats in the phone except calling, texting and playing some games.. so what use would an update do?. and since you love iOS so much you should know that iphone 4 and 4s laggs from 7.0 update.. Android is going the otherway trying to make it better for olderphones/outdated low-end phones. but the prioritise one major thing at the time while apple just updates an older model to make it laggier and forces people to buy a new device or switch. Its actually a smart thing to do but it just proves how ignorant you really are..
31. CreeDiddy (Posts: 422; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
Kids are to young to have cell phones between the ages of 2-10. But 51 million adults and teenagers last quarter thought it wasn't childish thing to buy.
30. elitewolverine (Posts: 2623; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Like how my WP has had for awhile now? yes creative sammy
40. Cicero (Posts: 602; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
Create, don't destroy. It is called enhanced. If you are the first who use wheel did not seems that you invented! And for sure did not means that your wheel is the best one (perfect).
3. tigermcm (Posts: 806; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
Aaaaaaand everyone now forgets WP has kids corner.
39. technitude (Posts: 29; Member since: 19 Dec 2013)
I'd like them to tweak Guest mode though. It doesn't work when you encrypt the phone. And other things.
6. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 5230; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
With how cartoony touchwiz looks, they might as well just call the entire experience kid's mode.
11. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Lol, that is funny coming from a lover of a cartoony UI....
20. Astoni (Posts: 607; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Really?, iOS UI doesn't look at all cartoony...
36. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
IOS looks more cartoony than touch wiz.
8. rajasasuke (Posts: 17; Member since: 19 Feb 2014)
when i read the title wp struck in my mind
12. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
This is an ok feature, but just add the ability to add multiple users, like in the Nexus 7, or in the Nexus 5 (with a mod)...and stop it with having different versions of the phone - come out with the 1440p display, 3GB RAM, new version of TouchWiz and have only one model - you figure if they make a ton of one phone, the cost to make it goes down...
Also, people need to stop beeotching about the plastic look - APPLE has fooled everyone into believing that their phones are premium, and yet they break easy. No wonder APPLE pushes it APPLECARE+ warranty program...smart, on their part.
If anything, Samsung does need a new look for the S5 to stand out from the past 2 models...remember the Captivate? That was a great, good looking building, and tough, too...or even the DROID RAZR...that build was more premium than any iPhone. I was able to sell it for 220 on ebay in December..not bad for an old model...
Fingerprint scanner is nice, but, that seems like a feature a gov't or corp. employee would use...
Waterproofing should be standard on all phones - not innovative any longer, but, a good feature to have...why complain about it not being innovative?
29. dontneedtoknow (Posts: 154; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
Apple didn't fool people in thinking that metal phones are premium rather when I held a iPhone it feels study and nice. It goes same with HTC one. It feels nice in the hands.
13. Commentator (Posts: 2615; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Is it a special mode for kids, or a mode for special kids?
23. Astoni (Posts: 607; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
This just made it alot better with your profile pic xD
15. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Oh, and btw, before people start ranting about TouchWiz...remember, it is Android...just download a different launcher from GooglePlay....
22. bucky (Posts: 1640; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
It's integrated too deeply and heavily to be wiped out that easily. Can't get rid of the Samsung studder that easy.
25. williamdroid (Posts: 125; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
Well i always use Nova Launcher. Also, my Note 3 has never lagged on me
21. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6895; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
This is a good idea. Control your kids to prevent over purchase apps.
41. Cicero (Posts: 602; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
Or buy them a phone. And control there what you want. And you will forget about your broken phone.
26. SemperFiV12 (Posts: 911; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)
Taking a page from Windows Phone... Samsung is firing on all cylinders, only if they would use better materials to build their pones. Took a page from Apple for OS and phone design, took a page from Windows phone with Metro styled software and kids corner, took a page from Nokia and pouring money into R&D... Only if they keep looking to Apple and Nokia for BUILD QUALITY!
33. Liveitup (Posts: 1739; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Yeah its a mishmash of different OS the way I see it that is not consistent of a well coded OS, but I respect your opinion.
32. CreeDiddy (Posts: 422; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
I think this feature would be very useful for me. Apple if you are listening please follow protocol on this.
38. elitewolverine (Posts: 2623; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Yes it has been extremely useful for me as a parent using Kids Corner on my WP device. Since it was introduced, my kids have probably logged as much time on my phone, with no fear of the oops.
Glad to see Samsung taking a note from a great feature from another OS, it will certainly help with the calls I take as tech for Samsung.