Samsung Galaxy S5 teardown suggests that the smartphone will be hard to repair
0. phoneArena 28 Mar 2014, 23:20 posted on
Since the Galaxy S5 must be dust-resistant and water-resistant, it's been carefully assembled by Samsung. This means that it's difficult to tear the handset apart...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. pyradark (Posts: 820; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Ugly on outside still ugly on the inside ;)
2. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
And uses cheap plastic along big side width bezel
5. iushnt (Posts: 1129; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
I disagree with u here, u can't say cheap plastics coz the main purpose of the technological device is something else. Plz don't give examples of tables, furniture a , and cars.give relevant example for relevant things..and u have full right to disagree with me as well.
7. skyline88 (Posts: 407; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
go back to big ugly bezel posts of Sony HTC and iJunk, please dont embarrased yourself here
11. maherk (Posts: 2722; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
calm down sony boy, you really have the guts to talk about bezels? Like seriously? And guess what, people seems to like those "cheap plastic" phones made by Samsung and find the iPhone 4+Galaxy S2 baby(aka Sony Z) quite repelling. Fyi, your old argument that sales don't tell the truth about a device, well ot does if they are both sold for the same price. You hate on Samsung's plastic, iPhone's everything, HTC's aluminum and bezels(yet again you forget that the Z is the bezels king). It's like you copy paste your stupid comments on every other article that doesn't talk about your beloved Z2.
30. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Hold on, wth, I like Samsung . I have the N3, and it has the 2nd best CPU after Cyclone swift A7 A57 Armv8, the Exynos 5420 . Samsung has the best CPU and gpu and uses the best screen to date,,,,
27. doejon (Posts: 392; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
bezel are wider yes, because of the problem
that the s4 had.. (display cracked in the pocket)
and for the ip67 they must widen the bezels..
sory for my englisch xD
48. tuminatr (Posts: 730; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)
yep same cheap crap that football helmets and car bumpers are made out of
4. tech2 (Posts: 3111; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yup......and even 100 million galaxy customers find it ugly that's why they bought it.
ugly ≠ blind hatred
13. joey_sfb (Posts: 4636; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Just let the sales and Samsung annual smartphone profit speaks for itself.
Every Galaxy S generations sell more than all other Android OEMs combined.
That's why I keep buying Samsung. Already bought their note pro 12.2 for 2014. Waiting for their note 4.
15. iushnt (Posts: 1129; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
How's the note pro 12.2? I'm thinking to retire my iPad 2. That's (Note pro 12.2) one tablet I think is worthy enough to use which doesn't feel like an enlarged smartphone.
17. maherk (Posts: 2722; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I tried it at best buy and it is awesome, if you live in the states is pretty easy to make a decision to buy something with no regrets since you can always go to carrier's store or electronic stores and play with whatever gadget you're looking into buying. So don't just take my word about it, and if you don't live in the states or any place that have such stores, make sure you check dozens of videos and reviews before you buy something. Don't base your decision on someone's comment.
24. iushnt (Posts: 1129; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
thanks, I'm from Nepal and I usually watch dozens of videos and reviews before buying, Here, only samsung have strong presence and all other brands are hard to be seen in the stores. May be this is a very small market thats why apple, sony etc are not interested to push their products. When i got my dad a HTC one, he was like what brand is it?. This is the situation here. BUt i generally import electornics through my cousins and friends who stay in the states rather than buying here because we have limited options here. Officially samsung doesnt sell note pro 12.2 here. As for tablets only tab 2, tab 3, note 8, note 10.1(older edition) is available.
41. joey_sfb (Posts: 4636; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Note Pro 12.2 is a great learning tool, I using it daily to brush up on my Mandarin. Samsung Multi window makes it possible; One windows running Moon Reader Pro, one of the best ebook reader for android with TTS;
Another windows running internet browser to learn the correct stroke also known as 'bihua'.http://bihua.51240.com/
The final windows running their S Note to rewrite the Chinese character many times in order to commit to memory.
Well, there a common sayings that Chinese language is the future. Better be safe than sorry. LOL!
33. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I have the N3 with Exynos, will be buying the N4 with Exynos.... No don't like Snapdragon
31. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Not hating on Samsung but I really dislike and hate plastic, I prefer and wish it had prestige materials.
I have a Samsung fridge and a 9series laptop also my younger brother has a MacBook Air.
43. joey_sfb (Posts: 4636; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I understand your view point. Just be true to yourself and buy what you like. No one listen to Samsung haters here. The reason I buy Samsung is because its a strong brand and the Note series design is ok in my book.
6. iushnt (Posts: 1129; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Beauty is in the eyes of beholder :) . I don't consider s5 as beautiful but I am sure it doesn't deserve hatred because of this. Will u hate any girl (your fren, gf or sister) just because she is ugly?
9. Whopyourass (unregistered)
LMAO ! What kinda whop logic are you using here? Why would someone hate something just because he thinks its ugly? If its downright fugly, its fugly. PERIOD. I dun have to hate something to think this way about that. So if a Fat ugly gal comes your way, are you gonna lie to her that you think she's pretty just because by saying she's fugly means you hate her ?
12. iushnt (Posts: 1129; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Sorry for my bad analogy..my bad..I was answering to arte-8800 because he gave irrelevant analogy comparing with furnitures and flooring and he hates gs5 for being ugly. If u havent read his comments on other articles then u can ignore this :). U don't hate it so its absolutely cool. Saying fugly isn't bad but hating or ignoring other aspects of the devices potential is something not acceptable in my view..
14. iushnt (Posts: 1129; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
If a fat ugly girl is working as Chief finance officer and she is good with her job then others(her boss and colleagues) shouldn't hate her for her ugliness despite of her high productivity.coz the core purpose should be addressed first. But arte-8800 would probably hate her of being ugly rather than focusing how her job is..
16. maherk (Posts: 2722; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
its not about the looks neither about the specs, it's about the brand. If this "fat" girl had a Sony tattoo on her forehead, trust me, he would be in love and hope that she ll be the one who will finally take his virginity.
32. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Hahaha, no you guys are all wrong,,,, I don't hate on any OEMs, except deeply on Apple how the collaborate business. Come on did we all not grow up from Sony, Panasonic, sharp, keenwood, JVC, Marantz, Onyko, Teac, B&W, and loads others from 1985 onwards,,,,,
38. iushnt (Posts: 1129; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Pioneer car audios, Sony Walkman were my favs.
10. lagdroid (banned) (Posts: 15; Member since: 28 Mar 2014)
If i ll get the device before launch of it, i ll play with it not tear it down
18. doosafety2 (Posts: 6; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
omg... in one hand u put miley cyrus let her be Galaxy s5
in other hand u put rihanna let her be htc one m8.....
Which one do you choose ?!? LMFAO...
i suppose miley is cute but i will still go for Rihanna .... OMG SHE FINE... the phone... or...
35. newbey123 (Posts: 519; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Lol, love it! Good analogy. Rihanna m8 all day long!! Miley might make more money and be popular, but still wouldn't touch her or s5,lol.
36. doosafety2 (Posts: 6; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
hah nice. i mean i have nothing against miley... love her tongue... its like s5 sticking out heartbeat sensor that makes no sense... but rihanna has more sense... sense 6.0...
40. DONUT (Posts: 367; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
and recently Miley has been trying to be a white Rihanna.
oh my kinda like Samsung (Miley) and Apple (RiRi)
42. doosafety2 (Posts: 6; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
i think now nokia becomes Kardashian ... and
everybody would wanna touch her screen but are afraid of her doer the ms win... and the x becomes the Kim kind that all off us wanna touch and feel and play with even she has no brain... memory and she is slow... ehh 1gh... but its enough for me cause i will be fast for her...
49. CyberAngel (Posts: 47; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Does this all mean that I should use a condom with my non-water-proof Lumia?
19. marlboro (Posts: 94; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
s5 using an adhesive on their screens will sue by apple... LOL
21. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1215; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Its great addition to have a water resistant phones. But two BIG diasntvantages will allways be there.
1. Lets say you drop it, you dont break anything, it works fine, but you made a tiny crack somewhere and you ruined the water resistant fact without knowing, you get it into water and you ruin the phone.
2. You break something on your phone, you take it for repair, they repair it but they dont do the job 100% and leave a tiny bit open and ruin the water resistant factor without knowing it, you take it to the water and you ruin the phone.
22. TechFreak123 (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
This is why Samsung stated it is only water resistant and not water proof.
23. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1215; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
I know but still you are risking your phone after a repair or a drop on the floor thinking its still water resistant, even a drop of water gets in after its exposed on light rain can ruin the phone internals if it gets in, thats what I mean. And I know Samsung is covered by its warning but customers isnt in situations like this.
29. vincelongman (Posts: 3149; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Actually most flagships are quite water resistant, even one that aren't designed to be.
I've seen quite a few videos of the S4, M8, 5S... being put into water, pulled out after several minute and still functioning fine.
However I wouldn't risk putting mine in water
50. CyberAngel (Posts: 47; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
So are you stating that it's better to make the phone
"a camel" ? = water sucking beast?
34. vananucho (Posts: 61; Member since: 01 Jun 2011)
Doesn't looks that hard to dissasemble, at least the digitizer assembly looks easy to pop apart, making it easy to separate from the AMOLED in a hot plate in case of a cracked glass, not like the damn S3 which its screen seems to be bondef to the midframe with Chuck Norris tears :s
37. papss (unregistered)
Of course its going to be harder to disassemble considering them adding the dust proof and water resistance. Us geeks are a petty group. We make the smallest things seem like insurmountable issues . Cracks me up
44. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"All in all, it looks like repairing a Galaxy S5 will be a hard thing to do (just like repairing an HTC One M8)"
I couldn't believe that HTC One M8 is mentioned in this case. ROTFL
So just because S5 is IP67 and need spsial treatment on the display (150 degree hotness) to open in first, and we find someone to say "(just like repairing an HTC One M8)"
Taking out the display of S5 makes then the job to be done for a seconds. Nothing like the sealed tin can brick POS.
45. papss (unregistered)
And what makes the m8 a pos exactly? To my knowledge its still a beast of a phone. Or is your inner fanboy coming out? Aren't bricks rectangle with sharp edges?
46. LionStone (Posts: 580; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
I couldn't even figure out what he was trying to say haha!
47. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
I say that S5 teardown has nothing to do with HTC One sealed NON-REPARE-ABLE brick.
S5 just has IP67 that needs spesial trick with heating to take out the display, Then everithing else is very easy to teardown.
51. CyberAngel (Posts: 47; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Comparable easy to replace most of the parts.
Looks water tight and pretty good to me...