Samsung Galaxy S5 review Q&A: ask away!
This is why we're launching this Q&A session: feel free to post your inquiries about the Galaxy S5 in the comments below - anything that has remained unclear even after you've read our detailed review. We're going to publish our answers in a few days, so stay tuned!
In the meantime, if you've accidentally missed it, be sure to go check out our Samsung Galaxy S5 review!
1. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3649; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
S5 or Z2. I know you wont answer this lol.
8. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 144; Member since: 15 May 2013)
I seriously can't decide between the two. I've been scouring the entire internet to find out which one would satisfy me the most but I can't sort it out. It also doesn't help that the Z2 hasn't been reviewed a lot so far.
S5 pros for me according to what I read: great screen, more compact size, good build quality, great camera and better (?) auto mode, better battery life, more stable software.
Z2 pros: better design, more RAM, better camera specs but weaker (?) auto mode, bigger screen, quicker interface but seems laggy and buggy at times, software buttons (love those), front facing speakers.
I guess I'll have to wait for more Z2 reviews.
14. PunyPoop (Posts: 743; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
You know, if you are depending on internet reviews you'll get frustrated. Just get the phone you want, go to a cellphone store, review it by yourself, and right away you can decide what's best for you.. Tech sites are biased, it's a business..
16. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 144; Member since: 15 May 2013)
I would but I live in France and stores rarely put out phones for try. 9 times out of 10 it'll be a dummy, only good for getting an idea of the physical size.
And the few stores where you can actually use the phones, most of the time the phones have been used and abused to death, and end up abnormally lagging and bugging, so you won't truly know how the phone would operate if you bought it...
23. AstronautJones (Posts: 282; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Depends on your needs and likes.
For me, I would get the 32 gb GS5 with removable battery, download booster, and battery saver mode.
BUT I am waiting for a Galaxy F, Note 4, or something else not out....
29. BLUEBLASTER (Posts: 114; Member since: 23 Feb 2014)
We have a winner.This guy knows my game plan. Galaxy F and Note 4 fore sure!
58. Ashoaib (Posts: 2580; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
i live in dubai and stores put all original phones to try and I can test all brands easily ;)
51. sergiobr (Posts: 467; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Straight to Note 4 !!! Z2 is reporting many problems. S5 is good, but Note 3 is a monster and 4 will be better.
65. aravindsbabu (Posts: 17; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
Can anyone tell me the SAR value of this device..??
2. tech2 (Posts: 2673; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
When should we expect a camera shootout between S5, Z2 and M8 ?
and is ISOCELL really that brilliant or just marginally better than previous iteration ?
4. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3649; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I'll answer you on this. The s5 will win, the m8 will lose big time, xperia z2 will take two to three firmware updates to get the best image quality of the three. This may sound bitter but this is the truth.
3. zeus963 (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
can it be unlocked via fingerprint scanner with "one" hand, i mean isnt it possible to use ur thumb and scroll horizontally over it, coz having to use 2 hands simply isnt the best option and that leaves scanner thing useless..?
6. galanoth (Posts: 349; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
IMO from playing with it at Best Buy, it is hard to use the fingerprint reader in one hand.
But if you hold the phone in one hand and unlock it with the other hand then it works pretty much every time.
That's the trade off between convenience and security.
Gotta do a little more work for more security.
5. hung2900 (Posts: 829; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
In the HTC One Max vs Note 3 video review, the reviewer said that Note 3 is brighter than One Max outdoor. One Max screen is the same as One (M7), andM8 iis supposed to be the same as M7 too.
S5 is much brighter than Note 3, so why in the comparison you said S5's outdoor visibility is worse?
7. Just.Saying (Posts: 132; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
Alot of people say they like water resistant phones because they can talk in the shower etc. My question is, How well will the waterproofing work when exposed to HOT water and can the hot water cause other long term damage to the phone
24. AstronautJones (Posts: 282; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Dont put it in a pot of boiling water.
Actually, SALT water is the real killer.
Seriously though, you woukd have to have pretty HOT water to make a difference.
9. .KRATOS. (Posts: 150; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Which is better the snapdragon version or the exynos octacore, n does the new touchwiz have some lags
10. GamePlayer (Posts: 49; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
Is the ISOCELL camera better than a normal BSI sensor and is the low-light performance of s5 good?
33. sgodsell (Posts: 1696; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
From what I understand the new isocell camera is the S5 is suppose to make it focus really fast.
46. Ishmeet (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
@sgodsell the feature you are talking about is phase-detection autofocus
11. SPIDERMAN4 (Posts: 25; Member since: 13 Apr 2011)
where is share shot,remote viewfinder,animated photo,S translate,Group play?
47. Ishmeet (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
All are present, but now in a toned down form, reducing overall size, improving performance, but still providing all the functionality.
12. G7Knight (Posts: 13; Member since: 01 Apr 2014)
why is samsung releasing a s**tty version of the Galaxy S5(exynos crap) in India?
13. sip1995 (Posts: 1109; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Which phone has better camera, the Samesung galaxy s5 or the Nokia lumia Icon ?
15. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3649; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I'll answer regardless of camera its the SAME WP ugly childish comic book and useless OS with no apps and games
17. sip1995 (Posts: 1109; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
I'll still have the BEST camera on the phone....the Nokia lumia 1020
BTW i think you never tried a WP device with pure view camera, you're afraid of something different that's why you blame the WP or you just like to be racist to Windows phone if you think android is "better" then give me the 350 euros that i gave for a stupid galaxy that has viruses cuz of the full of virus play store. Actually ALL my favorite apps (145) that i had on the lagdroid , i still have them on my Windows phone....so i don't miss anything.
19. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3649; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Chill Enjoy your ugly useless comic book. Bye felicia.
38. AfterShock (Posts: 3697; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Troll an lie much?
145 virus laden apps on your phone huh?
You should be so lucky to find that number of usable apps on WP.
WP is for you, at least until it gets popular it should be safe.
Security through obscurity as they say.
39. sgodsell (Posts: 1696; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Now I can see you are just trolling. But the 1020 is really slow in taking pictures, everyone who has picked up the 1020 knows this. The S5's new isocell camera is suppose to be really fast and even can take slow motion video, something that is impossible on the 1020. Yes you win in the mp with your 1020, but mp are not everything.
53. papss (unregistered)
Does the s5 have IOS? no? That's too bad.. The 1020 will be the king of camera phones until the next one comes out period.
64. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3649; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
IOS?! no please i dont want it on S5 lol
34. papss (unregistered)
You forgot the last line of your nonsense... In YOUR opinion. In my opinion android is the second phone to WP
49. janis (Posts: 49; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
some people have proper cameras, proper gaming devices (pc,ps,xbox), so they can use phone just for basic stuff, like email, FB, whatsapp, calls, messages, so they will prefer any good looking phone with simple minimalistic UI. Because there are no good games on phones or good cameras on phones.
25. AstronautJones (Posts: 282; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
We can tell you are already biased anyway, so why should anyone care what you think?
Go troll somewhere else
18. tahirk (Posts: 25; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
I would love to know about the New Touchwiz, is it improved drastically (Can we still say it to be Gimmicky). Do we still have the lag as with Galaxy S4.
Similarly, I would also love to know about the Camera. How does it competes with LG G2, Note 3 & Lumia 1020.
20. iushnt (Posts: 854; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Can we connect a portable usb3 HDD on galaxy s5?
How does exynos version perform on benchmarks compared to SD801?
21. Tomfromsouth (Posts: 64; Member since: 02 Apr 2012)
Charging capabilities. Does it have some sort of method that decreases the charging time; eg qualcomm quick charge 1 or 2?
35. papss (unregistered)
It has USB 3.0 which charges very fast
22. AhmadAlsayegh (Posts: 261; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
does the battery explode if I hammer it?
26. Apoorvtheman (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Does it takes lesser time to charge than other top tier phones?
Can I connect usb 3.0 hdd hard disk to it straight away??
27. magnanimus (Posts: 374; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Does it come with S4 Air Gestures or was that a failed experiment?
41. sgodsell (Posts: 1696; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Air gestures come with the S5. I use air gestures on my S4 when I am showing off my photos. It works every time for me.
28. abhijithkumar.nit (Posts: 44; Member since: 09 Apr 2013)
What are the results of your custom battery test which were not mentioned in your review? Also, does the phone has any heating issue when playing games or any other demanding tasks?
30. silver (Posts: 22; Member since: 02 Aug 2012)
I wanna know if the GS5 have the same leg in the phone/contact like in the S4 and the S3
what do you think they fix it on the S5?
31. joey_sfb (Posts: 3717; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Please check the no, of available storage space on the 16G model. The number of bloatware installed on the S5
32. chunky1x (Posts: 264; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
How accurate is the GS5's heart rate monitor? Does a third party apps like Runtastic and Instant Heart Rate(which uses the smartphone camera and LED flash) have the same results as gS5's dedicated heart rate monitor?
36. papss (unregistered)
I have been trying some apps with my m8 and runtastic is terrible and misses half my steps
42. chunky1x (Posts: 264; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
Instant Heart Rate work well in my LG Optimus G Pro. Very consistent heart rate readings and results.
54. papss (unregistered)
I've not tried the heart monitor yet
37. mhk258 (Posts: 5; Member since: 02 Apr 2014)
How is the audio output of samsung galaxy s5 and does the design differ from the previous samsung flagships especially galaxy note 3
40. Ashirbad (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
how are the pics in low light and indoor conditions...any change there ?
43. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 408; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
How does the durability of the bezel look? On my white Galaxy S3 the bezel has gotten scratched from light wear and tear and it now looks AWFUL. Does the new finish look more durable?
44. vedraj (Posts: 37; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
Im just worried about the water proofing , what if the flaps for the micro usb port is open and water enters the phone through it accidentally, weather it has a nano coating for its components or should i have to buy a new one.?
48. Ishmeet (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
What is the average temperature rise once under heavy load?
And how modifiable is the kernel source? Can it be modified enough to provide double tap to wake?
50. XaErO (Posts: 237; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
I've seen on Samsung India website mentioning the Galaxy S5 Processor as "Adonis Prime2 (Quad 1.9GHz + Quad 1.3GHz) + XMM6360" ?? what type of processor is this ?? Is it an exynos lineup ?? what are it's capabilities as compared to Snapdragon 801AC ??
Hope to see the answer soon.
52. cgraham8 (Posts: 6; Member since: 03 Oct 2013)
Is there any Slo Mo recording option like the iPhone 5s? I haven;t seen it listed anywhere.
55. gjkiii (Posts: 5; Member since: 25 Oct 2013)
The S4 (which I love) is terrible in outdoor sunlight. How much better is the S5?
56. tigerhunts (Posts: 3; Member since: 30 Mar 2014)
Seriously, when we talk about phone camera quality, a must-have test is night shoot.
You guys must test shoot a lot of photos at night, all conditions, GS5 versus: GS4, iPhone 5s, Sony Z2, Nokia 1020, Nokia 930, Nokia 808, OPPO Find 7 (using Sony newest 2nd generation Stacked CMOS: IMX 214), then a decent DSLR or mirrorless, to compare CMOS and lens quality.