Samsung Galaxy S5 may come without OIS camera module after all
Yet we are no strangers to rumors, and we've witnessed their increasing reliability, at least the ones that have some basis in reality. Such is the case, precisely, with the report from Korean ET News. Citing an unidentified source from the industry, the new intel points towards the quite unlikely prospect of an Optical Image Stabilization module in the upcoming Samsung flagship – the Galaxy S5.
According to the report, the issue pertains to a lack of a scalable supply, considering the volume at which the Galaxy S line usually sells in. As has become usual, we're once again given to understand that OIS module yields are once again at the core of this, as these need to be both power-efficient, compact and up to Samsung's standard. How high of a standard that one is, we have no clue, though if it's anything alike to Apple's, we certainly can imagine this being rooted in fact. What's more, while the latest Galaxy S5 specs leak notes a 16MP camera unit, there's no mention of an OIS actuator.
Now, while still considered an extra, OIS can be said to be slowly morphing into something a tad more tangible, especially considering the splendid jobs it does stabilizing snaps and videos. What's more, it doesn't take an industry genius to figure out that cameras have become a component threatening to overshadow everything else inside of a smartphone, at least for the increasingly diverse clique of photography buffs. This makes an OIS module a sought-after commodity that Samsung is surely trying its darnest to obtain, as we expect the Galaxy S5 to be every bit of a hardware powerhouse as the ones before it.
1. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 1902; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Why Sammy? This is not done, you must bring this feature to stay ahead in the competition.
6. fanboy1974 (Posts: 946; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
It's time for phonearena (and others) to stop this non-sense. In 2 days their going to tell us that it does have OIS. Don't believe anything unless Sammy tells you directly or during the press conference. Same is true for any future phone release; no one knows until its official. Trust me; I've seen this back and forth crap since 2009.
13. sbw44 (Posts: 241; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
How will bringing this feature put Samsung ahead of the competition?
14. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Samsung is much ahead of the competition, even now.
2. YouGotTrolledSon (banned) (Posts: 41; Member since: 25 Nov 2012)
1.Flexible 5.2" Ultra HD Super AMOLED display
2.Removable 3000 mAh battery
3.Snapdragon 805 or Exynos 6 true octa , 3-4 GB RAM, 32/64/128 GB version with micro SD slot up to 64 GB
4.16mp camera with OIS
5.Metallic body ( although I highly doubt that would be possible with flexible display .. however I don't care that much .. plastic is okay for me )
6.Iris scanner ( Gimmick to advertise )
7.Android 4.4 with new redesigned Touchwiz UI
8.Selling like hot cakes :)
3. tech2 (limited) (Posts: 1140; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Quite frankly I don't care what hardware they put (although being Sammy I know it would be cutting edge) the only thing I care about is the redesigned touchWiz.
15. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I don't know what you mean by "redesigned"? :)
But, Touchwiz(functionallity) is the best thing that happen to Android.
29. N.Reynolds (Posts: 252; Member since: 15 Feb 2011)
Some features are nice that touchwiz adds but touchwiz itself is nothing close to "the best thing that happened to touchwiz". It definitely needs to be refreshed and to be honest I would prefer they get rid of it period and just adds these features to stock Android, sorry I mean "Google Android", to make it look as if they were originally part of the OS.
17. antmiu2 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Jun 2011)
i see you previously read my prediction post
20. Commentator (Posts: 2088; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Because nobody else could've come up with a bunch of generically-high end specifications and listed them off on their own and called it a "prediction."
30. Pancholo (Posts: 366; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
"7.Android 4.4 with new redesigned Touchwiz UI"
I just wish that, at some point, Sammy decides to overhaul its Touchwiz, making it so on-screen buttons are used instead of capacitive ones at the bottom... Very much like the concept picture demonstrated here!
4. androiphone20 (Posts: 956; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
I don't think Samsung R&D does really focus on their camera enough rather than add more 'megapixels'. I think they should also pay attention to the sensor that increases the area available for pixels and aperture size.
5. YouGotTrolledSon (banned) (Posts: 41; Member since: 25 Nov 2012)
The way HTC did with their so called UltraPixel technology? lol
27. wildfiregt (Posts: 61; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Apple advertized other things such as aperture but doesn't mean Samsung didn't focus on it. Just didn't focus on ads. S4 aperture is as wide as 5s. but the camera has mor pixels
7. tech2 (limited) (Posts: 1140; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Do some research before writing utter rubbish spewed out of your fanboish mind.
On phonearena and gsmarena it stood 2nd in overall scores next to Lumia 1020. (not to mention Lumia 1020 has a hump on its back and Galaxies don't)
You just brought the IQ down of the entire internet down !
12. tech2 (limited) (Posts: 1140; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
you wouldn't be saying so, if you'd seen how hard he is trolling on all Samsung and android articles
22. androiphone20 (Posts: 956; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
*facepalm* are you kidding me right now? turns out I was talking about Samsung's flagship smartphones not PHABLETS
28. tech2 (limited) (Posts: 1140; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Do you have some kind of reading disorder ?
Galaxy s4 is Samsung's flagship phone in 2013 and if you clicked PA's link you'd know GALAXY S4 SCORED HIGHER THAN NOTE 3 ! Anyways, thanks, you just helped me prove, my remark about your IQ was correct ! Congratulations.
Everything needs to be spoon fed to you guys ......jeeez...
31. sbw44 (Posts: 241; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
You make it sound that the galaxies came close to the 1020 while it actually wasn't! the 1020 blows the galaxies out of the water! Plus also if you think that a galaxy with that puny sensor is even close to the 1020 it just shows how your bloody IQ is!
32. tech2 (limited) (Posts: 1140; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
You have no idea what the discussion is about do you ? read the full discussion before exposing your brain to this world !
Nokia is only significantly better than Galaxy in night photography in daylight GS4 produces tremendously accurate colours as against overly saturated and unrealistic color reproduction of Lumia 1020. Also, Lumia is a good cameraphone while GS4 is an overall better 'smart'phone.
8. philfoster (Posts: 34; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
If OIS come to smartphone, DLSR is still a better camera option
10. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 304; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Here's another rumour I heard from ......well me....and if these are it than I'll buy the phone happily.
1) ~5 inch screen full HD. more like note 3. Than S 4.
2) 64 bit exynos. Which is fast enough .
3) 3000+ maH battery
4) a good camera. Even the current one with ois will do.
But the most important for me....
5) a sexy body built with premium material. With a great design .
16. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
"But the most important for me....
5) a sexy body built with premium material. With a great design ."
Man, the Apple marketing machine made you all "hairdressers" and "ballet dancers". Wake up . The smatphones today are nothing more than just DISPLAY (in protective case by your choice). No bezels reqire. What left to be "designed", there ????
26. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 304; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Are you stupid or something? I clearly mentioned ME. What i want, i never said what WE want. I want a good looking phone. Ex HTC one, Xperia z1. I dont care about bezels coz i again clearly mentioned i want a 5 inch phone max. What is wrong with you haters/trolls anyways?
18. freebee269 (Posts: 486; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Well that sucks. No ois is a deal breaker for me. I use my camera on my phone a lot. Ois is a must have in my opinion.
19. Topcat488 (Posts: 982; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Samsung can spend $14billion on advertising... But nothing on their product for a more stable camera shot... LOL... Just bought a "NEW" battery for the OG-Note, Forget Samsung.
25. JakeLee (Posts: 372; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
Sammy's standard is very high on HW parts, especially regarding to reliability. It's extremely hard to comply for partner companies.
Sammy is very strict on this which is the best thing Sammy has done so far.
But their SW sux.