Samsung Galaxy S5 hands-on: a winning formula gets refined
0. phoneArena 24 Feb 2014, 13:02 posted on
Finally, after a lot of long, painful waiting, the Galaxy S5 is here. Samsung has unpacked its newest flagship Android smartphone, and as you can imagine, the excitement is just electrifying! However, getting unpacked was the easy part for the Galaxy S5. What remains to be seen now is if the gigantic expectations for this ambitious smartphone are going to be fulfilled...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
186. Taters (Posts: 3602; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Actually, if Samsung didn't follow the same wrong path that Sony did, the GS5 would have been much smaller than even the LG G2.
They unfortunately pulled a Sony and included stuff that no one really needs like a finger print sensor, USB 3 port, water proofing, autofocus camera, and heart rate monitor at the expense of size.
Also a unibody design is also much easier to make smaller than a removable back so the Z2 is a pretty huge fail in size just like the Xperia Z ultra. The GS5 is a huge fail in size too but much less of an evil than the Z2 which is HUGE.
Samsung still managed to make it smaller than the Z2.
Anyways, do you really believe the 2nd richest mobile company and the manufacturer if everything under the sun cannot handily beat Sony in a compact competition if they really wanted to? You are more of a tool than I thought. HAHA
130. DigitalJedi_X2 (banned) (Posts: 346; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
Actually the G Pro 2 is better than the Z2. Z2 is still an awesome phone though. Great look to it.
24. Malki (Posts: 67; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
show us a faux leather s5 too Samsung please! :D
32. Ninetysix (Posts: 1680; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
52. darkkjedii (Posts: 12690; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Smurf Ninteysix I'm over here dying man! Dude the s20 LMAOOOOO +1,000,000,000 Ninetysix
33. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
Meh....Perhaps it looks better in person than in photographs. I know the S4 does.
42. FoneAddict (Posts: 209; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
SHOCKING. Samsung keep on rehashing the same tired old designs S3 = S4 = S5.
61. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Yeah let's ignore Apple, Sony and Nokia and just mention Samsung.
87. lukkiristi (Posts: 40; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
There is one big difference: those phones actually look good. What's the point in rehashing an ugly design?
90. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Design is a personal opinion choice is it not? Comment still holds true.
96. lukkiristi (Posts: 40; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
No, it doesn't. There is a thing called good design. While Samsung's tech is admirable, their design in phones can not be said to be good. Average at best, and therefore not worth rehashing.
103. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
People on this site are part of the minority. Average joes wrapped their phones on cases so design really isn't a deciding factor for most. How many people do you see outside without a case on their iPhone, Lumia, or HTC One? Exactly.
114. lukkiristi (Posts: 40; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Everyone I know who owns one of the phones you mentioned carries them without a case. It's exactly opposite: design matters a lot more to the "average joe" than to us here. They don't care about tech as much.
121. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Complete opposite with me and what I've witnessed in Chicago. Having worked with T-Mobile for a bit, I can assure you everyone that I've encountered wraps their phones in a case.
45. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
To be honest the back if the phone looks good ..nice looking phone, overall. You can always buy something else...
49. eddieoliveira (Posts: 7; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Come on Samsung!! no reason to upgrade!!
57. b0wzer (Posts: 41; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
I hope this is just a bad dream or maybe some kind of joke
58. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
Actually now that I've seen more close up pics. I really do like the revised faux chrome bumper and the dimpled back. It has a retro 1950s car look about it. I'll need more info on the specs to justify an upgrade.
60. mokhtar (Posts: 273; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
Z2 VS S5 , 3GB VS 2 GB , 20 MP VS 16 , IP58 vs ip67 , glass quality vs plastic body , and the screen in z2 is better than s5 for sure and also the UI
85. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
How is the screen better if you've never seen it in person? My god the bias and hate on this site is so damn sad.
139. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
You're not supposed to answer every comment or maybe you're paid by Sammy!
153. jad.boutary (Posts: 107; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
I agree on the first part :P man he is in every "Samsung" topic :P I cant stop laughing when I see him commenting on every post :P
Dude "smurf" I know you are disapointed.. you have to be cool at the end it's not your company !! even samsung owner don't comment like you do :P
154. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm on majority, not every single one.
I'm not disappointed. Never was. S5 is one hell of a phone and don't doubt for a second it won't sell.
Freedom of speech on the internet. I can't take advantage of that?
157. jad.boutary (Posts: 107; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
lol of course you can, but S5 is good not great a lot of features gimmy why would i need to know my heart rate?? Oh and they think that kids mode is new ?? all of us were expecting a lot more from samsung even you! (2 GB ram!?)
63. helalovic (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Apr 2013)
WTF! looks like they designed it a week before the event.
66. jpkelly05 (Posts: 74; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Are any of you people forgetting that Samsung just got the US Govt contract for smartphones. YES, I agree that they are crappier... but don't deny that they are going to sell millions, if not billions, of these crappy phones. They no longer have to even care about our thoughts. I am really hopping on Moto X2
170. alouden (Posts: 217; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Late last year I told a friend who had an upgrade to skip the S4 and wait for the S5. Now that we know what the S5 features, I do not think the differences between the S4 and S5 are great enough to justify her waiting the five extra months.
70. Totse2k15 (Posts: 276; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
Back reminds me of Nexus 7 2012, lol. Fugly S5. HTC has the best design, imo.
78. PepperKid (Posts: 6; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
This is a joke right?! How hard is it to hire a good design team with all that money Samsung?
86. N3Z1droid (Posts: 89; Member since: 02 Jan 2014)
A bit disappoint for the design S5, but i still count on to Samsung tech, time to wait again for Note 4 & Spen tech
91. boomboom (Posts: 53; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
i may go for sony this time then buying this old model samsung s5.
99. PBXtech (Posts: 984; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Looks like Design 3.0 was delayed, maybe next year.
101. Loubielou (Posts: 260; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
So Glad Samsung have not removed the Home Button on the S5,Just the Speakers i Want to See on this Phone
102. jb4674 (Posts: 141; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
All I see is pictures of a Galaxy S4...............
107. SaulGoodman (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
My Galaxy S Wifi 5.0, which is 3 years old now, looks exactly the same (the front). It's fckin ugly in my opinion. No way to upgrade from G2.
108. sergiobr (Posts: 435; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
I´ll keep my Note 3 until Note 4 arrives. Already have a 4k video and 60fps
117. Achilis (Posts: 32; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
So my Note 3 will remain as The undisputed king. What is going to happen after this pathetic upgrade of Galaxy line is improved sales of Galaxy Note 3 and sure other OEM flagships. What I felt from seeing last year's not so good S4 and Excellent Note 3 and this year's poor S5, samsung is concentrating and more innovative on their Note line up. I believe that Note 4 is going to be a worthy upgrade for an excellent Note 3.
119. wildfiregt (Posts: 105; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
2GB of ram instead of 3, smaller screen than expected and 1080p resolution instead of QHD. It's contrario to what was leaked so many times before... I strongly think there would be the prime version
122. vaibhavaggarwal (Posts: 44; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
And I thought the iPhone 5C cases looked bad...
The designers of this phone must have been high.....
Apple showed more innovation with the iPhone 5S despite keeping the same dimensions.
Can't stop rambling :O
124. babalove (Posts: 20; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
I hate rumours and concepts. Very disappointed
129. gprime (Posts: 22; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
People whine and complain about these incremental upgrades, but if it's Apple doing then it's OK and worth the upgrade. Am fine with my note 3, I'll wait for something amazing
131. Taters (Posts: 3602; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
They should have stuck with the winning formula and it isn't this.
In fact this uses retarded Sony and HTC formulas.
If they stuck with their formula than this would be
Snapdragon 805 or Exynos infinity
gorilla glass 4
Same size or smaller than GS4
We don't need waterproofing or annoying port flaps and to be ridiculously big like the z2. We don't need added size for a better camera like Nokia, iPhone level camera is more than enough.
Why is Samsung using losing HTC, Sony, and Nokia strategies just because stupid websites complain about it? Samsung should stick to what they do best and just destroy on hardware and compact size for the screen size with a large battery. They seem to lost sight of what they do best. Either that or it's Apple's fault since maybe that 1billion they have to pay Apple because of stupid Americans was going to go into the gs5
155. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
805 would be impossible since it's not ready for the market.
184. Taters (Posts: 3602; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Then they should have waited. Simple as that.
133. TisaTsir (Posts: 66; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
I am waiting to see how the camera and battery will perform.
135. RandomUsername (Posts: 562; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
Biggest innovation in the S5: The menu button gets replaced with the task switcher button!