Samsung Galaxy S5 hands-on: a winning formula gets refined
0. phoneArena 24 Feb 2014, 13:02 posted on
Finally, after a lot of long, painful waiting, the Galaxy S5 is here. Samsung has unpacked its newest flagship Android smartphone, and as you can imagine, the excitement is just electrifying! However, getting unpacked was the easy part for the Galaxy S5. What remains to be seen now is if the gigantic expectations for this ambitious smartphone are going to be fulfilled...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
82. amats69 (Posts: 1238; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
So this is the so called galaxy S5 with DESIGN 3.0?wtf!lmao
112. Epicness1o1 (Posts: 229; Member since: 30 May 2013)
I'll predent that samsung didnt made a flagship this year...Sony has done a great job,lets see HTC and LG now
115. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Sony hasn't made a flagship either. Waiting for what HTC announces next month.
116. vaibhavaggarwal (Posts: 44; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
It would have to be hell of a lot cheaper than the S4 to sell well....
143. Skoms (Posts: 118; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
Sony Z2 or Samsung S5
They are both water resistent
193. RuiBacelar (Posts: 152; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
After so many comments I had to register and state my opinion.
Galaxy S4 in spite of plastic build was really nice, also LG G2 also a beauty.
In terms of metal construction Z1 and HTC one are the best. I own a Z1 and my only complain is the battery life, however 1-2 days of medium to high usage is the normal bat liffe.
I must say I was expecting much more from Sammy, it had a whole year to improve it's flagship, we heard many rumors and this is so disapointing...water resistence, ok, Xperia Z had it, I get the back cover, they followed the Note 3 language, but overhall its a ugly-square phone, also mediocre build quality I guess, it's no competition to Z1-Z2 in that field.
Also the camera it's behind sony's 21 mp's, but the Flash seems better.
The 2 gigs of Ram are also a disapointment. Papa Smurf, Sammy had a whole year to come up with something new and that's just a refinement or a tuned-up S4. I admit that the Z2 is almost identical to the Z1, but compare the 5 months life cicle of the z1 to the year old S4 and I rest my case.
Also the Dual speakers, 3 gigs, awsome build quality, and so on are a major for sony. I'm expecting great things from HTC, but lets see...
The only con that I can see for the Z2 is the size...God damn that's big, but Premium =)
194. strikercho (banned) (Posts: 156; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Yeah, "right" :))) This thing has only one definition: Epic fail!
17. garlic456 (Posts: 251; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Don't be dissapointed, this is "Samusng" S5, not Samsung :D
39. datphoneguy (Posts: 145; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
You got that right...almost feel like crying....
41. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3509; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah this is... A HUGE DISAPPONTMENT. So Papasmurf? What do you say now? :D
46. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It's still one hell of a phone. Not worthy of an upgrade from a S4, but still great nonetheless. How's your day job of trolling going for you?
53. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3509; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
It's quite a bad thing if it's not worth upgrading the S4... It's almost a whole year newer....
It's a nice job. Check out this site to earn 599 bucks a day:www.carreeroftrolling.org
55. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Same holds true with the 5 to 5S and Z1 to Z2. Did we forget about that?
62. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3509; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Age difference between Z1 and Z2 is a lot smaller.
73. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
So that's the excuse? Lol that's cute. Bias is great isn't it?
94. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3509; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yaaay I'm cute! Now I'm going to sleep with a cute face
171. nightfury (Posts: 61; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
Dude z2 is worth an upgrade...viewing angles fixed...battery improved ..weight went down...remember its water proof not water resistant ...1 more GB ram added unlike s5 only 2GB...design is such a premium feeling on Sony...
67. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1012; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
It's funny how earlier today everyone was commenting on the Xperia Z2 as being "late to the game" or underwhelming because they thought it wouldn't be able to compete with the yet-to-be-unveiled flagships like the S5.
That's the problem with being a fanboy. Maybe soon they'll learn to not have their heads stuck up one company's behind.
75. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
They see Samsung and bash. Really sad actually.
140. sarge77 (Posts: 202; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Sony's problem is it sticks with certain carriers while samsung is on every carrier and gs5 water proof as well.
169. aksa123 (Posts: 293; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
This is NOT a flagship mate, just another high-end phone.
They should have named it galaxy s4s lol.
4. Jason2k13 (Posts: 861; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
well this is sad... im sticking to my galaxy S4, im quite disappointed with samsung not because of the specs and features... but the design :(
76. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Yeah the features are good, although I'd prefer 3GB RAM.
But the design is getting boring now. I do like the back though, reminds me of the Nexus 7 1st gen. I'm going Oppo this year.
5. HASHTAG (Posts: 245; Member since: 31 Jan 2014)
Those bezels looks just as big as the S4...
7. xplayer57 (Posts: 32; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
WTF!!!!! ITS more like GS3 double (s)........
22. PunyPoop (Posts: 750; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Make it a triple! S LOL... It's the same, same, and same!
8. alltechinside (Posts: 248; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
I really hope there is a premium or a prime version.... because this still doesn't look any different.....
11. salehsobhan (Posts: 15; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
For the first time I can proudly say my windows phone is better spec'd than the latest generation galaxy flagship. Thus better in every way possible.
12. sip1995 (Posts: 1330; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
No QHD, no SD 805, no 3 GB of Ram.....Nokia lumia 1820 will kick your ass GS5
19. salehsobhan (Posts: 15; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
No need for 1820, existing 1520 and icon kicks SV's ass...
29. sip1995 (Posts: 1330; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Nope.....Nokia lumia has QHD, SD 805, 3 gigs of Ram, 20 mp pure view camera + 4k video
142. lucid.brat (Posts: 104; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Gs 5 really disappoint me....will wait for HTC m8 nad Lumia 1820
15. Diego! (Posts: 535; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
WTF???? Samsung, what the hell were you thinking??
23. Amir1 (Posts: 301; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
samsung and apple are a thing of the past. more of the same , boring. sony>lg>htc>rest. enough said. just look at the new smartphones and tell me which company shines the most. sony is. sony is the most promising. they are the next top player in a few years. jump to xperia. :-) oh, and don't come to me with your samsung sale charts. i'm taking about a fresh smartphone.
30. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
So what's so special about the Z2? It's a smaller Note 3 and G2 Pro lol.
37. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Please don't be ignorant mate.
Z2 will kill this. Even G2 is better than this SH*T.
54. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Same rant every year but yet never holds true. Please don't be ignorant. Z2 won't succeed since it's only tied down to one carrier in the US and is priced extremely high everywhere else. G2 really missed the mark in sales.
93. PBXtech (Posts: 1024; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
I own a G2, outstanding phone. Don't see anything here in the S5 that would make me even consider wanting to jump.
59. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I'm not sure about the image sensor size but if you put 5.2" display, stereo speaker and 3200 mAh battery your beloved S5 will be bigger and thicker than Z2.
84. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Dimensions were never given, but if you say so.
The Z2 is a replica of the Z1 besides processor, which still has the same GPU, and screen size and a tiny bit larger battery. That's it.
152. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
"Dimensions were never given, but if you say so." I agree with that but i'm pretty sure that 3200 mAh battery will be physically larger than the 2800 mAh battery, if i'm not wrong 5.2" display is about 2.5 mm larger than 5.1" display (even about 5 mm larger than 5" display) and I'm sure the stereo speakers require more space than the single speaker.
From what i see Z2 is a perfection of Z1.
3GB of ram will help Z2 with multi tasking.
IPS display, Triluminos technology and Live Colour LED will take the viewing experience to another level and no one can complain about narrow viewing angles any more.
Digital noise cancellation, ClearAudio+ and Stereo speakers will serve any music lovers.
And i think 3200 mAh battery is a huge improvement because Sony can put larger battery into thinner body, in the same time samsung can't do the same thing with their S5.
187. Taters (Posts: 4735; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Actually Samsung can add a 3200mah battery ina thinner body easily.
Just make it as ridiculously tall and wide as the Z2. Samsung chose not to do that though and figured 2800 mah was enough and kept it only tall and wide rather than ridiculously tall and wide.