Samsung Galaxy S5 could be designated as "medical equipment" in Korea
0. phoneArena 27 Feb 2014, 21:07 posted on
South Korean authorities are reviewing the Galaxy S5 to see if its Heart Rate Sensor is enough to make the smartphone "medical equipment"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
56. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Lol Xperia worships Sony and LG like there's no tomorrow and has the nerve to play the "techie" card. Who is he trying to fool - The kids over by the sandbox?
59. maherk (Posts: 3320; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
He is desperate for those green numbers next to his comments. He tries so damn hard for him, and he should be awarded for his hard work!
68. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Guess what? Green thumbs have no meaning outside his website. The bandwagon is a funny group of people haha.
"I just got three green thumbs today on a comment about Smurf!" Okay... Do you want a cookie?
77. Ashoaib (Posts: 3223; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
May be this is what he like, the green thumbs... otherwise he wont bother to express himself in everyway... same goes to smurf.... and I feel smurf is a troll too who is so touchy n sensitive....
79. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I only learned from the best - XperiaDROID. :')
97. Cicero (Posts: 836; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
So how DO YOU LOOK? I'm asking about your "exterior" not in "clothing case". Are you like S5 or Xperia? Or maybe Huawei?
101. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Lol this was a weird comment on so many levels....
103. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I'm none of them, I'm just a normal tech lover like the others here.
105. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Yeah, like many on this site. You're totally correct.
83. rd_nest (Posts: 1575; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Still trolling? You don't give up, do you?
I have been noticing you. You troll every other manufacturer's article. The most retarded person I have seen lately.
87. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Trolls all articles except Sony's me LG's. Thank god I'm not the only one that noticed.
88. Just.Saying (Posts: 132; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
You do know that samsung makes medical equipment too right ????
90. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I love how your username can perfectly be added to the end of your sentence.
2. iqjumpuw (Posts: 51; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
I just don't get it. Who would need a heart rate sensor on their phone? Am I just behind in trend? It just sounds like a huge gimmick. I'm sure it wasn't cheap to add the sensor on the phone either.
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It would be of use to those who are athletic and like to keep track of their health, but OIS could have made the cut.
9. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
If I was that much into fitness, I'd buy the SS Gear Fit instead of grabbing for a phone every time.
And btw, I think the Fit is a really cool device. Looks great and has great features, thinking about picking one up.
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
But you'd have to buy it as a separate device. It all depends on the person and what they do. If its useful to you, then use it.
21. joey_sfb (Posts: 5184; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Samsung is under pressure to include the latest tech first mostly thanks to the competition.
The key word is critical mass and S5 will bring med tech to the masses.
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
All OEMs are under pressure to include the latest tech..
Apple - Touch ID
HTC - BoomSound
LG - KnockOn / Rear keys
Sony - IP58 certified phones
Nokia - OIS
42. akki20892 (Posts: 3896; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Samsung - Ugly Design lolololol..... haha
46. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Yet the ugly design has haters like you talking about the S5 non stop. ;)
95. LiyanaBG (Posts: 381; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
Really? I thought you got hurt and needed a band aid also known as S5 :P
51. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Booooooo... Take some notes from Nokia's marketing team.
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
No one needs a heart rate sensor on their phone, this is just made for doctors and nurses. This is more like a medical smartphone than a normal smartphone, band-aid back design and a heart rate sensor, I guess that pretty explains it all.
15. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Your opinion is protected under the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights but it does not explain E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G so yeah...:)
39. galanoth07 (Posts: 44; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Doctors and nurses would rather have an electronic blood pressure device that checks heart rate and blood pressure than buying a device with higher price
73. sniperdroid (Posts: 146; Member since: 23 May 2013)
I think you guys are looking at this all wrong, this is a portable heart rate sensor that you can carry anywhere because it's in your phone and it's not designed for commercial use just personal. Also a lot of people care about their health and would rather get this than buy another stand alone device. I'm just saying
75. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
In a world where diabetes is rapidly increasing in numbers each year, it makes sense.
55. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
According to every Samsung hater, everything they do is a gimmick and touch wiz is a plague to humanity.
That said I agree with you. Most of the things really aren't needed these days. I just wanted the biggest and nicest screen in the most compact form factor possible and some good specs.
I don't need waterproofing, boom sound(I don't blast music in public, I use headphones), heart rate monitors, ois( not a pro photographer and if I was I would use a nice camera), fingerprint scanners etc.
Samsung use to get it but unfortunately they are following in Sony and HTC in trying to differentiate rather than make the most powerful phone they can in a the most compact size they can. That looks like it ended with the GS4.
72. LiyanaBG (Posts: 381; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
Taters = Samsung employee paid student. if you want people to respect you be honest when you see a fail admit it.
76. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
He's paid by Samsung because you don't agree with what he says? So by your logic, you're a Sony employee paid student then, right?
117. christophersalse (Posts: 99; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
Why don't you just go away? We get it, you hate the S5. Why do you have to repeat it over and over and over again? Go and frolic in the enchanted Sony land.
85. istitch (Posts: 180; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
for all i know, any smartphone with a flash can be used as a heart rate device, just download the apps from the store for free... though im not sure the accuracy for that
4. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Wonder if people suddenly being able to check their rates, will start to mellow more?
This could be a really good thing.
80. redmd (Posts: 1208; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Or they will start to panic more if they see their heart rate went up to 150.
18. gnppw (Posts: 54; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
the blue band-aid looks nice. I'll get one if they bring the snapdragon version to my country. :)
20. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
What country do you live in? If they haven't released a Qualcomm model of a Galaxy S in your country before, they won't his time around.
78. redmd (Posts: 1208; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
i like the black band-aid more. It reminds me of nexus 7.
81. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Which I gave my mother and she's still in love with it.
28. noteseries (Posts: 80; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
they should equip s5 with pulseoxymetri, thats would be very useful for medical practice
33. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1966; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
so the S5 is made also for nurses and Docks too cool,..luv the blu and blk band aid too,an it should've come with first aid kit too,.
47. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
That's what the dollar store is for lol.
41. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3540; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
What I don't get is the big deal on the heart rate monitor. There are apps in the play store that do the same thing using the phones led flash. You put the tip of your finger over the camera lens, the led lights the area, and the camera records the pulsing of the blood. And it's available for any phone with a camera & flash. So why engineer something that's functionality can be added with an app?
49. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Because it can be added to the phone already instead of having to download it yourself maybe...?
52. maherk (Posts: 3320; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
True, but they aren't as accurate or as fast as the one on the S5.
99. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3540; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
First, no one knows that they are any more accurate at this time. Second, adding that to the phone increases the cost of the phone does it not? So why pay for something extra on the phone, when it can be downloaded for free?
I can see checking the heart rate with the fitness band that will be available separately, that will be the most accurate this side of actual medical equipment. But IMHO, it just feels like I'd be paying for something that I can get for free.
And before you go and dismiss this as the whining of a Samsung hater, I had a GS3. I switched because after a year the performance was markedly down. Even after the 4.3 update and a factory reset, it would bog down quite a bit. Add to that a screen burn in problem, GPS issues, and a battery that couldn't get me more than 7 hours when it initially got around 15, and I decided to try something else. I won't rule out another Sammy device, but I expect a little better quality before I'll consider it again. Just my $.02.
86. Sondae (Posts: 273; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
Well this is a bold idea that samsung is pushing specially about the S health and heart rate sensor. No wonder its design look like a band aid specially the gold color.
93. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10408; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Like your comment? Same as all others?
108. Mfa901 (Posts: 246; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
By the hate comments about s5 it seems like ppls dont want a phone but a time machine....
My openion is that without using the phone we should not say any thing wrong about phones.samsung is the worlds largest phone selles and it knows what their customers want...
109. jraza (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Its true from the day Galaxy s 5 announce i red many comments against the s5 at PA and GSM arena, at first the die hard fan of samsung ( including me ) were speechless or somehow quite but now they are pushing things around,
i see many phones " new phones' ( except sony ) those are somehow identical ( front side of phones ) to s5 are praised as good design, but s5 was really disregarded and called with bad design.
It is also a fact that the Samsung fans were expecting something REALLY new but its not the case with s5 but i think the s5 will do good business ( coz considering those who have s3 or s2 it will be a good upgrade for them ), on the other hand other companies like HTC who were suffering the financial lose have good chance to put up good fight and make some money , i certainly believe in good competition and good competition is coming ahead for sure, i really wanted companies like HTC, SONY, OPPO, Apple to come up with good ideas, design and hardwares. For Samsung this should be a warning so they really should work hard to come up with new ideas in terms of design and hardware, it will be also good if they work on their touch wiz ( though i like it ). peace!!!!
110. jackson_kaeluen (Posts: 87; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
The Galaxy S5 its on the list of HOT PHONES! :/
111. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
PapaSmurf... chill bro. Let people express their hate if they want... last year every iPhone article PA put out had over 100 hate comments. We know you love this phone man but looking back at the S5 articles 25 of the 100 comments are from you man...lol just like this artictle.
you guys went on and on arguing about a band aid joke. smh Really??