Samsung Galaxy S5 camera under the microscope: in-house Samsung sensors make fast auto-focus magic possible
0. phoneArena 04 Apr 2014, 09:21 posted on
After years of reliance on Sony camera image sensors in its flagships, this year, Samsung is finally ready to ship the Galaxy S5 with its own, in-house ISOCELL sensor…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Yeah, it sounds good. But overall camera performance still left behind the G2.
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9813; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The S4 camera is better than the G2. The S5's camera is miles ahead thanks to the 801 and ISOCELL tech sorry.
9. geordie8t1 (unregistered)
i heard that some of the s5 samples were actually worse then the s4 in certain conditions, that being said the samples were a pre production unit, will be looking forward to seeing proper comparisons on a final retail model
15. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
" heard that some of the s5 samples were actually worse then the s4 in certain conditions"
It was said " some were not better then the s4 in certain conditions"
20. nk_blu (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
I would have to agree to this. I had a chance to play with S5 demos at Samsung roadshow. While it did capture impressed amount of detail in low light, there was just too much noise. I'm pretty sure they can tweak the software side of things by retail launch or future updates.
12. gabrielvoica (Posts: 60; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
and you used the G2 so much that you got to this conclusion,right!?
as a former owner of both the S4 and the G2 i can tell you that the G2 is better in everything....waaaay better...
use them first and then spread misleading info if you still can...
and in the android realm,the Z1 is for now the camera phone to get...using it right now and it's nothing less than spectacular...
use them first...
17. jeeta444 (Posts: 135; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
yes very true,,, any unbiased person could result Z1camera as the best in android...and Z2 has even improved camera over Z1...The Sony G lens 1/2.3" 20.7 mp sensor quality is unmatchable...
19. Jason2k13 (Posts: 836; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
i think you are misleading the info... saying G2 camera is 'way better' than the S4 already proved it. Maybe show us some camera samples and explain to me how the G2 camera is 'way better'?
And yes i tried both phones, even the Z1 and in my opinion the Z1 is the worst, because alot of shots turns out blurry when compared to the G2 and S4.
21. Ashoaib (Posts: 2839; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
I have tried note 3 and z1 together, note 3 is a better performer over all... z1 is not consistant in photo results
30. gabrielvoica (Posts: 60; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
just google it...ok..
and trying is not the same with owning and using them day by day...and to say that the Z1 is the worst demonstrates me how much knowledge you have in these things...the Z1 has the biggest sensor put on any android phone ever and it's a Gsensor you know,like in Cybershots with a BionZ image processor and Exmor RS. ...and so on...have you heard of depth of field,bokeh,focus!?!?to say that the S4 is better than this is just a bad joke.
i bet that the S4 that you praise so much is even better than Lumia 1020 or 808PW...am i right?!
and about the G2,just check reviewers on Youtube if you don't believe my words...or with the users of that phone...
so long,'cause i dont have time for these useless discussions...
25. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1317; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
In the blind testing the G2 camera came on top:
About the S5, I would tend to thing it´s going to be better, but I´ll wait for the reviews
31. gabrielvoica (Posts: 60; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
thank you...good link provided for the fanboys...+1
36. cheetah2k (Posts: 1126; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
This is what I call innovation! Good work Samsung!
37. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Lol. Even SD 805, 850, 855, 890 or whatever will never help TouchWiz from massive lags. Speed on autofocus doesn't mean the S5's camera is better than its competitors.
5. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3682; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Thats absolutely like a troll and hater comment i love to hear.
26. Astoni (Posts: 623; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
As much as i like G2.. no. The camera is not better.
2. Desmortibus (Posts: 66; Member since: 04 Apr 2014)
Best ever display for a smartphone, best battery life ever, best groundbreaking camera technology... Wow, Samsung is getting serious and all of this without any overstated advertisement about it... Cool and classy !...
6. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
13. sergiobr (Posts: 543; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
LG G3 sounds good ! But lets wait for the Samsung K Zoom and production photos from S5. I want something better than my Note 3 , and in pair with my Nokia 808 to upgrade.
24. kryme (Posts: 247; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
i hope they patent the crap out these breakthrough i know samsung is not that company that love to sue.....
4. phljcnth (Posts: 426; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I'd take this over the dual 4 Ultrapixel cam and run-of-the-mill 20.7MP shooter.
7. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3682; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Its still no match to the monstrous duo ultrapixel 4mp camera.
8. Taters (Posts: 4665; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Yeah man. That set up is amazing. It even manages to make any phone that uses it as tall as a phablet. Pretty impressive stuff. Monstrous is a good way to put it. Lol
22. Ashoaib (Posts: 2839; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
I dont think its a sarcasm... it is quite right... but the look of m8 is so beautiful that it doesnt matter
16. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
We don't want best camera, best displey ever, best Wi-Fi , best SoC, best battery life, best dust proof....
We Want ALUMINUM
28. MrKoles (Posts: 349; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Personally, I just want huge bezels...because bezels are so, hmm, thick and comfortable.
32. ecmedic4 (Posts: 273; Member since: 02 May 2013)
How does the S5 have the best wifi? It and the HTC One M8 both have the same wifi 802.11 a,b,g,n,ac 2.4 and 5 ghz. They both also use a Snapdragon 801 processor.
35. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
S5 use the better version of S801(not only overclocked). Check it out.
Check also what Wi-Fi tech use S5.
40. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
"We want the very best of everything in a all in one device"
"We are willing to pay the extra"
11. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3682; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Havent you read my htc fanboy pissing comments. Its absolutely sarcasm.
14. shuaibhere (Posts: 1927; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I think you should have replied me there....btw good one...
18. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
There are not much HTC fanboys here .
Those are mostly iboys pretending to be HTC "lovers", to fight against Samsung, and to promote the aluminum "suprimacy" .
23. Ashoaib (Posts: 2839; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
But iphone5/5s rather feel cheap in hand unlike 4/4s
27. Astoni (Posts: 623; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
That exactly how i fell Ashoaib :p. 4/4s had a really nice buildquality :) 5/5s feels cheaper.
29. antonioli (Posts: 199; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
It's not even better than S4 or Note 3. Imagine G2.
The samples that I saw showed very noise pictures and some pictures with excessive bright. In the theory, even HTC has a beautiful one but only in the paper. When we see the pictures we see the results.
34. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Thanks Victor H. but I didn't understand anything you´ve said
39. gigaraga (Posts: 1426; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
So basically the GS5 has the best of everything for a smartphone: Best camera, battery life, display and performance. It IS the best smartphone, maybe until the Note 4 comes out.
41. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
"Except those disgusting cheap plastic"
42. rangoj (Posts: 46; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
Really incredible, I can't believe they manage to put "Phase detection autofocus" system in mobile camera!!!! O_o - this is really breakthrough!!
I don't like samsung devices because of crappy Touchwiz, but this is something special!
Still, I wouldn't love to own a S5, but I would like to try this camera for few days. :)
To bad they didn't put OIS in camera :/
43. rangoj (Posts: 46; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
G2 camera have terribly slow focus, and it is blurry in low light. It is great in perfect conditions. Nexus 5 can take better photos with HDR+ (in the low light)... So G2 is more marketing then real useful camera... I have try it.
And when I say that nexus 5 HDR+ is much better then any g2 mode, I mean this link: :)
44. Zack_2014 (Posts: 105; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
The Galaxy S4 trumps the G2 anyday in day light and brighter conditions.. It has been proven that the GS4's camera still lives up to today's smartphone standards and in no means inferior.
Talking about dimmer conditions, the G2 may provide a brighter image overall but the S4 isnt behind, it takes comparable pictures to the G2.