Samsung Galaxy S5 and Samsung Galaxy S4 battle it out in drop test
The next drop was from head height, screen side down. Did you cringe just reading those words? That test still could not damage the screen on either model, as both displays remained in perfect condition. The back glass of the Samsung Galaxy S4 did crack. And while the Galaxy S5 landed squarely on the glass, the only thing that happened to that phone was that the back popped off, which is no big deal.
Next drop was from 10 feet. Even though it landed on a corner, the screen of the Samsung Galaxy S4 finally gave in with this test. The Galaxy S5? The screen was still undamaged.
Considering that the Samsung Galaxy S5 screen could not be damaged by a fall as high as 10 feet, what test could actually crack the screen? How about running the phone over with a car. After getting run over, the front glass was amazingly intact, although the glass on the back was shattered.
Overall, we'd say that considering the chances of you dropping your phone from 10 feet are rather small, and the chance of your phone getting run over are even smaller, you're in pretty good shape if you own either phone.
source: techsmartt via BGR
1. fzacek (Posts: 2306; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
What do they mean by the "back glass"? The Galaxies don't have glass on the back of them...
3. TechFreak123 (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
I think the mean the lens of the camera.
13. akki20892 (Posts: 3700; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Oh I see its a dust and waterproof so build quality is different, that's why it didn't crack.
14. Tizen007 (Posts: 545; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
If it had a glass build it couldn't have withstood an SUV. I want to see a Z2 drop test.
26. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 403; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
My guess was that they meant the plastic backcover.
27. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 403; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
But, it looks like it was actually the camera! That's be pretty annoying in use.
The durability is phenomenal though.
28. sharks (Posts: 180; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
just PA doing more marketing for sammy's new flagship. same thing every year, all year.
30. maccess (Posts: 633; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
You need to grow up and think like a mature person..
33. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 405; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Sadly this can be said to alot of people on PA.
35. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
It hurts that samsung makes wonderful devices and websites talk about it? They should talk about how great nokia is :( get a life.
43. pocketbook (Posts: 21; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
He literally says, "...the back glass on the camera has cracked..."
4. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6797; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
So sick and tired of people wasting their money and showing off. what a waste.
22. pwnarena (Posts: 1000; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
that's not showing off. that's helping people see what everybody else don't want to see in their devices. it's a warning on how far a device can go when dropped. why can't you see the point of drop tests? it's a test. it's not about bragging. if you want a braggy stupid person, go to youtube and find that adr*n*s*hit*** whatever guy there who keeps destroying phones for no good reason. his drop tests are so stupid and unrealistic. vent your anger on that fa*ggggooot who can't even speak proper english.
44. pocketbook (Posts: 21; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Yep, braggy people break phones, do reviews on their durability and give some out as contests. Honestly, you've never heard of a promotion?
5. TheChukwu (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Apr 2014)
Well there you have it! Can bet you anything a metal, aluminum phone everyone is so in love with would have bitten the dust with a quickness had it been dropped from 10 feet. And lets not even talk about the front and rear tire of an SUV. That sealed it for me. S5 it is.
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 13306; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
How many of the millions of people that buy phones, base their purchase off of a drop test? "A certain metal and aluminum phone" c'mon man get real. All these phones are gonna sell good, including a certain metal and aluminum phone regardless man.
24. darkkjedii (Posts: 13306; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
At work, the gym, and at home with my family.
25. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 971; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
The M8 also went through the same punishment.
v=_M3lIKiMV5Q&list=PLPCx-1KKqYKwp3XBvu9aeo_juifiS6NHB&s rc_vid=py6zXJoS-cE&feature=iv&annotation_id=an notation_2232494027
31. Diezparda (Posts: 242; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
aluminum or plastic i couldcare less about that, while aluminum might have fancy look and premium feelings if it's not durable then it meaningless. I've seen some xperia drop test, the phone looks fine even unscratched but the screen won't wake up after 2-3 times drop.
6. Miracles (Posts: 560; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Plastic beats car. It's like paper beating rock lol.
7. azntigz (Posts: 2; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
I need a new phone because my S3 doesn't charge anymore.....i have been switching batteries....
29. milos (Posts: 38; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
same with my S3 :-) Ten more days of switching batteries for me though. S5 is comming.
at least we can switch them. Othervise, it would be garbage!
8. uchihakurtz (Posts: 282; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Damn, I did not expect that. That actually makes want the S5.
9. _Bone_ (Posts: 2141; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
OMG IT CRACKED!
Not the S5, my heart for these devices. Pretty damn impressive.
11. TheChukwu (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Apr 2014)
But wait! The M8 survived a run over by 1 tire so actually stand corrected. So it really comes down to being water/dust resistant. I still take the S5
36. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
But it's not certified, so you can't take the risk
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 13306; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
This was the most idiotic test ever. Both of those phones are hella durable. Who the hell stands on a fence, extends their arm all the way up, and drops their phone? Drop tests are supposed to mimick real life situations. Guys make sure not to place your phone and we your car tire, it just might crack.
32. phljcnth (Posts: 320; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
You'll never know if you're gonna be hit by a bus one day and toss your phone 10 feet high. At least this test tells you that your phone should be working even though you're in the hospital.
42. ianbbaa (Posts: 242; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
I was thinking that first and second drop test were to mimmick real life - pocket high and ear high drop...the third one might be considered also a real life test as some basketball players have ear as high as his hand above :) - or 3rd and 4th one is just to make video more attractive. Nice to see how high the S5 can go...isnt it. Do it with your i....
45. pocketbook (Posts: 21; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Yeah, those 10ft people really have a hard time with fragile phones!
49. darkkjedii (Posts: 13306; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Fool, I didn't purchase my iPhone to go around dropping it from various heights. It has however survived un scratched, a thigh high drop to the ground, and I'm 6'5". "Do it with your i....", how about you get a life, if this is what you buy a phone for.
17. almostdone (Posts: 131; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
I wonder if this thing is bullet proof. lol
20. Killua (Posts: 270; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
Wow, It's impressive, even shocking. Honestly, people complained about build quality, but the build quality of S5 is impressive regardless of the material.
23. water99211 (Posts: 11; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
Why don't they try the test multiple times with many Galaxy S4's and Galaxy S5's to see if the same thing would happen every time? On the other hand, they could just give them to me....
52. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2869; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Do you have many S4s & S5s to try multiple drop tests with? Right. I doubt they do either.
53. water99211 (Posts: 11; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
Ya, but one test still isn't enough to draw a complete conclusion but repeating the drop test and still getting the same results would be impressive. Besides, right now I don't have money to buy even one s5 lol.
34. Tez31087 (Posts: 7; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
I would love to have one! My phone is almost down for the count =(
38. Tez31087 (Posts: 7; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
Glad to see Samsung making quality products that can withstand inevitable situations. I would love to have a product that I spend my hard earn money on take a few beatings and still operate and screen not crack.. When conducting future experiments, you should use a device where both phone will be dropped with the same amount of release force.
48. water99211 (Posts: 11; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
Yeah, I wasn't especially exited when the s5 just came out, however I really don't like wearing cases and love that they made the s5 more rugged (and waterproof!)
37. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
I Love these articles. The annoying thing is that haters wont comment here, i can't troll them :/ S5 FTW!
39. devonblue4u (Posts: 41; Member since: 12 Apr 2011)
I broke the camera on my S4 with a mini screwdriver in my pants pocket first. Then a month later it dropped out of my shirt pocket, right on the screen no more than 4 feet up. Cracked it. Both repaired with OEM salvaged parts from eBay.
Every Galaxy phone I've owned I've replaced the screen on. S1, Notes N7000 & SGH-I717 and the S4. I'm getting really good at it, but I'd rather the screen didn't crack. Plus the S5 is water/dust resistant. And I hear the teardown isn't fun.
41. livyatan (Posts: 763; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Now imagine putting a good premium case on top of that..The S5 turns indestructible!
46. shakirmole (Posts: 4; Member since: 03 Apr 2014)
The Nokia 3310 gives a standing ovation to the S5
51. Pinder4u (Posts: 8; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
i cant believe it .. my s4 just broke and screen went blank just from a bench height ... was doing some paper work in a shop when it feel .. lucky i was insured by some third party warranty and got repaired for just 500 INR about 8$
54. jay86 (Posts: 5; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
Looks like the S5 has a very solid build quality!