Samsung Galaxy S5 and Samsung Galaxy Note 4 concepts based on company's design patent
Ivo Maric took the design on the patent applications and whipped up a Samsung Galaxy S5 concept based on the patent that was awarded to Samsung on New Year's Eve. Just like the sketches, Maric's phone includes a curved display on each side of the device. Jermain Smit took a different tact. He used the drawings from the design patent to come up with a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which also features the curved display.
Concept models are just that, a concept designed by a third party based on information gleaned from leaked images and specs or based on nothing more than the designer's own imagination. You can check out what Maric and Smit came up with by clicking on the slideshow below.
Concept models of Samsung Galaxy S5 and SamsungGalaxy Note 4 based on Samsung's design patent Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Google’s Project Ara: the first 'Lego' phone toys around with grand ideas
17 Apr 2014, 09:00
Concept models of Samsung Galaxy S5 and SamsungGalaxy Note 4 based on Samsung's design patent
1. Concept of Samsung Galaxy S5
3. Concept of Samsung Galaxy Note 4
source: Concept Phones (1), (2), GottaBeMobile via AndroidAuthority
1. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 340; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
These look really nice, but honestly I miss the days of softtouch phones. I LOVED the feel of my Thunderbolt, and my Droid Bionic. And honestly, the OG Galaxy Note had the best design from a Galaxy phone IMO.
20. kozza3 (Posts: 573; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
thats your opinion of best designs!? :facepalm:
24. nobelset (Posts: 265; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Opinion- a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. -____-
35. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 340; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
For me the design is important, however I care about the feel a lot more! All of those phones had a great feel. My Galaxy S3 is overall sticky, and the plastic is kind of shifty and poorly finished. The OG Note was very basically finished, I really liked it.
51. jcdz89 (Posts: 52; Member since: 01 Mar 2013)
Apart from speaker placement & glossy plastic, galaxies are nicely design. Note 3 definitely a big jump from s4.
55. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 567; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
its his opinion mannn... why do you bother???
58. Jayshmay (Posts: 65; Member since: 27 Mar 2011)
Isn't this "facepalm" crap something females do?
59. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 567; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
may be you dont understand facepalm..
search on google & see its images for reference...
60. Jayshmay (Posts: 65; Member since: 27 Mar 2011)
I know what it means! I just regard it as a female, or gay or expression.
45. Ashoaib (Posts: 671; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Wow... thats an awsome design if samsung is really going for it... but I affraid they will not bcoz they are used to make very mediocre designs... samsung rock in features but sucks in design...
2. bkzebraphone (Posts: 25; Member since: 12 Dec 2012)
Looks similar to an S4 with the Spigen Slim Armor case on lol. Well, it looks like that from back.
28. apple4never (Posts: 783; Member since: 08 May 2013)
looks like a blackberry curve 9360 in the 2nd pic
3. technomichael (Posts: 17; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Sammy take note and hire this guy onto your design team
10. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
Concept design phones never have curved edges.
Nokia N74 iTalian, German concept designs for iPhones were always rectangular sharp edges.
This idear is not concept, but looks mote like Samsungs iNnovat8 series
13. rangaha (Posts: 82; Member since: 05 Dec 2013)
take note? this concept design was based on samsung's design patent durrr
4. GeekMovement (Posts: 1497; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
hm.. this has my interest in the galaxy s5 even more stirred up. I can't wait to see what the note 4 will look like in the fall as well.
5. uchihakurtz (Posts: 172; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Wow, this looks B-E-A-utiful *drools* Let's hope TouchWiz gets an extreme makeover too :D
32. tenho1982 (Posts: 32; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
I dared to like your comment at first because a dozens of *professional* graphic designers could jump in and laugh at my face, or even could say I'm a Sammy seeder. But on second thought, I need to be honest to vote this comment up.
7. vladimir86 (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Oct 2011)
Hope it's not gonna be for real it don't like it.
8. sergiobr (Posts: 317; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
I´m a Note 3 user and I love it ! I´ll buy Note 4 no matter what design it will have.
36. hellonerds (Posts: 124; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Same here.. had the note 1 and now a note 3.. feels good using the note again. . I'll be getting the note 4 when it comes out.. they better keep it the same size and just make the screen bit bigger and better of course..
9. Ant34 (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
It would be nice if stuck closer to the look of stock Android. The Touchwiz UI looks like something a child threw together.
29. apple4never (Posts: 783; Member since: 08 May 2013)
butthurt sammy fanboys...stock android looks, simple and classy, touchwiz looks like the toy OS found on plastic (not that samys are different) fake phones that play music and stuff lol for kids
46. shuaibhere (Posts: 977; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
It's your opinion and that's his...IMO stock UI looks boring...I prefer touchwiz look over stock...But in looks nothing can beat HTC sense...
26. RohanM (Posts: 110; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
Stock android is boring.. I am using Nexus 4 since last 7 months.. got bored of this so called vannilla android in just first month.. so plane & boring.. no features.. it's like a newly built house without any furniture.. :p
44. milesboy5 (Posts: 126; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
Or one that is clean and polished...don't get me wrong its nice to have some of the added features that you can get from an OEM's take on Android, but after a few months of using sense on the HTC One, my old GNex was quite a refreshment.
11. gamblor77 (Posts: 52; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Looks really nice but it's an absolute shame they don't have front facing speakers. Why do phones always need some form of compromise? It drives me insane!!! Take the HTC one, put a Snapdragon 805, 4gb of RAM, +3500mah removable battery and +32gb expandable storage, UHD low reflection/high brightness AMOLED screen(give or take half an inch in screen size) and Lumia 1020 camera in it. Hell charge $800 for it even and I damn near guarantee it will be the best selling phone of all time.
16. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
I would like the:
Tegra5 A57, instead of S805, or the Exynox6 true Octocore A57 X 8CPU
27. RohanM (Posts: 110; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
lol 5 gig of Ram.. what u want o do with it ? navigate a satelite or what!!
My pc had 4 gig of ram with a 7750 HD GPU & it can rock BF4 & COD 7... 2 gig of ram is enough for a mobile for now...
50. sarge77 (Posts: 201; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
your better off waiting for LG G3 for octo core samsungs not putting it in this they'll probably use snapdragon on this one like always.. The octo core is a joke if a dual core can out perform it.
I'll take powerful specs with a big enough battery to enjoy it on.
30. apple4never (Posts: 783; Member since: 08 May 2013)
might as well make it a 6 inch 10180x19120 display with a hubble telescope camera in it, 1000000mah battery and 5tb ssd with 112gb ram right oh and with a intal knights corner processor so yuove got your 100 core cpu covered all with a 2mm frame? its easy to say but hard to do...think before you post dude
19. nctx77 (Posts: 295; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Lol! The patent was said to have a slightly curved glass, but not a curved screen. This screens tapers much like what the iPhone 6 was rumored to be.
22. vladimir86 (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Oct 2011)
Exynon processor are not good for developer ,for costume rooms it's better to buy a phone powered by Qualcomm or tegra. Check galaxy i9500 against i9505
25. Myrith (Posts: 54; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
I was about to say that I'm really tired of PA posting every single fan-made design they come across. I'd rather have solid news and not speculation.
But when I saw these, I had to admit that these look pretty great.
33. joseram695 (Posts: 45; Member since: 28 May 2012)
I love the look of this concept! Would love to see the S5 and Note 4 have a design like this.
34. Rajanvir (Posts: 21; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
HTC One S + Samsung Galaxy Note 3 design = This design
37. VZWuser76 (Posts: 992; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Actually the first thing that came to mind when I saw image 2 was the older HTC designs, like the Nexus 1 or the Sensation. Maybe just me but the curved top and bottom of the screen is very similar.
40. zachattack (Posts: 444; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
Looks like an uglier smaller note3. Why on earth are they putting fake leather on the back, so ugly. All that money left the design team that was already weak, and went into advertising el o el o el o el
42. amozhi (Posts: 89; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Well it looks like Samsung Omnia HD (Symbian) with slim design
47. Jklaz (Posts: 120; Member since: 01 Jul 2013)
How do cases work with these curved around the edge screens
49. RandomUsername (Posts: 191; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
About time Samsung changed their design...
52. moodysega (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
this one looks like nokia design... the other thread complete HTC look. like this 1. but experience from before on s4... design leak pretty awesome, but ended??? giving me no choice.. being using s4 now... choice for spec... if design, 1. HTC, 2. SonyZ...
hope this is selling concepts...
54. mohamadreza26 (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Jan 2014)
about design: just a copy of htc one s!
56. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 567; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
The renders look amazing.. Specially white one in slide-5...