Samsung Galaxy S4 with stock Android is real: Nexus experience coming on June 26
0. phoneArena 15 May 2013, 12:03 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S4 developer edition is real, folks! Google has just announced the Galaxy S4 with stock Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and none of that TouchWiz wizardry. Pure Android, just as so many people like it…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
42. PhoneAddiction (Posts: 79; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
I hope the T-Mobile version is allowed to flash stock android through odin. That would be nice!
65. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
No OCTO CORE!!!!!
that would be terrible for the dev community... exynos doesn't release its source, so custom kernels would be broken.....
thats why note II people can't use hardware composer on AOSP roms....
Thats one area where I think Quallcomm is better(OMAP 5 would be most ideal though)
70. icyrock1 (Posts: 307; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
If it's a nexus though, wouldn't the source code get released?
79. Meccalangelo (Posts: 25; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
It's a developer edition of a popular phone....Not a Nexus.
2. Alantef (Posts: 287; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)
lol i dont get the price tag...i can get it for 650 now off contract
9. abdane (Posts: 484; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
yes this is the same... but for people who hate touchwiz and want stock feel...
15. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Stock Android with guaranteed version updates is a big deal.
95. kanagadeepan (Posts: 765; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Yes, u can get 650$ carriers' s4 off contract... But you will never get official update earlier, but you will get those FREE bloatware + TouchWiz... Without TouckWiz, the internal memory of 16GB model will be MORE...
Its a win-win for Nexus lovers who are looking for Nexus with SD slot or without OnScreen keys (takes precious screen estate)....
3. HASHTAG (unregistered)
Was excited until I saw the price.
55. TheMan (Posts: 441; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I feel the same, but how much would you pay? If it's less, then (in effect) you're saying it's worth less than the Touchwiz version (priced at $650), which may or may not get all the updates.
83. HASHTAG (unregistered)
I mean, if it was for a 32GB or more, I probably would, but considering that it's only for 16GB, I don't want to have to pay a fortune for it.
And with Samsung's extra software put into Android, you think that would explain the cost, but with just stock Android directly from Google, not Samsung, it would cost less.
I'm not saying it should be $299, like the Nexus 4 but at least $100 less.
56. boosook (Posts: 1252; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
same hardware, same phone… why should it be cheaper?
86. hung2900 (Posts: 881; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Because they are blamers
Blaming blaming everything
And thumbs down attack coz some don't know anything to say
66. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
That is the price range i pay for every flagship smartphone i buy, and i never complain. What's the big deal? Americans are spoiled by massive subsidies, that's why, A 16Gb iPhone 5 cost $749 - 799 here unlocked. The nexus 4 also cost $600 when it was available here.
72. icyrock1 (Posts: 307; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Where do you live? I know it doesn't cost that much in the US/Canada/Mexico/Most of the UK.
5. tech2 (Posts: 2976; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
OMFG ! That's a geek boner !!!!
Don’t know how is it gonna work though. I mean TouchWiz had hardware integration as well like Airview, multiple LED lights, etc. Would they all go useless or they'll be absent in the new device ?
33. phonegeek2 (Posts: 6; Member since: 22 Oct 2012)
Yeah, you're right, however for people who can afford the pricetag of the unllocked "Google-iffied"S4, they'll love it, regardless of whatever Samsung designed into Touchwiz UI. Personally, I used to like Touchwiz moreso, not anymore. I personally think it's too cartoony looking and takes a lot of memory, and battery to run. However to each, their own!
47. tech2 (Posts: 2976; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Also, if u heard the actual presentation. The guy said we are only giving you a 'glimpse' of hardware side of new innovations, then went on introducing the Nexus-ified GS4.
It means we might see other devices with Stock android as well !
96. kanagadeepan (Posts: 765; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
They will be absent for good, since you will get MORE space in 16GB internal memory without TouchWiz...
Further you can get those things (few are not gimmicky) anyway if you want it, just visit xda...
100. tech2 (Posts: 2976; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yeah......The only stuff which I'll actually miss will be S Health and those camera features. I'm fine with rest being gone, though !
I haven't tried rooting my phone yet and have no idea about it. Do you know if it would be easy to bring on those TouchWiz camera features from XDA ?
6. moroninc (Posts: 192; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
thats right... you called it Phone Arena. Big up!
7. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
Awesome! Wish somehow google could have offered it for a lower price but this phone is a beast.
8. Ninetysix (Posts: 1888; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Snapdragon 600 = fail
Exynos 5 = yes please!
21. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I love how the fastest processor currently on the North American market is a "fail". I might just as easily say Exynos 5=fail Snapdragon 800=win.
34. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
And both lag because they run the same poorly written beta software bloat.
38. tedkord (Posts: 7191; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You should join us in 2013. 2009 is so...well, 2009.
49. ballaonnabudget (Posts: 38; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Galaxy S4 still lags guy. Played with a coworkers yesterday and she had those awesome features turned on. That thing had some serious lag going. Stock Android should solve that hopefully.
76. 90ninjas (unregistered)
Samsung's poorly coded TW-Nature UI is to blame for that. Meanwhile, HTC's Sense 5 is like butter.
89. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 140; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
What provider does your coworker have? I heard that AT&T recently updated their's fixing all the lag in the interface.
Watch PhoneDogs Samsung Galaxy s4 30 day Challenge videos for proof.
11. MCrapp (Posts: 315; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
Oh yeah Nexus with sd card slot, good camera and beautiful screen!
40. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
The Camera will not be the same since software is a big part of camera performance. Google hasnt had the best track record when it comes to camera sofware and tuning so far.
74. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
It seems like the post-processing of images was a major part of this keynote though, which bodes well for the future of their camera software. Since what they showed was pretty impressive...granted real world applications of things never turn out as nice.
97. kanagadeepan (Posts: 765; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
It will get 4.3 the week 4.3 is introduced... Dont worry, Be HAPPYYY...
13. tll84 (Posts: 13; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
T-Mobile and AT&T only? No Verizon??? Booooo!!
25. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I don't think we'll ever see an unlocked Verizon phone sold through Play. CDMA and unlocked don't mix. If you want stock on VZW the closest you'll get is a Razr.
53. true1984 (Posts: 686; Member since: 23 May 2012)
or you can root it... or you could if you can get around vzw's security for their bootloaders
85. 14545 (Posts: 1251; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Or he, and I, can leave their crappy network. That seems like a better solution. I won't pay for another phone that isn't GSM because of it being locked down. Not to mention how overpriced VcrapW is.
91. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
And yet.... it still has the best coverage outside of major metro areas. I wouldn't trade that, not matter how frustrating it is to see AT&T get all the best new devices.
92. 14545 (Posts: 1251; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I go outside major metro areas for 10 days every year. And it's not so much better that it was worth their New and Improved© crappy customer service that is open till like 11p only. At that to the fact that we pay 40+ more a month for less service and the fact they want to kick me off my umlimited plan(of which I only use about 4-5 GB total on the two lines) and I'm sick of it.
94. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5685; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
uhh huh, i'm sure that attests to why Verizon has won the J.D. Power & Associates award for Customer Service 4 years in a row.
14. ProblemSolver15 (Posts: 218; Member since: 14 Jun 2010)
Not available on Verizon, though. Nothing a little rooting and boot loader unlocking can't handle. For a lot cheaper than $649 ones, too.
20. tll84 (Posts: 13; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
but isnt rooting risky? im good with tech, but have never done any dev type stuff...so rooting seems overwhelming
67. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
unless one is an idiot....
77. ProblemSolver15 (Posts: 218; Member since: 14 Jun 2010)
Listen, I was just like you at one point. Scared to death of rooting in fear that I would brick my device. I'm 22, I've just graduated college with 2 degrees last week and I've rooted my Galaxy Nexus as well as my S3. This shows that anyone can achieve root status. Each method only took about 10-15 mins. As long as you follow steps to the letter, you'll be fine. Now, I'm not afraid of anything when it comes to rooting, unlocking and flashing because there is always a way to reverse things. Just conduct massive research before you try it and you will be okay. Before I rooted my Nexus I did research for months.
18. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
its like samsung just announce nxt nexus...... or u can say nexus 4s... lol
19. TripleTwo (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 May 2013)
I'd rather get a Nexus 4 and an iPad mini 2 for that price.
22. yowanvista (Posts: 339; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
I wonder if this will sport the Exynos 5 or Crapdragon 600 rebranded S4 Pro chip. And as always, it won't obviously be sold in the rest of the world..
54. true1984 (Posts: 686; Member since: 23 May 2012)
i'm pretty sure if the processor actually sucked they wouldn't use it
23. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Hope fully this is a start of many more products which launch simultaneously with their custom skin and stock android and available via play store directly....am dreaming about the Note 3, Sony togari....etc