Samsung Galaxy S4 software features: Ahead of the game or gimmicky?
0. phoneArena 08 May 2013, 11:54 posted on
Being a successive device, it wasn’t totally surprising to see Samsung build upon its preexisting functions with its TouchWiz experience on the Galaxy S4. For starters, they totally revamped the camera experience, as it boasts an insane amount of neat tricks – even to the point of...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. amro99 (Posts: 105; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
For the first few days ahead of the game, later on gimmicky and all turned off :)
10. XperiaUser (unregistered)
the whole S4 is a gimmicky . Octa core processor ,Toyish Amoled display , lots of bloatware and ofcourse these mostly useless features ;)
50. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
The Galaxy S4 design team probably spent their time idling, then in the last minute they collected all their ideas and put them into a half hearted construction and called it the next big thing 2.0
82. Nephylim (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
who are u? The girlfriend or the mom.?
Sorry ma'am I did not bother to "XperiaUser" :(
P.S. Xperia user is a nickname not Xperia users. o_O
80. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Xperia users can't say crap, the Z is full of lag.
150. giri555 (Posts: 111; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
Z, and lag? are you hallucinating or lying ? Don't try to spread false rumours....
151. Mehrzad_wayne (Posts: 10; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
hahaha you guys are funny ! always fighting XD
23. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
You cannot air scroll left and right? WTF.
25. sid07desai (Posts: 290; Member since: 03 May 2012)
I love the HTC One better. But someday, I have "unfortunately" have to get an S4, I will put CM10.1 right after unboxing it. Touchwiz is just intolerable.
54. torr310 (Posts: 864; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Things like Multi-Window on Note 2. I went to XDA Note 2 forum and found most people do not use it at all or rarely use it. Verizon set it limited to use on certain apps too. I have to admit I was hype when I saw the multi-window feature at first.
69. buccob (Posts: 2574; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Features like Multi-Window are intended for power users who use their smartphone almost like a PC...
Believe me, I have a mere Xperia Acro S and many times coupled with a BT Keyboard, OTG cable, Mouse, HDMI Monitor and its included dock it is truly a pocket pc...
And of course the right Third Party Apps...
146. juanyunis (Posts: 73; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
I used this featured a lot on my Note II, it was very helpful to me, sometimes i needed to use whatsapp and internet at the same time, or maps and whatsapp, etc. With my new S4, i've used it a couple of times, but i really miss the popup browser feature and the paper artist.
57. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 164; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
these software features would be good if it didn't eat the whole ram and internal space
78. buccob (Posts: 2574; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I think the S3 brought more useful features in comparisson.
I used to have active many of them like:
- Slap the screen with the palm to shut any sound off... (music specially)
- touch with 1 finger while zoomed in a picture and move the phone around to pan as if you were there... (Awesome for panoramic pictures)
- Screenshot by scaning with the side of your palm... Genius
And all of that was before the 4.2 update... which brough many more features, but I was robbed before that.
Now to compare this experience with my current Xperia Acro S, "special" features that I use are:
- Use 2 finger vertical scrolling on list that normally do not have the side scroll button. (like "All" list inside the App setting)
- CEC remote control through a simple HDMI cable is almost an exclusive for Sony phones that have microHDMI port... (now MHL make use of that similar feature) I use this all the time.
- Smart Connect, is truly a wonderful app, not on the same level of Llama or Tasker, but it does natively a bunch of neat features...
- Quickshot in the camera... so you can unlock and take a picture just by pressing the camera button... really fast most of the time
What Sony should kill (and I think it already has on new phones is)
- Overview on homescreen
Overall I think Samsung is innovating a lot and even if its gimmiky, they are focusing on the right things... because hardware has more limitations than software... in this day and age. Manufacturers should start focusing on better software and less in beefing up specs... 12mp camera is enough for me... heck even 8mp if its good it is enough... a Snapdragon S4 quadcore is also enough for a while... 2GB of ram is enough for this year... even 720p screen is enough of up to 5" screen..... BUT software not optimized, with little features and lack of innovation it is not enough!...
114. sharks (Posts: 236; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Finally! PA agrees to what i've been saying that since the first day when i got my S4... The damn thing is a nice device but choke-full of gimmicks that you're never really going to use in real life, at least not on a daily basis. After you disable/ignore all those gimmicks, you're basically left with a device that's lesser than what you'd get with the HTC One. I've actually bought an HTC One as well so i know the huge difference first-hand and the HTC One is an everyday delight to use!
125. geekfreak (unregistered)
A poll could give us clear picture on this.
145. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3108; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
After using the HTC One, I even have to admit it is the better device. Sure I wish it had a slightly bigger display and battery but my god is the design and display gorgeous. Sense 5 is also very slick and responsive and looks great too. The keyboard is easy to type on and the auto correct is amazing as well.
The camera has its hits and misses with it being only 4 megapixel but it does take some amazing photos even in low light conditions.
I think I am just going to buy the 64gb model on at&t and be a very happy camper.
Samsung needs to step it up with the Note 3.
2. Malki (Posts: 68; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
..and I hope samsung will fix all these ''problems'' soon
64. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Strange you didn't say anything wrong and yet so many people Thumb you down?
95. quakan (Posts: 1375; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
If you haven't noticed it, many Android folks here have turned on Samsung now that they have reached Apple status so now they like all things Android except Samsung.
144. Azure01 (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
You have to understand that android fans have serious "contrarian" issues. They want the underdog to win and as soon as it does they look for the next "struggling" android company...no loyalty.
102. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
no.. too many samsung hater here actually.. they could be fans from all manufacture except samsung itself..
142. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
From my long experience on PhoneArena, I can tell you that "before" there was a lot of Android fans here. But now it seems there are also lots of Apple and Windows fan.
22. abdane (Posts: 494; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
i won't consider it a fail, the HTC one is a fail... let's wait for the sales and see ;)
26. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
HTC One is a fail? Uhh......are you sure?
Yes, the One doesn't have smart features like the S4's, but the One's Boomsound can BOOM the S4 to the wall, and yes, the screen on the S4 is cracked.