Samsung Galaxy S4 software features: Ahead of the game or gimmicky?
0. phoneArena 08 May 2013, 11:54 posted on
Being a successive device, it wasn’t totally surprising to see Samsung build upon its preexisting functions with its TouchWiz experience on the Galaxy S4. For starters, they totally revamped the camera experience, as it boasts an insane amount of neat tricks – even to the point of...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. amro99 (Posts: 60; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
For the first few days ahead of the game, later on gimmicky and all turned off :)
10. XperiaUser (unregistered)
the whole S4 is a gimmicky . Octa core processor ,Toyish Amoled display , lots of bloatware and ofcourse these mostly useless features ;)
50. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1207; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
The Galaxy S4 design team probably spent their time idling, then in the last minute they collected all their ideas and put them into a half hearted construction and called it the next big thing 2.0
82. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
who are u? The girlfriend or the mom.?
Sorry ma'am I did not bother to "XperiaUser" :(
P.S. Xperia user is a nickname not Xperia users. o_O
80. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Xperia users can't say crap, the Z is full of lag.
150. giri555 (Posts: 95; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
Z, and lag? are you hallucinating or lying ? Don't try to spread false rumours....
151. Mehrzad_wayne (Posts: 10; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
hahaha you guys are funny ! always fighting XD
23. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
You cannot air scroll left and right? WTF.
25. sid07desai (Posts: 237; Member since: 03 May 2012)
I love the HTC One better. But someday, I have "unfortunately" have to get an S4, I will put CM10.1 right after unboxing it. Touchwiz is just intolerable.
54. torr310 (Posts: 288; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Things like Multi-Window on Note 2. I went to XDA Note 2 forum and found most people do not use it at all or rarely use it. Verizon set it limited to use on certain apps too. I have to admit I was hype when I saw the multi-window feature at first.
69. buccob (Posts: 964; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Features like Multi-Window are intended for power users who use their smartphone almost like a PC...
Believe me, I have a mere Xperia Acro S and many times coupled with a BT Keyboard, OTG cable, Mouse, HDMI Monitor and its included dock it is truly a pocket pc...
And of course the right Third Party Apps...
146. juanyunis (Posts: 72; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
I used this featured a lot on my Note II, it was very helpful to me, sometimes i needed to use whatsapp and internet at the same time, or maps and whatsapp, etc. With my new S4, i've used it a couple of times, but i really miss the popup browser feature and the paper artist.
57. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 154; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
these software features would be good if it didn't eat the whole ram and internal space
78. buccob (Posts: 964; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I think the S3 brought more useful features in comparisson.
I used to have active many of them like:
- Slap the screen with the palm to shut any sound off... (music specially)
- touch with 1 finger while zoomed in a picture and move the phone around to pan as if you were there... (Awesome for panoramic pictures)
- Screenshot by scaning with the side of your palm... Genius
And all of that was before the 4.2 update... which brough many more features, but I was robbed before that.
Now to compare this experience with my current Xperia Acro S, "special" features that I use are:
- Use 2 finger vertical scrolling on list that normally do not have the side scroll button. (like "All" list inside the App setting)
- CEC remote control through a simple HDMI cable is almost an exclusive for Sony phones that have microHDMI port... (now MHL make use of that similar feature) I use this all the time.
- Smart Connect, is truly a wonderful app, not on the same level of Llama or Tasker, but it does natively a bunch of neat features...
- Quickshot in the camera... so you can unlock and take a picture just by pressing the camera button... really fast most of the time
What Sony should kill (and I think it already has on new phones is)
- Overview on homescreen
Overall I think Samsung is innovating a lot and even if its gimmiky, they are focusing on the right things... because hardware has more limitations than software... in this day and age. Manufacturers should start focusing on better software and less in beefing up specs... 12mp camera is enough for me... heck even 8mp if its good it is enough... a Snapdragon S4 quadcore is also enough for a while... 2GB of ram is enough for this year... even 720p screen is enough of up to 5" screen..... BUT software not optimized, with little features and lack of innovation it is not enough!...
114. sharks (Posts: 160; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Finally! PA agrees to what i've been saying that since the first day when i got my S4... The damn thing is a nice device but choke-full of gimmicks that you're never really going to use in real life, at least not on a daily basis. After you disable/ignore all those gimmicks, you're basically left with a device that's lesser than what you'd get with the HTC One. I've actually bought an HTC One as well so i know the huge difference first-hand and the HTC One is an everyday delight to use!
125. geekfreak (unregistered)
A poll could give us clear picture on this.
145. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2840; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
After using the HTC One, I even have to admit it is the better device. Sure I wish it had a slightly bigger display and battery but my god is the design and display gorgeous. Sense 5 is also very slick and responsive and looks great too. The keyboard is easy to type on and the auto correct is amazing as well.
The camera has its hits and misses with it being only 4 megapixel but it does take some amazing photos even in low light conditions.
I think I am just going to buy the 64gb model on at&t and be a very happy camper.
Samsung needs to step it up with the Note 3.
2. Malki (Posts: 39; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
..and I hope samsung will fix all these ''problems'' soon
64. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1437; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Strange you didn't say anything wrong and yet so many people Thumb you down?
95. quakan (Posts: 1064; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
If you haven't noticed it, many Android folks here have turned on Samsung now that they have reached Apple status so now they like all things Android except Samsung.
144. Azure01 (Posts: 126; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
You have to understand that android fans have serious "contrarian" issues. They want the underdog to win and as soon as it does they look for the next "struggling" android company...no loyalty.
102. maccess (Posts: 450; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
no.. too many samsung hater here actually.. they could be fans from all manufacture except samsung itself..
142. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1437; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
From my long experience on PhoneArena, I can tell you that "before" there was a lot of Android fans here. But now it seems there are also lots of Apple and Windows fan.
22. abdane (Posts: 469; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
i won't consider it a fail, the HTC one is a fail... let's wait for the sales and see ;)
26. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4644; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
HTC One is a fail? Uhh......are you sure?
Yes, the One doesn't have smart features like the S4's, but the One's Boomsound can BOOM the S4 to the wall, and yes, the screen on the S4 is cracked.
32. saket.shrivastava (Posts: 55; Member since: 02 Apr 2012)
the camera and boomsound are something that can be conveniently used.
37. abdane (Posts: 469; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Camera on GS4 in daytime is alot better than the "ultra pixel" gimmick, and yea the sound is better, but not ALOT better, i actually tried it and wasn't as i expected it, the phone is over-hyped... only time could tell ;)
HATERS GONNA HATE !
44. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4644; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Actually, the Ultrapixel camera on the One captures 300% more light and it captures decent photos.
And the One has dual frontal stereo speakers that are teamed with powerful amplifiers, no smartphone speakers can beat the One's Boomsound yet.
46. _Bone_ (Posts: 1995; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
it captures the exact same amount of light
68. ebubekir26 (Posts: 305; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
dude just stop you know you're gonna get disliked by the haters, just laugh at their comments and enjoy using your Samsung device ;)
45. Nikolas.Oliver (Posts: 1304; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Mate do you mind doing a "s**t test" on your xperia z ? Would really appreciate it
Since no one has ever done it before
47. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4644; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Sorry bro, I can't help you with that.
Just go to Youtube, everything you need is on Youtube, including piss test and sperm test. Eww!
120. shamrock (Posts: 6; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Yo Nicholas , you really hate xperia z that much man!!!
why don't you take a leak on whatever fu***n phone of yours and see for yourself...
55. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
Htc one needs the boomsound, bcuz the mic sucks , LOL
132. N.Reynolds (Posts: 252; Member since: 15 Feb 2011)
So you are saying since the mic sucks they over powered the speaker so it will interfere and make the mic even worse? Nephylim your comments are just stupid. Take this into consideration. "It's better to sit there and say nothing and let people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Yes the S4 is a nice phone. Runs very nice. But in 2013 it isn't anything special. They tried to make it something special by adding these features but it's not many have already pointed out. They are cool features but aren't something you use everyday and are thankful your phone does them. I base my opinion on phones off of hardware and real life performance. Not a list of (like the article states) gimmicky features. I can change the software myself so why pick a phone based on that? The One has a lot better design, sound, and camera (for everyday use). Most people don't need a 13 Megapixel camera. For all of you ignorant people out there a higher megapixel doesn't mean a better camera. It's all about the sensor. High megapixel is nice for good sized high res prints how ever most people aren't using their phone for that. The benefit of boomsound (in my opinion) isn't how loud it is because it isn't THAT much louder than every other phone. It's how crisp and clear it is as well as the simple idea of putting 2 speakers on the front none on the back. I could continue to go on but it is ridiculous that your ignorant comments have gotten this much of a response out of me already.
141. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
1) "Most people don't need a 13 Megapixel camera"
then.... tell me, WHO needs aluminium phones, or 2 speaker on the front ???
2) "For all of you ignorant people out there a higher megapixel doesn't mean a better camera"
U right, BUT aluminium doesn't mean a better material (dent, scratch)
70. Litch420 (Posts: 2; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
Yes using my phone as my stereo system is something I do on a constant basis. It reminds me of the times when the "cool" guys walked around with a boombox on their shoulder so everyone could hear what the heck they were listening to. BOOM BOOM BOOM.
133. N.Reynolds (Posts: 252; Member since: 15 Feb 2011)
I don't know who you are around but I see people use their phones to play music everyday multiple times a day. No, one shouldn't walk around town with their music playing but as I'm sitting here typing this on my phone this morning I have some tunes playing in the background. Now a days for most people their smartphone is their main source of music as well. Why be restricted to headphones or a separate bluetooth speaker every time you want to enjoy some decent sound?
35. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1616; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
And you just are an incomprehensible useless fan boy...
58. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
LMAO ... "S4 is a fail"
you made my day....kid
66. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Ain't no kidding, S4 is a fail.
I just made your day again.
71. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
hahaha, S4 sales will made your day ....;) kiddy
just wait :P
84. ecmedic4 (Posts: 96; Member since: 02 May 2013)
The S4 is just as over hyped. Seen many tech sites now say those "features" are more gimmicky than useful. Also the 16gb version, those gimmicks...errr "features" take up most of the internal memory. Yes it has an SD slot, but cant run apps from the SD card out of the box. Yes i know ppl will say just root it, but not everyone wants to do that and shouldnt have to just for more internal space. Not to mention the screen blurring issues. Every phone is gonna have flaws though, but the S4 isnt as great as it was hyped up to be by samsung. Also every "galaxy" series device looks very very similar, from the phones to the tablets, they all have the same design basically.
86. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
*cough* 32 gb version
Over hyped ??? U mean auto-over hyped, bcuz S2 and S3 is very very good phones, even note 2.
Yea, u right calling gimmick to these features, thats why I will buy 32 gb version. ;)
143. ecmedic4 (Posts: 96; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Is samsung actually going to release a 32 and 64 gb version? If i remember right, they were suppose to with the S3 and if i remember correctly again, they never did. Given i could be wrong and if i am then i accept that. I dont deny the S4 is a good phone, but its not all its hyped up to be by samsung and the fanboys such as yourself. Those so called "features" arent innovation IMO, and they have caused lag on the phone. To me its just as easy and as quick just to touch the screen to flip through webpages or scroll, its a TOUCH screen phone, its made to be touched by your hands/fingers to operate it. From what ive seen its no quicker or any easier to use the air gestures, as they dont always work properly, whereas your finger is gonna work 99% of the time, and i say 99% as something could go wrong with the touch screen resulting in it not registering your touch. Throwing a bunch of gimmicky sometimes working features in a phone that very closely resembles the S3 and claiming its "gonna be the greatest thing since color tv" is totally overhyped. If you and others want to spend your money buying it, fine thats your choice and i could really care less what phone you buy. Im happy with my choice and i respect others choice, but its not the greatest thing since color tv by far, or that innovative. Truth is, no company has really shown any mind blowing innovation in a good while.
63. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1437; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
How come so many people Thumps you up for such a close perspective comments. Yes the buzz is over, but S4 is not a fail. It is a competent product with some few gimmicks.
112. xsmartphonex (Posts: 36; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
if it sells well than how is it a fail?!? dumbass.
5. SoulEater1667 (Posts: 23; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
S4 has a lot of features and many people will say : There are to many!! Yes , there are plenty of them but so you can chose wich features you like the most and practicaly customize your phone for your needs.
For sure, most of them will be improved and it it will be awsome!
6. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
John V, you'll be getting lots of explanations from the pro-boys. They've got everything...it's ever prepared.
7. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4644; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
When you use the S4 for the first few days it will be ahead of the game, but later on it will be gimmicky.
But one good thing about these new features on the S4 is that you can show it off to your friends, same as the Boomsound on the HTC One and the Water Resistant on the Sony Xperia Z.