Samsung Galaxy S4 root exploit already available
This root exploit will work for Snapdragon equipped Samsung Galaxy S4 devices which means devices sold in the US, the UK and a few other countries.
The process itself is pretty simple, but it is worth reminding folks that since there are no recovery or stock images available, your S4 might become a handy paperweight if you break it in the process. OTA updates to the device will also undo the root access. The warranty on the device will also likely turn to dust and blow away.
You can get to the exploit package via the XDA source link below. Here are the instructions as outlined by the developer:
- Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
- If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
- Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB.
- If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
- Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.
Read through the forum posts as well to pick up any hints along the way.
sources: XDA Developers via Droid Life
1. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Triangle away will eventually come out and Samsung won't be able to tell its been tampered with.
5. ITEngineer (Posts: 54; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Nope your wrong.. There is a Variable that increases by one each time you root the device, this variable exists on a chipset separated from the OS. They can tell how many times you have rooted your device..
The best way is to flash an already rooted Firmware.
7. nlbates66 (Posts: 303; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
perhaps you don't know what triangle away does, it resets the unofficial firmware flash variable to zero, so that they can't tell, that's the whole point of it, it's working on several devices, S2, S3 Note II etc.
2. alltechinside (Posts: 247; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
More reason to get snapdragon over Exynos.
4. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The exynos 5 version was rooted weeks ago. The international s3 has about 2x the dev support the US s3s get, I expect the same for the S4. Also the exynos version will get updates first. Literally no reason to buy the US version over the Exynos version this time around. While the Exynos 5 has all the advantages.
6. ITEngineer (Posts: 54; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Actually The Exynos version will only be available in a handful of countries, the snapdragon is the most bought world wide.
3. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Snapdragon and root are both awesome