This root exploit will work for Snapdragon equipped Samsung Galaxy S4 devices which means devices sold in the US, the UK and a few other countries.
The process itself is pretty simple, but it is worth reminding folks that since there are no recovery or stock images available, your S4 might become a handy paperweight if you break it in the process. OTA updates to the device will also undo the root access. The warranty on the device will also likely turn to dust and blow away.
You can get to the exploit package via the XDA source link below. Here are the instructions as outlined by the developer:
- Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
- If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
- Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB.
- If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
- Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.
Read through the forum posts as well to pick up any hints along the way.
sources: XDA Developers via Droid Life