Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini specs reappear, 1.7 GHz dual-core Snapdragon 400 in tow
0. phoneArena 29 May 2013, 07:46 posted on
New specs screenshot appeared for the upcoming Galaxy S4 Mini, seemingly confirming what we've heard so far about the handset. A 1.7 GHz Snadpragon 400 is under the hood, which is the same chipset powering the Mega line, a 540x960 pixels qHD display with 4.3" diagonal could be in store, as well as 1.5 GB of RAM and 8 MP camera on the back...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. rahulz (Posts: 117; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
1280X720 should have been better
all other specs are okay for me.
3. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Agreed. They put a nice CPU/GPU in it, but then they completely cheap out on the screen? I couldn't recommend this phone to anyone in the US over the now-discounted S3. I guess it makes sense as an affordable option for countries that pay full price.
5. itsjustJOH (Posts: 227; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
They had the S3 on a big discount here in the Philippines for the launch of the S4. Gone in a day. :D
7. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
S3 is going for $400 unlocked here; have no idea who will choose this over the S3.
22. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I'm, others are better of with iP4s with better Gpu and Cpu.
Samsung this sucks, should'ev had the S4 feautres on this, people prefer small phones like iPhones feautres on a 4inch device.
24. sharks (Posts: 215; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Nobody even reads your comments, TROLL. Just Thumbs down!!
25. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I read his comments. This one didn't appear to be in modern English though.
36. chocolaking (Posts: 494; Member since: 22 May 2012)
This is some lame ass disappoint ment specs .
ppl should just buy the S3.
but samsung has lots stupid fan boys fall for it..
lied = smasnag
37. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 140; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
It's suppose to be more of a mid-ranged handset dips**t. Whoever buys it doesn't make them stupid. How ignorant of you.
HTC fans really are the worst.
38. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
True, you can buy a used excellent condition S3 for that price and have highend Cpu, Gpu than this midrange scrap specs.
26. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Maybe its related with performance, the lower resolution will mean better performance, still I must agree in don't like that low resolution at all
27. muhsen (Posts: 280; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
nice CPU/GPU ???? hahahaha. this is same CPU/GPU that nokia uses in its lumia 520 and lumia 620!!!!
snapdragon 400 is essentially snapdragon s4 play but with a different name and u can check that by checking qualcomm announcements of snapdragon (200, 400 , 600 and 800). its also obvious as the snapdragon 400 and snapdragon s4 play uses the same gpu (adreno 305) . so in devices like the 520 and 620 ,yes its a pretty nice cpu/ gpu specially when u know that devices from samsung and sony with the same price come with a medicore single core cortex A5 processor !!
but for S4 mini (which has the same name of the legendary S4) which will come with a price at least double of that of the 520, this is a weak CPU/GPU
35. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Actually the 400 has more in common with the (lower-end) S4 Plus, including the GPU.
200 ~ S4 Play
400 ~ S4 Plus
600 ~ S4 Pro
800 = something super awesome we haven't experienced yet
4. itsjustJOH (Posts: 227; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
If choosing qHD would lower the price significantly, I've got no complaints. 256 ppi should be more than decent for a mid-range device.
8. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Maybe a year ago. I consider anything under 280 ppi entry-level for 2013.
16. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3639; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
That doesn't even make any sense. The Note 2 came out barely over 6 months ago. It has a ppi of 265. It is an entry level phone now?
18. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I question whether the Note 2 can be called a phone. Maybe I should be more specific: anything with a 4-5" screen and qHD, you're looking at 220-275 ppi. That's no better than 2010 standards.
28. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3639; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I guess that's your opinion. I could still consider some qHD phones mid-range at this point. Resolution & ppi aren't the only factors.
33. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
True, this is my opinion. I put a lot of emphasis on screen quality because that's the part of the phone I interact with most often. I can't see a quad-core processor, but I can see sharp text. And the major Android manufacturers agree, since every flagship released in 2012-13 has been half or full HD.
46. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3639; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Yeah, I realize qHD is no longer flagship. That's obvious. But you said entry-level. I said mid-range. I can't consider qHD entry-level when 800x480 & below phones are still being released all the time.
17. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
What the heck are you talking about???
This S4 Mini is way better, in my humble and honest opinion, than that
minutely-mini iPhone. And, if it is retailed at or under $300 it will change the game all over again because, Samsung will be able to launch their new campaign, "Get everything you can't on your miNi iPhone on the new S4 Mini at less than half the price!"
43. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
i agree with you with $300 S4 mini will change the game. but if the price is around $400+ it will be the next mini flop.
2. itsjustJOH (Posts: 227; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
Very nice, it all depends on the price now.
23. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3491; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I bet it's going to be priced higher than the SIII. Which is a bad move with the screen...
Hell, even the Xperia SP scores better that this, except for the RAM.
I believe the S4 pro is much better than the Snapdragon 400.
6. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
We already really new this so price please :)
10. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
At which point, why does it deserve the S4 name? The only thing it has in common with Samsung's flagship is the software.
12. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
You missed an important factor - design.
19. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
You're kidding, right? How is this design any different from the S3?
32. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1023; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
you did ask for whats in 'common' right?
34. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
The S4 Mini has just as much in common with the S4 as it does with the S3. These days there's nothing premium about a dual-core 4.3" qHD phone. Calling it an S4 at all debases the brand.
13. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 568; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
How can this be a monster phone? The monster phone from Samsung is here! The Galaxy S4.
41. Kurai (unregistered)
14. johnriii (Posts: 236; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I'm gonna take a guess and say on the high end...pricing should be around $149.99. the S4 is selling at $199.99 on at&t and verizon, so I don't see why this would be in the same ballpark.
20. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I'd say $50 on contract, if the US providers offer it at all. I'm not kidding. Verizon is selling the S3 for $100, and this is a significantly smaller and less visually appealing device, so it should be priced under the S3.
15. Sondae (Posts: 234; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
The specs is good though I wonder if this phone is below price of samsung galaxy s3. I hope its just same price of Grand and galaxy win.
21. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
it's a mid range for christ sake...what for 720p. Price screams-that counts
42. Kurai (unregistered)
Xperia SP is a midrange, it has a 720p and it outperforms xperia z in some benchmarks . . .
44. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
and many other midrage from Sony with 720p and good performance
like Xperia T/TX/V
29. Eonnaydra (Posts: 217; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
It must be priced coretly,otherwise Xperia SP will be a better choice.
30. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
To be honest with these specs the Xperia sp is already my choice lol!
48. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3690; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
My choice would be LG Optimus F7 over both xperia SP and S4 mini.
31. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1023; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
people said the S3 mini was a flop, when actually it was one of the best seller especially in the UK.
If the S4 mini cost $300 - $400, thats still a good price, for a new phone that is and will eventually go down by alot in just one months time.
45. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
that time we can't find many better options, but today with $300 - $400 you can have better phone than S4 mini
40. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Come on Samsung, what are you doing? When a phone is called S4 mini, it should mean S4 HW in a smaller package(okay, I don´t mean 1080p display), but no you had to put in qHD display and that means 240 ppi, which should be good for a low range phone in 2013, and it is probably only AMOLED not AMOLED + so it will have RGBG(pentile) so you are fooling people with your 240 ppi. I also expected Snapdragon apq8064(also used in nexus 4) or exynos 5210. If you are selling this for more than 350+ dollars, why would anyone buy it if you can buy nexus 4.
Wake up Samsung, this is 2013.
But otherwise this phone can be pretty good, android 4.2.2, probably good camera, 1,5 GB RAM and if it will look like S4 it will have good screen to body ratio.