Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) is now receiving the KitKat treatment
0. phoneArena 20 Feb 2014, 09:29 posted on
Samsung Galaxy S4 fans, rejoice! Well, at least the ones who have the GT-I9500 version of the flagship smartphone. Android 4.4.2 KitKat is now officially rolling out as an OTA update for one of Samsung's bestsellers...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 241; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
Update policies on Android are a shame. KitKat came to market in October 2013. Only now, 2 or 3 weeks before the S5 is released, the upadted arrives for its successor.
9. Jayshmay (Posts: 65; Member since: 27 Mar 2011)
The s5 is being ANNOUNCED, not released, released means you can actually go buy it. All that's happening Monday is an announcement.
2. skymitch89 (Posts: 969; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Not only the GS4, but the Note 3 is getting it as well. I'm in the process of downloading it for my Sprint Note 3 now.
12. skymitch89 (Posts: 969; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Got it installed and have only noticed that the lock screen is a bit more responsive (less lag when turning on & off and unlocking) and the icon colors in the notification bar, as well as some apps opening a little faster.
3. jskates420 (Posts: 29; Member since: 29 Jun 2013)
I wonder if the Gs4 mini for sprint will get it soon..
5. skymitch89 (Posts: 969; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
And people, if you don't like waiting 3-4 months to get the next version of Android sent to your device by the manufacturers, then you should either get a Nexus device or install custom ROMS. It takes that long for an update because they need to make sure that the update is "quality" & "bug free". Also, they need to put their custom UI skins in with the update as well.
18. davenycept (Posts: 138; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Thank you.. I mean yes Samsung use to be worse on their updates..my stock S2 I have laying around is running 4.1.2 do they've done a great job improving the updates..it's not perfect but it's much better... get a nexus if you want to always be on the latest
6. taz89 (Posts: 1897; Member since: 03 May 2011)
I would love for updates to be super fast but I knew going the non nexus route I'm on a different time table. If I or anyone wants updates ASAP then that's what's the nexus line is there for.
10. decent4u (Posts: 62; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
So no news on the Note 3 Exynos variant? :(
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5823; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Update was released awhile ago if I remember correctly...
13. decent4u (Posts: 62; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I have the international exynos variant and i have not received the update.
still running 4.3
BTY I live in Pakistan
20. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 194; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
Same here. Yet to receive. Live in Saudi Arabia
15. Carlitos (Posts: 238; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I am pretty certain the update started to roll out back in January. Second to third week of the month I believe.
19. decent4u (Posts: 62; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I have checked this on Sammobile and the update is only sent to some regions most regions are still pending :(
14. mrvid (Posts: 70; Member since: 02 Oct 2008)
Verizon won't update the S4! Stuck in the damn dark ages wating for them to update phones!
16. eddie809352 (Posts: 4; Member since: 20 Feb 2014)
Me and my Moto X are laughing at all you Samsung Fan boys
Stop wasting your money on high ends that take forever to update their phones and buy a phone that knows how please their customers with fast updates
17. joey_sfb (Posts: 1861; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I know Moto X is a cool device but I still need removable battery and micro SD memory. I am out station most of the time those item meet my requirement.
So far, only Samsung is willing to meet those requirement..