Samsung Galaxy S IV to introduce touchless gestures for screen navigation
0. phoneArena 07 Feb 2013, 08:30 posted on
Remember the "floating touch" tech on the Sony Xperia sola, that lets you hover your finger over the screen and select links or pictures in websites without actually touching the display..?
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
19. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3605; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Ughh... Talk about technology love, you sound too "Tay" (Technology meets gay...no offence ).
I like the feature though...sounds futuristic.
But can't help but think, when and where do i implement it?
23. wendygarett (unregistered)
I always love Sammy, and managed to keep their promise to make the world most beautiful, sturdy, and most color accuracy on galaxy s3, not to mention, Sammy always be transparent and give us the accurate leak just like these features, they love their customers and we always love you Sammy :)
62. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Are you bipolar? You always praise Apple and ocasionally Android OEMs and diss Apple?
79. SleepingOz (unregistered)
He's just a troll.
40. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3605; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I don't know...i've been observing PA for sometime and it seems like there are some groups of people painting the town red for no reason.
It's not just here.
47. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3605; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Thank you...whoever gave that downer.
You just proved my point.
63. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
I think the pun is what's warranting all the thumbs down. No offense.
87. SleepingOz (unregistered)
You know what they say; baseless hatred is all about jealousy, which is just confused admiration. =]
32. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I don't see a practical purpose of it.
37. wendygarett (unregistered)
Sammy invented world 1st revolutionary svoice & spen, and everyone loves it ... And now Sammy released the world 1st revolutionary sscreen to show how much health care to us :)
128. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I don't care for svoice... As a mater of fact only camera and snooze features are nice.. I would burn the rest with fire... Snote on the other hand... Is actually cool
41. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Think about mouse. You hover over a drop-down list, an email, small print text or link, anything that holds extra information or needs extra precision, it became so easy with the S-Pen. Now you can do it without an S-Pen. It's awesome!
Just navigate on this site via mouse and see the benefits, text, articles, options popping up, changing color or background, extra info on front page when hovering over top articles, think about this stuff currently, and everything it can be used for on a phone.
46. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Yep definitely. That's the whole purpose of hovering. Just goes to show the intellectual level of PA readers not being able to understand that. Look at the number of posts saying that this is a useless feature. Ridiculous.
49. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Doubt they have the ability of comprehensive reading, they are like bots looking for keywords "Samsung... new feature" vote down "iPad... update" vote down "Sony... hype" vote up.
Of course they use mouse hover on this very site, they just don't understand that the article is related.
ZOMG what's the point!!!!
123. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
The only one advantage I see at the moment is that you actually don't have to touch screen and it may be handy when your hands are dirty, everything else is the same as you touch screen with your fingers in usual way.
130. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Are you really serious man? or are you really this ignorant lol I'm really sorry, but it's really frustrating.
Let me give you a specific example so it's very simple for you to understand.
1. Go to nba.com
2. On the top menu, it gives you menus, such as Tickets, Teams, Scores, News, etc etc
3. Now hover your mouse over 'Teams'.
4. It gives you list of NBA teams without clicking anything.
Now this is not possible on smartphones, because you HAVE TO CLICK IT, AND YOU CAN'T HOVER YOUR FINGER OVER IT.
136. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Sorry, I was wrong, there is some more advantages. :)
134. iDroidWin (Posts: 117; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
You use mouse to see where to skip to in the video. To read the full name of the file (for instance to distinguish between movie and sample video in the same folder). To read lots of unread messages without going into each of them seperately or mails without opening it. And over a period of time I believe apps will be able to use this feature. Sometimes one has to hover its mouse on an option in a website to access it, instead of clicking it. It can help. I can help to stop us from taking out our S-Pen every time for these simple exercises. And not to forget, reduced finger prints.
122. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Put this technology on Windows 8 touch screen devices. It will reduce fingerprinting and the need for strong hinges. Will also satisfy the skeptics who claim touch screens are physically taxing.
2. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
i don't get the point!! whats the use of this feature?
4. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Don't know. But consumers love extra features like these.
5. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
exactly. if it was useful, Sony would continue using it.
83. ReaperChief (Posts: 31; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
If Sony had money they WOULD continue to use it.. Too bad they are going down..
142. ReaperChief (Posts: 31; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Am I still a troll if I mention the official profit/revenue figures from Sony for 2012?
9. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
u r right! thats because accourding to a research the dumb level has doubled all over the world since 90s...
114. nasznjoka (Posts: 394; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
it's funny how you guys are hypo.. you are praising your laumia 920 that you can use the touch even with gloves on. dont you see that this is the alternative? your hands are dirty you don wanna touch the phone dont you see this as the best choice in such circumstances? like your hands are watery........?????
trolllll go enjoy your brick with no apps on its PRIMITIVE OS
125. MrJerry (Posts: 403; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Folks gatta be smarter to be able to use Smartphones.
I naver understand people who don't like extra features..so dumb
6. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
It actually addresses the problem where it's impossible to hover over a menu item on an website with normal touchscreens.
120. Twisted247 (Posts: 282; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Yes this function among many. Like browsing with an S-Pen is more PC like. Being able to use drop downs, highlight, preview video portions on the play bar(like on YouTube on your PC). Sing hire Samsung already has the tech for this which is implemented within the S-Pen. So I can see how they would shift it to the s4 for the user without the pen.
11. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Unlike Apple fans we understand that one part of the year is winter and we wear gloves ;-)
22. techspace (Posts: 1020; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
then why didn't you buy a lumia 920?....... infact, the lumia 920's touchscreen is what you need for the winter,this new tech wouldn't be as useful as you are expecting it to be.......i like android, but your comment doesn't make sense...
18. BillyG (Posts: 305; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
the point is this: samsung loves to copy and paste...
45. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It's AirView without S-Pen. Their technology, paid for it.
8. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
no no dont sue em.......that would only distract sony from making better devices! but make it known who samsung gets some of its "ideas" from so these ignorant samsung fans cant have braggin rights like they think they have..... thats for sure
16. HouTexan (Posts: 429; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
Every company gets ideas from each other, smart guy. smh You sound mighty bitter. You don't even know what Samsung's take on this technology will bring. Relax...
21. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
yea and you dont know me dude sorry if im exposeing your beloved company...
27. HouTexan (Posts: 429; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
You're not exposing anything, my good sir. And I'm not a fanboy of any company. You're just bitter about nothing. It'll be okay, lol.
30. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
im not bitter about it but it does sound like you cant handle the TRUTH.......but "it'll be ok " lol cuz the truth dont care about how you feel to be honest with you...
33. HouTexan (Posts: 429; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
haha, I swear it'll be okay. You just have to relax.
35. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
why relax now the truth makin you a bit insecure?
82. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Haha he has always been bitter about Samsung's success, since Samsung is killing the competition with sony in front line.. But well, who cares.. Haters gonna hate anyway. =]
20. thephoneguy92 (Posts: 191; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
It sounds to me that while Sony did have a similar idea, Samsung seems to have taken a completely different approach, whereas Sony used the front camera to do gesture control, and Samsung, from what I understand, is taking a different approach that is more user and battery friendly.
24. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
thats not the point .....the point is this is exactly what samsung has always done........they "look" around at whats going on and take others ideas and change it up a bit to make it not look like an EXACT copy.....in order to elude payin the consequences like they have with apple...........THATS THE POINT
Look we know everyone copies but its samsung fans that seem to be in denial about these things and they will lie about it just because samsung "gives them what they want"..............So its like they're saying we dont care HOW and why you do it ........as long as you give me what i want! ........and i think thats a bit selfish dont you?
48. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
And the point is they had airview before sony...they where first to think on this...you are such a samsung hater...
53. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
whats airview?.......and which phone does sony use that on?
59. jstahl (Posts: 79; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
So basically you don't know s**t about the competing phone, and you're writing all these dumb shiit here? You're giving bad name to true Sony loyals. You are not even Japanese, so go away idiot. You sound like Chinese. Go stick with Huawai or whatever junk they make.
Samcrap can have their airview feature. I'll stick with my Xperia Z. Case closed.
64. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
seems to me like he cant tell me which phone sony uses to copy samsungs "air view" feature .........so it also seems to me like hes lying about sony copying in the first place
124. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Hey you...I'm here...it's was night in my country so was sleeping....airview is basically the same thing like sony's floating touch but with spen...it has a wide range of functionality than sony's tech...it was another key point for note 2's success...
60. iushnt (Posts: 1482; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Doesn't matter if someone copied from someone else but consumers want excellent features. Seems like s4 is gonna be a bomb.. And by the way air view is the technology that is used by spen on note 2 to hover on screen without touching... Samsung is trying to put this technology without spen and if it's true then we cannot call it a copy but it's just a development of their existing technology. PA played well to confuse users by including Sony here.. But I'll try to find out good if it's copied or not rather than being a fan boy like you.
115. techtruth (Posts: 30; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
you are such an idiot man.. airview is a feature that is available in all galaxy note devices.. sony got inspired from it and named it as ''floating touch''.... know your s**t before commenting troll!!!
90. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
They haven't paid Apple yet. As for copying well improving upon competitor's idea is what lean manufacturing also talks :)
139. alexzibrit (Posts: 67; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
Last Time I checked that's how Innovation works if not we wouldn't even have smartphones at the level of excellence we have now