Samsung Galaxy S IV might come with 'Green PHOLED' screen tech, but what is it?
1. _Bone_ (Posts: 2068; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Having never owned an AMOLED screen... is the problematic blue sub-pixel an issue in terms of a couple of them dying over a year or three?
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6658; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You've never owned a AMOLED screen? Whaaaa.... From my past experience, no.
I've been using my GS3 the day it came out. I'm never going back to LCD.
11. amansingal14 (Posts: 277; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
This time it might die, according to the table, at 95%, the light blue life is just 700 hrs...
13. linneti15 (Posts: 49; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
I've got a galaxy nexus and my mum has a galaxy s2, and they are starting to turn warmer in colour like a redish tinge whereas when we got them they had a blue-ish tinge... the blue sub-pixels are dying i'm afriad. You defiantly notice it after around 1.5 years.
46. haroonazeem638 (Posts: 121; Member since: 29 Mar 2011)
I second that. It started happening to my phone after 1 year. As much as I love the super amoled screen and their deep blacks and viewing angles, I hated how the colors were so different. My friend got a new SGSII a year after me and the difference was too much to not notice. I was disappointed because a $600 phone should at least last 1-2 years without hardware issues like these. But now I have the Nexus 4, and I miss the deep blacks and amazing viewing angles
16. ReaperChief (Posts: 31; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
The pixels might die, but the contrast and the deep blacks are PHenomenal..
50. danny_a2005 (Posts: 114; Member since: 06 Oct 2011)
htc one x is the best screen ive ever seen... And Ive had the note 2.. Im not a fanboy, Im just saying the truth..
20. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
AMOLED is a love-hate to me, both. I love the deep blacks, but i dislike the oversaturated colors. But to me i rarely feel much difference - im using 2 phones, one with AMOLED and one with LCD, the only thing noticeable is the degree of the blacks like i mentioned under normal circumstances, and only noticeable when u crank up the brightness, or you are using the phone in a dark room.
It also depends what kind of LCD as well, HTC's Super LCD on the One X ( i didnt mention the Butterfly, to be fair since im comparing 720p screens) and the one on the Lumia 920 is pretty good.
43. buccob (Posts: 1049; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I agree... I had the Galaxy S3 and then was stolen, but I save for a Sony Xperia Acro S phone... The screen of last year Sony's might not be as good as the one on HTC, but it is definitely awesome for pictures and video with bravia engine turned on...
I compared to a friend's S3 side by side and the difference was not much... Of course blacks were great on AMOLED, but colors were both vibrant, and the Sony seemed more realistic without looking pale...
32. SleepingOz (Posts: 2487; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Never experienced any blue dead sub-pixel or burn-in whatsoever since I'm using OLED based screens(N8, GSII, GNOTE II). But I upgrade every 8-12months so idk.
4. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Looks sooooooooooo cheap! Its not even funny how garbage they are.
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6658; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It's a prototype, meaning the final design will be different. Yes it will be made out of plastic, but if they can make it durable and not cheap, they'll take my money.
17. daftastic (Posts: 87; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
Hate to break the mood but the phone in this vid has the exact same curves and bezel as the teased SIV photo. This is no prototype.
44. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
no the teased s4 photo has larger bezel.. somewhat s3ish and it has no ear speaker.. why would samsung deploys s4 looks when its video ads dont say something at all?
anyway 14th is near :D
51. daftastic (Posts: 87; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
You weren't meant to brighten the image, and in the default image the speaker grills couldn't be seen because it was dark.
Based on that teaser picture, you mean to tell me the SIV won't come with an ear speaker?
The point is the bezel size and corner curves are an exact match. That is the SIV.
22. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Im afraid that picture is the real Galaxy S4. You know, it;s not surprising for one reason - last year, Samsung's ad on the Galaxy S3 said "Real Phones have Curves" printed all over almost every newspaper i read... if they make a square Galaxy S4 that would mean .. you know... it;s not real phone LMAO.
Still, a lousy design...
18. maccess (Posts: 479; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
so what dude.. even if the device looks awesome you'll still bash samsung no matter what.. why so butthurt?? if you don't like samsung just STFO!!
23. rgxVOiD (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Not here to bash it but how is stating that its ugly a butthurt?
26. maccess (Posts: 479; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
xperia knight is a well known samsung hater.. you just new to this site kid..
28. rgxVOiD (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
I'm new to this site? lol, I'm here before him and you
33. SleepingOz (Posts: 2487; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Calm down buddy, let these envious sony fanboys troll while they still can, until the launch of the real thing. Then they'll STFU..
Oh wait, they're biased sony fanboys, right?! Those who call every tech site that gives Samsung flagships more points than sony's biased. LMAO, haters gonna hate anyway..
27. nasznjoka (Posts: 223; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Mr 'washed-out screen' aka 'the fisherman' aka 'the diver'...........
Heard that you enjoy bashing SIV via your xperia Z while you're 'in the pool' or while bottom sea. is ma source correct?????
30. terry_wil (Posts: 4; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
rather look cheap and be the best than look Premium but be basic (HTC) looks are overrated with these smartphones when most users have to use some form of a case. Nothing special about htc phones except the physical look
47. Taters (Posts: 2403; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Honestly, HTC is pretty bad in looks too. Sony makes some sexy phones though and the Nokia Lumia iPod design was nice until it got as big as a 920.
41. heyhi (Posts: 118; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
xperia-knight....i wonder why you always come into samsung articles and starts bashing the brand and a phone that is not even on the market...why XPERIA-knight? playstaion logo and xperia-knight? sonyfanboy maybe?? guys, im not here to defend sammy, but do you think they put this particular video and spend millions of dollars on mysterious ads videos to make everybody curious about whats inside a box?? it was like the S3 when they didnt reveal till its launching day...i guess they know how to create a hype
42. SleepingOz (Posts: 2487; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
It's beacuse he's the biggest, in-denial, Samsung fanboy! He's more obssessed by Samsung than sony.
"Baseless hatred is all about jealousy, which is just confuse admiration." Nuff said.
48. Taters (Posts: 2403; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Because he feels very strongly about Sony getting owned in North America and needs to release his frustrations by attacking the company he thinks that is the cause of Sony's problems.
5. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 4852; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Sounds cool, hope it will have decent viewing angles.
29. rodkurt (Posts: 128; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
i hope that we could really see the difference from other types of screens...
8. avin007 (Posts: 139; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
This piece of info(even though not fully reliable) could compensate for the cheap design and make people think all over again
9. avin007 (Posts: 139; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Whats with prototype and final design????....any nugget of wisdom frm anybody???
10. amansingal14 (Posts: 277; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Didn't Nokia once claim that Samsung stole a new OLED technology from Nokia, almost a month back or two?
And why are Light Blue operating hours at 95% brightness just 700 hrs?
14. pwnarena (Posts: 721; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
this must be it or maybe something they tweaked a little. hopefully not.
but i thought the 4.99 FHD display was already showcased in the last CES. i remember samsung presenting a number of displays in one of their booths. i thought that was already what they planned to use for the S4. i don't understand why there are still rumors about the display tech when it was already shown at CES.
24. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Nokia spends a lot on R&D, but took too long to put them into their products. Even the flexible screen, Nokia came up with it first before Samsung did.
12. nikenturd (unregistered)
I hava a Note2 and I dont like the way it handles contrasts on HD movies, too stark to my liking....I wonder if PHOLED and Amoled are similar in terms of handling contrasts...IPS suits me better
19. maccess (Posts: 479; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
why care so much?? don't bother if you hate samsung.. why even bother to always comment in every samsung article kid?? you jealous so much because your nokia can't do as well as samsung??
21. rusticguy (Posts: 2811; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
LOO Mia gets less money for Nokia than PATENTS licensing do :)
31. voxmarc (Posts: 299; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
OMG!!!!!! a NOKIA FANBOY???? a NOKIA FANBOYYYYYY?????....omg...they are still alive.
37. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Impossible we made those species extinct!!!lol
35. SleepingOz (Posts: 2487; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
The next big s**t is already here, just take a look at your profile picture.. =]
34. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
LCD just sucks, amoled ftw. Its the best.
36. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
samsung is succeeding in confusing people and getting attention from almost everybody.. love it or hate it, people around the world ia waiting for the next galaxy.. i believe that samsung is up to something spectacular.. hold on to your seats..
38. voxmarc (Posts: 299; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
I dont care if its plastic,wood,clay or metal...all i care about is the screen,the features,the performance,the support...and the timely updates...and sadly all trolls here don't get these things from their so called PREMIUM QUALITY MATERIAL PHONES.....
40. dmakun (Posts: 127; Member since: 06 Jun 2011)
Looks of Smart phone doesn't matter too much to me cos if I wanted a 'good looking device' without considering usability then I'd simply choose an iPhone. Identity is what htc lacks today amongst other things (the htc one resembles the iphone) & their emphasis on looks is at the cost of other features I for one cannot compromise. I'll take Samsung's plastic smart phone's which allow me use the device as i please anytime of the day.
I presently have 2 phones, an HTC one X and a galaxy note (a dual-core vs a quad-core) guess which one goes out with me often? Yes, the plastic one.
49. Taters (Posts: 2403; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I sold my two HTC One X devices within weeks. I don't know how anyone can keep one for longer than that. Nice screen though when it didn't disconnect with the unibody every time I touched it.