Samsung Galaxy S III torn down, has same camera sensor as Apple iPhone 4S
0. phoneArena 01 Jun 2012, 19:55 posted on
Once again, iFixit reveals how a smartphone looks when torn down, thanks to pictures from Chipworks; this time, the model in question is the Samsung Galaxy S III which also happens to share the same camera sensor as the Apple iPhone 4S...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. jsoliz1985 (Posts: 23; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
Most likely the GS3 will appear to take better pictures due to the colors the SuperAMOLED display produces.
7. dickwyn (Posts: 610; Member since: 07 May 2012)
you think super amoled hd plus has good color. hahahahaha. their bright colors are super cold man you know
42. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
it doesnt have a super amoled plus hd display
17. jove39 (Posts: 1588; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Well...I just laughed after reading this...who else did?
43. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
You are either brain dead or very uneducated
2. hung2900 (Posts: 911; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Same sensor but with RayS Iphone4s is always the best camera phone!
27. hung2900 (Posts: 911; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Did I say anything wrong? Look at this article
GS3 has the highest rank in 5/6 tests but finally he concluded that
"The iPhone 4S and Xperia S often take the most impressive, pleasing shots"
35. Birds (Posts: 1150; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
You didn't say anything wrong, people just read it wrong. The reason why the iPhone 4S takes better pictures "on an opinionated level" is because android is different from IOS. The software tweaking won't be identical so what ever apple did to make there photos turn out better "by Ray S.'s standards" is not the same thing what Samsung did. But still it takes great photos. lol
46. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Not same sensor!
It is a new sensor that has not had any information released yet.
53. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
you do realize Sony makes iPhone camera's right? Probably not
3. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Voting along party lines won't work in a double blind test.
You will be surprise how many android people on this site stopped saying Apple doesn't share technology when they were educated on Android's use Apple's Webkit technology for web surfing. While the code was in the public domain, what Apple did with the code is considered IP and can be copyrighted. However, Apple didn't want MicroSoft to dominate the mobile browser space so now, Apple's free Webkit is the main engine for mobile browsing.
There are a lot of objective android users on this site who can separate fact from fiction. The same can be said about apple users.
12. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
actually the taken code has a copylef licence, witch means any new IP becomes open sourced under the same license. Also apple left it for a purpose witch you also said.
another point I want to say that webkit is not necessary the main engine as companies like Google have tossed on their on IP to improve the web kit so the story you say is half true
6. saeen (Posts: 20; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
What does a display had to do with producing a better overall picture quality?
It might look good on phone itself.
8. Johnnokia (Posts: 958; Member since: 27 May 2012)
If you are looking for the best phone camera, go to Nokia..
N8 is two year old and has the best camera yet. What about the imaginary pureview?
Simply, It is the result of Carl Ziess and Nokia cooperation.
30. tahnik (Posts: 184; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
Xperia S has already beaten the n8....Check if you want....
45. ripitup (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
I have a nokia n8 and my sister has the xperia s,
The nokia n8 takes the better picture without a doubt.
It also has a xenon flash for better photos in darkness and a better shutter key!
49. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
you are blind, boy
iny sensor, a lot of overprocessing to keep noise level low....you must be truly blind
55. ripitup (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
One flaw with that video is the macro mode shots on the n8 are far better than what the sample shot suggest,
51. Birds (Posts: 1150; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I have an Xperia S. While the photos are great and all the N8 beats it hands down.
9. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Hmm what will the fandroids say? They won't like this...
11. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
And what exactly they should don't like?
13. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
pff that just means we dont have a "lesser quality" camera sensor according to your fanboy standard
if you had any shame left you shouldn't even post in this site, but I guess you don't do
20. PackMan (Posts: 277; Member since: 09 Mar 2012)
Same sensor, better ISP = better picture. Oh, and this sensor is also used in Xperia phones.
37. Birds (Posts: 1150; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I'll bother! No one likes you and you have an extremely biased standpoint on mobile devices!!!! All OS's have pros and cons and a sane person would understand that. IOS is not better then android they are on par with each other and you should understand that....But then again you are a brain washed apple turd who loves anything related to apple.Do the iPhone fans like that????
19. sprockkets (Posts: 1608; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
HTC amaze has a backlit sensor, and the new One series has an even bigger aperture than any camera save perhaps the 41MP one from Nokia.
Means squat. The sensor may be the same but the optics can be different, as well as the image processor used. So it can't be an apples to apples comparison.
21. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
What do fandroids have to say? Most of us has been saying the 4S's camera isn't that bad. Thing is what do you iFans have to say? Now that your "extra lens" bullcrap is also on the S3, you're no longer unique, again.
22. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Ha? Apple, your favorite company, is using a sensor by Sony, one of the strongest Android companies...
Oh and this article is for people who were like "Samsung should buy SONY"...
33. ph00ny (Posts: 847; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I'm sure they can but it would be a terrible investment since sony is bleeding money
36. dmn666 (Posts: 244; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Samsung is not big enough to buy Sony yet. Few years back Sony was bigger than Samsung actually. No matter what Samsung will never be able to buy Sony. Come back when it happens - don't make up BS for now.
28. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Actually...I was waiting for the Samsung Copys Apple Again!!! song to be played....from you.
29. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Gotta wait for QinEmpire or some other Samsung haters..
38. bayusuputra (Posts: 961; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
why wouldn't i like this? not a fandroid, but this is interesting.. seeing them with the same sensor and thus it will be manufacturers' tweaks that will make them standout.. IQ-wise, i can't really compare because i have not played with them personally, 4S might and more likely to win here based on their previous performance with the 4.. but feature wise, i think the S3 will definitely be on top for the burst mode, video+image capture, panorama, etc..
so why must i not like this? :)
54. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
And we don't like you
10. 09wbd03516 (banned) (Posts: 140; Member since: 30 May 2012)
meh i stil think sgs3 is far better than ip4s
Its camera is f**king laggy!!
18. ph00ny (Posts: 847; Member since: 26 May 2011)
It looks like they're using two camera sensors again like the S2
I think the unit anandtech looked at had a Samsung sensor (not the same one used by the S2/HOX)
39. bayusuputra (Posts: 961; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
YEEESSS!!! they are the manufacturers of some Nikon's sensors, including the D7000..
24. RangersK (Posts: 64; Member since: 15 May 2012)
You're right. The image sensors used in the GS3 are Sony's IMX175 and Samsung's S5K3H5(S5C73M3) while the iPhone 4S uses Sony's IMX145.
25. AnukulVcool (unregistered)
Not apple Not samsung but Sony is the winner here!
the worlds No.1 manufacturer of camera sensors............
26. belovedson (Posts: 837; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
Wolfson WM1811AE Audio CodecWolfson WM1811AE Audio CodecWolfson WM1811AE Audio Codec
nice i hope this stays in the sprint version.
that chip above is for audio heads not that stupid beats software based whatever
31. roscuthiii (Posts: 2010; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Why is it that it seems the most touted things to come from Apple in actuality came from someone else?
32. ph00ny (Posts: 847; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Because apple really doesn't make components which is also true for motorola and HTC
LG at least makes the screen
Sony makes the screen and SoC
Samsung makes the screen, SoC, memory, NAND storage, etc
34. dmn666 (Posts: 244; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Sony doesn't make SoC - they make camera modules though (beside displays).
Apple designs and makes SoC as well. Samsung does the foundry job for them - that doesn't mean that Samsung makes it. Otherwise all snapdragons would have been made by TSMC.
40. srgonu (Posts: 158; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
This can be possible... May be sammy makes camera sensor for iphone
41. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
its not completely true
software makes a big difference. they just proved that with the latest camera shoot out. they may use the same sensor, but the software settings are very different and the SGS3 has a ton more camera options than the iphone.
44. nfs2010 (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
lol - so both camera sensors were made by Sony, fanboys are gonna focus on software now. Yet with all software options (slavishly copied from HTC this time!) Galaxy S3 takes worse pictures than a year old iphone 4S.
Ah, Dear Crapsung - try to make something on your own. You've been ripping off everyone else for ever. Just put together all s**t invented by other companies and bingo you have a new samsung.Then come the fanboys saying Crapsung invented this and that. Dumb cocmpany with dumber fanboys.
Samsung makes some good RAM chips though - LMFAO.
47. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
those "slavishly copied" features, are features of ICS, not of HTC.
48. nfs2010 (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
Oh Yeah? Another dumb fanboy - So Google forgot to put burst mode and other features in Galaxy Nexus - ROFL. Don't pass the credit to Google to hide Samsung's rip-offs - LMAO.
52. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you ever think that the G-nexus might not be physically capable of doing such things because of the limits imposed on its chips? idiot.
The OneX uses the T3 chip, the One S uses the S4 chip. The SGS3 uses Exynos quad and S4. All are nearly double the power of the older TI chip found in the Galaxy Nexus.
It is a feature of ICS, and you will see it in nearly every ICS phone that comes with top end chips.
56. nfs2010 (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
What a moron! It's not an ICS feature - jackass. It'll work on older android versions as long as the HW can handle it. HTC put that in their camera interface first. Samsung just copied. That was the whole point. You are dumb as sh*t like your beloved crapsung.
57. zeķīte (Posts: 3; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
But it says: "Chipworks report that the camera has a Sony BSI sensor. Contrary to earlier reports, their initial inspection suggests it is a new sensor, and not the same one used in the iPhone 4S. The bond pad arrangement is not the same as the IMX145 found in the iPhone 4S nor is it the same as the IMX105 found in previous Samsung phones." so why phonearena thinks that diferent sensors are the same?