Samsung Galaxy S III meets gravity, Gorilla Glass 2 display suffers the consequences
0. phoneArena posted on 28 May 2012, 03:08
Gorilla Glass 2 is not indestructible, as a Samsung Galaxy S III owner found out just recently. And he found it out the hard way, unfortunately, after his smartphone fell out of his pocket face-down. The result is well visible at the photo that we have here...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. BattleBrat posted on 28 May 2012, 03:12 10 3
Get a FRIGGEN WARRANTY!!!!! Squaretrade is your friend!
45. ajoshi06 posted on 28 May 2012, 09:50 0 0
yup... and cell companies.. stop making cell phone tough cause this guy will pay for all of our warranties
55. Ivan6479 posted on 28 May 2012, 15:12 0 0
Well even with square trade he would still be looking at close to $200 US.
2. Altair posted on 28 May 2012, 03:14 13 6
If you want a real quality, check this out:
9. darkskoliro posted on 28 May 2012, 03:35 4 4
dude, not even check the htc one x
19. dickwyn posted on 28 May 2012, 04:20 3 4
now there's something the one x has and the gsiii dosent
27. ABDULGHAFOOR posted on 28 May 2012, 05:00 2 1
=sBo3W6HdPbMHTCOne X DROP TEST
56. Ivan6479 posted on 28 May 2012, 15:24 1 0
That video has been removed, but I'm guessing it was something like what the ABDULGHAFOOR posted below, but I can assure that the one x is very delicate as well as I just bought my Mom one for this past mothers day and she just dropped it 2 days ago trying to put it into her pocket and it shattered. If you watch the video below, the guys is very lucky as his happens to always drop on the plastic side not the display.
11. wendygarett (limited) 6 days ago posted on 28 May 2012, 03:40 8 0
Im sorry to say that lumia 900 also made up of gorilla glass 2...
29. microsoftnokiawin posted on 28 May 2012, 05:14 6 2
but for some reason gorilla glass on 900 is better the way it's put it think
58. Ivan6479 posted on 28 May 2012, 15:31 4 0
Gorilla Glass on 900 is better huh? LOL Ther nerve of some people. Listen, Gorilla Glass is Gorilla Glass, which is made by Corning, so it's the same darn product. Now the size of the glass on the 900 is a tad smaller, so so that could be why it may be a tad stronger. Think about breaking a stick; if you have 2 sticks of the same thickness, but one stick is longer then the other, it will be easier to break the longer one. Its same concept here. The larger display is going to have a little less strength. If you search the web for some corning presentations they always tend to use a small square piece of glass rather then a large rectangular piece and this is why.
61. cepcamba posted on 28 May 2012, 18:06 0 0
+1 for you. You nailed it dude. That's why big screened phones are more prone to breaking. It's not about the brand, or the type of phone.
70. Altair posted on 31 May 2012, 05:59 0 1
May I correct your words mate. It is actually all about brand and a phone.
You see Nokia is well known about quality products. Nokia Lumia 900 happens to have unibody polycarbonate cover. It is very strong and cute and allows better calling quality.
What this means, is that cover protect its Gorilla class. It makes it better overall package.
When you take SGS3 in your hand, only thing you see is an ugly and cheap plastic thing with some paper backcover (you can throw it as a fresbee on air and it will fly like 5 minutes before landing :)
SGS3 doesn't protect its screen like Lumia, actually its gorilla class which is keeping that plastic thing up!
71. cepcamba posted on 31 May 2012, 19:03 0 0
Hi Altair, please, let's be objective.
1. Polycarbonate is used for the body of the Lumia 900. It's never used for the screen of any device.
2. Both the Lumia 900 and the Galaxy S3 have Gorilla Glass. I admit though that if you use the GS3 as a hammer it might break, but that's because of the size of the screen, not because it's Samsung.
65. bayusuputra posted on 29 May 2012, 04:57 0 0
yeah, that's why the xperia active can withstand these kind of abuse as well, because the screen is small.. it may not be gorilla glass in the Xperia, but the logic holds..
but another reason why the Lumia is stronger is maybe because the glass itself is thicker compared to the one in SGS3 or the One X.. so with similar area, but with thicker profile, it can withstand more abuse.. it's very hard to say though since not many manufacturers come up with "thickness of glass" specification.. But i strongly believe that nokia might have asked Corning to make it thicker for them..
31. JSern posted on 28 May 2012, 05:41 8 11
Gorilla hates Androids.
22. GJanee posted on 28 May 2012, 04:22 2 0
*off: that call at the end of the video made me laugh out loud xDDDDDD
26. darac posted on 28 May 2012, 04:58 1 0
this one too:
72. denied911 (banned) posted on 31 May 2012, 21:07 0 0
troll! HTC One X can do the same
15. mohsinakbarkhan posted on 28 May 2012, 03:51 1 1
yeah it is, now everybody keeps asking for my S3 and i tell them i didnt bring it :(
25. poojaroy posted on 28 May 2012, 04:46 2 0
u hve not seen it originaly how it damaged ,it may b fake bcoz i hve seen a video of s3 screen test where a guy attempts to break the screen banging hard on screen but nothing happens not a single scratch,so dont go by article as u know the s3 is light weight ,even it falls from pocket nothing can happen
38. dickwyn posted on 28 May 2012, 08:24 2 4
why would somebody want to fake this and waste money fixing it. this is not some cheap phone you know
53. poojaroy posted on 28 May 2012, 13:57 0 0
bcoz testing harsh on the screan can break the screan and gorrilla glass can sustain till its strength beyond that trying harsh will surely break it even any phone screan in the world cant sustain till that limit as simple as that
62. cepcamba posted on 28 May 2012, 18:09 0 0
Yeah. imaginge, your device isn't even a month old. Happened to my brand new PS3 before. I kind of, errr, stepped on it. Broke the lens and the cover. Had to pay like half of the brand new price to get it fixed.
4. Bluesky02 posted on 28 May 2012, 03:24 7 2
This is sad indeed for SG3 lovers. It is a great hardware, especially the white one.
5. nicholassss posted on 28 May 2012, 03:24 9 0
If he changes his wallpaper to eggs he wont even notice.
6. Muhannad posted on 28 May 2012, 03:30 4 0
I feel really bad for this guy, still a new phone and already damaged.
16. mohsinakbarkhan posted on 28 May 2012, 03:52 3 0
and it happened the very same day when i bought it :(
21. dickwyn posted on 28 May 2012, 04:22 1 1
yeah the repairs account nearly 30% of the price of the phone
8. wendygarett (limited) 6 days ago posted on 28 May 2012, 03:32 8 2
why phonearena keep showing the shatter screen on non-apple device??
12. wendygarett (limited) 6 days ago posted on 28 May 2012, 03:43 4 0
Im glad my sis using SGS2 :)
18. dickwyn posted on 28 May 2012, 04:19 3 1
because if it was an iphone it will shatter 10X worser than this
51. gallitoking posted on 28 May 2012, 13:38 1 0
Well the iphone is made of glass.. so yes it will shattered... 10x ?.. what difference does that make?.. both will need repairs.. nice going...
41. InspectorGadget80 posted on 28 May 2012, 08:33 0 0
Because all the journalist dont want to break their precious breakable glass iPhone.
52. gallitoking posted on 28 May 2012, 13:40 1 0
You know anyone non journalist that want to break their phone ... iphone or Android.... is ok to to talk about the iphone but why sound dumb about it.... could it be the OS in your phone
57. tedkord posted on 28 May 2012, 15:26 1 0
Been drinking this holiday?
13. Tsepz_GP posted on 28 May 2012, 03:43 5 3
Thats not good. I have dropped my GS2 multiple times face first on tiles and concrete, yet not a single mark.
Could the Gorilla Glass2 have a flaw in its build i wonder?
14. akbar posted on 28 May 2012, 03:47 4 4
I was always wondering how irrelevant should be a topic to end up published by phonearena, but this one proves there are simply no limits. Somebody broke his phone after dropping it on the floor. WTF? Whats the point?
17. kabu7x posted on 28 May 2012, 04:04 0 0
Tsepz_GP i gotta agree with you there is a flaw my galaxy s2 has scratch makes how is this possible and i did the test with a knife and keys. but sunddenly one day i see a scratch
20. vvelez5 posted on 28 May 2012, 04:22 0 0
That sucks. Did it fall out of the pocket face down some concrete stairs or something? thats horrible looks like it fell on some of the corners.
23. ryuh89 posted on 28 May 2012, 04:22 2 1
Stumble Upon this page in a first preliminary tests of resistance of galaxy s3 samsung made directly by the staff of Italy. Where it appears that is highly resistant to impact.
Inside the very interesting video:
Poor your galaxy s3! :-(
24. WinC76 posted on 28 May 2012, 04:44 1 0
What this is telling me is that the Galaxy S II is more durable than the Galaxy S III (at least the Gorilla Glass is). Anyone remember that drop test video from last year?
28. darac posted on 28 May 2012, 05:00 4 0
duh stupid, a high end phone with 4.8 inch screen needs a CASE
32. ivanko34 posted on 28 May 2012, 05:42 2 1
My galaxy Note felt many times on a hard floor without any damage
Same for my previous Galaxy S2
33. blinkdagger posted on 28 May 2012, 06:20 0 0
Someone plz try use it like hammer. Battle of the hammer : Lumia 900, One X, SGS3
34. HTCFreak posted on 28 May 2012, 06:28 0 0
"a photo, which nerds that are weak at heart might find quite disturbing."
I lol'd :D and poor guy :(
35. mercorp posted on 28 May 2012, 06:37 2 0
Drop the siii on the floor-breaks the screen
Drop the 3310-breaks the floor
36. Awaragardiyan posted on 28 May 2012, 06:51 0 1
Lol , it seems that gorilla glass can survive on nokia products only . First it was n8 , e7 etc. and now it is lumia. Maybe becoz 'unbreakable' products is nokia legacy and strength is nokia blood
39. sithman (banned) posted on 28 May 2012, 08:24 2 0
And people say only the iPhone is fragile.
40. Yousif posted on 28 May 2012, 08:30 0 0
i wonder what would john v. has to say to this, his beloved galaxy s3 :)
42. jibraihimi posted on 28 May 2012, 08:49 0 1
$350 for repair, ouch that really hurts........... Now this high repair cost, has really made me change my mind about purchasing GS3, now I will wait for WP8 device from nokia, with pureview camera, HD screen and dual/quad core processor..............
43. Red-Pain posted on 28 May 2012, 09:27 0 0
wanna see something tough take a look at these two videos
44. greatGreekGeek posted on 28 May 2012, 09:47 0 1
i totally empathize with the poor fellow...i mean where are we headed? point a) the cellphones are gettin too huge to fit into our jeans' pockets..and b)you try keepin it in your shirt pocket and this is what happens. we're actually stuck between a rock and a really hard place..and quite literally, too.
46. Evil_SaNz posted on 28 May 2012, 10:35 0 0
It's funny that we get this article while on main page there's an ad promoting protective cases.