Samsung Galaxy S III getting a last minute RAM upgrade to muscle up Jelly Bean
0. phoneArena 27 Jun 2012, 15:45 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S III has been delayed over and over for the US, but while the push back was only for days, it was allegedly not because of bugs, but because Samsung…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. CivicSi89 (Posts: 348; Member since: 23 Jul 2011)
AHH.... Samsung.... I see what you did there....
2. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 378; Member since: 07 May 2012)
always wondered why they didnt got with 2gb ram for a super device like this
3. andro. (Posts: 1977; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
How big of an advancement could jelly bean be to require an extra 1gb ram! Android is evolving fast!
7. WirelessCon (Posts: 309; Member since: 11 May 2010)
Galaxy Nexus doesn't have 2gb of ram.
It will have Jelly Bean.
8. barondebxl (Posts: 106; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
Galaxy nexus isn't running touchwiz, it is stock.
10. redrooster13 (Posts: 107; Member since: 20 Feb 2012)
Also the Nexus S with its 512MB of ram, will have Jelly Bean.
11. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5659; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Samsung didn't know what Jelly Bean was going to entail.
4. nohomad (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Victor H. can you please tell me if the Europe version will getting this update too? thank you
5. wsucoug13 (Posts: 164; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Just when I think Android couldn't get any dumber, they go out and do something like this.... and totally redeem themselves!!!!!!!!!
28. teerex42 (Posts: 178; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
LMAO!!!!! Love that wsucoug13...that was freakin awesome. can't believe the 4 tards that gave you a thumbs down. Don't they know that google is going to continue to dominate the smart phone, smart media world from here on out ;-) I'll take one of each please :-D
72. hiBreed (Posts: 90; Member since: 29 May 2012)
yeah i do love android but 2gb for a phone is just massive and unnecessary
9. smdeezy (Posts: 66; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
But doesn't the Galaxy Nexus only have 1gb? Surely it will run smooth on that. I guess we'll see when it gets the upgrade.
14. Yankchef (Posts: 76; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
the entire demo was based on how jelly bean made the nexus run faster....
20. smdeezy (Posts: 66; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
So why wouldn't it make the SIII run faster?
26. jukenon (Posts: 3; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
because the SIII is running touchwiz and touchwiz is a little bit heaver than stock android. its more of ensuring that it will run extremely smooth
51. bayusuputra (Posts: 949; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
yeah, stock OEM ROM usually is 3x heavier than stock android.. but you get all the goodies and eye candies..
12. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3045; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Samsung just wants to make sure it runs super smooth.
15. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
lol my phone can run ics on 512 mb of ram and 600 mhz processor
i don't see why you need 2gb for jelly bean
because this is just a performance upgrade
16. daviep (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Mar 2010)
The new galaxy 7 tablet that has just been anounced only has 1 gb of ram so the s3 should handle jellybean
17. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
It was announced much earlier than this that the dual core version would have 2gb ram
18. imkyle (Posts: 1034; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
The international version has 1GB of ram so does that mean that the US variants will handle the update better?
19. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
"as engineers weren’t 100% sure whether 1 gig of RAM would be enough for Jelly Bean and opted for 2GB RAM."
Jesus Christ....phone software needs more than 1 gig because they are not sure whether it will be enough to run jelly smoothly??
I'm sorry but that's just pathetic. It means one thing. Google's developers are a bunch of lazy and cheating cows. There was a time when microsoft products needed enermous amount of resources. Now it's upside down. When windows mobile is incredible smooth using only one core and 1/4 amount of ram destined for jelly, google is producing a humongus and retarded cow and samsung's engineers
"weren’t 100% sure whether 1 gig of RAM would be enough for Jelly Bean and opted for 2GB RAM."
23. tedkord (Posts: 6056; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
No, it means that Google are producing a much more complex, powerful os, versus Microsoft's more limited approach. You can run minecraft just fine on a 300MHz Celeron PC with 256mb of ram, but try running Crysis on it.
62. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
yes, but do you really think it will need so much power to run efficiently? Don't you think it's...too much as for a phone?
64. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3045; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Tell that to the millions of people who love it. Why wouldn't they want to improve? Sure they could go with the app approach and make you wait over a year for minor improvements.
25. ph00ny (Posts: 621; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I wonder if same folks will be singing its praises about not requiring hardware when wp8 comes out. It looks like they're already set on dual core and upgraded gpu
29. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Windows is not a full OS like Android.... Its Linux. Not half baked
Like ios and windows. ...
24. 09wbd03516 (banned) (Posts: 140; Member since: 30 May 2012)
Wtf Samsung... Are you trying to say that you are not going to update all the device which is 1gb ram and below??
52. bayusuputra (Posts: 949; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
but Galaxy Nexus will get it, and it only has 1GB of RAM.. and I think it is not really a big upgrade, so most likely all those devices with ICS will be able to run it.. it's now up to OEMs whether they will be lazy to give updates or not.. I think it's more like a 2.0-2.1 or 2.1-2.2 upgrade, unlike 2.3-4.0.. in custom ROMs, probably one would say from Beta to RC1..
31. carlos5593 (Posts: 27; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
This did not come from Samsung obviously. Just think. They knew of the existence of jelly Bean two months in advance. So they wouldn't push the International version with just 1gb of ram knowing that it wouldn't be enough. This is just to make the story interesting.
32. Yusei (Posts: 13; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
You really think that's the reason?
Sammy only gave 2Gb Ram to compensate the lack of QuadCore.
In Korea they iwll put 2Gb ram and quadcore cuz LG will do the same.
Always flaming, jeez.
33. MISTER-H (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 May 2012)
U lucky Americans get the 2GB ram version.
34. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I thought they fixed the lag issue. Why the extra ram?? Hmm looks like maybe no.
37. tedkord (Posts: 6056; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
They did fix the lag, with Gingerbread. The extra ram Is because Android is a fully functional, multitasking OS that can have more than one app or process running. More live apps require more ram to avoid putting any to sleep. This isn't a pared down, one app at a time OS like you're used to.
Also, I assume Jelly Bean itself is a larger OS, and it'll take up more system ram. You watch, when iOS gets these features in a few years, they'll add more team than they have now.
41. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
As usual you ignore facts since iOS does run multiple apps at once. Just better at using resources than lagdroid.
43. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
You really are jealous of androids success aren't you, that's the only viable conclusion as to why this is so personal with you, why don't you just let it go, its really pathetic kid.
45. tedkord (Posts: 6056; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I ignore facts? That's hilarious coming form the guy who:
-Swears that the iPhone has a higher resolution than 720p.
-Claims that a review of the OneX said it was laggy, when it said the opposite.
-Insists that user agent spoofing does not affect web statistics
-Says that a blog is a study, and ignores that the actual study attributes lowers WiFi usage to 4G LTE access
You wouldn't know a fact if someone smooshed it into the RDF in front of your face. Here's another fact you won't understand: iOS does NOT have true multitasking. It never did. They enacted a fake multitasking a year or two ago.
Here's a webpage that you will ignore now, since the facts contradict what you choose to believe. But, I assure you that, like in all the other cases listed above, you are 100% wrong.
47. tedkord (Posts: 6056; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Don't know why the link didn't post, but let's try again...
54. bayusuputra (Posts: 949; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
haha, the iPhone 5 will come up with 1GB RAM.. trust me.. and that will put your claim to rest, tacobell..
the only multitasking iOS can do is to play music in the background or when it is in a locked state..
39. TROLL.ISAHA (banned) (Posts: 535; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
Its not for lag. So u can run more apps at the background, and browse the web with out needing to worry opening up to 10 tabs. There is 1GB of ram
For just the net and the others for systems
68. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
You understand, but just trolling...
71. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"I thought they fixed the lag issue. Why the extra ram?? Hmm looks like maybe no."
Why iPhone 4 use 512MB of RAM instead of 256MB of RAM, because lagging???
36. kcombs (Posts: 254; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
The U.S GS3 already comes with 2GB of ram. This was done because the U.S phone comes with a dual core, unlike the international versions which comes with the Quad core and 1GB of ram.
40. hotshot187 (Posts: 6; Member since: 25 May 2012)
ummmmm what? The US version was suppose to come with 2GB ram to begin with.
42. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1313; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Call me confused but how is this a last minute ram upgrade if the US version was announced with 2GB in the first place? I can understand if the originally announced it with 1GB and then they changed their minds. And what about the international version? That only comes with 1GB.
46. tedkord (Posts: 6056; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The speculation is that the US version came with 2GB because it is using the inferior S4 processor instead of the quad exynos. How I read this story, from here on all versions are getting 2GB ram.
This raises the question: What about anyone who's already bought an international version with 1GB? Will they get a new phone with 2GB, or a partial refund? I would hope so, but Samsung could claim they bought it knowing it had 1GB. I say the right thing would be to exchange them for a new one.
69. haseebzahid (Posts: 1842; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol it must be removable ram u can also upgrade it latter on to 4 or 8 GB
48. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
jellybean is a great update! but the real question is... which devices are eligible for system upgrade.
49. saeen (Posts: 18; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
What about S3 already available in the market? We've S3 availble for like 2weeks now. Sadly they will be running Jellybean on 1GB ram with some compatibility issues. (Just a guess!)
55. bayusuputra (Posts: 949; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
i don't think there will be a crippled version of android, more like a crippled version of TouchWiz (just like Sense 4 in the One X/S and Sense 4A on One V)
the extra 1GB of RAM is not really necessary, it's just that Samsung wants your phone to be able to run even more background apps without any problem.. I bet 1GB is enough for jelly bean.. heck, i think 512mb is still enough, just that you won't be able to run as many apps at one time..
58. skymitch89 (Posts: 1165; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I think that "adding more RAM for Jelly Bean" is just an excuse, and they don't want to reveal the real reason for the delay. I'm thinking that there's possibly a manufacturing problem that they don't want to admit.
59. greatGreekGeek (unregistered)
the laptop i'm currently using has 4gigs of ram and a dual core. the time has come for me to stop using it. and one of the best achievements of the decade is miniaturization.
60. coolnand (Posts: 2; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
is this increase in ram for the international quad core version or the dual core? the dual core is already having the 2gb ram. right?
61. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Lol really? People here complaining cus they've upgraded the ram? Lol wtf.. go buy one x if u only want 1gb.
63. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Well done Samsung, though i wonder Nexus S only have 512MB and is getting Jelly Bean update