Samsung Galaxy S III explodes, injures 18 year old girl
0. phoneArena 09 Jul 2013, 01:12 posted on
An exploding cellphone is no joke; a Samsung Galaxy S III exploded in the pants of 18 year-old Fanny Schlatter, and as you can see, it did plenty of damage to her thigh not to mention the handset. Now, we've seen people claim that their phone exploded out of nowhere only to find out later that the device was put in the microwave to cover up the fact that it had been dropped in the toilet first...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. geetam (Posts: 17; Member since: 15 May 2013)
not sure if a samsung phone or a moving time bomb
11. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
Samsung Galaxy SIII "Designed for Humans" with explosion proof jacket...LOL
32. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1308; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
inspired by explosives...designed for humans
2. clevername (Posts: 1428; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Could a cheaply built phone blow up in ur pocket? Take that haters!
33. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
samsung galaxy supernova! anyway, C4 explosives are also plastic, maybe they......
4. therealestboy (Posts: 47; Member since: 03 May 2013)
What the hell! Samsung should pay for her medical expenses.
7. cyborg009 (Posts: 89; Member since: 17 Sep 2011)
i think they will send her a galaxy s4 or note3 as a replacement.. you know for a more powerful explosion!
120. phonefreako (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Jul 2013)
dude that's an awesome comment right there :)))
22. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Slow down cowboy -- we don't know if they are responsible. If she did some tampering or a 3rd party part caused it, they should cover it.
44. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
don´t use apple´s strategy. I don´łt care what kind of app I use. I can´t explode. It shouldn´t have ended that way. You can´t blame owner of this phone. I´ve nevef heard about such problems in Nokia or lg or even htc products. It´s not the first time when samsung device melts or explodes. Maybe toying with high speed cpus bring it about.
70. Android-Boxer (Posts: 11; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
What a troll! U never heard how nokia phones explode and cause damage? U must be a newborn then.. how old are u? Lemme guess 6 months? Don't be a jerk! Before you make a statement, collect the right facts.. I can't post the link I'm trying to, cause i've never commented, this is the first time.. Go and google "Nokia phone explosions" ..
86. glentomas123 (Posts: 70; Member since: 01 Jun 2011)
He didn't say 3rd part app, he said 3rd party part. Perhaps he wondering if she used a 3rd part battery.
100. Notnokiaagain (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Nokia had exploding batteries a while ago! It's not all that new!!!!
105. prufessa (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
you nimrod nokia phones have been reported exploding plenty of times.
92. zennacko (Posts: 227; Member since: 16 Jun 2013)
She did... Tampering? Yeah right... now she's part of Jihad and won't mind getting herself exploded or burned to ashes just to try to get some dough from Samsung? What is that now, Apple Jihad soldiers? So then they can say "Loving it is easy. That's why so many people do. And they won't be exploded for that, rest assured." for the new iPhone?
it is either Samsung's or a 3rd party accessory or an alien did that...
114. Notsosuperdave (Posts: 23; Member since: 15 May 2013)
actually if they could repeat the process successfully...and consistantly, what an awsome I.E.D. idea- US Gov would be all over it - imagine- "Hey some ignorant American left his --" BOOOM!!!! Gotcha! Of course Apple might sue claiming they came up with i.E.D. and have purchased the patents just a week ago....
124. Babri (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Before you troll even more, I would like to ask you: Do you even know the meaning of Jihad?
5. cyborg009 (Posts: 89; Member since: 17 Sep 2011)
Damn..that looks bad!.. i hope it was not one of the feature of gs3 .. if you keep it in your pants at a certain angle it'll explode !!
6. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5149; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
The S-Bomb feature returns...
And I believe that this girl will never ever buy a Samsung phone again.
18. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
Yeh she will, if she has plans to " Commit suicide" :D :P
87. akki20892 (Posts: 3291; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
good 1 dude.......lol S-Bomb.........!!!
9. TreyTreyTaylor (Posts: 298; Member since: 21 Dec 2010)
Damn thats looks very nasty. Samsung should pay for those bills no matter what the cause of that.
21. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Let them determine the cause first. No need to reward stupidity, if thats what it was.
83. donfem (Posts: 520; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Even if she did domething she shouldn't have done to the phone, she should be rewarded for being stupid?
10. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
3rd-party carbon fiber back plate?
I bet the battery isn't OEM either.
25. Leica_Shooter (Posts: 18; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
She probably used one of those huge extended batteries.
49. vincelongman (Posts: 1006; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I think too many people are hating on Samsung now days. They should wait for the investigation first to see who's at fault. Also many other phones battery have exploded, so its not just a Samsung issue.
I feel really sorry for her, her injury looks really nasty. Even if it wasn't Samsung's fault, I hope they give her a S4 to help restore her faith in Samsung.
72. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 282; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I think what we're looking at is this product:
If the battery isn't OEM I agree with you. But if the battery is stock I wouldn't put the blame on the case, otherwise you'd have to void warranties for Otter Box or cheap TPU cases as well.
81. stealthd (Posts: 925; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
That's possible. Doesn't mean anything's been debunked yet.
14. jimmy666 (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
judged by the back cover looks like its not samsung's official back cover.
might be not samsung's official battery too.
keep calm and wait for the official invedtigation result. :)
53. LumiaLover (Posts: 160; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
I'm not panicking, because I don't own a Samsung!
15. wando77 (Posts: 267; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Apparently she bought the phone from Samsung-Iraq
19. wando77 (Posts: 267; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
On a serious note.... I hope she heals fast and gets plenty of cash from Samsung for this (although I suspect it was a 3rd party battery)
23. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
No, people should learn to shop carefully and not get some basement lab battery for $5.
85. donfem (Posts: 520; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Get cash for being cheap? How many people on these forums have been using cell phones for many years without having any blow up except when alterations are made? Any alteration voids warranty we all know that. Like someone rightly noted here, that the back cover is not the original samsung one
17. Bendspear (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Mission impossible went wrong. The device was exploded before mission briefing.
24. sadiqhashim (unregistered)
I just sent back my GS3 to Korea, just in case if I am next.
26. mi55u (unregistered)
18 yr old?
27. Yubnub (Posts: 100; Member since: 23 May 2013)
I'm jealous, I want my HTC one to do the same to me!
28. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 294; Member since: 26 May 2011)
If it turns out that the phone was made by Samsung and negligence wasn't a factor in this explosion incident, then Samsung needs to fit the medical bill and then some because this could be a traumatizing experience for this victim.
30. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
LOL I hope she is alright but one has to ask what she was doing to the phone in the First place after all nothing just spontaniously combusts!
36. sabretigger (Posts: 21; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
"Samsung Galaxy S III explodes, injures 18 year old girl" - I didn't realise 18 year olds were still girls..
117. knghtrdr2000 (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
Yes, man. 18 year olds ARE concidered girls. They certainly are not concidered women...
38. felisberto (Posts: 32; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
See, if she bought Apple iphone this woud never happened.
39. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Are you deliberately trying to get yourself into a flame war? idiot
50. vincelongman (Posts: 1006; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Just a quick google search and seems the iPhone 5 has a similar problem.
iPhone 5 battery explodes:http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobile
Also another battery issue, this time iPhone 4S battery melts:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new
54. amstarred (Posts: 7; Member since: 11 Oct 2012)
Where not safe with smartphone nowadays even iPhone
112. Kalevro (Posts: 56; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
Of course! Siri would have at least asked you if you wanted an open casket.