Samsung Galaxy S III concept makes us wish it is the real deal
0. phoneArena 10 Feb 2012, 05:03 posted on
Anything goes in homebrew concept renders, but some of them hit the sweet spot between a wacky dream device and the a plausible but boring reality. The concept of the hotly-anticipated Samsung Galaxy S III below is just relaying what many customers of Samsung's otherwise stellar flasgship phones want - a more sophisticated outer shell design...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 801; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
If that one comes out as the real deal the shut up and take my money!
2. android_hitman (Posts: 591; Member since: 07 Jul 2010)
sadly the SGSIII will not look even remotley close to this concept, Samsung is using cheap materials to build their phones, that's why i switched to HTC who seems to have the best build quality on android phones.
8. buggerrer (Posts: 283; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
since when? Arc, Neo, Play .. all the xperia 2011 line got the worst build quality .. ask Arc owners :p
23. buggerrer (Posts: 283; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
how is the crack in the housing?
so Arc got the best quality? i think its the ceapest plastic ever!
58. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 801; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
I'm an Arc owner, Love this damn thing but the housing crack near the power button is true, but it hasn't hampered the phones performance nor affected it in anyways. And by the way the Arc & Arc S are the only two that has this said problem, the rest of the 2011 line up is housing crack free.
63. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Bi...please. Having a scratch and being in the Green Heart foundation is better than having a 1$ plastic cover like the on in the S2.
67. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
Haha, sony does not have nearly the best quality, their plastic is so cheap, i used to have an Arc and the back cover felt like it could smap if i bent it 10 degrees, overall quality was horrible, htc by far has the best build wuality, sadly most have bad hardware.
16. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if you think heavy, easily broken, and crappy battery life is good build quality.... well then. hats off to you.
26. robinrisk (unregistered)
he was referring to HTC.
But come on, that render is a Slightly Stilized GSII with a metal cover.
I´d rather have plastic, over metal anytime. Metal is a PITA when you dont have a cover and you want to put the phone on a surface.
27. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
plus metal allows electron transfer from your hand to the antenna which interferes with its signal. its no coincidence that the phones with biggest signal issues.. aka the iPhone and various HTC phones like the sensation are made of metal. premium? premium pain maybe lol.
35. ngo2dd (Posts: 777; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Ya that is why samsung have the best signal in cdam network right? oh wait they have the s**ttest one. Nexus S 4g, Epic touch 4g, SGN 4g has great signal.
45. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
there is a difference between antenna power and interference by your body. I didn't comment a single thing about their antenna strength. vzw takes part of the blame for that too as phones are made to vzw's specs on their network. it doesn't get released unless vzw gets exactly what they want. my sgs1 has excellent signal strength and virtually no degredation of the signal from holding it compared to similar metallic phones.
48. ngo2dd (Posts: 777; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
You going to blame VZW when other phone like the Rarz and Rezound has faster and better signal? You have GSM/WCDMA phone so what do you know about CDMA phone? Hell you work for t-mobile. The Nexus S 4g has the wrost signal out of all the phone on sprint. BTW many of HTC phone antenna are attach to the plastic back or plastic part of the phone beside the Titan. You know very little about HTC phone but you keep on acting like you know what you are talking about.
50. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol if you say so. I also worked for vzw for years. you'd be hard pressed to find another on this site with more extensive knowledge.. I can point you right to the others.. king korugi, protoz, network dood.. and others. I dont see them taking issue with my statements.
54. ngo2dd (Posts: 777; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
If you say so because you are the same guy who say the the hummingbirds is fasterthen the S2 and S3. You are also say the powerVRX 540 is faster the the andenro 220. Btw the hummingbirds is base off the cortex A8 like the S2 and S3.
56. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol. your right. I do say that. Because its true. And I have test after test to prove it. It obliterates the feeble S2, and its GPU is far superior to the one in the S3. The CPU itself is as capable or more in most every respect except multi threading since it is a single core, not a dual core. Again, test after test to show it. More cores dont always = better. The tech behind those cores has to be better as well.
You are not helping your case.
the snapdragon is also NOT a cortex A8 design.
" Unlike the Hummingbird, the Snapdragon does not use an ARM-designed application processor. Rather Qualcomm designed the core (called Scorpion) to have many features similar to the ARM Cortex-A8 architecture, but it does still use the ARMv7 instruction set. "
"Another element of the SoC is it's GPU. The Samsung chip uses the PowerVR SGX540 GPU. In raw numbers, the Hummingbird is capable of rendering over 90 million triangles per second. This is a very powerful graphics unit that easily outclassed the Snapdragons when it was released, though the new generation Snapdragons have caught up somewhat. "
now pay close attention. The number 1 scoring chipset on smartphonebenchmarks.com is the single core Hummingbird with a quadrant of over 5400 clocked at 1.4ghz. The highest scoring crapdragon came in at 5th place, sandwiched in a small army of samsung chips, clocked the whole way up to 1.8ghz to achieve a smidge over 4000 on the benchmarks.
"Even when it came to graphics, the Hummingbird produced 90 million triangles per second, which easily surpassed the performance of the Snapdragon. "
"....S3 (dual core snapdragon) chipsets in future phones (Q3 and Q4 of 2012) which boasts the Adreno 220 GPU. It also boasts an 88 million triangles per second benchmark"
20. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Again, material has nothing to do with build quality!
24. s.mrabet (Posts: 117; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Well, I'd rather have cheap materials that dont break when dropped, then expensive ones that shatter after one fall...
29. jove39 (Posts: 1247; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
you moron...samsung just uses durable materials that keep the phone light weight...grow up some brain!
64. vijaysivakula (Posts: 161; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Good for you. Is this the same HTC that admitted to making large bulky phones without a good battery life and poor signals? Guess not...
3. btbotimtim (Posts: 143; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Nice design, but no battery cover like RAZR?
I'd rather have a bit thicker phone with detachable battery.
4. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
I wish Samsung will make this concept to reality to beat iPhone.
6. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
Samsung should improve its design team to make very classy devices like this one
62. belovedson (Posts: 830; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
i agree i think samsung should borrow apple and make two versions
sg3 premium with high mark up and quality metals
and sg3 regular using plastics and 199 2 year contract price.
i have a feeling after awhile the plastic would be more popular. simply because it wont interfere with the radio as much and its cheaper
9. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 413; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
samsung targets phone performance than design because they see us (consumers) want speedy performance. but design also matters for us
10. BioTek (Posts: 53; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
That is easily the best looking phone I've seen....if only it was real.
11. nastynaps (Posts: 93; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It's a shame that designers like this aren't making our phones.
18. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
No thanks, I'll stick to the dark plastic thats light weight, durable, and blends the screen into it so it looks like the whole thing is a screen. You guys can keep your scratch n dent tin. :)
32. gallitoking (Posts: 4680; Member since: 17 May 2011)
but if it does come with metal... you will still buy it... and be happy about
36. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
why do you troll on every single android post that remixfa post's in? are you like in love with him? stalker xD
46. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I lub gallito. the boards are so.. bland without his CRAZY William shatner impersonation.
that said .. yes I'd still buy it., but it wouldn't change my opinion about metal vs plastic.
and it would still end up with a plastic case on it... like most metal phones.
49. taz89 (Posts: 2009; Member since: 03 May 2011)
lol don't get this metal/heavy vs plastic/light...I just laugh at the people who think plastic = poor build quality..and like you said majority probably use a case so does it matter what its made out of it.
52. gallitoking (Posts: 4680; Member since: 17 May 2011)
by the way remix... off topic I need a favor... will inbox you..
53. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i got nothing in my inbox from you. got me all excited for nothing.
57. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no, i will not put on lingerie to placate your weird desires. just saying. :)
19. rubal (Posts: 3; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
waiting WaItIng WAiTIng.......Come On ReaLeaSe IT....CAnt HanDle RuMouRs...O-o
22. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Lol you know phone reviewers would complain about how thin and "cheap" it feels.
28. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Yeah.. PhoneArena would give it a score below 9 because it's not like the iPhone and it doesn't run iOS.
38. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1551; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
the one time I agree with you Gallito lol
47. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
now that he mentions it.. it kinda looks like a silver 900 doesn't it?
33. pbui.818 (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
for those of you who say samsung uses durable plastics:
what are you smoking?
i've owned numerous samsung phones but not because of their durability. what's the point of having a screen that blends into the bezel and chassis when you have to put a case on it to protect it against inevitable drops?
i like the look and durability of metal if you can avoid antenna issues by not having the entire back be an insulating faraday cage.
34. pbui.818 (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
37. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1551; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I don't really dig the square look, too much like a Nokia :(
44. Striker (Posts: 92; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
By the time the koreans release this, my next iPhone will cook and wash for me...
68. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Btw gallito, nice pic, im actually starting to warm up to you, you have your opinion on os i have mine.
59. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
if this one turns out to be true! oH! i'll start saving money now! and eArn more! im excited with this!
60. rsiders (Posts: 232; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
The point is looking at this phone(with performance and other variables aside), I don't think a lot of people would actually choose another phone over the design displayed here. Simply elegant and sexy. It's a phone that people would say "Wow, what is that?" when you used it rather than just overlook it.