Samsung Galaxy S III Review: Q&A
0. phoneArena posted on 15 May 2012, 06:11
OK, guys and gals, now that we've posted our Samsung Galaxy S III review, you can now read it and ask us whatever questions come to your mind about the handset. We'lol post the answers in a separate post in a few days...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
23. the_s2 posted on 12 May 2012, 14:54 7 2
99. ffaarrooqq posted on 15 May 2012, 07:07 2 1
better than previous s'series phones.
3. JDCohen722 posted on 12 May 2012, 13:30 6 1
Considering the fact that you've used the HTC One X and reviewed it, and now previewed the S III, is it a smoother experience than the One X? I know they are very very similar in specs besides the different Processors, but is it more lag-free than the One X, or is it the same? Or are they both even lag free? In other words I don't care much for synthetic benchmarks I just want to know in real use which is faster/smoother.
113. ian132 posted on 15 May 2012, 13:10 0 0
Both of these phone are gonna be fluid and smooth and didn't lag end with the galaxy s2 why do people keep asking about it?
25. PackMan posted on 12 May 2012, 15:02 3 1
How much difference does the "NORMAL" mode makes in terms of colour accuracy?
104. E34V8 posted on 15 May 2012, 07:56 1 2
(SIII on the right)
5. decent4u posted on 12 May 2012, 13:40 1 1
Any Ideas on how much this will cost (fully unlocked version)(no contracts)
89. sniper1087 posted on 13 May 2012, 10:04 1 1
I preordered mine the day of the announcement.
6. a1000smiles4u posted on 12 May 2012, 13:44 1 1
i keep a cell phone for 2-2.5 years.
which one should i go for htc one x or sg3
i heavily use them for browsing internet
9. Saamic posted on 12 May 2012, 13:49 5 5
The SIII because it boasts the best (or at least one of the best) web browsing experience(s) to date. Also they have chose a pentile matrix screen on the SIII because it keeps its initial quality longer which is beneficial for users who want to keep the phone for about 18 months or longer.
14. a1000smiles4u posted on 12 May 2012, 14:05 1 1
hmmm thanks ...
actually i wanted to ask how li-ion is when compared to li-poly in terms of longevity
15. a1000smiles4u posted on 12 May 2012, 14:08 5 5
and that pentile reasoning is just an excuse i feel
39. Mario1017 posted on 12 May 2012, 16:25 6 4
lol ya the pentile reasoning is an excuse, the One X's screen is much brighter and just looks better than the S3 (when the X was compared to the GNex)
Li-Ion Pros: High energy density.
Does not need prolonged charging when new.
Relatively low self-discharge
Requires protection circuit to maintain voltage and current within safe limits.
Gets hot quickly
Not fully mature, metals and chemicals are changing on a continuing basis.
Cannot be molded
Very low profile, can be as thin as credit card
Flexible form factor, can be molded to fit the compartment perfectly
Improved safety, more resistant to overcharge; less chance for electrolyte leakage.
Lower energy density and decreased cycle count compared to lithium-ion.
Expensive to manufacture.
Higher cost-to-energy ratio than lithium-ion
90. remixfa posted on 13 May 2012, 10:12 1 1
for day to day usage, the SGS3 should have a much much longer battery life. It is a bigger battery to start with, one of the benefits of Pentile is the lower battery usage vs RGB, and if worse comes to worse, u can flip out the SGS3 battery with a spare in a heartbeat where you dont have the choice on the onex.
72. thelegend6657 posted on 13 May 2012, 03:30 1 7
For me it's oneX .
Better design , better screen , Nice sense widgets and beats audio
81. SleepingOz posted on 13 May 2012, 08:19 3 1
Beats audio? haha!!
84. sniper1087 posted on 13 May 2012, 08:56 3 1
I don't agree about beats, that's a marketing scheme, you won't noticed the difference unless you buy a beats headset and then is insignificant. The s3 offers direct call, pop up play, smart stay, s voice, between other features.
95. thelegend6657 posted on 14 May 2012, 02:19 0 3
The beats earphones is overpriced !
I will use my audio techina I tried it at a store it sounds better with beats equalizer
50. SleepingOz posted on 12 May 2012, 17:05 5 2
Here you go! GSIII wins there!
83. SleepingOz posted on 13 May 2012, 08:39 2 2
Everyone who have read this article, can see the clear advantages of the GSIII over the One X. Unless they're being biased.
93. mrochester (unregistered) posted on 13 May 2012, 14:02 1 1
Or just have a different opinion? All you're basically saying is, agree with me, or I'll call you biased.
94. Loafninja posted on 13 May 2012, 15:10 1 1
Opinion = bias...
110. danwatson posted on 15 May 2012, 10:31 0 0
The HTC Evo LTE fixes most of these issues by adding a microsd card slot and upping the battery. It also improves by adding a camera button.
7. a1000smiles4u posted on 12 May 2012, 13:46 1 4
does it worth for an avg user
galaxy nexus was plagued with screen banding, is it still thr ?
any chances of same in s3 ?
8. ilia1986 posted on 12 May 2012, 13:47 1 2
How comfortable is the home bottom to find, press, and hold for awhile for the multi-tasking layer?
How comfortable are the power button and the volume rocker?
Can a person operate this phone with one hand while holding it (with the thumb)?
Are those capacitive buttons at the bottom really are easy to press accidentally, or it's just a matter of getting used to it?
Can the camera lens be scratched if the phone is laid on the table on it's back?
Is there a quick way to access the S-voice feature?
How much free Ram does the phone have without anything running in the background?
How is the sound quality both of the headset and the speaker?
10. Saamic posted on 12 May 2012, 13:52 1 2
How natural the colors of the screen are let's say compared to the One X?
Will the implementation of the S4 processor instead of the Exynos quad-core affect performance a lot?
How well does S Voice work?
What other phones that are coming out in the near future will be able to compete or trump this phone?
Does the camera record in HDR?
22. the_s2 posted on 12 May 2012, 14:47 1 1
Very natural, in the Natural screen mode. I guess, similar to the 'Movie' mode in the GSII(had a warm tint to it).
I dont think it makes much difference. (Except for that LTE part for Americans and Japanese)
A lot better than Voice recognition from GSII(and Siri, coz it can recognize accents)
LG Optimus HD LTE 2 (Comes with an S4 chipset and 2Gigs of RAM though Im not sure the latter would boost the performance)
Yeah. Check GSMArena preview for GSIII.
40. Mario1017 posted on 12 May 2012, 16:30 1 3
The One X's screen is brighter and looks better. some might say the SuperLCD2 over saturated, but at the same time they will say the Super Amoled HD is over contrasted. S4 will not affect performance at all, comparing this phone to the One S with S4, they get pretty similar results (in both GPU and CPU performance) Out of lets say 9 benchmarks the Exynos will win 5 and lose 4 to the S4. The LG Eclipse is coming soon, with its Quad Core S4 and Adreno 320 GPU
58. hung2900 posted on 12 May 2012, 20:15 1 1
Are they 4 benchmark tools you mention?
- Benchmark Pi: compute single core power so S4 has higher clock rate -> higher score
- Vellamo: it's a Qualcomm product, I think you dontmention it right?
- GLBenmark Egypt + Pro onscreen: If you con sider S4 is the winner with 60 fps compared to 59 fps of Exynos, Apple A5 and A5X will be the losers too with only 59 fps. Please check off screen score, onscreen score for high level chips like them only show the limit of screen refresh rate.
- Nemamark: The same as GLBenchmark Onscreen
11. cGmC11 posted on 12 May 2012, 13:54 1 1
The Exynos quad-core prossesor isn't compatible with LTE, but is compatible with the future android Jelly Bean OS?
41. Mario1017 posted on 12 May 2012, 16:31 1 1
any processor is compatible with any android OS and any OS in general..the processor has nothing to do with compatibility with the Software, all it does is run the phone (what ever its running on)
13. cGmC11 posted on 12 May 2012, 14:04 1 1
Which screen have better picture quality between the 4.8" Super AMOLED HD "Pentile" display in the Galaxy SIII and the 4.8" Super IPS LCD HD display in the Pantech Vega Racer 2?
42. Mario1017 posted on 12 May 2012, 16:32 1 2
The one with the best colors is the SLCD2 on the One X
16. Galaxys2...R posted on 12 May 2012, 14:09 1 1
My three questions are
1) can you use the camera during a call like on htc's or sony's I know you couldn't do it on the s2
2) can you watch videos from the video player during a call again you can do it on htc's and sony's but couldn't on the s2.
3)can you use the camera or watch videos from the video player when the battery is 15% and under again something which you can do on htc's and sony's but not on the sgs2.
I know these things do not matter to alot of people but they matter to me, as I am precise in certain things on phones.
63. LionStone posted on 12 May 2012, 21:06 2 1
Yes you can use the camera or shoot video when less than 15% on HTC devices. You just can't use the flash when it's down that low.
85. Galaxys2...R posted on 13 May 2012, 09:00 1 1
Indeed as I have the HTC One S and the sony xperia s so i know what they can and can't do (as stock phones, not modded) and they can do all of the above.
You can also listen to your music while in a phone call on both phones and it doesn't interrupt the call as long as you have the music volume at a medium level.
17. cGmC11 posted on 12 May 2012, 14:11 1 1
How useful & benefits is the aforementioned ceramic coating vs the plastiqui surface on the GSIII?
18. muveszur posted on 12 May 2012, 14:17 1 1
Does the MHL connector support USB OTG and HDMI cabel and the SAME time? The Galaxy S II can't do this...
And which file system support the SGS III? I would love the NTFS filesystem supporting...
19. flywithme posted on 12 May 2012, 14:30 1 1
What barometer sensor it has? It's the same like Galaxy Note or it's different model?
20. x7black7x posted on 12 May 2012, 14:32 4 6
why dont you understand people this phone is better than htc one x in so many ways
1. it has a wireless charging kit
2. have to say that maybe sense 4.0 looks better than touchwiz but touchwiz has more features as compared to sense
3. better processor (proof benchmarks cause they dont lie)
4. better camera then one x (faster burst mode 3.3 pics in 1 sec)
5. more memory than htc's one x
6. doesnt look that bad but imo looks great in white paintjob
7. and now sammy will piss off apple for not doing something that apple can sue
45. Mario1017 posted on 12 May 2012, 16:38 6 4
The one X shoots 4 pictures per second, has a wider apeture and a better image chip. and the wireless charging kit will not be coming until after september, and benchmarks do lie. samsung tweaked the benchmarks of the S2 with the S3 processor to make it seem as good as the exynos. Touchwiz doesnt offer useful features tho, name 3 that you can say you would use DAILY. (you wont use s voice)
69. hung2900 posted on 13 May 2012, 01:30 4 1
S3 shoots 6 pictures/s if you hold it. and 3.3 pictures/s by pushing respectively.
One X shoots better than GS3 with the wider apeture, but the sensor is the same as GS3 and the much shorter lens -> S3 is much more greater than OneX with good lighting condition.
Galaxy S2 with exynos blew HTC Sensation in performance, it's the fact and I dont care how Samsung tweaked the benchmark with Crapdragon S3.
Of course I will use Smartstay, buddy share, direct call and it's gesture control if I have a GS3. I think "doesnt offer useful features" is belonged to Sense 4.0
51. SleepingOz posted on 12 May 2012, 17:11 2 3
Here you go! Judge by yourself.
Mario sounds either like a Samsung hater or a biased HTC Fanboy.
74. FunkyEyez posted on 13 May 2012, 04:39 3 2
He got such a biased opinion... bet he's being paid to promote HTC and downgrade samsung.
24. Bluesky02 posted on 12 May 2012, 15:00 1 1
How is your ICS experience compared to Gingerbread on SG2?
Do you feel a vast change, and a true user experience?
26. Wildmanfan posted on 12 May 2012, 15:04 1 1
My 2 questions are:
1. Which carriers in the U.S will have this phone?
2. If you had to get this phone or the Samsung Galaxy Note, which would you recommend buyers and why?
27. NBAJ2K posted on 12 May 2012, 15:09 1 1
I had the Epic 4G Touch on Sprint and then switched to Verizon and now have the Nexus.
How does the camera picture quality compare to the Epic 4G Touch and the Nexus in bright light outdoors as well as in low lighting conditions? I really am not a fan of the Nexus camera at all, really liked the 4G Touch camera. Is there a dedicated camera button?
Any word on if this phone will ship with a locked bootloader? I know that is up to the carrier, I'm hoping if I do get it to take Touchwiz off and run stock Google.
Is the battery life much better than the Nexus (which is pretty awful)?