Samsung Galaxy S III Hands-on
0. phoneArena 03 May 2012, 17:29 posted on
There she is, folks, the phone that we've been waiting for so long has finally arrived - the Samsung Galaxy S III itself! Introduced at a glamorous event in London, the Galaxy S III comes to freshen up Samsung's flagship Android handset offering, and it really brings a ton of new features...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. jordan30589 (Posts: 15; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
I love the new Galaxy, I admit the One X looks better but the S3 kills it on everything else. And btw, i like the white version better I dont know about you guys.
14. andro. (Posts: 1971; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
I agreed the s3 in white white looks better, The htc one x is a better design also
22. remixfa (Posts: 14169; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
its all going to be in a case anyways lol
32. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Agree one looks better but I don't buy phones on the basis of looks.
35. metoyou (Posts: 278; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I was disappointed about the phone design as well...arrrgg but still gonna get this quad version of S3 :) the white version look nice tho
was considering OneX but two things drive me away is non-removable battery (i dont care what others think about!) and no expansive card support!
43. cheetah2k (Posts: 869; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Looks nice, but after all the hype, I'm kinda underwhelmed to be honest. Looking at the initial benchmarks, I thought the Exynos would be faster than the global One X's Tegra III too, but instead its just on par or slightly slower.
I think the SGS 2's unveiling had a much larger impact.
Hopefully Samsung can introduce the i9800 with quad A15's later in the year :) Now that would be sweeeet!
51. Retro-touch (Posts: 264; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Found the actual performance preview and yes confirms S3 is the fastest:
91. darkknight (Posts: 19; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
No matter what you or we like or great, phonearena people will say copmaring to iphone the sgsIII is great but still IP is better.
2. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
touch wiz is soooooooooooooo cheezy!!! aaaarrrghh!! haha
good thing android is big on custom ROMS...
but my god this phone is nice!
if i was up for an upgrade it would be hard to decide SGS3 or HTC OneX
i'm sure sammy will sell plenty!
11. rallyguy (Posts: 574; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
They will sell a lot. If the S3 and X One were even to me I would go with the HTC every time. Samsung sucks at putting out updates.
38. remixfa (Posts: 14169; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
umm. samsung is beating HTC when it comes to ICS upgrades. The SGS2 already has it and is spreading it around. Wheres the Amaze/evo/sensation ICS upgrades?
44. wendygarett (unregistered)
you mean galaxy nexus? lol
63. leftheodo (Posts: 68; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
The sensation (international version) got the update BEFORE the galaxy s 2. Where's the OG Galaxy S's update? Cause the DHD and Des S are getting ICS officialy :P
67. remixfa (Posts: 14169; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the sgs1 is 2 years old. talk to me when those other devices actually get the update not just a rumor of an update.
besides the sgs1 was one of the first devices ICS was unofficially ported to. I've been running ICS since early December and I waitied 7 versions before jumping on.
64. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Amaze 4G, Sensation/Sensation XE, Vivid/Raider 4G, Rezound, and Sensation XL already got ICS updates or leaked updates.
Samsung has pushed updates only to the international SGS2.
HTC is supporting their Desire HD, Desire S, Incredible S/Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, and the Rhyme. The only phones not getting ICS upgrades are because they literally do not have the internal storage to hold ICS and be able to install applications. (OG Desire, Evo 4G, Droid Inc1, etc.)
66. remixfa (Posts: 14169; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
hunter, I work for T-Mobile .. not a single tmobile HTC phone has the update officially.. in fact I don't think any American HTC device does.
all Samsung devices that are getting ics have unnofficial updates as well.. Samsung freely gives them to the community throughwww.samsungfirmware.com.
the difference is Samsung devices are already in official upgrade roll out stages for at least its flagship with the rest shortly behind where HTC is still in testing phases
71. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
The Vivid already has ICS, the Amaze has a leaked build available, and the Sensation 4G can run the WWE release for ICS with everything but wifi calling fully functional.
Learn more about the products you sell.
74. remixfa (Posts: 14169; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
1) i dont sell the Vivid
2) I SAID OFFICIAL UPDATE, LEARN TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.
3) 90% of actual customers have no idea how to root and install roms, so it DOESNT MATTER. If its not official, its not official.. period.
4) I have no idea what a "WWE ICS" is, but the sensation does not have an OFFICIAL release.
why do people always try to buck up to me with wrong info?? if your going to challenge me on something and throw some sass, please do your homework first.
76. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
1. Then don't make broad generalizations.
2. They're functionally the same when you have a leaked ruu. Just up to the customer to download and run it at their own risk.
3. Those who care can get it without rooting or risking warranty as long as there is a leaked ruu.
4. The WWE is worldwide English rom versions, and the Sensation 4G is exactly the same as international variants with only changed antennas.
78. KParks23 (Posts: 462; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
Yea remixfa. enjoy making ur 10$ a hour and coming to phone arena acting like a hard ass throwing around ur knowledge on tmobile phones lmao!!
79. u-suck-more (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
sensations already got the update before the update for the S2 was announced lol. my friend updated his Sansation XE in February
28. andro. (Posts: 1971; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Thats the beauty of android,you don't like one launcher or style,you can simply download a completely different launcher and ui for your phone
39. remixfa (Posts: 14169; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
exactly. Thats why hardware is more important to me than anything else with android. I can change it however i want, but i cant change the hardware.
65. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Too bad the versions sold in the US will have S4 Krait anyway.
68. remixfa (Posts: 14169; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I'm not buying an Lte version.
nor am I buying an s4 downgraded version.
5. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I think the UI looks way better than ever. I love the clock on the lock screen.
6. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Look at Ray S. over here comparing the SGSIII to the iPhone 4S first. :P
7. matrix_neo (Posts: 321; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
I don't care if most of you disappointed coz it some or never met your expectations., I still like the new galaxy s 3. Samsung has done something that make it differentiate itself from other android phones.. each of us has its own preference and needs in a phone, added features in s3 really give a nice impression. Lets just wait once it is released, it might change your wrong impression. Nice job Sammy..
8. Saamic (Posts: 119; Member since: 20 Feb 2012)
The UI of motorola's phones looks the nicest in my opinion.
I just like more edgy artificial futuristic UIs
9. shamataa (Posts: 202; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
I really like it. The white one looks cool
10. Cosmo (Posts: 32; Member since: 03 May 2012)
what an ugly phone.. disappointing.. HTC One X nailed it.. but nothing can still beat Apple and BlackBerry when it comes to hardware.. NOKIA's catching up too.. at the end of the day, it's not just the processor nor the OS because how the fone looks like still matter A LOT..
13. rallyguy (Posts: 574; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
The Iphone was passed awhile ago. Now it has to play catch up.
24. sun0066 (Posts: 80; Member since: 12 Feb 2011)
what a foolish comment. after all it look really good and specs wise .
31. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
how is it a foolish question? 1. it isnt a question, 2. the s3 is really ugly, everyone can agree on that
33. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Ugly to one person can be beautiful to another... Design and look is opinion based and not fact...So. E have said they like it and some said they don't.
46. ananya22 (Posts: 93; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
You fool do you even know what hardware is? Guessing from your stupid comment i am guessing by hardware you mean the body and the looks of the phone. hardware means the screen,processor,camera, ram , memory. i dont know why people like you who dont know a thing comment. The only people who come anywhere close to the hardware on samsung phones is htc and motorola. and apple is ok but nokia and blackberry put s**t hardware in there in their phones. this is in response to comment no. 10 by a stupid jack***
12. andro. (Posts: 1971; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Im actually not that impressed with the design,it very so-so. The features and the spec are very impressive though. I'll have to wait till i have it to test in my hands in a couple of weeks before i make my judgement.
One thing i do wish they had made made better were samsungs icons,however the beauty of android is you can change icons to any style you like!
16. deeoh1084 (Posts: 49; Member since: 30 Dec 2009)
wow it looks better than i expected to be i really didn't
expect much about the looks but wow this really blew my mind
i love it!!! June here i come!!! i hope at least one of the US
Versions will come with Quad Core that's really all i care about
at least ONE CARRIER has to carry the awesome Quad Core
Exynos processor at least ONE!! please!!! I like it much better
than the One X to be honest (i'm sick and tired of HTC phones'
design they all look a lot similar recently IMO) i'm not bashing HTC
b/c i own Sensation 4G!!!
17. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
What an ugly nast looking curvy phone yuck
i love the s2 design more it dosent look
modern stylish or neat or sexy ....
18. intos (Posts: 87; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
i really want to know who the f... tell them that the galaxy nexus s have nice and sexy shape that they copy to galaxy s3 ???... finally i will keep my sweet bold 9900 ...
19. CivicSi89 (Posts: 348; Member since: 23 Jul 2011)
So. This new Exynos Chip. Can it do LTE? I know the Tegra 3 couldnt thats why we got the Dual Core version in the states. But no one has said that the ExynosX4 cant do LTE. If it can. then oh boy.... This is decimate all by just powering on!
20. androidornothing (Posts: 143; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Omg I love this phone it's so beautiful
21. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 397; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
SOOOO exacited for this phone!! but it's just meh. Nothing super exciting. The UI looks worse then before IMO. But I need to see it in store. And I don't feel so great about the One X after being burned by the TBolt.
23. remixfa (Posts: 14169; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
look.. its one of the nicer sgs3 articles of the day..
and its by ray S! maybe that will quell some of the ray hate... lol
25. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Whoever complaints about design and looks go ahead buy a different brand if it is better than Samsung's components and features.
26. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
i think taco and remixfa should instead bet on the 1st week sales of the galaxy SIII against apple's 4s. since many are saying this phone will break record sales. whatcha think?
40. remixfa (Posts: 14169; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
thats a bad bet. Breaking record android sales are not breaking record sales over all. It will break android sales. When you want the top of the line iphone, you have 1 choice. when you want a top of the line android, you have like 10 choices.
However unless something drastically changes, my prediction is the galaxy4 is the first phone to beat an iphone (5 or 5s) in head to head sales.
27. protozeloz (Posts: 5381; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I wish the contact and call app could look better, i can change those tho.
29. nikhil.agrawal88 (Posts: 18; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
definitely the most powerful..but still one the worst looking..
30. andyboi_ph (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
wow! , another first.. awesome feature from S3. >> "it will be looking in your eyes and since it will see that you're looking at the screen – it won't let it turn off."
52. SherlockHolmes (Posts: 125; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
It will drain more battery as camera would be up all the time !!
58. andyboi_ph (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
i don't usually read for long hours on e-book so it won't be an issue to me though you're correct.
34. NovaRift (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
Im loving this phone, one thing i am concerned about is the fact that we will probably be getting the S4 qualcomm dual core processor here in the states... Also that phone arena hates mobile browsing. Fix your ads so that i can actually close them while browsing on my nexus or i will stick to phonedog lol