Samsung Galaxy S II update to Android Jelly Bean starts rolling out
0. phoneArena 05 Apr 2013, 06:49 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S II, the 4.3-inch Android flagship that launched in 2011, has started receiving the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Yay... Samsung is doing a marvelous job in updating its old phones... kudos to them
9. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
The same time as LG updated their Optimus G. LG ****!
24. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Lol manufacturers are starting to realize updates matter.
17. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Apple seems better to me in updates. It still give update to its 4 years old iPhone 3gs.
21. blingblingthing (Posts: 529; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Ummm. Why is it still counted as an upgrade when you retake out some of the new features?
No shared Photo Streams.
No VIP and Flagged lists enhancements to Mail
No offline Reading List
No 3D maps and turn by turn directions.
That's like getting the Jelly Bean Update without project butter.
23. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Apple does technically give out more updates, but to be fair Samsung actually gives out *full* updates. Apple pulls more features from each major update the further back the generation, so only the new iPhone, iPod, and iPad get the full update.
18. garz_pa (Posts: 154; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
No, they don't. Only their flagships get regular updates. Their old phones get updates half a year later, when Android has moved up another number.
2. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
cool for the people who have the s2. i have a note 2
3. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
ill update my mom's s2 :)
thank u samsung, ur d best!
11. kartik4u98 (Posts: 511; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Lol.. Same here...
I'm also going to update my mom's s2... Excited!!
4. aveaphane (unregistered)
it took them ages to update-most of us have just forgot about the update
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
:Do you see any other OEMs updating phones from 2011 to JB with a newer UI?
12. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
Only samsung does that. I hope sony would be like this. My xperia sola wont have jellybean
19. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3108; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Exactly what PapaSmurf said. Couldn't have said it better myself.
5. tomn1ce (Posts: 212; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
Cool....I can't wait until they bring the update to the GS2-t989 on tmobile...
6. johnriii (Posts: 238; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Just another way for Samsung to stay relevant. take notes, HTC and others.
10. wumberpeb (Posts: 453; Member since: 14 Mar 2011)
Samsung released their Jellybean update for the epic 4g touch, on Sprint, starting on the first of the month. It's only available for manual download, not OTA, so you'll need to download it from Samsung's website or head to a Sprint store...
Plenty of folks still have the device and this is certainly a nice gesture from Samsung
13. trekjock (Posts: 3; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
I've tried updating on my computer using 'Kies', and on the 'software update'. both say there are no updates available! I'm in the UK, on O2 and the phone is the GT-I9100P version. Why won't it update? I've been waiting for this for the last 12 months....I understand it will cure the wifi start-up freeze problem I keep getting..
14. phobia09 (Posts: 4; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
I'm sure it's a rollout and you may have to wait a little bit before it's available to you.
32. trekjock (Posts: 3; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
It is apparently. They say that the NFC version still hasn't been released yet.
15. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 805; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Why this news is coming now on PA? I think jelly bean started rolling out in phases in countries one after the other in Jan.
See the link--http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/23/samsung-rolls-out-android-4-1-2-jelly-bean-update-to-the-galaxy-s-ii/
16. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
No offense but Apple updated its 4 year old iPhone 3gs to ios 6.1.2 :)
Its better than all. Even SII will not get Android 5.0
22. blingblingthing (Posts: 529; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
How hard is it to update a phone when you have taken some of the updates from the new version?
25. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
The truth is: Apple just sent him a replacement cable, you know, the one with the new connector so he could think he's on i-sLOW-s 188.8.131.52.89.65.989999999999........
(Ssshhhhh.... don't tell him)
28. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
I am a Nokia user.
26. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The 3GS launched with iOS 3, and was updated to iOS 4, 5, and 6. iOS 6 is the last major update it will get.
Meanwhile, the Galaxy S2 launched with 2.3, and was updated to 4.0, 4.1, and will be updated to 4.2 which will be its last update.
Wow, you see, the GS2 will get 3 major OS updates, the same as the 3GS. Not only that, but Samsung doesn't have to pull out features from the update to make it run better, because with the 4.1 update the GS2 actually runs SMOOTHER. The 3GS lags all the time and crashes in apps 80% of the time on iOS 6, while the GS2 is running better than ever on Android 4.1, and will still run that smooth on 4.2.
iOS might get faster updates, but Android gets FULL updates. Also, Android devices get faster with updates; iOS devices get barely usable after 2 or 3.
29. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
No hate for any one of them.
20. pept68 (Posts: 30; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Your funny!! the 3gs got 6.12... Truth is, it sucks now more than ever!!! Should of stopped at 5... at least it wouldn't be dog slow and i would still have google maps. Look!!! i got iOS6, but i don't have siri apple maps vip email etc... But i have iOS6!! look at me.
At least an android regardless of version, is a fully featured phone. Unlike iOS full, IOS Lite and iOS neutered. ipad mini has same internals as an ipad2 but no siri for the ipad but the mini gets it and some how they are both on 6?? Your fragmentation argument is both weak and silly.
27. arqjav (Posts: 55; Member since: 29 Dec 2009)
I had this update for about a month now and is not that great my phone lags every time sometimes it freezes when I exit an application, the new features in Jelly Bean like 360 panorama view is not included,my battery last a lotless than with ICS.The update of swype doesn't let my save new words,the rest of the updates does work great.
31. trekjock (Posts: 3; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Just had a chat with some of the O2 Gurus, Apparently although the new update is out for most of these phones, it STILL hasn't been released for the NFC version (which is the one I've got!)
As far as the WIFI freezing issue is concerned, I need to go into one of the stores and get them to do a manual software check (apparently)