Samsung Galaxy S II supposed carrier-specific names leak out
0. phoneArena posted on 16 May 2011, 09:37
Ah, the Samsung Galaxy S II... We know that this great smartphone has been on top of Mount Everest, we know that it has the power to score more than 4000 points on Quadrant, and now we even have a reason to believe that we know how it will...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Johnny87 (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 09:45 0 0
No!!!! It has to come to tmobile!!! No!!!!
2. scruffle (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 09:49 0 0
I totally agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. protozeloz posted on 16 May 2011, 09:54 1 1
T-mobile May become part of AT&T so they may restrict some smartphones to make any merger easier.... just saying
6. Socalvenom posted on 16 May 2011, 10:06 0 0
yup that's why I did question the thought of "Why" if At&t might merge with T-mobile
12. remixfa posted on 16 May 2011, 11:06 5 0
the phone reportedly has both ATT and Tmo 3g/4g signals in it anyways. I highly doubt its not comming to TMobile.
My guess is that the other carriers wanted a highly modified version like last time and Tmo's will be more like OEM last time, but with a similar button layout to the vibrant.
28. protozeloz posted on 17 May 2011, 07:24 0 0
actually T mobile seems to use a different system for their 3G+ I've tried getting one mytouch 4G to work on a company with GSM band 900MHz and I only get edge witch means other quad band phones wont get 3G on T-mobile's network unless fixed to work there (see iPhone 4)
and yeah it could mean T-mobile plans con simply calling it Galaxy SII
4. scruffle (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 10:04 0 0
Then why is the htc sensation coming only to T-moblie??
5. nacixem posted on 16 May 2011, 10:04 0 0
if this is true, i'm gonna hold out on the INFUSE and get the ATTAIN...man to have dual core and 2.3 would be amazin. wooh, cant wait.
7. testman22 posted on 16 May 2011, 10:16 2 0
I guarantee you those names are code names and will not stick. Attain function and within are the most boring names I've ever heard- you really think samsung would do that?
13. Tree (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 11:06 2 0
Check the US Patent and Trade Office. Trademark was filed on 3/17 for the Samsung Function and Samsung Galaxy Function.
8. WirelessCon posted on 16 May 2011, 10:20 1 0
Those are terrible names, you these idiots actually have marketing degrees? ATTain on AT&T, ha ha, I'm sure they thought they hit a home-run in that lame marketing proposal. Sometimes MBAs are worthless.
9. bigboy029 posted on 16 May 2011, 10:54 0 0
Wow, just looked up the review and this phone sounds awesome!! I would definitely consider this. Does anybody have a rough estimate to the release date? I'm looking at both the Droid 3 and this, and I'll probably end up getting whatever releases first.
15. ATTCallCenter (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 12:37 0 0
That's where my choices lie now as well. I have the Incredible now, great phone, some problems with freezing a little though. Just have to lock and unlock, no biggie. But these new phones are monsters compared to the Incredible. I'd go with the 3 if it is LTE
10. Debbie (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 10:56 0 0
The question is now for us on Sprint....will Sprint make the "Within" a keyboard model or stay with the current model.
14. spectre1006 posted on 16 May 2011, 12:15 0 0
S2 blows droid3 out of the water tbqh. Faster processor and lye and better screen. Just no keyboard. If u need a keyboard, Droid 3 is ur choice.
32. bobby2680 (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2011, 21:15 0 0
cannot incredible to s2. not fair. instead compare s2 with the sensation. my personal choice id go for s2 but some sites says sensation has better GPU. but id still choose s2 :)
11. xenover (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 11:04 1 6
"4000 points on Quadrant"
yeah, oc-d to 1.5 ghz
LG O2X did better @ 1.4 ghz - about 4200
33. CoolPhone (unregistered) posted on 18 May 2011, 21:04 0 0
Yes but quadrant scores are not optimized for Exynos dual core CPU units yet because its newer than the tegra 2 so im betting it will get better scores if the programs recognize the new (dual? powerVR gpu.) After all an overclocked 1.5 captivate with single core Hummingbird can pull of a 2000 and it has only (one?) PowerVR gpu. Also remember OS has some affect too and touchwiz has never been really fast stock. : (
16. YoseYO posted on 16 May 2011, 13:37 0 0
I wonder if Verizon will pull what they did on the fascinate and put Bing on it, that would be highly upsetting (well for me anyways)
31. Tottenham posted on 17 May 2011, 20:12 0 0
Disappointing, yes. But as long as I don't have to subscribe to VZ
Navigator for turn by turn directions I could probably live with it for such a badass device.
18. Carlos (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 13:50 0 0
T-mobile is probably not getting one, because it might become part of ATT, so they will both probabaly share the Attain. I have a feeling this merger is going to go through, (ATT put 6 billion dollars on the line, they wouldnt do that unless they know it was going to go through :(, and now T-mobile is not getting this phone.
19. JayLeBlanc posted on 16 May 2011, 14:09 0 0
All versions of the Galaxy S II currently out in Europe are GSM phones, right?
How much work in is involved in making a CDMA version for Verizon/Sprint in the US?
Also you won't be able to talk and use data at the same time on Verizon/Sprint right? Only AT&T?
20. luis_lopez_351 posted on 16 May 2011, 14:27 0 0
Samsung did a very selfish stupid mistake. I hope the merge fails, and samsung has to make a better exclusive SGS2 for T-Mo.
21. Confused (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 15:12 0 0
I fail to see how this is even valid. T-Mo operates on technologies in the core device. All they have to do is re-brand the shell and shelf it.
27. KingK (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 22:41 0 1
Zero chance it gets LTE. Zero
29. bri123 (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2011, 09:42 0 0
why not?? it would be foolish for verizon to have the only one of the three that is not 4g. since sprint and at&t will have it. i am hoping that it is 4g/lte for verizon or they will be shooting themselves in the foot on this one. and not having it will sway me from getting one,lte..first day buy!
23. fairly_mismatched (unregistered) posted on 16 May 2011, 16:38 0 0
I've never had a Samsung phone; they don't come with locked bootloaders like Moto's do they? I'm interested in the "Function" whenever it drops on VZW but I refuse to use that childish looking Touch Wiz UI.
25. america123jeff posted on 16 May 2011, 20:08 0 0
well if you dont want the UI then dont get the phone. as simple as that
26. Bulletshifttsi posted on 16 May 2011, 21:30 2 0
If they Wait any longer to Release this phone, me and others i know of will not wait any longer and just buy something else. At this rate were looking at the Third Quarter for this phone. Thats a far cry from the original promises of the beginning of the year. The phone is amazing but i'm not gonna die of old age just crossing my fingers here.
Very Frustrated consumer.
34. MATEO (unregistered) posted on 26 Jul 2011, 18:12 0 0
HEY MY PHONE CARRIER IS U.S CELLULAR WOULD I BE ABLE TO USE SAMSUNG GALAXY R PHONE WITH MY CARRIER?