Samsung Galaxy S II might not get updated to Android 4.2 due to TouchWiz issues
Samsung promised to update the S II to Android 4.2 (and possibly even Android 5.0), but it has run into “adjustment problems with TouchWiz”, so chances are it won’t be able to deliver on that promise.
Let’s be realistic, though. Android 4.2 is a relatively minor update, and getting 4.1 Jelly Bean on the now two-year old Galaxy S II already seemed like a threat (in the context of Android).
Interestingly, the original 5.3-inch Samsung Galaxy Note is also based on the same hardware so while nothing has been said about its update path, it seems likely that it is also off the list for 4.2 Jelly Bean. The more powerful Samsung Galaxy S II Plus is still said to be getting bumped up to 4.2.
source: Connect.de via SamMobile
1. ddeath (Posts: 167; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
It doesn't matter. S2 is already fantastic on JB.
15. AmitMajumder (Posts: 173; Member since: 21 May 2012)
But how is the S2+ "MORE POWERFUL" than the original and is eligible for the update to 4.2?
20. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Just a lame excuse from Samsung but yes agree its wonderful at Jellybean itself. Galaxy SII is the best smartphone design from SAMSUNG side till date.
23. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 8356; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Well it is a 2011 phone and they at least updated up to Jellybean 4.2. I'll give them that much and they didn't screw their userbase like another OEM did with update capable phones. Phones that didn't really get Jellybean or even ICS.
Most people who have the S2 should be able to upgrade by now.
26. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10212; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm proud you produced a non-biased comment. :')
27. lovefist (unregistered)
Thanks mxyzptlk, you're appreciative of android OEMS lately.
S2 user here, I'm fine with my s2 using vanilla rootbox ROM with 4.2
35. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
SAmsung can do it if they remove those unnecessary bloatware from their TouchWIZ .....and 4.2 is not a Major of an Update !!! Booo Hooo SAMSUNG ...
But we already have gotten early builds of CM 10.2(Android 4.3 )on our SII.....
Samsung if you r going to stop support for S2 then release its Exynox source code & we won't even care if u release an update or not...that's all we ask ..
33. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 771; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Its ur excuse.. coz u cant do that on ur iDevice..
25. sid07desai (Posts: 290; Member since: 03 May 2012)
B!tch please. Been running AOKP 4.2.2 since months. Makes my need to upgrade to S4 go away..
36. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
And 4.3 builds have poped up ..i didn't think they would be able to do it so quickly !!! They did it in 4 days afta the release of Android 4.3 !!!! ....Respect for the Dev's working so hard for SII ..
3. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 950; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
That's a damn shame, not a biggy though, this phone has seen almost Nexus type update support, it is the one global 2011 flagship to get up to JellyBean. :)
5. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Galaxy S1 was also deprived of a update for Android 4.0
37. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
YES ..i agree .. the S1 didn't get justice on that part ....
4. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Those who got the S2 when it first came out wont have long to wait til they can upgrade their device and start a new contract. So realistically, they probably wont be that bothered about this.
14. AmitMajumder (Posts: 173; Member since: 21 May 2012)
What do you think? Everyone who ones a phone is from the States And are tied to a contract?
6. VJo003 (Posts: 356; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
Having said, this was a one of the best updated phones ever.
7. Zeus.k (unregistered)
Samsung actually did a great job with s2. Btw I'm running latest AOKP jb mr1 4.2.2 and I'm pretty sure it will get 4.3 also with root. So if you can root then head over to XDA and you can get plenty of support for s2.
8. alterecho (Posts: 1097; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
The Galaxy S2 was the last good (very good) phone from Samsung.
9. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Except the note, note 2, s3, s4 and all the other phones which have been awarded the best phones, no one can deny the note 2 was a great......
13. alterecho (Posts: 1097; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Spec/performance wise maybe. I was talking about both Specs and design.
I don't know about the Note 2 (i don't like huge phones, so can't say anything on it), But many, i know, feel S3 design was horrendous.
21. Jason2k13 (Posts: 978; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
the S4 is a good design phone actually, S3 not soo much.
10. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
"getting 4.1 Jelly Bean on the now two-year old Galaxy S II already seemed like a THREAT"
i think you mean treat. anyway, it should directly be updated to 4.3 since its optimized for slower hardware.
11. Adithya7184 (Posts: 317; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
thank you so much samsung for supporting 2011 flagship phone upto 4.1.2. it doesn't matter if it gets 4.2 or 4.3 . i still love it.
16. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Bollocks. Got a mate who runs 4.2.2 slim bean. Works perfectly.
17. sum182 (Posts: 229; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
So how about the just remove touchwiz and make it an optional upgrade with a disclaimer that it will be stock if you choose to accept it.
18. Cyberchum (Posts: 608; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
My only complain with my SGS2 is overheating and crappy battery everything else works just fine.
19. JDogg5281 (Posts: 64; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Go ask HTC 2011 Flagship phones (Sensation and Amaze) about Jellybean
22. Tsoliades (Posts: 226; Member since: 22 Dec 2012)
Screw you Samsung, I'm already running 4.2.2 on my S2.
34. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
they don't want to hurt SIII and S IV mini sales
38. Blazers (Posts: 382; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Too all you people saying you already have 4.2.2 or 4.3 on your S2: the problem is about adding TOUCHWIZ to 4.2.2., not some stock ROM. 4.2.2 and Touchwiz is obviously a big issue, as Samsung is having problems even implementing it on the S3 and Note 2, let alone the S2.
39. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3648; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
They previously said that SII will get updated to 4.2 and now they are not.
40. sxxb83 (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
I have the galaxy s 2 from straight talk. How can i update my phone if not already updated?
41. sxxb83 (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
"I don't know about the Note 2 (i don't like huge phones, so can't say anything on it), But many, i know, feel S3 design was horrendous." -why do ya say that Alterecho? I had thought about getting the gs3.