Samsung Galaxy S II finally announced for US, due out mid-September
0. phoneArena 30 Aug 2011, 18:13 posted on
Samsung has finally announced the Galaxy S II for three of the four major US carriers. The phones will be launching in mid-September with minor variations for each carrier...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
yerp, Epic 4G Touch FTW. i figured they'd all be pretty much the same as each other and i'm glad they came to the States with Exynos. the Droid 3 has officially been dethroned from being the most powerful Android Smartphone in the states.
11. wolfordtw (Posts: 16; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
about Fu*king time. Go sprint. Layeth the smacketh down.
31. thatoneguy... (unregistered)
lol the droid 3 was never the most powerful android phone that would be that-
2, Motorola photon
3, Evo 3d or droid 3
4, atrix or sensation or Droid X2
P.s i don't care about benchmarks only real world use
41. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
well i'm not talking about real world use. in terms of power the Droid 3 was the most powerful Android phone you could get here. if you wanna know which ones perform better in real life usage it would be 1. G2x 2. Droid 3 3. EVO 3D 4. Photon 4G 5. Sensation 4G.
45. TOdoubleD (Posts: 114; Member since: 28 Mar 2011)
Droid 3 would be like 5th on my list. Wasn't impressed at all.
47. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
well too bad because it's really powerful and i'm pretty addicted to how nice it is stock. i do have the V6 SuperCharger kernel on mine and most of the bloatware is gone so mine runs better than probably any you've ever used.
48. thatoneguy... (unregistered)
doesn't the G2x get better scores than the Droid 3 in quadrant and other benchmarks making it the most powerful android phone?
51. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
not really. for one thing it's stock and the best i've seen it get is somewhere in the 2700-2800 range on Quadrant and i've peaked out slightly over 2700 on my own Droid 3 before i modified it and it has an overlay and half the RAM (even though it's dual-channel) the basis of my claim comes from the fact that until the Droid Bionic and the LG Thrill 4G comes with their OMAP4430's then the Droid 3 being the only phone here with it is the most powerful because the OMAP4430 is second only to Exynos in terms of raw performance.
55. thatoneguy... (unregistered)
I've used the Lg thrill (the European version) and i didn't notice a difference between it and my evo 3d and that saying something because supposedly my phone uses some ancient dual core processor that every body seems to hate. But i im agreeing with you the G2x is pure android so it wouldn't be a fare
53. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Thumper is correct. The droid 3's over all power is much higher than the sensation.
it would go like this
2) LG 3D, Droid 3
3) G2X, Atrix
4) evo 3d, sensation.
WOOO HOOO EXYNOS :)
64. thatoneguy... (unregistered)
most powerful phones in the world would be
2, G2X, photon 4g
3, Evo 3d, droid 3 and atrix
4, sensation, my touch 4g slide and droid X2
5, LG thrill--------> (reason why its last is because of its touch screen don't believe me look it up on phonedog review not responsive at all)
65. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
evo3d, sensation, mytouch4g slide are the same phone. one has 3d, one has a big screen, one has a keyboard. hardware and software are almost identical otherwise.
LG thrill's touchscreen issues have nothing to do with how powerful it is.
seems more like a "my faves" list than a power list.
photon, droid3, and LG thrill all have the same chipset and similar ram setup. the only difference is OS.
70. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
he meant the Bionic not the Photon.
Photon < Bionic
71. thatoneguy... (unregistered)
ok can you explain to me how the G2x is 3rd when its only second to the sgs2 in term of performance wise?
Also i know for a fact the photon is way faster than the droid 3 because I've used both and one more thing are we basing it of spec list or benchmark and real life use??
73. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the G2X runs the Tegra2 chipset, which is 3rd most powerful.
exynos (sgs2) > Bionic (OMAP) > G2X (Tegra2) > Evo3d/sensation (snapdragon)
74. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
xD i think you're getting confused. i'll break it down as cleanly as possible for you.
1. Galaxy S II - Samsung's Exynos = King, all lonely at the top.
2. Droid Bionic, Droid 3 & LG Thrill 4G (Optimus 3D in Europe) - Texas Instrument's OMAP4430 = second only to Exynos.
3. G2x, Photon & Atrix - Nvidia's Tegra II = 3rd best, okay but still behind the OMAP4. the G2x can give any of the mentioned OMAP packing phone a run for it's money in benchmarks because it's stock Android and commonly puts out scores towards the best of what the Tegra II can dish out whereas on phones like the Photon, Droid 3 and even the Sensation 4G benchmarks will fluctuate because of slight software bogging.
4. EVO 3D & the Sensation 4G - Qualcomm's MSM8660 (S3) = worst dual-core chip set but is not so apparent behind HTC's fine job with Sense.
80. thatoneguy... (unregistered)
ohh so were basing it only on the processors.... isn't that kinda stupid because like i said before i used the LG thrill and didn't notice a deference when compared to my evo 3d but im not trying to argue with you i know the exynos is the best followed by the OMAP and so on..
All im saying is there is sooooo much more to what contributes how powerful a phone is besides the processor for example software, ram etc..
81. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
software doesn't attribute to how much power a phone has. advanced users like remixfa and i mostly just care about the raw power and potential of a phone, then we consider build quality and then we consider software. say you're a regular CM user and you just want the most raw power you can get for running your favorite ROM then you only consider the processor, RAM, etc. because take away the software and that's what you have. that's how you determine how a phone is technically "better" but you still may want something else that feels better to you and that's fine but also consider the phone's raw power because after a while you'll notice the extents of your phone's capabilities then when you realize you may have made a bad choice you'll wish you had gotten more bang for your buck when your friend with the Galaxy S II is playing the next coolest game smooth as silk while your EVO 3D studders through every level and that exact situation is actually pretty possible.
83. thatoneguy... (unregistered)
hahaha ok im done arguing with you guys you seem to know a lot more about this kinda of stuff than me BUT one thing i can assure you is my Evo 3d is no slug i don't care what you guys say about how slow the processor is i've done every kinda of hard core gaming, flash enabled websites, and watching videos on it and see no lag what so ever plus if i could live with my palm pre 600mghz processor for two years i could handle my Evo 3d 1.2 dual core for the next two years to come.
84. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
i'm not saying it's slow in general. it's a very fast phone but in comparison to like the Galaxy S II and the Droid 3 it's kinda slow.
86. thatoneguy... (unregistered)
Benchmark wise its kinda slow compared to the droid 3 and sgs2 but real world use there the same ok im not gonna lie the sgs2 is a bit faster like two or three seconds the most but the droid 3 and evo 3d are a dead tie
88. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
yeah when you're navigating through the interface but while doing more extensive things like video playback and games the Droid 3 excels over the EVO 3D.
90. thatoneguy... (unregistered)
LoL how about we just agree to disagree?
107. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
what thump3r said. lol. i think he covered those bases pretty well.
if you ask what is the most powerful, we gave you that list. anything else is user preference on overlays as well as manufacturers bogging down the chipset with their overlays and bloatware. Neither of which are power related.
2. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2237; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
AT&T's samsung will have a 4.3" Super AMOLED Plus display?? Wtf !!! I wanted the 4.5" screen!!!!!!! Damn!!!!!
25. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1230; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
The AT&T version looks nearly identical to the infuse minus .2 inches.
59. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
and +1000 horsepower. lol. dont complain over .2 inches.. rejoice that the phone isnt using a darn snapdragon processor like they kept trying to tell us it might! :)
3. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3103; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I'll be switching to sprint next month =]
4. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
don't count Verizon out. there's a reason they didn't want the Galaxy S II, you better wait to find out what. it'll have to be soon too to make their absence at the Galaxy S II party forgettable.
6. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3103; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
its only a rumor at this point about the nexus prime. I am going to give the galaxy s2 a 2 week trial though.
7. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
i don't even necessarily mean the Nexus Prime but something Verizon feels smug enough about to pass on the Galaxy S II in any form for. it's very curious. yeah, try it out, tell us what you think.
8. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3103; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I know what you mean but sadly I am stuck on a original droid at this point. My droid x kept giving me horrible problems and they sent me 3 different ones and still no luck. Lets face it 2.2 made the original droid pretty laggy and its driving me crazy.
I know I have sounded like a damn sgs2 fanboy for some time now but a 4.5 super amoled plus, dual core Exynos processor with a huge 1800 mah battery running the latest version of android and only 200 dollars. I cant resist that offer, hell amazon and best buy might offer it even cheaper than that.
10. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
just don't mess up and lose your unlimited data on Verizon for your excitement of the moment. look at the big picture.
15. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3103; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
don't worry with the 2 week trial I'm not switching numbers and cancelling service with Verizon. I'm just trying out the phone for the time being.
32. TOdoubleD (Posts: 114; Member since: 28 Mar 2011)
Sprint actually gives you 30 days for a trial period.
12. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Great for Samsung USA, I hope rotten APPLE drop all lawsuits so American can have Galaxy phones. If Apple still ban Galaxy phones we must go on strike at all Apple stores in America.
13. Areyoukiddingme (unregistered)
What the heck is with these huge screens.... 4.5"!!!?!?!?!?!??! Why is the iphone, the most popular smartphone only 3.5" but all these other idiot companies think people want to talk on a freakin tablet???? i am so disapointed
16. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
uh because we do? if Apple put a 4.5" screen on an iPhone i bet it would sell.
17. Areyoukiddingme (unregistered)
why can't they at least make one high end spec phone that easily fits in a pocket.
18. Areyoukiddingme (unregistered)
whats next 4.7" then 5.0". why not just go all in and make all cell phones 10" tablets and be done with it. you can wear it on your back like a backpack.
20. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
oh gosh! not another half inch. humanity has lost all common sense!
i'm pretty sure they call a slab with a 10" screen a tablet. how could it ever be a phone?
61. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
can you believe it thumper?
how dare they shrink bezels and increase screen size without really increasing the actual phone size!?!? how dare they make better use of the phones real estate!! they should all be like the iphone and be full sized and have huge bezels and a small screen!!!
who does samsung think they are!?! we should sue them for making screens bigger than 3.5 inches!!
24. Missed_The_Mark (unregistered)
I like the idea. Why pay for data twice or carry two devices when one will do. Although to be honest, I would love a tablet-phone that had an 11-12" screen w/ a wide aspect ratio. Goodbye heavy laptop. Hello do-it-all tablet/phone.
27. Azure01 (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I have a Infuse a 4.5" screen phone its not that hard to hold or stuff in your pocket. I think you're acting like a drama queen it's not that serious...
30. biophone (Posts: 1910; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
4.5 inch is a little to big but the infuse is so thin it can pull it off. I think a 3.8 to 4.1 inch screen is the best compromise between power and size. Just make the bezel thin but not to thin either so it doesn't feel fragile.
33. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
the only way the thickness would be a factor on a bigger these days is if we were talking about a slider but really the secret is behind bezel thickness and how ergonomically the phone is designed.
38. biophone (Posts: 1910; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
The bezel can't be too thin either. It makes the phone feel fragile. I would never buy a big fat 4.5 inch screen phone that is so big. If it thin then i might consider.
39. TOdoubleD (Posts: 114; Member since: 28 Mar 2011)
Don't where your Daisy Dukes, and you'll have no problem getting this in your pocket.
50. theo14461 (Posts: 322; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Because we are Americans, and we like everything Super Sized! (sarcastic)
62. Forsaken77 (Posts: 553; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
I'm right there with ya man. I think 4.0" should be the maximum screen size. I have a Sammy Captivate right now and it 4 inches...perfecrt size. I don't get why they're making these enormous screens either. I'm getting the GSII from AT&T the day it launches and I'm glad they went with a somewhat smaller screen.
19. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
i mean seriously do you know how stupid you would look if you had a phone the size of the iPhone and you decide you wanted a Tablet and got one with a 4.5" screen? i'm pretty sure 7.0" would be the Tablet threshold you're thinking about guy
22. Areyoukiddingme (unregistered)
dude, i'm not really calling a 4.5" screen a tablet. i would just like a super thin, light, compact screen ~ 4" that fits perfectly in a pocket. why is this so hard. hell make two versions one 4" and one giant 4.5" for kids like you.
28. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
i have a 4.0" phone and i like it, it was actually the best phone you could get in America in terms of power before this Galaxy S II announcement and you can get one too so don't complain about the bigger phones that come out because some if not most people want a large phone these days.
36. Areyoukiddingme (unregistered)
has anyone seen the actual dimensions yet?
i'm starting to calm down. i've just been waiting for this phone for so long and every spec was perfect until the 4.5" screen was announced. Originally i was getting the Evo 3d, but found it to be too heavy.
44. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
it's okay. realistically it won't be that much bigger than an EVO 3D if any bigger at all. Samsung is pretty ergonomically efficient in designing their phones.
54. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
it will be bigger then the Evo 3D but shorter because the Evo 3D is 6:9 and the SGS2 is 4:3. I believe because the Evo 3D is qHD and the SGS2 is WVGA