Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE is an S II on steroids: 4.65-inch display, pixel density at whopping 316ppi
The Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE on the left, S II LTE on the right
1. DirtySoul (unregistered)
In the source, they don't mention Super Amoled PLUS, guess it's regular PenTile.
6. John (unregistered)
In the near future Phone Arena will have to give news only on Samsung, because Samsung is taking over the world!!!!!!
20. Knicknevin (Posts: 130; Member since: 18 Mar 2011)
The article clearly says "With this bright hope in mind, we’re looking at the S II HD LTE, where HD stands for the 720 x 1280 pixel resolution on the 4.65-inch Super AMOLED Plus display"
21. Victor.H (Posts: 322; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Thanks for mentioning that, DirtySoul! We've updated the article fixing that and adding some more details about the pixel density.
29. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
It's not really fair to compare the pixel density of SAMOLED+ and SAMOLED HD solely using subpixels like that though. No matter how you count the subpixels, 316 ppi AMOLED is going to look amazing. No, it won't be quite as clear as the 326 ppi Retina Display, but it will come close, PenTile or not.
In reality, the pixel density of a PenTile screen is somewhere in between the stated density (316 ppi) and the subpixel-biased density (210 ppi). The naked eye sees pixels first, and subpixels only when they show up as defects (jaggies, etc). The apparent pixel density will be somewhere in the area of 260 ppi.
36. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
The fact that it's AMOLED will make it look awesome. The effective pixel density will be on par with the OG Droid. It never made sense to me that screen sizes kept growing but screen resolution didn't. (I know...processing power requirements.)
2. Ivor (unregistered)
It's amazing！waiting for Galaxy s 2 hd lte.
24. Sam (unregistered)
A new phone every 3 months; getting better every time.
Buy a phone that lasts(remains non-outdated) at least for an year.
44. bucky (Posts: 1089; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
it seems you shouldnt be looking at android for that-thank God for Xda Devs
3. taz89 (Posts: 1765; Member since: 03 May 2011)
well this is what am guessing the nexus prime will be with or without hardware buttons...amoled hd cant wait to see that in person
4. rex0422 (Posts: 30; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
I am definitely, definitely getting this phone- and make a review on it!!! (So should u- PhoneArena!!! John V.?)
5. sprintsucks (unregistered)
remember when the galaxy s2 was worth buying? yeah i remember that week
7. dacastrator (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
I love the specs. I just don't like the Brand.
23. Sam (unregistered)
Same with me :)`
40. dacastrator (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
I'm a HTC guy, but I'm considering a GS2. All of my friends who has Samsung are all having problems. But non of them has a Galaxy S model. So I'm hoping these are different.
8. nyamo (Posts: 273; Member since: 19 Mar 2011)
makes me think of that old popsicle commercial..... "the colors duke... the colors" i'm so hoping this is what the prime is rumored to be. i want the SGSII but if an hd screen is right around the corner maybe another month or 2 will be worth the wait
9. Mooooo (Posts: 212; Member since: 27 Aug 2011)
I wonder if this is basically the next Nexus
14. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
what dillhole thumbed you down. specwise it sounds identical to the nexus... 720p screen, 4.65 inch display, 1.5ghz processor, ect
the only thing they will probably change is that large center button and get rid of it since it will be ICS and it doesnt have physical buttons. I really liked the design of that fake nexus prime they have been using as a stock photo, but something like this would probably be more realistic.
17. PimpStrong (Posts: 310; Member since: 25 Jul 2011)
This phone with ICS on TMO would be truly amazing. Hopefully October will end this agonizing wait.
34. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2568; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Agreed, this sounds exactly like what the Nexus Prime is supposed to be, although maybe not that design.
47. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
think we can start a petition to have samsung make it look like those fake chromed nexus photos? That thing looked pimp. Not normally a big guy for bling, but it really caught my eye.. lol
10. som (Posts: 767; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
SAMSUNG is the best brand from now on they made electronic gadgets, cars, ship building, World tallest building in Dubai, etc
12. dacastrator (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Most people I know who owns a Samsung phone (not specifically Galaxy S models) are not happy in terms of long term durability. But I don't know, maybe the Galaxy S are different.
15. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the galaxyS are definitely different. if your not going to buy top of the line samsungs, dont buy.
18. dacastrator (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
I'm actually very impressed with the SGSII specs. And all of the things that I'm reading about it are all good. I currently own a HTC Desire HD and I think it's getting really old now. I'm considering the SGSIII but still waiting. If nothing better comes out pretty soon I'll probably get this baby. Hopefully I won't get any problems.
13. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 4705; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Now you just have to wait almost forever (in cell phone market time) for Sammy to bring their new creation to the U.S. And when it is available in the U.S., Sammy will be announcing their latest and greatest new phone....
19. PimpStrong (Posts: 310; Member since: 25 Jul 2011)
This phone should be here in the form of Droid Prime with HD screen and LTE. That means it will be here in a couple months (less even) and I doubt that Samsung will announce a GS3 this year.
These HD and LTE GSII's pretty much are Samsungs latest and greatest new (Android) phone for a while.
30. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I'm of the opinion that an HD/LTE GSII trumps a stock GSII. I think Verizon was wise to wait it out.
32. PimpStrong (Posts: 310; Member since: 25 Jul 2011)
I completely agree. These three US GSII's will be cool, but the Verizon Droid Prime will be some serious game changing s**t.
16. Heatfan316 (Posts: 202; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
What processor does it have?it only refers to a 1.5 ghz dual core.
48. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if its a remake of the prime, then probably an OMAP. Normally if its an exynos, its plastered in there somewhere.
22. Sam (unregistered)
Same with me :)
25. steve jobs et al (unregistered)
if samsung brings this to the US, I will sue them for patent infringement.
35. steve jobs et al (unregistered)
thumbs down doesnt take away the reality of my legal position. only i may sell phones with physical center buttons.
37. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I thumbed you down because I thought you were saying Apple would sue for the pixel density! I agree that the center button is the source of their Galaxy S2 complaint.
This phone I'd argue changes the shape of the button enough that it doesn't look iPhony. Looks more Palm Pre-like.
Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple filed a design patent on an iP5 with an oblong center button.
49. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
samsung has been using large center buttons long before the iphone.
53. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Then they should have no problem finding prior art to refute Apple's claims. I'm sure Apple will say something to the effect of button placement relative to the screen, size of the device, etc.
If that were the case though, why didn't Apple sue Samsung when the EU/Asia Galaxy S came out last year? Oh that's right... they needed Samsung's chips.
28. justàthought (unregistered)
Well done samsung. You guys are really bringing the noise. I can't wait for the nexus to drop.
31. Alantef (Posts: 278; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)
this post is THE REASON i wont buy the GSII next month samsung is f**king them self's over by having upgrades to phones before they even release...wtf!
38. phantomash (Posts: 20; Member since: 27 Aug 2011)
remember US is getting the GSII 6~8 months after the rest, so they aren't exactly f**king themselves over this.
52. Alantef (Posts: 278; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)
that's true....very true in fact but the fact of knowing is whats f**king them....why buy now under a two year contact when your already out dated?... will just push me to stay with HTC (dont wanna leave anyway)
58. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol, an exynos wont be outdated for quite some time. even with a 6 month delay, its still the king of dual cores by a wide margin. Of course, the hercules doesnt have an exynos which is why i cry myself to sleep every night.. lol
39. henrickrw (Posts: 402; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
I´m still happy with my GS2..... I rather the Galaxy Tab 7.7..... Too many upgrades in a short time & after paying 750 USD for my GS2 I simply won´t upgrade for now.
41. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
There is at least one new device from Samsung each week ???
And from apple just one new lawsuit each week and no phone !!!
45. bucky (Posts: 1089; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
id rather have one or two phone a year. My sgs2 is already feeling old.
55. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
well sorry from android manufacturers for innovating O.o
don't blame android OEMs, its natural that they do stuff faster.
42. dacastrator (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
A phone's value will depreciate really fast if a company keeps on releasing new models every now and then. So if you bought the SGSII then couple months later they release this, then you're f*cked up.
57. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
its going to take much more time I feel my sgs2 old.
Not as the iphone that are old since the first day
43. harsh_732006 (Posts: 65; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
almost a dream phone..sans the 12mp camera for me
46. samirsshah (Posts: 41; Member since: 10 Mar 2011)
Pentile or no Pentile. Next stop 1920x1080. Go Samsung.
50. tempdogg74 (Posts: 64; Member since: 04 Jan 2009)
Im waiting on the real Successor to the Evo from HTC. ItS romured it will be one of 1st phones from HTC wth an Intel chipset , which will be previewed around CES or MWC time early 2012.
51. ltr (unregistered)
next week, they debut Galaxy Ultra plus,
this time 1080p 3D display, glasses free. lol
I am just joking.
54. Jerch (Posts: 5; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
While of course we would all rather it not be Pentile, it's still worth noting that the resolution will better make use of the large screen size. When you take WVGA resolutions up this high, the UI becomes comically oversized.
59. willardcw4 (unregistered)
It is somewhat frustrating that the LTE gs2 is already announced yet the gs2 isn't out on ATT or TMo yet... but realistically, for ATT, their LTE network won't catch up to where Verizon's LTE network is right now for a couple years... so that gives you enough time to hold onto your gs2 until then :) You can always OC ur exynos to 1.5 ghz with a root. Plus, 4.3" is already a pretty big phone imo... Dunno if I could handle a 4.5" or 4.6".. I'd make an awful chick.
60. KenSanDiego (unregistered)
The Galaxy Note coming out in April will blow all these MFers into the wind. That is the 'One phone to rule them all' - 5.32" AMOLED Tablet phone. I drooling over it alreadyhttp://www.phonearena.com/phon