Samsung Galaxy S 4: what we think we know
0. phoneArena 12 Mar 2013, 11:21 posted on
The closer we get to the official Samsung Galaxy S 4 unveiling, the more hype gets accumulated around the Korean company's new flagship. And as it usually happens prior to any major announcement, the rumor mill is spinning at full speed, bringing all sorts of clues as to what the handset will have in its arsenal of features. To tell you the truth, many of the speculations we've heard so far seem quite plausible, especially since a number of them are backed up by solid evidence. Others, however, we aren't willing to trust, yet we've included them in today's Samsung Galaxy S 4 rumor round-up anyway, just to let you know what you shouldn't expect out of the upcoming handset...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. drpain (Posts: 85; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
It will easily be the #1 selling phone of 2013, that's guaranteed.
2. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1399; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
if it was a fair game without the brainwashing advertising in the billions , Samsung will surely feel the heat from Apple , Nokia,HTC,Sony and even LG
10. smartphone (Posts: 160; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
It will be successful no doubt about it , but I expected atleast a better design.
and I may be in the minority who doesn't care about the removeable battery and microsd card slot but needs better looking phone.
even worse Samsung will throw many cheap copycats of this flagship model to further downgrade its value.
this year is gonna be tough as competition like HTC, SONY , Nokia and even LG are making good phones.
21. akbarkool (Posts: 42; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
yeah the nokial lumia 920 looks way better
46. muhsen (Posts: 272; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
apparently u r the one who's smoking crack, because looks don't mean necessarily better. true fact is lumia 920 does look way better than s3(and s4 if the leaks r right and if it turns out that the s4 is nothing but a bigger s3). and not just lumia 920. iphone 5,xperia z,htc one and even asus padfone infinity all look alot better than s3 and note 2(and the leaked s4)
51. hung2900 (Posts: 822; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Anyway people always keep compaining.
With the unibody design: OMG no battery renovable, no micro SD card
With the removable back cover: OMG plastic, cheap build quality. How the hell can we have a removable aluminum back cover?
52. MrPhilo (Posts: 48; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Yes I was gonna post this too. Plastic has a longer durability and we can remove battery, aluminium is great but it has limitations.
Also everyone has there own preference of what device looks good and what doesn't. I think the design is pretty decent on S4 if it is, even if it looked similar to an S3, it still looks good.
64. therealestmc (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Well then don't make removable. I have a note 2 and I have never open the back. You see if samsung put a good battery in its devices there wont be no need to open it. The SD card can be placed on the side or something.
37. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1110; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Amen brother Amen!
I am so psyched the S4 is here! What makes me even more psyched is I can only expect even more improved upon features in its bigger brother!
69. KINGJUAN27 (Posts: 196; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Ewwwwwh. Samsung is so last year. And so plastic. *pukes* :DD
3. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I have nothing to say. But, these are just rumors, let's just wait for 2 days more before we get shocked or disappointed. :)
8. Yaldo_27 (Posts: 28; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
I think we'll get dissapointed instead of shocked....
I feel that samsung made a something wrong with this device..
13. _Bone_ (Posts: 2141; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I'd rather have initial disappointment to find out just how great things an ugly device holds over stunning looks saddened by poor viewing angles, bad battery life or laggy UI.
If the worst thing you can hold against the Galaxy S4 is looking like a bezel-less Galaxy S3, Samsung did something right.
62. pyradark (Posts: 788; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
but stunning toughness and durable in any wheather condition
72. rgxVOiD (Posts: 436; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Stop the viewing angle s**t, and it's battery has been tested, it last long enough and what laggy UI? You mean touchWiz?
70. rodkurt (Posts: 128; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
well, i wish it has a flexible screen...:D
4. _Bone_ (Posts: 2141; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Just to get facts straight: it won't be made of plastic - it will be made of gorilla glass (front), metal (side) and plastic (back), with the latter being easily replaceable if you want something else though a "plastic phone" is the most durable on the market (Lumia 920).
Why ppl. are overlooking the different materials is beyond me.
66. therealestmc (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
I guess it is because Samsung plastic feels cheap. They should start using the same polycarbonate that HTC is using.
5. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
If you think different and make believe it would be quietly brilliant to produce something incredibly creative that would be designed for humans which when starts connecting people we can all say life's good.
6. jonartpop (Posts: 162; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
The design ugh. HTC One/Xperia Z looks better imo. I love Samsung I just hope the design rumour isn't true.
23. _Bone_ (Posts: 2141; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
They do look better, but am I the only one who doesn't think the S4 looks bad at all?
Made a size-accurate comparison based on leaked specs and with the thinner black bar around the screen, thinner bezel and thinner protective side cover (which will be metal), the design actually is a step-up looks-wise. Rounded yet less toyish,
43. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
You're not the only one, I couldn't agree more with what you're saying.
And, awesome job with that comparison!
PA should hire you!
68. abdane (Posts: 479; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
you are not the only one... i love the GS3 design...
7. N-fanboy (Posts: 538; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
+1 This s**t will sell like a hot cake #FACT
22. voxmarc (Posts: 320; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
that's true and fact,,,while in the land of nokia nevermind stillllll.....
11. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
I'd be interested to see if the rumours that Samsung will also launch the Galaxy Altius on Thursday are true. It does look pretty nice (if the leaked pictures are real)
12. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
i like the metallic finish around that screen, but please, make it more proportionate..\
i would like the shape be more like this
i know that was fake esp when i saw the video, its just so LAGGY that s4 wouldnt be..
14. kvk066 (Posts: 18; Member since: 27 Feb 2013)
"IF" this is the real phone then, Sammy is certainly guaranteed for some thrashing from ne, Xperia Z. Take my word dude...remember this comment on this date and come back
18. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
XZ price will be fastest to crash if one compares GS4/HTC/Sony ... :mark my words as this is real history of Sony high end Phones :)
24. papss (unregistered)
I somehow Agee with both of you.. It's unfortunate that Sony somehow just doesn't get it right when compared to other flagships because they have a great design/build quality and pleasing UI... On the other hand if this is the s4 then that back is about as ugly as they come
16. voxmarc (Posts: 320; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
PowerVR SXG 544 graphics for s4 and octa 5410...confirmed....that two alone blow competition away...perfect combi...power and smoothness...
63. pyradark (Posts: 788; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
and ugly design and easily to crack the screen
17. knights4life03 (Posts: 131; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
They still haven't finalized the design which is good and I'm pretty sure its prototype is wat we have seen. For me the processor and useful features of the software is key
19. FoneAddict (Posts: 211; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Samsung really need to up their game when it comes to production quality! For a phone that will cost £500+ it should at the very least look classy and not like a cheap plastic toy.
20. papss (unregistered)
First off.. That SS phone in that picture looks terrible
SS will more than likely dominate this year due to the countless lemmings that buy what their buddy buys
25. djoscar4u (Posts: 59; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
Nat not again please!!! if is just like the samsung s3 I will pass on this one.
26. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
it must be trick..
s4 can't sell very vell when htc one is there with solid design and to many great spc..
58. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Its not only about the design , or hardware or specs that matters . Its also about the software features and functionality and thats why the Galaxy S3 is sellling well bcuz it some software features that no other smartphone has .
28. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
Sorry if this is a dumb question but do any phones aside from the iPhone 5 use nano sims and do you think it's likely that the S4 will stick to the micro sim?
I'll be going past my local phone provider's store tomorrow so I'm going to get my sim changed from a standard to a micro. Once the S4 has been announced I'm going to make the decision to buy either the S4, the HTC One or an Xperia Z and I know the later two both use micro.
34. papss (unregistered)
No the l920 uses micro SIM cards too.. You can always buy a new tray if you get yours cut down now.
29. Diego! (Posts: 511; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
Check this out... black & white... and stripes once again!!!
What are the stripes we are seeing in every ad for?
30. buccob (Posts: 1656; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
The 3D features on the camera could be similar to those found on Sony phones... the 3D Sweep Multi Angle is very impressive and always receives "wows"... So a feature similar would be nice to see...
I would love for Sony to bring some software features like the ones found on Samsungs new phones... and for Samsung to implement also unique features that Sony do... like CEC (for HDMI), wet tracking (waterproof xperias), touchless gestures (xperia sola), 2 finger scrolling (for list that does not have a scrolling bar)...
But choice is still here on Android...
32. Marcus_h (Posts: 44; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Truly inspiring.......zzzzzzzz.....ooops, dozed off there. I'll it has got really fast......zzzzzzz
33. maurellemejos (Posts: 6; Member since: 15 Dec 2011)
I think the actual device is behind the phone in #13.
36. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Has it ever occurred to you that Sammy use plastic as it is a better material? I bet aluminium phones cannot take part in NFC anywhere near better than a plastic Sammy and the plastic itself allows for better width and durability...next time judge the phone by the specs in software aswell,...
38. papss (unregistered)
Agree 100% that it doesn't have to be aluminum or glass BUT if it is going to use plastic they need better quality polycarbonate and or better paint ie not hyper glaze
39. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6803; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
PLEASE WAIT TILL THURSDAY i hate looking at false SPECS design and pics. its only 2 days away
59. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
The rumors and leaks that are revealed about 5 days before launch are mostly true, but who knows.
40. jeremyc (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
Regardless of whatever the specifics are, the galaxy series (well, except for the galaxy nexus) has been steadily increasing in the market and this phone will be no different. I look forward to what Samsung has to unveil on Thursday.
41. etxx321 (Posts: 2; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Hint hint! It is released on 3.14! It is pi day! and the birth day of Einstein! Doesn't that mean something?