Samsung Galaxy S 4 is officially unveiled
0. phoneArena 14 Mar 2013, 18:35 posted on
Ladies and gents, the waiting is over - Samsung has just officially unveiled the Galaxy S 4. The S 4 brings a sharper 5-inch 1080p display, a snappier processor and an updated, 13-megapixel camera…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
21. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
wait what?? no explanation on the hardware?? what is the screen?? what chipset does it use???
samsung must fire whoever suggested this unveiling...
24. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1119; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
5" SAMOLED 1080p , quad core 5412 CPU /Snapdragon 600 for the USA , 2 GB RAM , 13MP read 2 MP front ...looks like they ran out of ideas
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4199; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The US version would have a Snapdragon 600. While it's clocked at 1.9GHz, it's not the same as Exynos Octa with SGX 544 graphics. :(
27. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4199; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The new software features are actually pretty amazing, especially the Air features. Samsung, prepare to take my money next month for my birthday. :)
39. TaengMarimar (Posts: 3; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Yeah.. the designs are not so cool but at least the new features are pretty good.. better then the iphone5
106. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Why do you guys have to keep saying better than the iPhone 5? Who are you trying to convince us, or yourselves? Here hang on one sec... Better than the iPhone 5. Ok I get it already, the galaxy S3S is better than the iPhone 5.
29. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
I was hoping to see the rumoured galaxy altius
30. tiara6918 (Posts: 1106; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
When they said the battery was removable...hmmm looks like their hitting someone
33. TaengMarimar (Posts: 3; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Oooooooooooook.......... the design is BAD. but at least, new features???
37. TaengMarimar (Posts: 3; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Errr. At least there is new features i guess.. its not that bad compare to iphone5
38. latinlegend81 (Posts: 2; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
i want the hour of my life that i wasted watching this disappointment back samsung.
40. bucky (Posts: 1098; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
That was a reeeeeeallly embarassing presentation to watch.
41. Andrewtst (Posts: 203; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Switching off the live stream now! Boring and SILLY! Bad Broadway idea... No big different as S III. Bye bye Samsung! I am not going to buy S4 !!! Say Hi to HTC One :)
46. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 287; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Don't let the door hit your asses on the way out HTC and nexus fanboys...
107. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
So now there are fanboy divisions within the android community? It's gone from OS fanboys to handset maker fanboys?
47. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5427; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
what a tremendous disappointment. all Samsung has done is bring the specs up to par and shoehorn more TouchWiz features most of which require either more accessories or somebody else with a Galaxy S4 all over the Android 4.2 experience and i don't know if you guys noticed this but Google was hardly mentioned if at all in the entire presentation. the HTC One brings an overall more compelling package and i'm sure the Motorola X will too.
91. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3272; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
And quite a few of the new features are novelty and will just be unused bloat, like the dual camera feature, it just seems impractical to have your face stamped onto a photo.
The Exynos 5 Octa and full HD S-AMOLED display on the GS4 is very nice, but whether that will be enough to make it be considered over the One or Moto X is debatable. Samsung will have to ride on marketing to get their sales, which they undoubtedly will.
50. jpmcnown (Posts: 34; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Should have called this the Samsung Galaxy S3s. Can't wait for all those new app to be ported out to the S3 though.
55. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
LMAOOOOO I was waiting for that. Boy that is funny!!!
66. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude I'm still rolling off that galaxy S3s
52. anjel1708 (Posts: 26; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
That was embarrassing to watch. Very disappointed with the phone.
53. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Sammy samapple sapple apple lol. I think sammy just morphed into apple with the two year refresh cycle. Boring looks, great camera features = pretty good device. I expected more in the looks area :(
62. protozeloz (Posts: 5189; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I really wanted them to adopt the on screen buttons, that would have improved the seeing 100 times
64. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's true. I thought they would drop the home button. It turns out all those Chinese leaks were true.
54. protozeloz (Posts: 5189; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I'll save you the time and name the gimics
1. Stranslate: seriously?
2. Dual cam :(for video chat is one thing, but the idea of taking a picture or a video and then go and attach a picture of your face... SMH
3. That other weird camera thing
4. That thing where you use everyone speakers to play music..
5. New Svoice features... Lucky I still have Google Now!
That's all on my list for now...
56. SaElestra (Posts: 5; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
epic fail.. only fanboy call this innovation
59. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Sammy has pushed the envelope so far that it finally caught up to them. As I've said before, Sammy puts too much into their flagship all at once. To the point where they're running outta ideas, and getting gimmicky. Still a killer phone, but Sammy needs to stop cramming and save some for next time. I wonder what Richard Allen Yarrell has to say.
63. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4199; Member since: 14 May 2012)
For everyone disappointed with the phone, yes there is a little disappointment, but the average consumer won't be. Example, iPhone 5. Not much was different about it and it's Apple's best selling iPhone in Q4 and most likely in Q1.
Point is, it's an amazing phone, and could have been better, but it's going to be tough beating the Exynos 5 Octa.
83. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Tough how dude? It'll get high benchmarks, and quadrant standard, and geek bench. However it's real world end user experience that matters, and that means proper software/hardware optimization.
87. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
And since when does Sammy cater to the average consumer, I thought they were all about the hardcore android techie, cuz the average consumer is clueless and can only use iOS. I've never heard you talk like this dude... Almost sounds like you're trying to justify something. Hmmmmm???
129. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4199; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Well, Galaxy S3 is the best selling Android phone in history. Almost everyone I see now either has a Galaxy S3 or iPhone.
130. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
The only two devices that really matter bro
67. mr.sammygalaxynote3 (Posts: 15; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
-Picture with sound
who can beat Samsung Galaxy S4?
I think no one can beat the S4
69. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Richard Yarrell. Where you at bro? You said total redesign, flexible display the whole 9 yards. Ummmmm hmmmmmm. He'll say something with piss, or pimp slap apple in his post. Watch.
74. THE-ONE (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I was thinking the same to: it is Richard Yarrel.....is that you?
84. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I can't wait to read his piss on apple and all it's users post, or his the S IV will pimp slap the iPhone. He's pretty silent rite now tho. He also said those Chinese leaks were all fake that Sammy isn't apple, they don't make mistakes. Well those Chinese leaks were rite on the money.
92. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3272; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I'm pretty sure he was limited just today. I guess PA decided he needed a time out.
102. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3272; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Yeah, 12 hours ago he was limited. I guess it was for his comments on LG's ads right above Samsung's because that's the last time I can recall seeing him in the comments.
I'm sure you can find him on some other tech sites though, I've seen him brown nosing Samsung on Pocketnow and PhoneDog before.
Anyways, he vastly overestimated the GS4 launch. I mean, sure, the hardware is great and I guess the design improved a bit; but there is no flexible display or amazing, revolutionary, and industry leading software features. Some of the new features I would consider bloat because they aren't all that useful.
104. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
True. I still think its a winner though. I like how they redesigned the camera and flash. Just expected more from Sammy.
111. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3272; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I would've been content with it if only Samsung would've made the polycarbonate on it with a matte finish and left out the more gimmicky features. That would've made it a nice competitor to the One for me, and if they would've thrown in front facing speakers too I probably would choose the GS4.
However; since there are gimmicks that would only serve as bloat to me, the polycarbonate is glossy, and there aren't any front speakers, there's probably be a very, VERY small chance I would pick the GS4 over the One. I despise the glossy look and at this point Touchwiz has become more bloated and intrusive than Sense.
The GS4 will still sell in the millions though because the average consumers buy into all the gimmicks and marketing that Samsung is pushing.
115. darkkjedii (Posts: 7786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Well stated post man. I was really looking forward to this device, but now I'm waiting for the note 3, and the next iPhone. And of course the one.
117. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3272; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Eh, I wouldn't look towards the Note III. It'll probably be what it's been the past 2 years, a bigger Galaxy S with some added S-Pen software, and that still holds the same cons the GS4 has.
As for the iPhone, I just want to see new software. They could keep the iPhone 5S exactly the same as the 5 (aside from the usual processor/camera upgrade), and as long as iOS is revamped and better than ever I would be completely ok with it. At this point, after 6 years of roughly the same UI, anything after a new look is just icing on the cake.
Anyways, regardless of which device I'll choose, I'm just going to sell it around September to get the Moto X. It's pretty clear the launch date will be further than I expected, due to Motorola just putting up a job for the product manager 2 months ago, it's pretty safe to say the X will follow Motorola's usual flagship launches that are later in the year. But, because of the later launch date, I can set my expectations for it higher than I thought because more tech will be available by then; like the Snapdragon 800 that I've been dying to see.
122. protozeloz (Posts: 5189; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Don't know bro, I won't put my bet too high on the moto-google phone at leats not showing up on the I/O will see another step on android... But I have my mind set not to be mind blown this year.
Now HTC vs Samsung, I personally think the first needs to go and make its ui more pleasant, yeah Samsung added lots of trash on their devices but sense its just not making sense anymore...
70. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Well... You know what to expect in the note3.....except it will have a 6in display
73. wizzardtech (Posts: 59; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
htc one will eat this phone alive.. i mean S3s.
what a joke. just a like a cheap toy from china
80. someones4 (Posts: 607; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Yup. A good upgrade for my galaxy s2. I would have gone with either the xperia z or the htc one if the S4 did not meet my expectations. but it does.
Cons of xperia z:
-below average battery life ( according to gsmarena)
cons of htc one:
-not 5 inch display
-no micro sd slot
So for me, its between the htc butterfly and the galaxy s4
95. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3272; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
If your only options are the Butterfly and GS4, I would personally get the GS4 unless HTC pushes out the Sense 5 update quickly.
But, ask yourself, does .3 inches really mean that much to you? And is a micro SD slot really necessary with a 64 GB option? I have a Galaxy S2 myself, and I'm leaning towards the One because of the front speakers and metal body.
Also, it seems now that Touchwiz has gotten more intrusive than Sense at this point. There are too many features on the GS4 that are either impractical or require specific situations to be used, rather than being features that can be generally used and accepted across the market.
94. kashdoc (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
HTC butterfly has everything which samsung is giving us with SG4,,,
Not impressive at all,,,
samsung is better just in marketing nothing else...