Samsung Galaxy S 4 hands-on, specs review, comparisons and more
0. phoneArena 14 Mar 2013, 20:37 posted on
The next big thing... by Samsung, is here! It has been announced that the Galaxy S 4 is on route to Earth and is expected to land sometime around the end of April. Until then, your best way of keeping track of the device as it nears our home planet will be to read the in-depth coverage that we'll be providing you with on a regular basis...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
11. GTR722 (Posts: 261; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
specs are superb...but the things looks so freaking cheap...like those fake chinese S3 that cost 150$ in Amazon....
16. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1235; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
a mobile phone isnt jewellery!
I am not debating use of premium materials but in the long haul (especially if you spend that kind of money on a premium device) you'll get bored with the looks in six months flat!
What matters in a mobile divce is the tandem of hardware and software which contribute to the overall user experience. I own the Note 2 and I am not an S4 fan or something...and my I still like my Note 2 better than S4!
But it does not mean the s4 is bad....I still thnik in phone category its the best (Note 2 is more than a phone so not included) because all Sony has done is take last year's flagship specs and repackaged it in a good looking body. HTC is a great option but their software has issues and anyone would get frustrated. SO therefore its better to have a device with a good UX rather than premium body with frustrating UX.
Therefore I still think the S4 taking into account hardware and software is the best phone out there! And peeople who just judge by looks are very superficial in nature and thats the kinda folks you wanna avoid!
25. gtrxman (Posts: 122; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
It doesn't need to be gold and have diamonds. It just needs to have a build that won't be all scratched after a week of use. Maybe some soft-touch on the back so that it doesn't go flying out of your hands. Maybe a back cover that doesn't show stress cracks. This is a flagship device. Imagine buying a Mercedes and getting vinyl seats.
27. gavrick (Posts: 4; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
GREAT PHONE BEST PHONE EVER!!!! (not that there was ever a great phone u know...)
28. gavrick (Posts: 4; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
WHAT??? You don't like your screen to dim when you are watching "por*" at work, and your boss comes in... that is GENIUS!!
5. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
If you do well, then you do well. There's no unlucky/lucky :)
(btw 4 is also a bad number for the chinese! 4 = sounds like death in mandarin)
18. TheMan (Posts: 467; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
True, in much of Asia it's considered unlucky. So, perhaps maybe it's like The Ring: Get the "4" and you die in a week?
Or is it the iPhone dies? I could never keep that straight. :-P
21. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Give you an honest opinion, iPhone 4 is actually outstanding for its time. The "retina" display still holds up its clarity, battery lasts a day and apps run...fine...sometimes...but anyway, for a phone of its league i think its quite good :) Not like the 4S or the 5
6. epicandroid (banned) (Posts: 40; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
WHAT AN AWESOME PHONE!!! :P LOVE IT! :D
7. jacko1977 (Posts: 428; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
is it just me or is there a new design every 2 years
sgs III/sgs IV
think about it
14. Dynamac (Posts: 23; Member since: 01 Dec 2012)
I think every 2 years is fine...do we really need a brand new design every year? Well, maybe, but the companies don't. Changing designs dilutes brand recognition which is a very valuable goodwill for the general public, its a numbers game at the end of the day.
10. superiorbeefjerky (Posts: 14; Member since: 18 Feb 2011)
Looks like Samsung is now following the way of Apple. Mehhhhhhh...
13. aahmed215 (Posts: 160; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
It's a nice phone. I'll wait for it to be released and read the reviews/wait for the bugs to be fixed. So I might as well wait for the next Nexus from Google then compare them both.
15. fsahin (Posts: 46; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
I did not feel anything new.Almost same design no added value vs SIII.I like HTC One more
17. howardbarrett (Posts: 45; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
I'll wait for the Note 3 instead
1. Android 5.x
2. Sharp IGZO screen (6.3")
3. Snapdragon 800
19. Andrewtst (Posts: 592; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Fail product, Samsung follow Apple step was bad move! Bye bye Samsung! You no longer get my support.
HTC One will be mine once it out to replace my current S III.
20. Veritas_Aurora (Posts: 19; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
I don't know why people don't complain about the boring appearance? Since S4 is quite similar with the widely-sold S3. And do you (I mean the Samsung fans) really like the plastic back cover than the aluminum iPhone, or someone only want to see a great qualified rival who can compete with Apple
22. aldane (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
yeahh..specs are very superb...but see now the real sumsung s4 is totally a dumped...nothing's new...HTC and LG OPTIMUS G is far better than sumsung s4...weeeeee...
23. aldane (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
go for LG or HTC ONE..THEY ARE INNOVATIVE THAN SAMSUNG S4..
26. wilsong17 (unregistered)
how is the htc better
24. gtrxman (Posts: 122; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
Overall a nice phone, but for me, the addition of Samsung software is a non-starter. TouchWiz is just plain ugly and cartoonish. Haven't seen this display, but if it is anything like the over saturated S3, then I'll pass. Specs are nice but so are the competition's. I can imagine fighting with the silly recognition software stopping and starting a video every time I blink or if there is some sort of reflection on the screen. Hardly innovative. Once again the build is cheap plastic. Kind of like paying for a Tag and getting a Timex.
34. FairJudgement (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
I think its a level playing field where Performance and Interface are almost similar, so the only thing that matters amongst the 3 (Samsung GS4, Sony XZ & HTC One) are:
1) Design and Looks - Here, HTC One wins without an argument. Sony XZ comes next and Samsung with the same plastiky look as in S3, Note 2, Grand etc etc is last.
2) Camera - Both Sony XZ and Samsung GS4 have 13 MP Camera, here not much to choose between the two as it is incremental to have 13MP over 8 MP. However, the 4MP Camera on HTC One performs best amonst the 3 in terms of Low Light Performance. So the Geeks can choose SGS4 or Sony XZ whereas the cool boys would prefer low light stuff of HTC One.
3) Entertainment - Here both Sony XZ and HTC One are brilliant with their unique features, XZ is excellent for being Water resistant and it would be handy for Pool Parties, Bathroom , Adventure etc whereas the HTC One with its best of the lot Speakers is great for Music Lovers. The Samsung GS4 in terms of entertainment actually lacks the wow factor as its plain looks makes it boring and the galaxy fans usually end up flipping covers thats it.
Conclusion - The Geeks and Marketing influenced Novice would go for SameSame GS4. Cool Dudes, Well Balanced People and Sophisticated Babes would go for HTC One. Hot Girls, Youtube Addicts and Celebrities would endorse a Sony XZ.