Samsung Galaxy Round is now official, phone has October 10th release date in Korea
0. phoneArena 08 Oct 2013, 23:03 posted on
Tuesday night, Samsung introduced the first smartphone to come with a curved display; the Samsung Galaxy Round isn't traveling too far away as it will make its debut and launch in Korea on Thursday. The device will originally be offered in Luxury Brown but other colors will be available later. The Samsung Galaxy Round offers what is called the "roll effect" where the phone is tipped downward in the landscape mode and shows the time, missed calls and battery level...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Topcat488 (Posts: 1392; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Only problem i see is side view display looks dark, on the edge nearest you.
Look at the start of the video, before you push play at that dark display.
23. daddysbeenabadgirl (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
A lot of people said the same thing of a giant phone with a stylus. I will reserve judgement until it comes out.
39. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 660; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
LOL, I agree with you, I thought ppl that come to this site love and appreciate technology, but after this, I realized they are more into good looking gadgets than what the gadget can do. Because if you love and appreciate technology, you will see beyond the use of the new tech that has bn released. And you will realize the potential this curved screen has, instead of looking what it does now. If these companies had CEO or decision makers like most ppl here, we will be nowhere close to where we are today. Like when ppl thought Galaxy Note was a bad idea, look today. So sometimes someone has to come up with some innovation that ppl will start to look at and come up with useful ideas that will make our lives a bit easier. Samsung is one of those companies that releases gadget and let us the users and developers to come up with more uses. Hope I make sense.
56. Topcat488 (Posts: 1392; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Samsung teased up with the beautiful YOUM designed smartphones,,, thats what we want to see! Lately Samsung only brings out their innovations in tech when they're pushed by LG or another OEM, sigh.
Notice the smartphones announced at 11:53.
58. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
What's special about this note 3 copy except a folded glass which itself isn't any achievement?
51. PunyPoop (Posts: 752; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
This is another RUSHED work from Samsung, they are afraid that if LG will release it first, they will be called a COPY again...
32. Feanor (Posts: 663; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Exactly as I had predicted; Samsung never cares about the concept and use of the device, they just try to wow people with being the first presenting new technologies. I am pretty sure that flexible screens will become important in the future but this first iteration is just pointless.
35. chocolaking (Posts: 494; Member since: 22 May 2012)
This a true innovation from Samsung!!!!
I am sooo amazed!!!
55. poikilo (Posts: 49; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
The near future iterations will be based on this concept.
How do you expect results without taking the first step ?
That's like saying you want to be in grade 1 as soon as being born.
First step matters.
48. ghaniosman (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
Atleast it doesn't feels like a slab in ur pocket
8. KParks23 (Posts: 579; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
Im sorry but this is one of the dumbest electronic devices ive ever seen!
46. voxmarc (Posts: 331; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
its not dark....,that is just how QUICK GLANCE feature works,if your familiar with that feature on Note 2 and the latest versions.
2. ilkinandr92 (Posts: 45; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
I love samsung but thats just pointless xD
4. amats69 (Posts: 1368; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
this ugly curve phone priced at approximately $1,014? seriosly?
12. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Its the insides that count. You can go build the best looking device in the world and put crappy parts in it and people like you would probably love that phone.
42. amats69 (Posts: 1368; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Oh well what if apple htc sony nokia release this kind of phone? Are you sure you Can you still say that?you sure you will still look pn internal? Knowing you....i doubt.. well youre a certified samsung fanboy so whatever samsung offer you, for sure you still buy or defend samsung even if it as ugly as sh!t.beside you are already immune to ugly phones so i understand
5. daniel_bargs (Posts: 325; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
What's changed? its still a normal phone but with a curved display. If they could make a flexible body, then ill believe the flexible phone is real.
9. Andrewtst (Posts: 597; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Useless! Samsung go use flexible screen in next Gear and it will look futuristic like what Nissan idea in NISMO but not in the phone.
10. Bootutu (Posts: 227; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
It's something new and ground breaking, just appreciate it, technology of the future ladies and gentlemen.
11. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 590; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
It looks like a phone that was put into a microwave oven.
13. talon95 (Posts: 427; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Wow. Something new comes out and all they can say is that they don't like it. You haven't even held it or used it and you already know. This group probably saw the first flat screen and said the same thing. If you have no creativity whatsoever maybe avoid making a fool of yourself.
59. laheelahee (Posts: 213; Member since: 09 Apr 2012)
they're just going to hate on it until apple comes out w/ it
14. DanielWalsh1294 (Posts: 18; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
This phone is useless. Who gives a @#$5 if it's curved. Flexible is where it's at. Stop spamming the market Sammy.
15. skuld (Posts: 44; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
this handset was made for people who don't want others to see what they're scrolling
16. matrix_neo (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
It's something new, we still can't decide the fate of this new device. Look at original galaxy note and ipad, and compare their status today. Samsung is creating another category again, if they succeed, I'm pretty sure others will follow also. Lets wait and see, it's too early to decide.
17. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 773; Member since: 11 May 2013)
This is just the beginning of the flex tech.. the display of such is now plastic so throw it anywhere
I saw the curve batt of LG and probably the phone theyr talking is also like this but in a different viewpoint..
71. DONUT (Posts: 401; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
LG's screen bends at the top and bottom, not at the sides like samsung's. and honestly, it makes more sense for it to be curved at the top and bottom rather than the sides
18. HASHTAG (unregistered)
Looks Amazing! Though I wish it was also released in the states w/ a lower price.
21. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Here's my theory now that I saw this: The faux leather back is probably their way of having us slowly get used to their current look, just because they might actually use it for their flexible displays! Think about it - that fake leather could take more bending punishment versus some new plastic back.
I'm only inferring this because it's the second device they release with the leather back, so we'll see if they continue their trend.
50. PunyPoop (Posts: 752; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Wow you sound smart with what you said, well done.. Not
67. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Why, thank you, good sir. Though, I must confess, that I sense much anger and doubt in your life. Good tidings to you, young chap.
Hey, at least I don't sound like I'm 12.
25. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Lol, how? By ending up cross-eyed or something?
26. vananucho (Posts: 68; Member since: 01 Jun 2011)
Sooo, this is the "future" huh?
My guess is that the "future" that samsung dreams with will suck, just like this curved phablet gizmo thing.
60. McLTE (Posts: 804; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Just like their dreams sucked when they brought us the Note series? How well did that work out for them? Pretty well I'd say.
The bottom line is here is that Samsung is NOT just slapping the new, more durable display on the standard flat phone. Why? Because nobody would really notice.
What they decided to do, and it's kind of brilliant actually, is to put it on a phone that will have people talking.. WHOA.. what phone is that?? This will keep people talking and just get Sammy more attention. People may not appreciate the curve - the point of it is to GET ATTENTION for Sammy.
I can't honestly see a need for a display curved in such a manner - hell, I didn't think my Nexus phone's curve was all that useful either. On the other hand.. I don't mind it either.
27. xtroid2k (Posts: 514; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
I think at this point sammy is launching models experimenting with its capabilities. Ill tell ya its naturaly stronger cause of the curve affect in the body. I like the look although im sure it will be a year or two before we see real results from the company. god speed Sammy but im holding my wallet for now. I want that new premium line though or a rugged s5
29. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3702; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Don't know what happened with you guys but I liked it very much... Supercool.. I'm lovin it!
Release it soon Sammy...
31. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3702; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
And 1 thing guys flexible displays doesn't mean flexible phones. The other hardware is not flexible, if all hardware comes with flexibility then only phone might be able to bend otherwise a big NO...
Hope Sammy would launch this phone globally. :)
33. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1981; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
Was this in a microwave oven? Or someone left it under the sun?..
34. DONUT (Posts: 401; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
i just hope this isnt as rushed as the Galaxy Gear is. while LG is taking its time by innovating with other components like the battery for their flexible screen device, Samsung just seems to be rushing into things yet again
37. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
how is a unbreakable screen a useless gimmick!!! Get an education!
38. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Well done sammy!!! The world of technology has just made one massive move forward! LG its your move!!!
40. 5h4yn3 (Posts: 4; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
Dumbest device you have ever seen? Lol
Must be an iPhone user
45. Fuego84 (Posts: 340; Member since: 13 May 2012)
What the hell Samsung, you're rushing to put out any product with a curved screen just so the headlines reads, Samsung is the first to produce a smartphone with a flexible curved screen.
68. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Isn't that how competition works?...
And if Samsung were to be the second ones to release a curved screen you'd all be crying "zomg, copycats." Smh.
Anyway, silly buns, this isn't about having a "curved display." It's about having a FLEXIBLE display. It is cheaper, lighter and thinner, allowing for more design trends.
70. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Oh! And I forgot about the durability of such screens!
47. taikucing (unregistered)
lol. useless. The curve screen is probably usefull for super wide monitors
52. cancerous21 (Posts: 7; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
what i had in mind is a flat phone that can be flex and doesn't break during drop test and not this crap.