Samsung Galaxy Note II "breaking of" video ready: drop test to make you cringe
0. phoneArena 01 Oct 2012, 09:29 posted on
We've always been curious how the Galaxy Note II with its gargantuan 5.5-inch display will fare in a drop test, but were too flaky to do it with our own unit, so here it is, your Moment of Zen...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ddeath (Posts: 156; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
Woah.. heart breaking video! But glad the Note 2 survived the tests unlike the S3, since I'm getting one!!
21. Medel (Posts: 84; Member since: 31 May 2011)
the video was taken in the Philippines! that place is in fort san pedro. :)
32. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 984; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
seems like a nice vacation destination!!! I saw the drop test for the S3 and I wasnt impressed!! The metal casing around the Note II was key to me.............makes me want to get the phone EVEN MORE lol
24. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1064; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Wow that Note 2 held up pretty well and isnt that a piece of art?
I really need to get one ASAP!
2. MarqBland (Posts: 11; Member since: 28 Sep 2012)
Yep, I'm ready for this phone to get here. The iPhone 5 vs SGSIII drop test video made me nervous. Watching the Note 2 fall made me cringe, but thank goodness it survived!
6. ddeath (Posts: 156; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
Heh heh.. any phone that dropped screen down would have cracked, Gorilla glass or not! Anyway, he's demonstrating how it would have dropped if used normally so it makes sense. :)
28. bbblader (Posts: 575; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
old nokia c6-01 - more than 10 times falling on an edge or rock on the screen survived all of them
4. Reverence (Posts: 224; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
gosh............i hate this guy....y dont u simply give some1 the phone
31. sbr999 (Posts: 79; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
For science buddy. These phones are sacrificed in the name of SCIENCE!
44. rcrider4 (Posts: 118; Member since: 14 Nov 2011)
The whole point of these videos are to show potential buyers how durable the phone is. It is helpful to know this when buying a phone. He isn't doing it just to destroy it. He is helping us make a good decision as to which phone we potentially want to buy will hold up the best.
47. Reverence (Posts: 224; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
everyone wont buy a $10 case when spending 600 bugs on a phone
50. MATOZ (Posts: 71; Member since: 10 Aug 2011)
Uhm... a 600 "bugs" that you can EAT at Phillippines streets food (on the grill).
Oh... you mean BUCKS! jjejeje...
5. hung2900 (Posts: 779; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Day-by-day, more and more people are getting crazy about this beast.
7. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I was sure it will crack..and i cringed.
And now i'm definitely loving this phone to the smallest transistor, lol
8. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
never drop your phone face down. except in your sofa
9. wendygarett (unregistered)
Yeah very convincing drop test from the site called ANDROIDauthority :)
13. protozeloz (Posts: 5372; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
they showed the S3 breaks and even tested it againts an iPhone 5 and said to be impresed with the i5 Build qualiity.
you just jealous this baby has a bigger screen, more battery and amazing features while still being durable
16. wendygarett (unregistered)
I know that, I was just sarcastic Lolol
Take that Apple Lolol :D
10. Nookie4u (Posts: 127; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
Well I'll be,,, Note 2 is great! Good job Samsung, but even then, everyone should get a case when going out, just to be safe.
12. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I can't watch the video, I simply can't bring myself to watch it, can someone please tell me what happens?
27. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Thanks, I just can't watch.
Go G-Note II, GO!!!!
15. twens (Posts: 555; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Oh boy,I can't wait anymore. Please launch this beast already
17. PowTheBowl (Posts: 82; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
I guess Samsung learned it's lesson from the build quality of the SIII and made the NoteII more durable!
18. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
great. looks like samsung's normal durability is back in action. Whatever is up with the S3 is just a fluke in the design somewhere.
Not a crack at all on the screen.. I'm impressed with the device being that damn big. I wonder what's different in it to make it more durable. Good, it stays on my "plausible next purchase" list. I was scared of the drop test after the S3 fail. lol
23. Gaytor (Posts: 51; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
Coming to Bangladesh later part of October. Can't wait.
25. devildlm1 (Posts: 71; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
I never got the point of drop tests. They all are inconclusive since every drop situation is completely different...
26. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
it doesnt need to be "conclusive". Who has the money to spend to buy enough phones to do that?
The point is to give you a pretty general idea of its drop protection quality.
33. devildlm1 (Posts: 71; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
just because it survived for one person, that doesn't mean it'll survive for you. that's all i'm trying to say. there have been drop tests where an iphone 4s didnt shatter, yet there are cracked screens and backs left and right
36. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
like anything, you compare and contrast it with other tests and you can decide if its a decent built device or not. Again, in order to be "conclusive" many phones would have to be dropped. This one test is not conclusive.
Check youtube in a few weeks for dozens of drop tests and figure the rest out yourself.
It is however a great start. The i4/4s shattered almost every time. The SGS3 shattered almost every time. Most samsung phones however are very shatter resistant and it looks like the N2 might be going back to that. It barely had a scratch on it.
29. speckledapple (Posts: 878; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
It survived. That is just one more reason why I will get this device.
30. wando77 (Posts: 269; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
I think the note 2 does so well because the battery is so heavy and at the back of the phone (making it land back first all the time). The phone also flies apart which I imagine reduces any shock on the screen. My original galaxy s always did the the several times I dropped that and the screen never cracked
34. Sniggly (Posts: 6803; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Not particularly surprised. I've dropped my Note several times and its held up very well, no cracks and barely any scuffs.
35. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
Counting down the days.. We are rocking on Tmobile
37. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Tmobile rocking with the quad Exynos, HSPA+ and LTE 100... on by far the cheapest plans.
Yea, we call that the superior version. :)
38. Shino (Posts: 185; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Well, it did not hit the ground face down, though. I'm not surprised that it survived the test, it is all cheap plastic, after all. But I do not think that this can be called a phone. Even the SG3 is pathetic for a phone and this is even larger. It is like a small tablet. But it is Samsung and with Android...no thanks.
39. SleepingOz (unregistered)
You never miss the opportunity to troll, do you?
Cheap plastic again, get you facts right, buddy! It's Polycarbonate!
But then even cheap plastic does absorb shocks better than your metallic/glass iToy.
I agree that the GSIII's build quality ain't that good but Samsung sucessfully managed to not reproduce the same mistake with the GNOTE II.
Btw check this out, it's called TRUE MULTITASKING! =D
Don't get jealous though, you will get it on iOS12.
40. Shino (Posts: 185; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Troll? Multitasking? Aaaand this is good for? Grow up, kids. By the way I do not have an iphone.
41. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
you dont have an iphone yet you troll android articles all the time .............
wow then the only explanation is your a sad pathetic idiot.
ohh and you telling others to grow up is priceless, especially when you cry and rant about cheap plastic when it isnt the case
grow up yourself
43. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
he uses a cup and piece of string because he cant be trusted with a real phone
he might hurt himself
49. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
red solo cup... i fill you up.. lets have a paaaartaaaaaay!
46. bkb01 (Posts: 43; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
the fact that he doesnt know what multitasking means gave it away;)
48. x88yunkw (Posts: 59; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
The drop test is not standardise. S3 is face down that y screen scrack. However thr is no really face down drop in this video.
No standard, no quality video.
51. eyesonred (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Dec 2012)
I have had note 2 for 2 weeks dropped from one foot! Screen shattered with Samsung flip cover on ! Out lot of money!