Samsung Galaxy Note Edge hands-on
0. phoneArena 03 Sep 2014, 16:48 posted on
To the surprise of many, Samsung unveiled not one, but two new models that will reinforce the company's critically-acclaimed Note series -- the Note 4, and the far more interesting Note Edge. Quite frankly, the Edge is a Note 4 with a twist -- an additional screen on the side (or edge) of the device -- but what a twist it is!...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. CoastCity (Posts: 247; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)
But but we saw that curved thing 2 years agohttp://goo.gl/0uEEW I think they sold it in Korea only
34. sgodsell (Posts: 3323; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
I think its really 5.7", but its curved. So you only end up with 5.6" instead.
27. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
It have A CURVED SCREEN man.
47. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 724; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
On top = fail. Even Apple has moved it down now...
84. jamvin (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Sep 2014)
Ever heard of double tap to wake? How about swipe to unlock? And other features.... Apple moved it down because they don't support this. :*
21. marcofluff (Posts: 4; Member since: 05 Feb 2012)
What happens if you drop it how are u going to put a case on that. Im just naive thats all
22. AnTuTu (Posts: 1578; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Sammy just killed it with all their devices today :)
39. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 2155; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Lowered expectations? You get excited by a Note 3S, a Note 3 with a wonky edge on one side that screws up apps on both the side and the main screen, a ginormous Tizen wristband, and a VR headset for an OS that has no good games to take advantage of it (No OS really has them, BTW)?
44. E.N. (Posts: 2610; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Why not just add the extra screen space, put the icons on the side, and not bend the screen? I don't see any added functionality to the curve whatsoever. You just have yourself one ugly looking phone. Damnit, at least make the curve bilateral!
The star of the show is 50% charging in 30 minutes. This edge crap is just samsung's latest gimmick.
46. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I agree. The addition of an "edge" display doesn't really solve a problem.
One can make up problems, i.e. notifications, but any case with a preview window can provide the same limited view as an "edge". The "clock" view is interesting, but again can be solved by using a dock for the phone to make the front visible.
Overall, though, I am glad Samsung went ahead and made a phone with an "edge" display. If nothing else, it will help everyone think about vertical UI which will be beneficial for the entire Android community. This is what leadership is all about.
60. iushnt (Posts: 1558; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
As if your beloved Apple has made exceptional upgrades in every new generation..
64. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 2155; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
I've owned every generation of the Note, all of them in multiples, as we as every generation of the Galaxy S, and most of those in multiples, so don't even try to paint me with some "either or" brush.
The Note 4 is "meh," with one decent upgrade (Not Samsung's doing), and the Edge is an ergonomic nightmare that poses a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. They will both flop, and hard.
The Gear S? You might as well buy a Belkin armband and strap a smartphone to your wrist. When people see the size of the thing, they will laugh. It looks redonkulous on a man's wrist, let alone a woman's. This thing is "The Edsel of Wearable Tech."
81. Immolate (Posts: 310; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
When you have a winner like the Note 3, upgrades necessarily become more subtle as time goes by. Sometimes you have to take risks to stay ahead of the competition. That said, the Note 4 has some welcome upgrades and will sell like Cracker Jacks. The Edge will attract a segment. I'm not sure if that segment will be merely significant or seriously big, but it won't be small. I'll be picking one up from Verizon when they come out, and handing my Note 3 down to the wife. We'll see which of us is right.
76. chocolaking (Posts: 494; Member since: 22 May 2012)
way to go sammy,
make it curve!
and that's probably impossible to hold it while lying on the bed.
2. T.Law (Posts: 413; Member since: 10 May 2014)
"We've got a 4.6-inch (yes, it's smaller than the Note 4's) AMOLED display"
3. shy2papa (Posts: 298; Member since: 23 Jan 2010)
PA correction "We've got a 4.6-inch (yes, it's smaller than the Note 4's) AMOLED display with a Quad HD (1440 x 2560) resolution, good for the whopping 525 pixels per inch." 5.6 not 4.6.
68. dimas (Posts: 1960; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
And hard for gripping. Hold the right side and you'll get accidental touches.Sammy's got deep pockets investing on failed gadgets.
45. E.N. (Posts: 2610; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Do you think they'll release one in right-handed?
12. spin9 (Posts: 279; Member since: 31 May 2014)
magician, prestidigitator + yogi diploma needed
8. mistercarter (Posts: 360; Member since: 01 Sep 2011)
i just dont get the purpose of that side-screen TBH... it's very irrelevant, have you guys seen that camera interface!? it makes no freaking sense!!
i wouldnt use this phone even if somebody give it to me
im very disappointed by the whole Note 4 series, i actually had my money ready to replace my Note 3 but it's just not worth it
33. hurrycanger (Posts: 1557; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Keep the Note 3 and save your money then. xD
37. wilsong17 (unregistered)
Stfu people like you is why tech doesn't advanced p
41. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 2155; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
This advances nothing. Curved screens have been around for a year, and the Note 3S and Note Edge do nothing else to advance anything. Are you trying to be the poster child for blind fanboys?
52. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
So who is talking about small updates here????
It has quad hd display,s805 processor, and has new 16mp camera sensor with OIS, finger print sensor....not to forget software novelties like ultra power saving mode....and spen functions....
Lets see what apple's biggest update will bring to table...
55. Cicero (Posts: 858; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
Which one (brand) do you tink you like? All your comments are negative one's. Enlight us with your vision master! LOL
57. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
yes, curved and bend, these are two different screens and regarded as two different screens by display specialists, for your information... I know you are having curved screen since your childhood, well thats ok... it will wowed many if only apple will release it...
10. Blazers (Posts: 424; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Didn't all four major carriers announce that they will be carrying the Note Edge too?
14. Blazers (Posts: 424; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I have a feeling 2015 will be the year for side/curved screens, if only to get rid of all physical buttons (as well as added functionality). No more volume and power buttons.
15. Pattyface (Posts: 1523; Member since: 20 Aug 2014)
I love the idea of this edge and the geek in me wants it badly as long as pricing stays in check. This would complement my opo
16. KillgoreTroutTime (Posts: 433; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
I get it. You free up space at the bottom of your phone by moving all of that stuff to the side. The idea seems legit to me, I just don't know if this solution(edge thing) really solves a problem that many people have. I really don't care that the bottom of my phone is used up by "contacts", "phones", "messages", ect. Do others care about that?
17. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Awesome awesome awesome AWESOME AWESOME! !!!!!!!!!
18. raf37 (Posts: 7; Member since: 03 Sep 2014)
How to get an devolper edition phone and is it free
19. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
At least we know tempered glass for this baby is going to be pretty damn easy to put on lol
20. mrguy (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
People are just greedy nowadays, they want more and more. Except the fact that their trying to push the envelope instead of keeping everything the same. I guarantee back in the early 2000s this is what everyone wanted now that they get it, its a gimmick, or not useful. They actual listen to you guys, but they can't come out with it when you want they have to further their ideas and software to try and make things better as they see fit. This is just a rant on the people who won't accept the fact that in order to make things better their has to be mistakes. Thank you samsung for pushing the envelope and furthering your software
24. javy108 (Posts: 1004; Member since: 27 Jul 2014)
I like this phone, even thought I dont like Sammy too much.
25. Federated (Posts: 261; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
I want to see a drop test of the Note Edge. A drop about 20 ft falling facing the right edge on a concrete surface.
29. scsa852k (Posts: 329; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
I don't understand the point of having that thin screen on the side..
I prefer Note 4
35. remyrz (Posts: 203; Member since: 28 Oct 2010)
when you say "hands on" always waiting for a video :/
38. julian6.0 (Posts: 27; Member since: 29 Jan 2014)
Yes man Samsung is Just getting into the zone. S*h*i*t just got real.
40. fwinst (Posts: 64; Member since: 08 May 2010)
This is actually the exact phone I was waitng for. My only concern has been how they would implement the side screen without the user constantly hitting buttons while holding it. Sounds like the reviewer ran into that issue. I love the idea. I just need to see if it will work for me. If not, I like the Note 4. For those that keep complaining about bloatware, buy a different device (Nexus, iphone). Some of what you consider bloatware are the things that draw others to this phone. At any rate, most things can be turned off. As for memory, given the devices ability to add more space via microsd, I don't find it an issue (millions of others don't seem to mind either). Nice job Samsung.
48. james1 (Posts: 97; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Why are people against the edge, it's certainly different and new and its functional. You can't just oppose ideas like that, you wont see any innovation if you wanted your phone the old-fashioned way
51. JakeLee (banned) (Posts: 1021; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
I hope there to be an option for disabling the side screen since many people will simply want it.
And they will wonder : "Why did I buy an Edge in first place?"
54. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Why are you bothering about it....
You never gonna get anything without a bitten apple on it's back....
58. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
he will be running naked shouting, innovation inovation, only when apple will release a copy of Note Edge