Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs Canon EOS 5D Mark III: video comparison results will surprise you
0. phoneArena 02 May 2014, 05:28 posted on
The Galaxy Note 3 is Samsung’s top-of-the-line phablet at the moment and one of the best phablets money can buy with features like a large 5.7” 1080p display, S Pen support…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
11. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
But 4K technology is too far away, and 4K TV's are damn expensive. So, I don't see the reason to use 4K since I don't have a 4K TV and it will take a lot of space on your phone.
12. YodhaMali (Posts: 49; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
You want something, you gotta lose something. The storage space is just a small price to pay for videos with high details.
19. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
And you can always scale it to 1080p retaining most details and reducing the size.
13. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah, but I think 4K still looks a lot better than 1080p, even on 1080p screen. Though better buy a good memory card if I want to film a lot
14. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Did you see the above video it was downscaled from 4k to full hd. So it retained the details in a normal full hd video which you can watch on a smartphone, pc, tv whatever.
20. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1853; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
4K technology is still few years away from being the norm. However, like everyone said, when you compressed 4K footage down to 1080p, you'll just get amazing video quality.
31. doejon (Posts: 391; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
lol actually its quit the same full HD and 2k screen smartphone display..
4k footage from note 3 on a hd tv looks kina :-) sharper then the same footage but only in hd
38. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"But 4K technology is too far away..."
Wake up it is already here!
66. tuminatr (Posts: 726; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)
They are not that bad Sears had on for $999 in a 55" as a christmas specal they are still in some of their stores allthowe I think they now want $1299.99 for a 55"
21. Ashoaib (Posts: 2919; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Wow... note 3 out performed canon, great work samsung.... but in RAW canon is out performing note
70. DBounce (Posts: 136; Member since: 26 Apr 2014)
Can't say I saw the Canon outperform the Samsung, not even in RAW mode. Where the Canon held a edge was in resolving colors. But that alone cannot save it from the fact that overall image quality was decidedly better on the Samsung.
62. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
i was going to buy n3 but i m waiting for n4 coz its only 5 months ahead.. hope its worth waiting
3. express77 (unregistered)
Hope phones' camera reach current DSLR's level very soon.
18. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
lol won't happen. It's even against the physics xD.
72. Chrisyahya (Posts: 59; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
it can. ah yes, with photography skill too.
hope any vendors make a detachable lens in Smartphone. it would be awesome!
4. SamDroid (unregistered)
Actually, not surprised. Samsung makes great cameras.
17. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Actually, not surprised. 4 times the pixels.
42. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
four times the pixels? while downsized to 1080p. imagination works. me is love sony too. good old days. *f@rts*
47. PunyPoop (Posts: 750; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Don't mind him, you'll surely lose your mind! He comments and comments, he didn't bother to watch the video, he's a dumb k!d
51. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I know. But I can't let him be alone. Other ways he gets sad and lonely.
52. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
yes I need the sony grandpa to keep me entertained :(
55. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Exactly. Little children can't survive without wise grandparents' help.
53. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Go back to the nursing home! PS they love Nokias and Sonys there. lmaooooo
73. Chrisyahya (Posts: 59; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
how bout Nokia Lumia 1020? what you think about it?
74. SamDroid (unregistered)
That sexy beast? With the right apps it can be an amateur moviemaker's dream...
7. duartix (Posts: 221; Member since: 01 Apr 2014)
I just don't understand why someone wanting to test video quality would use an EOS 5D Mark III... Is it because it spells DSLR?
Everyone that knows more than one or two facts about DSLRs and video, knows that Canon does some heavy subsampling on the sensor.
If you want to compare 4K either you are honest about it and chose something that does 4K (read Panasonic GH4) or you compare FullHD and use a camera that does proper binning (Panasonics since the GH2 are good for that, G6, GX7, GH3, even the underestimated GM1)
Otherwise this is pointless as it's like comparing a 2MP camera to a 8MP camera.
16. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Give this guy a cookie coz this is what i was thinking.
25. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
The resolution of the Note is downsized to FHD please read, dear hater! read...
28. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
So? So? (had to write twice to get enough letters to post)
40. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
So so correct correct your your post post hater hater . .
34. AstronautJones (Posts: 290; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
The point is not that the Note 3 is better than all DSLR cameras, just SOME of them. It emphasizes the quality of the camera on a phone.
A freaking phone.
63. ph00ny (Posts: 796; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I guess you dont know much about the 5d. Full frame camera heralded as great HD cam by many experts for its auto focus capabilities. In fact last episode of house was shot entirely on 5d mark ii not iii
Also 5d mark ii was used in certain shots in iron man 2
69. SamDroid (unregistered)
But the point is.....a smartphone's camera was able to reach that level, or come considerably close to it. You don't have to red too deep into everything then come and spoil the fun for others :(
9. axislova (Posts: 6; Member since: 30 Apr 2014)
Samsung first try to fix S5 camera and its Stabilization
then after some decades try to compete against DSLR
still note 3 is a perfect ohablet but its camera cant be compared
26. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
typical hater :) yes is yes no good good samsung no good lmaooo
50. joey_sfb (Posts: 4453; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Actually, we don't need more Note 3 user. I happy with my Note 3. Let the haters buy those other pathetic brands and models.
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
OMG, I can't believe the Note 3's camera bested a DSLR camera, looks like the world is upside down now lol. No doubt the Note 3 is still a behemoth and still stacks up against the competition even to a DSLR camera.
Btw, that guy sounds disappointed to the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, how about giving one to me? I need one of those. ;)
15. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I think the Canon still had a lot better colours and especially dynamic range. Of course Note 3 looks sharper. After all it's 4K :)
27. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
It's recorded in FHD NOT 4K. are you bli!ind?
29. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
...... Fu**!ng idiot.... Don't make a fool out of yourself (well you already have). It's recorded in 4K and then downsized to 1080p..
41. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
lmaoooooo it's still 1080p. no wonder you buy sony :|. Grandpa adores your comments and your style + he loves sony fm radios too. good good quality. bad bad samsung. sony is rising sonyyy is risiiinngg sonyyy is risiiiiiing *f@rts*.
44. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Are you really such stupid so XD very lmao many lol......??
You really don't know what the difference is between native 1080p and 1080p downscaled from 4K?
I mean just in the name of spaghetti..........
60. NachoKingP (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 May 2014)
You have no idea what you're talking about. something recorded in 1080p won't have the same detail as something recorded in 4K and downsized to 1080p because there is more detail to begin with. It may be the same number of pixels, but there's a lot less fuzziness when brought in tight.
22. saffant (Posts: 260; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
You post twice on the same article? Strange.
30. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
How is it strange? This is my 8th post on this article :D.
43. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
This is not strange :D haters and trolls search for samsung articles :D then post 8 and 10 times :D no one cares :D go back to F@artmestan they llllooove sony there :D
49. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I know you're just provoking me. And I know you're enjoying it. And I know your life sucks. I know that you suck. I know you're trying to make other peoples lives suck just like yours does.
58. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
yes life is hard for me :( unfair :( no love :( lmaooooooooooooo. this, truly made my day..
59. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
You're just trying to tell me how happy you get from my sayings. In reality your suffering under your bed trying to reach your mama. Narcissist. We don't need you in this world.
36. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
How is it strange? You must be new to the internet then. Welcome to the internet!