Samsung Galaxy Note 3 supports USB 3.0: here's the benefit
0. phoneArena 28 Oct 2013, 05:02 posted on
So, how do you move stuff between your phone and your computer, or vice versa? While there's more than one way of transferring content between these devices wirelessly, a significant fraction of users still rely on a cable and the old, trusty USB standard to handle the task. After all, the process is quick, easy, and does not rely on a Wi-Fi or a cellular network in order to work. But with the pace at which technology is evolving, the day when USB 2.0 just won't be fast enough is closer than ever. Thankfully, the speedier USB 3.0 is already a fact and it is now making its way into smartphone territory. Samsung was the first to announce and launch a USB 3.0 capable smartphone, namely the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. hung2900 (Posts: 817; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
I was surprise that Samsung didn't say anything abt this great feature
11. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Because it have too many features... :)
24. joey_sfb (Posts: 3132; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Tim Cook will put a slide on stage and say its the first to offer 10x the transfer speed for media files and the only phone in the world that offers such speed. This unique feature would cut down your waiting time by half so you can have more time doing the important tasks and less time waiting.
Apple is the marketing guru which everyone should learn from.
27. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
You forgot about drama in front of white background. :D
38. bachir8k (Posts: 101; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
and Jony Eve with tears in his eyes in the background
2. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
and this Note 3 really feels and look so premium
5. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
and so sad it is even lighter than Lumia 1520 a.k.a Brick or in simple.words JOKE :D
7. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1633; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
don't bother he is a die hard apple fan you can't talk sense to him!!
13. papss (unregistered)
What does a lumia have to do with this thread? Troll much?
19. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
LOL, that brick you are drooling your face to move to android. Ooops just saying, don't get mad. :)
29. sam_tek (Posts: 89; Member since: 18 Feb 2011)
These are what the forums are all about people! (especially phonearena)
Apple Fanboy takes a jab at a Samsung device.
Samsung fanboy takes a jab at Nokia trying to defend Samsung.
Nokia fanboy hits back at Android user!
Btw, you guys all suck! My Blackberry Q10 rules! /jk
(Disclaimer: Fanboy remarks above are a generalization
37. Doakie (Posts: 1305; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Actually I'm REALLY loving my new Note 3... So far my opinion is that it might actually be the best phone I've ever used and I've used a lot of phones.
4. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
i cant remember the last time i did anything with my phone connected to my PC. These days with cloud storage and the fact Google+ backs up all my photos,videos, contacts and music, there's really no need plug your phone into a PC for any reason other than rooting
16. nobelset (Posts: 270; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
The other billions of people in the world disagrees with you.
48. reckless562 (Posts: 985; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
sure, trust google with all of ur info on their servers. u know if they wanted to erase someone off the planet, they could easly do so kuz storing ALL ur photos n stuff on Google n Facebook means privacy is dead. i try to keep a minimal footprint online but evin IM pfhcuked , as the lure of makeing my life "easier" has suckered me in to surenduring uneraseable footprints of my existance.
so yea, good luck with all that :)
6. mr.techdude (Posts: 555; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
U didn't even mention another benifit which is faster charging times. That a big + for me.
8. Nick_T (Posts: 146; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Actually your phone does not need USB 3.0 support in order to charge faster when connected to a USB 3.0 port. It is the port itself supplying the extra current, not the phone sucking it. Any phone charges faster on USB 3.0.
12. mr.techdude (Posts: 555; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Thx Nick_T, I just heard that it charges faster.
9. cezarepc (Posts: 586; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Yep nothing to do with the phone. It's the USB 3.0 technology that raises the current per load (compared to 2.0) by 150mA, which is 50 percent more per load. Combining the six loads of USB 3.0 and its higher 150mA current per load nets you 900 mA for power supply. Also, the current can be spread among multiple loads with USB 3.0, so more devices can be charged at the same time (again, compared to 2.0).
21. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
USB 3.0 is only faster data transfer rate. Nothing to do with charging times.
36. almostdone (Posts: 130; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
USB 3.0 doesn't charge faster than a war charger because they usually have a higher output of at least 1000mA (1 amp) and you commonly see up to 2000mA (2 amp).
BUT if you're charging say from a computer via USB then USB 2.0 is extremely slow as it only provides a theorectival max of 500mA where as USB 3.0 up to 900mA so via USB mode then it charges nearly twice as fast but still slower than a wall charger in most cases.
10. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Airdroid. Nuff said. :)
33. av911 (Posts: 150; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
That depends on how fast/great your wireless connection (speed) is.
15. exor430 (Posts: 7; Member since: 17 Sep 2012)
I have one question.
"For the speed test above, our Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was connected over a USB 3.0 port to a desktop PC running Windows 7. Files were read from and written onto a 120GB Samsung 840 SSD."
My question is, how about transferring files from microSD (in Note 3) to traditional HDD (windows) via USB 3.0 and vice versa? Does it bottleneck to MicroSD speed (4 or 10 Mbps depending on class)?
17. xfire99 (Posts: 565; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
err...What wrong with USB 3.0 will only enable íf USB 3.0 cable are plugged in? U wont get USB 3.0 speed if plugg in USB 2.0 cable anyway and how can this be a downside? Of course u need a USB 3.0 cable if want USB 3.0 speed.
20. Hallucinator (Posts: 344; Member since: 24 May 2010)
I just picked up the Note 3 on Friday. I loved the Note2, but in my opinion the note 3 is in a league of its own. USB 3 is just one of MANY great features. No I'm not a fanboy, as I also enjoy Apple products. I had to choose between the 5s and the Note3. Well, not really a choice.
25. joey_sfb (Posts: 3132; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
"I just picked up the Note 3....note 3 is in a league of its own..... i had to choose between the 5s and the Note3. Well, not really a choice."
LOL!!! You very funny!
26. joey_sfb (Posts: 3132; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Feel like you just catapulted a giant boulder into the mindless hordes! LOL!
28. Hallucinator (Posts: 344; Member since: 24 May 2010)
Why, because you don't like it? I said "in my opinion". You have every right not to like something, but if you bash other people for liking it then you are pathetic.
34. Hallucinator (Posts: 344; Member since: 24 May 2010)
Well then I'm a d-bag and unable to comprehend sentences. Hopefully this is my dumbest moment of the day.
49. joey_sfb (Posts: 3132; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Its ok, let amuse ourselves and take nothing to heart.
23. twens (Posts: 697; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
IPhonearena will always find ways of making every nice and practical features of samsung phones appear normal or to some extend useless to their readers. What at all do you people have against Samsung? They are just a company marketing and selling the best of their techs to the world. You guys should appreciate it when they do something nice and praise them. Don't make it sound like it is nothing. Unlike Apple, the iPhone can't even be used as a storage device yet you guys never criticize apple for that. Not everyone buys phones for only opening and downloading Apps. Some of us want phones that replaces a lot of gadgets we carry in our day to day activities.
55. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Why did you bring up Apple? It literally had nothing to do with this article whatsoever.
31. McLTE (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
LOL.. did we really need an article to tell us that the benefit of USB3 is faster data transfer times. Must be a slow news day for PA.. or do the writers get paid per article, regardless of content??
50. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 659; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
They wanted to criticize by putting a "Downside" of this technology. So they created an article.
32. livyatan (Posts: 732; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Also to Note, (pun intended ), is the flawless USB OTG functionality.
I use fast USB sticks to store and access files with my Note 3.
It does it fast, and just like any windows pc would.
With two 32Gb sticks, I don't need a pc at all.
39. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1008; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
you make a valid point, but you still need a PC..............sometimes lol
40. andynaija (Posts: 485; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
On the charger I can recognize the micro USB connector, but then what does the smaller one on the left side do/what is it for?
41. denmcdon (Posts: 88; Member since: 07 Jun 2009)
On the Verizon wireless website it says the LGG2 supports usb 3.0 can someone shed some light on this for me?
43. galanoth (Posts: 337; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
The LG G2 uses a standard Micro USB 2.0 port for charging and syncing.
44. denmcdon (Posts: 88; Member since: 07 Jun 2009)
Why does the VW website state it has usb 3.0?
51. denmcdon (Posts: 88; Member since: 07 Jun 2009)
No emailed lg they confirmed usb3.0 the transfer rate on this phone is sick!
42. denmcdon (Posts: 88; Member since: 07 Jun 2009)
On the Verizon wireless website it says the LGG2 supports usb 3.0 can someone shed some light on this for me?
46. donphone (Posts: 55; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
I don't always charge via USB port, but when I do, I prefer 3.0 (or even better AC). Stay charged my friends ;)
52. Nitrax (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Does the 3.0 USB make it so the phone gets charged faster? Because I saw a video on a review on the Note 3 on PhoneArena, saying it chargers faster but I did not read that on this specific write up.
53. theaztech (unregistered)
Well i got my note 3 on launch day and was surprised by the sub 3.0, also some people dont know that its compatible with usb 2.0. (my brother bought a whole new car charger just for this, when i told him about it he was like waahhh). Also, i tent do get the latest and greatest, and i was ready to get the nexus 5 but honestly, i cant see myself ever going to a smaller phone screen. Holding my old s4 and nexus 4 they just seem so small.
54. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
"it may sometimes interfere with calls or data when it is in use", as a notification message informed us when we tried to turn the mode on. This, hopefully, will not be an issue observed on future USB 3.0-enabled handsets.
Thats just sad. Samsung. Please ship completed, bug free hardware and software. Its not too much to ask from a $800 device.
56. aap814 (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Dec 2013)
yeah like no other oem does that anyone remember siri?
59. aicragleon (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
USB 3.0 is an excellent feature. I have had no issues with it whatsoever.