Samsung Galaxy Note 3 fingerprint sensor hinted from a list of leaked APKs
Prolific tipster @evleaks has tweeted a full list of the APK files that are allegedly contained within the software that is set to come running on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Battling on through the truly dizzying amount of apps that come pre-installed on Sammy's TouchWiz spin on Android, we come across a most interesting, albeit mystifying FingerprintService.apk that once again opens the door on a world of possibilities. Keep in mind, however, that the latest leaks have been consistently suggesting that a fingerprint scanner will fail to make a showing once the Galaxy Note 3 is released. So while unlikely that we'll get to play with this, this could be a clear indication that the South Korean behemoth is gearing up for the next push.
Fingerprint sensors surely aren't something breathtakingly new – some smartphones, like the Motorola ATRIX 4G, have had one as far back as 2011. Chief among the reasons for the quick discontinuation of the tech, however, has mainly had to do with the poor longevity of the CMOS-based sensors found in most such devices. What's more, quality, long-lasting scanners have been cited as both expensive and bulky, a cost most manufacturer would rather forgo, especially since it doesn't feed enough value back.
This trend now seems to be reversing, as Apple is said to be rushing to market the next generation of fingerprint scanners, relying on a sapphire glass cover to provide shelter from the many swipes these sensors will be forced to live through.
So why the change of heart? Naturally, this is only a guess (a common one, at that), but it does seem likely that it has a lot to do with the extremely hot topic of security, especially now that our smartphones are carrying more sensitive information than ever before. Moreover, with the big players wanting a fat piece of the lucrative eCommerce market of apps/books/movies sales, along with the push that promises to turn mobile payments into commonplace, it certainly makes a lot of business sense to that fingerprint scanners have entered the daily agenda.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 APK leak
1. Caocao (Posts: 11; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
That awkward moment when Samsung releases the finger-print enabled beast before Apple releases theirs.
Sue that, son..
4. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3989; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
lol That is funny.
I just can't wait anymore. I REALLY just want to see the Samsung Galaxy Note III in all its glory.
So far I like the look of this leak best. Let's hope this is what they release. I want to see the white one also.
31. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1002; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
I totally agree. Once the Note 3 has been revealed, IM going to count down the days until I trade in my S3 at Best Buy to upgrade to the Note 3 in december. I agree with you when you said that "see the Samsung Galaxy Note III in all its glory." The good thing about being in the US is that we may get to see it as soon as 9am tomorrow since its in Berlin
Id assume that its going to be another $300 on-contract phone for AT&T, Verizon, Tmobile, and Sprint
39. MobileCaseReview (Posts: 241; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
The T6 has been gauging my interest. Don't you have a DNA right now?
40. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3989; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yes I have the HTC Droid DNA. Love that phone. Mine is rooted & running stock Android 4.3. I just want to see all the phones so I can make my choice.
My 3 that I am looking at are the Sony Xperia Z1, The HTC One Max, & the Samsung Galaxy Note III.
42. MobileCaseReview (Posts: 241; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Yeah same here. I've had both notes 1 and 2. I think I'm going to make my way toward the HTC Max or Z1. I'm also excited about the new Nexus 5. I'm hoping it's screen size is based on the G2. a 5 inch nexus....droooools*****.
14. McLTE (Posts: 689; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
i didn't think the finger print scanner was necessary for the iPhone and I don't' for the Note. Seems more like a gimick than anything else.
25. Rorschach (Posts: 37; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
The Motorola Atrix was one of the first devices to have this and it didn't make much of difference in it's sales. Another gimmick in my opinion.
23. ianbbaa (Posts: 196; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
ANT+ enabled!!!!!! Holy s**t SAMSUNG is going to add ANT+ conectivity - next to Btooth4 LE, you can guys use it with your GARMIN sporty things!!!
there is ANTPlusPlugins.apk and AntRadioService.apk
I personally ditched SONY for STOP suporting ANT+ from 2011 devices, and now noone asked for it and there it is!!! Samsung will probably make this happen. Pitty that not in S4...another reason to go back to NOTE.
2. Tazer2365 (Posts: 44; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
I see Samsung is trying to pull the trigger before Apple does on fingerprint scanner. I have a feeling Apple will succeed more than Samsung.
9. rallyguy (Posts: 541; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
A feeling that is based on nothing? Based on iOS6 you can't say "it just works".
33. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Both are going to sell a ton of phones, regardless of a fingerprint scanner or not.
3. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2599; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Sammy is bringing almost everything to the beast. Let's see just a day to go.
5. amiaq (Posts: 450; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Perhaps Samsung just put it there so Apple could not patent "finger" or "print" or some crap like that. Stupid Apple.
21. Ninetysix (Posts: 1574; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Maybe because Apple already owns these said patents when they acquired AuthenTec?
6. Haridenberg (Posts: 27; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
30. _Bone_ (Posts: 2124; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Nah, it's not making into the final device. Sammy's leaving all kinds of stuff in their final SW indicating what was tested in prototype state, happened before with other tech.
8. power_x (Posts: 222; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Everybody is putting a fingerprint scanner
HTC One Max
and now the Note 3 ???
10. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6399; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Next thing we here they will copy your finger prints send info to the NSA. I enjoy it on My Atrix 4g. WishmMotorola could of purchase the company before apple did. Next thing we hear Apple say we innovate the finger sensor n their fans go wild for it which already been done.
28. abdane (Posts: 475; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
one does not simply port finger scanner to another phone -_-
12. bparkerson (unregistered)
Fingerprint scanner would be nice, yes. But what I'm a little disappointed in not seeing is an IR Blaster APK. Am I missing something or does it look like we may not see this feature on the Note 3. I would have thought it be a given due to the S4 and Note 8 having an IR Blaster.
16. McLTE (Posts: 689; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I agree.. I would MUCH rather have an IR blaster than a finger print scanner.
20. ianbbaa (Posts: 196; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
PEEL.apk is there....this app handles IR blaster.
36. bparkerson (unregistered)
That's what I was hoping to hear from someone that knew! Thanks ianbba! You made my day!!!
13. bootroot (Posts: 35; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Holly sh*t !
GREAT news if it has fingerprint!
Note 3 seems to be the (my) perfect new best!
@bparkerson : Ir blaster need to be there cause all new android have this
15. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Gee Samsung isn't copying apple at all.
17. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3989; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yeah Samsung went to the future & saw Apple's finger scanner & said that "this is the NEXT big thing", so they are putting it on the new Samsung Galaxy Note III to STEAL Apple's thunder.
19. MartyK (Posts: 711; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Don't forget, they stole the Itransporter to go into the future, took a look at Apple finger scanner, and zip right back to install it on the Note-3...and place the itransporter back in it orignal place, so no one would know they stole it too.....hahahaha
32. tedkord (Posts: 4701; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Samsung went into the future and saw Apple copying Motorola from the past.
27. tedkord (Posts: 4701; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Gee, Apple isn't copying Motorola at all.
34. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Glad you're finally seeing the light, sad it took you so long.
22. Kal-el (Posts: 91; Member since: 14 Dec 2012)
maybe they realized that motorola atrix is the phone to copy
24. felisberto (Posts: 32; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
Apple should sue Samsung copying fingerprint technology.
37. tedkord (Posts: 4701; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Then they could hand whatever they win over to Motorola, since Apple copied the fingerprint scanner idea from them.
26. proto (Posts: 50; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
i ask myself...is fingerprint scanner usefull or it is just another "good to have" gimmick? I really don't know why, but everyone want to be first in something but sometimes is better to improve what we already have and not to bring gimmick. Only Motorola with it's touchless control broutgh something new and realy usefull. Sammy.. i have your GS4 but plz next time.. bring something usefull to table..bcs i think after GS Note you forgot what we realy use,
38. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is not Apple's fault that Motorolal put it on a the Atrix... I have yet met anyone that had owned an Atrix.. now is time for Apple todo what Motto failed to do
43. tedkord (Posts: 4701; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Now it is time for Apple to copy what Motorola did.
44. SonyCraperiaSucks (banned) (Posts: 25; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
The Beast is coming soooooon!!!