Samsung Galaxy Note 3 enters the phablet ring: 5.7" AMOLED display and new S Pen
0. phoneArena 04 Sep 2013, 12:16 posted on
Tears of joy are running down the cheeks of phablet fans worldwide today, as the third edition of the phone that created the category was just announced by Samsung at the IFA expo today. It is dubbed Galaxy Note 3, and will throw its weight into quite the different phablet environment than what it was used to the last two years. Against the formidable competition of gigantic phones like the Sony Xperia Z Ultra the Note 3 wields a new S-Pen stylus with increased functionality, a 5.7" Full HD Super AMOLED display - a feast in its own - as well as all the flagship bells and whistles we'd expect this season, and even more...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
100. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
+1 this looks much better than the z1 with large bezels screaming..
Z1 and note3 might be sharing the same size haha.. anyway z1 GLens is the truth maybe ;)
102. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5802; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
And the Note III will be available on VZW. When will Sony learn not to do carrier exclusives? :-(
109. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8306; Member since: 14 May 2012)
They won't. I'm pretty sure the Z1 will be on T-Mobile since the XZ is being offered atm, but only time will tell.
91. fabbriche (Posts: 12; Member since: 27 Jul 2013)
Looks better than Sony? You have a bad taste. Sony Xperia Z1 is the best industrial design after the iPhone and Nokia Lumia. Samsung's design is just plain tacky.
97. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8306; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Also, don't make yourself look like a jerk by telling someone their opinion is wrong.
Since you want to talk about design, the Z1 is boring as hell. Nothing nice or special about it. Mad?
105. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Sharp edges with large bezel screaming a huge body?? Oh cmon; htc one has the title for me, Sony Er. Xperia Arc S is still my desire
148. iushnt (Posts: 655; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
best design? 5" and still similar size of 5.7"of note 3. how is sony the best industrial design with this?
162. PAPINYC (Posts: 2289; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Question (you/it asks): What will Apple unveil next week?
Answer: A new version of iTunes and a new Anti-death charger. Oh, and a new candy called iSkittles.
13. Zakriya (Posts: 11; Member since: 05 Aug 2013)
lol nothing new except resolution and processor.
Combination of sgs2 and original note.
Anyway Good phone But SONY XPERIA Z1 Kills it And The Z Ultra also.(Personal opinion)
Anyway This is also a Good phone.
18. tedkord (Posts: 4820; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
New resolution means its still more changed than the iPhone 5s will be from the iPhone 5.
22. Ninetysix (Posts: 1615; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Can't really keep people from bringing up Apple on any non Apple article. They set the bar on everything :)
23. Commentator (Posts: 2425; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
So because it changed a bit more than the iPhone did is suddenly cause for celebration?
36. tedkord (Posts: 4820; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Not cause for celebration or disappointment. Just pointing out to a troll who was intimating that it was similar to last year's model that it was less so than the iPhone.
24. McLTE (Posts: 700; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Nope, nothing new at all..
- not more memory
- not a redesigned stylus
We don't know if it has a dual LED flash.
We don't know if the camera sensor has changes besides resolution
We don't know the software tweaks
129. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4023; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
There is more memory, the Galaxy Note 3 starts at 32 GB and not 16 like the Note II. The stylus is slightly redesigned, it looks more cylindrical near the top of it unlike previous Notes where the top curved with the plastic.
There is no dual LED flash
The camera is the same from the Galaxy S4, which is a great improvement
Most new software has to do with the S-Pen.
46. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8306; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Said no one ever. Note 3 better than the Z1 and ZU all around besides the camera of course.
14. ajac09 (Posts: 1367; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
it reminds me a short and fat girl dont like the design at all
106. lalalaman (Posts: 357; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Man tht is s2 kinda design which still very much like by consumers....I think u r nt liking it because of look of leather bt leather is knwn for being premium....note 3 is surely targeting business class
16. pwnarena (Posts: 906; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
samsung has nice product presentation concepts but poor execution. they have really good scriptwriters but the speakers they bring on stage are unreliable. you feel worried for them as they speak. still, really a grander presentation compared to sony's.
you know samsung really has a lot of fans with the occasional rounds of applause there.
17. stealthd (Posts: 967; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Yay, more flimsy covers they'll charge $40-60 for
20. emadshiny (Posts: 1131; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Everything looks great instead of the way camera is designed.
It made the beautiful back look ugly :((
21. theruleslawyer (Posts: 108; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Looks like their presenter is wearing swim goggles.
27. androiphone20 (Posts: 1451; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
*xwawns* okay back in line for the iphone
29. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Up your game sammy, Sony is right there ready to bite!
30. lifeyourlive (Posts: 126; Member since: 23 Aug 2013)
so boooooooring... this isn't even generation progress... i'm keeping my note2, the only way samsung could talk me into buying note3 is if they make note3 google edition... otherwise not a chance
38. McLTE (Posts: 700; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
if this isn't generation progress as you call it, what is???
Did you eve read the article with the changs???
31. PunyPoop (Posts: 718; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Galaxy GEAR?? Same as SONY's Smartwatch, but ugly design!
49. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8306; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Ugly? Wtf? It looks great, especially with the stainless steel. Trolls these days...
150. iushnt (Posts: 655; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
how same, sony smart watch doesn't even have microphone(s) and speaker?
33. newbey123 (Posts: 413; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Not bad, but not good. Time for HTC to drop the beast with the OneMax.
35. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5599; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
oh yeah, i'm actually liking this. i wouldn't get it but i'll steer my dad in it's direction as an upgrade to his Note II. o:
119. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4023; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I'm just glad they finally got rid of the glossy plastic. The leather looks really good. I still wouldn't buy it because of the sheer size, but maybe the Galaxy S5 will be a more compelling option. Or probably the GS5 mini would be best for me by then, after getting the Droid Mini I'm sure my size preferences will change.
141. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5599; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it really does. kudos to Samsung for the subtle design changes.
me neither but yes, this does raise hope in my eyes for Samsung as well. liking your Droid Mini?
142. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4023; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I just hope they'll make Touchwiz a little bit lighter, then it would be near perfect, in my opinion. Touchwiz is just a little bit too cartoon-ish and heavily customized for my liking. Otherwise, Samsung is making some very nice advancements.
The Mini is pretty nice, certainly speedy. I would have picked the Ultra over the Mini because AMOLED plays nicer with Active Notifications, but I would rather have a more dense LCD display than a sub-300 ppi AMOLED, regardless of saving battery. Some people don't like the Droid series because the style is getting kind of old, but this is my first actual "Droid" device, so it's new to me :) I would have liked it more had Motorola used matte Kevlar instead of covering it with a gloss. But, I finally get service outside of town where I live now!
163. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5599; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, true that. i hope they make a minimal evolution like HTC did with Sense. Sense went from a UI i really disliked to a reason to buy a HTC for me.
i'm happy for you. the Mini is a nice phone for sure but it seems to me like the Moto X would've fit your bill a little better. o:
164. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4023; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
If HTC can turn Sense into a minimal, optimized, and useful skin, so can Samsung.
I was actually leaning heavily towards the Moto X, but since it wasn't going to be customized on Verizon until November, I decided to get the Mini. They're pretty much similar when it comes to software, but the Mini has Droid Zap and the Control Center widget, so it came down to a hardware decision, and I would rather have the Mini design wise than a plain white or black Moto X.
I don't really care about the screen size as long as it's above 4" and under 5". What's really difficult though is using a case for the Mini, the bezels are so small the case comes around and covers them up completely, so swiping from the edge is hard to do like to get to the lock screen widgets. I might just keep it naked because it's become a nuisance.
165. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5599; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
ah, gotcha, yeah, if you couldn't wait and wanted more Motorola features then the Mini was certainly the one for you.
yeah, same. haha, that's crazy. bezels can in fact be too small at times. i've never had that problem on my M though. i've got the Incipio Feather and Dual Pro cases for it. how's the battery life?
166. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4023; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Well Incipio typically does a good job of keeping the face of the phone open, I have an Otterbox Commuter for it, which really covers the bezels.
I can't really comment on battery life, I've only had the Mini for a few days, and all of those days I've been at school, so that's about 7 hours of me not using my phone except for checking the time. Ask me again after this weekend when I'll be using my phone regularly again and I can give a more accurate answer.
37. theruleslawyer (Posts: 108; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Still kept the buttons, and having to deal with touchwiz again.... I don't know. Only good point is the ram really. Otherwise, lots of comparable phones coming out.
39. McLTE (Posts: 700; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
We asked for them to ditch the glossy finish and... well... we got stitched leather! LOL
Unexpected for sure! will be interesting to see what the phone feels like in person.
I know I'll be getting mine in January!
40. hellonerds (Posts: 237; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
I like it :) will be rooting it :) my gs3 needs to retire
51. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8306; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'll definitely miss my S3 when I sell it. It's the best phone I've ever had. Note 3 with 3GB of RAM... 3GB!
42. HouTexan (Posts: 313; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
Lol @ all the fanboys of other OEM's trying to talk down on this BEAST. This phone is BEASTLY.
43. xtian1103 (Posts: 358; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
i've read in one hands-on review that the case is made out of leather like substance. i don't know if it's still plastic, metal or kevlar?
45. selena1000 (Posts: 83; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I believe Apple is gonna outpace Samsung this year with more important and bigger announcements and updates
55. McLTE (Posts: 700; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Now THAT is funny.
The iPhone 5s will be a bigger announcement with a bigger "upgrade"?
151. iushnt (Posts: 655; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
without steve, no way!! They will announce good products but its not gonna outpace Samsung
47. yasir-921 (Posts: 79; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
What's the benefit of UHD Video Recording?
FHD occupies approx a 100MB for a minute of length while UHD will occupy approx 400MB for same length.
Since UHD TVs are not common yet, how difference between the two resolutions will be identified? Or may be, it will be, when consumers will actually shoot a UHD Video themselves? But for viewing on an FHD resolution phone, how FHD vs UHD will be differentiated?
152. iushnt (Posts: 655; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
those who have UHD TVs will be attracted to this phone. But when viewing on FHD resolution display, UHD vs FHD cannot be differentiatied. But having this feature to record UHD is great.
48. affandi (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
So Samsung got tired of the plastic accusations and put's a leather backcase instead.. hmmm
50. PunyPoop (Posts: 718; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Leather than can be scraped off because of poor quality..