Samsung Galaxy Note 3 enters the phablet ring: 5.7" AMOLED display and new S Pen
0. phoneArena 04 Sep 2013, 12:16 posted on
Tears of joy are running down the cheeks of phablet fans worldwide today, as the third edition of the phone that created the category was just announced by Samsung at the IFA expo today. It is dubbed Galaxy Note 3, and will throw its weight into quite the different phablet environment than what it was used to the last two years. Against the formidable competition of gigantic phones like the Sony Xperia Z Ultra the Note 3 wields a new S-Pen stylus with increased functionality, a 5.7" Full HD Super AMOLED display - a feast in its own - as well as all the flagship bells and whistles we'd expect this season, and even more...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Ninetysix (Posts: 1924; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Still watching the live stream
63. htc_evo_3d (Posts: 84; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
I was saving my money for past 5 months for this beauty monster. Samsung did not disappoint me :)
113. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2026; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
I gotta admit, thats a nice phone... :-) wanted a 6" screen.. but still good.. i know have 2 phablet option
73. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1150; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
But where is rumoured OIS & finger print scanner
well its just a rumour...
101. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I agree and we just got an Apple-type upgrade, so much for those 6.3 inches I was hoping for.
107. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9846; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Already done. It's called the Galaxy Mega.
25. daniel_bargs (Posts: 325; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
The features of Note 3 are all to be expected: faster processor, more megapixels, larger screen, higher resolution and nothing more. Xperia Z1 has removable, wireless lens which is groundbreaking!
26. Commentator (Posts: 2909; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Which can also be used with the Note 3.
61. AnTuTu (Posts: 1347; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
In every damn way just look at the beast gorgeous Sammy u jus nailed it with Note 3 n Gear m sold :)
62. PunyPoop (Posts: 750; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
It got into your nerves Smurf LOL, Seriously, Phablet and phone? CRAPMANSHIP of leather? hmmm
72. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9846; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Seems to me you're feeding PA money by refreshing the page every minute.
P.S. No one cares about you. Have a nice day.
81. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
yep you are right...just like "sammy" cares about u..:)
94. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9846; Member since: 14 May 2012)
They obviously do since they sent me a $10 Google Play card in the mail. Problem?
121. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Was that $10 voucher send as a payment for all your hard work on promoting their stuff on forums ?! Yr not a student by any chance are u ?!
U sure are active today..who knows..they might give u $2 more next month..
104. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Yep, I concur, i didn't know Sony even had a phone unveiling today considering it was practically another snoozefest and ANOTHER goddamn Xperia hyped to death by a vocal yet irrelevant minority.
124. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Yep...nothing compares to the majority of brainwashed plasticboys..u are right in some way..
128. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Nope, u are the brainwashed one my friend. Following the herd that is the sony crowd, u think it's cool to bash the best but everyone knows that the Sony phone, no matter how good it is, will be completely forgotten without a legacy. Take that POS glass crap or whatever, you can keep it. Sony what? Even the BBC didn't acknowledge the Sony crap on their front page news and the most read headline was Samsung, Sony nowhere to be seen.
130. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9846; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You literally took the words out of my mouth.
134. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Right and u figured I root for Sony from exactly what ?! Does the fact that I do not like samsungs designs or their 'premium materials' makes me a Sony fanboy ?! Can't see the logic..but then again...I don't expect a lot.
P.s. smurf..I'll give u $10 more...now have a well deserved rest...sammy is proud of yr performance.
140. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Yep, and in your case just because I also came to the defence of Samsung also, I immediately like plastic. Again, I can't see the logic in that too, but whatever, whether you like LG/Apple/HTC/Nokia/Motorola, no doubt we will agree to disagree.
15. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7035; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Now they make a pink one just for the ladies out their.
111. laheelahee (Posts: 213; Member since: 09 Apr 2012)
finally!! they're releasing the colors at the same time!!
145. iushnt (Posts: 960; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
u r like the photobomb in this comment section. So butthurt..i have been noticing your comments,,
32. lifeyourlive (Posts: 126; Member since: 23 Aug 2013)
what beast? what is so good about new note? it has only higher numbers... no real progress in realtime experience, you can only boost you ego that you have the highest specs in the world (well now not even that :D)
146. iushnt (Posts: 960; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
its a beast. its the size of z1. it has much more reputated brand popularity. note series reflects premiumness. z1 will be unknown to half of the world but still its a great phone but too huge phone for 5". If you love some other device then you can call it a beast as well. It depends on your preference not on a butthurt arrogance of yours.
3. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4681; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Ok this phone looks VERY nice. The phone is VERY clean. I like it a lot. Good for you Samsung.
19. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1017; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
I was waiting for your response lol. I really like this phone.............more than when the Note 2 came out. The design was something we'd figure it would be, but the internal specs that we've heard so far are great. I cant wait to upgrade to this phone. Im glad i skipped on the Note 2 for the Note 3
28. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4681; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I like the leather on it. Also the metal around the phone. Finally it looks very high end.
34. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1017; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
Cant argue with you on that. Im very impressed with the Note 3 and cant wait for the phone to come to AT&T in the fall
57. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
why does it look nice ?
1. design boring
2. they keep going with that fake metal look alike band - SCREAMS CHEAP
3. the leather...it's ok but...how will it last in time and the stitches...not so much..
p.s. the s pen features...i know 2 people two have note 2...AND THEY NEVER use the bloody pen..
92. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
What phone do you want?
Dude this article belong to the people waiting the gnote3.
93. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4681; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
What do you mean CHEAP? The metal on the actual presentation looked VERY shiny & clean. Fake metal my a$$. That sounds more like hate than an actual reasonable complaint. Also the leather looks GREAT. Makes is look very stylish, no more CHEAP looking polycarbonate.
The Black phone looks VERY high end. Like those old Black Berries that had the leather on them. Very FANCY, business like. Very professional looking, a FAR CRY from you cheap assessment. My black leather on my Tag Heuer Grand Carrera looks GREAT & the same black leather on my new Samsung Galaxy Note III will look GREAT also. I take care of my devices & I promise my leather on my Samsung Galaxy Note III will be just fine.
I am responsible, I take good care of my stuff.
I don't care about the S-Pen. At least I will have the bloody pen to use if I ever want to. lol
117. AnTuTu (Posts: 1347; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Comment of the day +1 :)
Your scored on my benchmark around 35000 :p
125. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4681; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Man I love you comment too. Definitely put a smile on my face. lol
Thanks & by the way I just ran AnTuTu on my rooted HTC Droid DNA running at 1.7GHz. Got over 22000. So I am very flattered by the 35000 you gave me.
Now when we get our Samsung Galaxy Note III's we all will get over 35000.
127. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Hey calm down ! Seriously nothing against yr choice...by any means.
P.s. it is a fake metal look alike cheap band..before u go all crazy check some hands on videos buddy.
Ohhh and don't compare the cool and original design of those old BlackBerrys with this stitches...even u most see the difference.
131. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9846; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You're a second account afraid to post on your real account with those trolling skills of yours.
Samsung seems to achieve their #1 goal if they got people like you hating on them. :)
133. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4681; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Ok... I was always calm but you are spewing more hate than facts. I saw the whole presentation, NEVER did I get the feeling that Samsung Galaxy Note III is cheap.
I felt the contrary. I got the feeling of high-end & the first thing I thought of was those old Black Berries with the sweet leather on them. High-class.
Man those Black Berries were good phones at the time. Now they seem like child's play compared to the Epic Samsung Galaxy Note III. lol
136. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Yes I agree those BlackBerrys were class. If only they would have kept it that way. U seem like a decent guy who has an opinion just as me mate. To be honest the leather is a step forward from the hideous shiny plastic...however if they would somehow avoid the stitches and somehow incorporate that leather into a REAL metal band...who knows..as for design I now there isn't a lot to say these days... It is a slab after all...but then again that's what I was saying before the htc one...and so on..
147. iushnt (Posts: 960; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
1. design of z1 is more boring..that bezel
2. It doesnt matter if its fake metal because its engineering is so good that it is lighter than z1 and has the same size of z1.
3. If the leather gets spoil then you should keep in mind that it has a removable back. you can get it anywhere if you need to replace. What if the unibody aluminum of HTC one gets dents? where can you change it?
Having S-pen feature is an option. If you don't need it don't use it but its there when u need it. I have never used my life insurance policy, but it doesn't mean i dun need it either. There are many people/artists around the globe who use s-pen for drawing. You can google and see beautiful hand made arts done from note series. And there are many people who use s-pen for productive office works. If your 2 frens dun use spen then u cannot assume that spen is useless. You 2 fren doesnt represent the world and note 2.
126. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4179; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
This is a VERY good upgrade to the Note II, and a very interesting precedent for future Galaxy devices design-wise. I'm so glad they did away with that glossy mess they've been working with for almost 2 years! But are you sure it's metal around the sides and not just good faux metal like on the GS4?
5. _Bone_ (Posts: 2149; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
"When writing the story of you life, don't let anyone else hold your Pen" - haha what a line.
7. raghu67 (Posts: 26; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
this time Mr.Shin didn't forget to mention Android is running in Samsung Note 2
8. Bardi (Posts: 12; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
My next phone for sure! Kudos to everyone at Samsung.
9. AsisHaas (Posts: 42; Member since: 14 Jul 2013)
I want it !! take my moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..................
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 15589; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Nice specs, but the look is......ok. I hoped they'd redesign it, but oh well. We'll see what apple unveils next week. This looks better than the new Sony though. Sammy's kinda underwhelmed this year.
68. Topcat488 (Posts: 1248; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
We already know what Apple is going to unveil... A too expensive iphone 5C, a "Gold" & "Champagne" colored iphone 5S with fingerprint sensor and outdated Android OS, with a "girly looking" UI. LOL :/
75. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9846; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I actually think the Note 3 has a better design than the Z1. It's better all around besides the camera.