Samsung Galaxy Note 3 display ranks on par with the best, AMOLED hugely improved
0. phoneArena 01 Oct 2013, 10:05 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 arrived on AT&T today, and in the next few days it will appear on all four major U.S. carriers, so it’s just the right time for an in-depth look…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
9. x7black7x (Posts: 116; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
we should call it
aww so awesome amoled :D
coz its reallyy amazingg :D ^_^
19. LordDavon (Posts: 93; Member since: 19 Sep 2011)
Dang it! I was all set not to upgrade yet! All the reviews coming in show that it is a worthy upgrade from the Note II. Friggin' Samsung!!!
22. akki20892 (Posts: 1674; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I don't think it can beat Sony's Triluminos display with X-reality.
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4174; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Did you not read the article? I'm demoing this bad boy at the AT&T store today.
63. taikucing (Posts: 581; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
you mean washout screen if we look it from wide angle?
42. bubbadoes (Posts: 298; Member since: 03 May 2012)
do your homework buddy--maybe best screen from Samsung-but the `htc one blows it away, try 468 ppi which is the highest pixel density on `any smartphone across any platform. period! comment 1
57. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1386; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Pixel density is not the only factor which determines the brilliance of a screen. By your logic, a screen with a PPI of 450 is better than a screen with a PPI of 445. Apparently, not much else matters. You wouldn't even know which one was which by just looking at it.
81. tadas86 (Posts: 3; Member since: 03 Apr 2013)
haha, you just made a joke of yourself. You CANT see the pixels from ~330 PPI already. What's the point of having more?
43. LionStone (Posts: 405; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
"Summarized in a few sentences, the Note 3 screen is probably the best AMOLED screen out there and it finally can play on par with the best LCDs out there. "
As stated, it 'finally' is on par and now people get all giddy! Hehe... It only took Sammy 10 mos to match the screen on the DNA! Late to market, just like apple
65. Long1 (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Do not take iPhoneArena literally
Display Mate stated - THE BEST. Chek it out.
48. AnTuTu (Posts: 593; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Another day another great news for the beast.
2. androidornothing (Posts: 140; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Thank You Samsung!!! This phone just gets sexier with every article that comes out.
33. GTR722 (Posts: 193; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
Even better with those fake benchmarks that are now confirmed, shame on samsung.
12. _Bone_ (Posts: 1741; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Dear Lord it has 660 cd/m2 peak brightness (in automatic brightness mode). Absolute winner.
60. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I don’t think so because some LCD Display can get over 1000 cd/m2 and remember if you set the brightness so high GN3 Display will consume more power than LCD.
78. Adithya7184 (Posts: 235; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
did you ever read the article-
"Finally, the Note 3 also features a very impressive gains in power efficiency - the display is 26% more efficient than the Note II, and 31 percent more power efficient than most full HD LCD smartphones."
read whole article before commenting, you dumbass
4. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3394; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Wow, this is indeed GREAT news. I love that this Super AMOLED is on par with the other GREATS like SLCD 3 & IPS.
Samsung hit a home run here with the Samsung Galaxy Note III's HD screen. Man those blacks are sexy!!!
6. amiaq (Posts: 311; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
I am so dehydrated of salivating over this phone.
7. twens (Posts: 336; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
I said this i the previous comment when phonearena rated the fon 9.0. This is the best phone ever,i don't care what rate phonearena gives it. We all know some people are just jealous.
13. twens (Posts: 336; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Phonearena left out the fact that note 3 has the highest mobile display brightness. This phone is a beast. Lets see what haters are going to say now?
14. livyatan (Posts: 297; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
So.. how this makes it "on par" with the best LCD screens on the market?
The S4 was topping them already according to display mate.
This basically means the Note 3 has THE BEST screen out of them all.
BTW.. looking forward buying my Note 3 on friday :)
16. _Bone_ (Posts: 1741; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
No doubt when it comes to performance and efficiency, it's the ultimate combo. Beyond my mind why wouldn't Samsung make it's excellent Movie Mode setup the Normal one, it's more color-accurate than the iPhone 5 and that's something.
61. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I don’t know what are you talking about according to displaymate LCD display like Iphone 5 or HTC One beats S4 display.
77. JMartin22 (Posts: 396; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
The iPhone 5 edges out the Galaxy S4 in color reproduction, slightly. But not the HTC One. The One has been noted for being more inaccurate and washed out.
18. harigrg33 (Posts: 134; Member since: 20 May 2013)
Haters not gonna comment in this article anymore coz they dont hav anything to yell about
27. HouTexan (Posts: 255; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
My goodness, what a magnificent phone. I won't ever put this baby down when I go and get it.
28. Ninetysix (Posts: 928; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
29. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1386; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
What do CPU & GPU benchmarks have to do with this article? Nothing. No one is interested in your trolling posts. Go away.
45. DukeX (Posts: 323; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Dude has an s4 but bashes samsung and android. We need to get the biggest ban hammer we can find for this guy.
50. Ninetysix (Posts: 928; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Your report button not working? Art though irate brethren?
31. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Yes, I already have read about that and if it is true and Samsung did that purposefully, then shame on Samsung!
54. maccess (Posts: 398; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
shame on you always have anything bad about samsung.. if you don't like samsung why keep bother to comment?? ops i forgot you're a troll..
73. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I can express my opinion about any company and it doesn't matter it is Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Nokia or any other company. If I see things that I like, then I say that I like it, if I see things which I don't like, then I say that I don't like it. I'm not a pocker face.
Also I didn't said shame on Samsung just because, I say shame on Samsung IF(!) it turns out that Samsung does that on purpose to trick users.
75. jdoee100 (Posts: 260; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Yikes, give it rest. "AnandTech just published a report that shows ASUS, HTC and other companies using the same "benchmark detect" function to artificially bump up the numbers."
35. rizzell (Posts: 9; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
Oh sweet baby jesus if you can see you way to make verizon release this phone this week.
36. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I have the S4 now(and I love it so much), but If I will be given a chance to buy another Phone, I'll Pick this One. Note 3, the BEAST! I can't see any other Phablets from Samsung competitors that can beat this on.Please Bored Samsung haters, Don't TROLL HERE.By the way, GREAT JOB SAMSUNG! WAY TO GO!
41. Danishs (Posts: 147; Member since: 23 May 2013)
By far the most important thing to me, and the deciding factor in getting this phone. I saw the screen in person and it's BRIGHT for amoled.
44. Bootutu (Posts: 117; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Brilliant! played with Note 3 today and its surely way brighter than my S4, there goes my money again...
47. VZWuser76 (Posts: 722; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
I'm a bit leery of amoled screens after my S3 encountered burn-in. What's odd is my OG Incredible still doesn't show any burn in. I know it's not an lcd variant because I got mine in the first week. I used it for my primary phone for longer than I've had my S3, and still use it when my S3 & N7 are charging, and it still doesn't show burn in. I planned on fixing the screen on my S3 but the cost is half way to a new phone. I toyed with trying the Moto X for it's active notifications, but not if amoled durability is going down hill.
52. Bozzor (Posts: 75; Member since: 02 May 2012)
OK, which PhoneArena statement on Note 3 displays are we supposed to believe? The glowing one here...or this one?
"...Despite all of its niceties, it continues to wash out when it’s used outdoors where the sun is present."
58. taz89 (Posts: 1766; Member since: 03 May 2011)
lol PA have been saying that forever about pretty much every single samsung devices with amoled yet other sites like gsmarena and displaymate have always said that samsung devices have always been very good mainly because of its high contrast and low reflectance display meaning even though its not the brightest those 2 things makes it easy to view. i would believe PA for sure its reviews etcs are always consistent and with never any contradiction. ie in a review it may say the phone is very solid with no creaks but in a comparison it will say its slighty hollow with some creaks lol you would never see anything like that here
53. twens (Posts: 336; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Go to display mate for a better review of the screen. It's simple the best screen on the market. Take it or leave it.
59. JoePhoto (Posts: 13; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
I also was ready to forego the 3 because I just didn't see that much improvement.
If this is true, then I will have to reconsider cause I work outdoor and (sun) readability is one of my priorities.
But I am also concerned about "loudness" and I simply hate/despise rear-speakers. I appreciate the sound-quality of HTC's front-speakers. (and I WILL look at HTC new model cause it has even a larger screen)
Something else I WANT in my phone-contacts -- "SUB" groups under basic GROUPS. If either the Note 3 or new HTC-one offers that, they have me sold. (or is there an android APP for phone-contacts that offers SUB-groups ???)
62. TimTebow (Posts: 68; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Homers are so excited about more Pentile crap from Samsung.
The sad thing nothing much else is available.
Let sharp do a real screen or someone else. Enough of this 3 year old technology.
Make it it 1440p Amoled plus or don't do it at all.
64. DualVoiceCoil (Posts: 5; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
I totally forgot that this baby will be out today on AT&T! I will be checking this out tomorrow after work. I will hope that AT&T already has the 64gb version. Our contract had ended, and AT&T is offering an extra $100.00 off from the $299.00 price to stay with them!!!!! You gotta love bargaining power and it pays to wait!
My wife really loves this over the iPhone 5S!
66. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Note 3 is Beast! And Great phablet along with Note 2. I'm perfectly sure that Samsung Will Sold Millions and Millions of this worldwide. Another Phenomenal Phone
Way to go Sammy! No matter what Samsung Haters say, this phone is just AWESOME!
68. Trex95 (Posts: 482; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
I played with note 3 in store for an half hour and yes i agree with article the brightness it's equal to LCD IPS and white more brighter but screen isn't that sharp as SGS4 and Lg optimus g pro considering the same size.
69. Trex95 (Posts: 482; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
It seems that Lg g2 the best Android phone in the market! No hate i do prefer Note 3 over the G2 but Note 3 detailed review shows that G2 still better IMHO.
70. JMartin22 (Posts: 396; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Andandtech do not have more than DisplayMate when it comes to display judging. Journalists will never be as creditable as people who work in the industry and do this for a living. For the record, if you look at the gamut charts, LCDs like the LG G2 are not accurate at all and veer towards saturation.. Using "accuracy" is just a marketing gimmick to slam Samsung's Super AMOLED technology. It holds no truth or substance, though.