Samsung Galaxy Golden is an Android clamshell with old looks but new specs
0. phoneArena 04 Aug 2013, 01:24 posted on
A new clamshell flip phone is apparently coming from Samsung; this seems to be a completely different model than the Samsung Hennessy (SCH-W789) that we told you about on Friday. Where that model will allegedly have 3.5 inch dual screens, the SHV-400EK, known as the Samsung Galaxy Golden, will have 3.75 inch dual-screens. The phone will have a numerical dial pad with triple tap letter entry...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GeekMovement (Posts: 1499; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
As much as I love the candy bar smartphones I personally miss flip phones more i'd love to see cool flip phones in asia come to the US market.
5. Shatter (Posts: 1967; Member since: 29 May 2013)
So the screens are between an iphone 4s and an iphone 5 in size?
30. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6129; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Sweet color. Just wonder y a phone like this never reached u.S shores
2. andrew1953 (Posts: 174; Member since: 13 Nov 2011)
What a great retro looking device. A real blast from the past. Son,daughter and missus had or still use clamshells.
3. andrew1953 (Posts: 174; Member since: 13 Nov 2011)
I expect it will have a touch screen(s)?
7. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Now this is what I call old, but gold.
It's nice to see that clamshells still exist. Kudos to Samsung.
32. juandante (Posts: 236; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
Indeed more have to follow this path, this is a very good move from Samsung ! I don't know if Android apps all have native and "low level" support for physical 4x3 keyboard (in the same way as On Screen keyboard) or if the manufacturer have to rewrite the keyboard driver every time for each type phone, I hope Google with Android >4.3 will push more phones to use physical keyboard as they did for other features.
8. TuanGugu (Posts: 42; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
I hope more smartphones in the near future will include numeric keypad designs!! I don't always like typing on the onscreen keyboard in certain situations... Its convenient if you have physical keyboards.
9. corporateJP (Posts: 1520; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
I stole your grandad's phone...I look incredible...
10. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
pathetic...quad core and 2 gigs in a clamshell only because it runs on android??
20. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 626; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Why did u comment?? Juz Trolling for no reason???
12. tiara6918 (Posts: 1322; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I wish it would just run the old touchwiz 4
15. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2992; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Clamshells like RAZR were slick, sexy and cool...i can't say anything about this however. If the last RAZR came with Android, it would've been awesome. Motorola should re-live their RAZR series.
18. lukasound (Posts: 150; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
clamshell design works perfect for a phone, but not for a smartphone...
19. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 626; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Dont draw conclusions so soon.. remember when iphone came out everyone wasnt sure that typing would be a problem without physical keypad. but then touchscreens replaced keypads & people accepted it.
Then again when Samsung galaxy S2 was launched, people said that 4.3" screen is huge, difficult to handle. but then people accepted it & it got hugely popular(2nd in the list of most selling model).
Then again when Samsung galaxy NOTE was launched, people said that its screen is very big,cant pocket & difficult to handle. but then people accepted it as well & it got hugely popular; 3rd most sold model in the world.
So, may be when this is launched, people would experiment & accept this also. Remember the time when flip phones were hugely popular (& it was like what...5-6 yrs ago)....
31. juandante (Posts: 236; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
and for you what's the difference between "smartphone" and a phone ? remember in 2004 when the first smartphones where out, and later the motorola mpx220... This is a great idea from samsung and I hope more will follow and bring back those E-series from Nokia and Sliding N-series from same Nokia with a flat and modern design. I hope end 2013/2014 will be the return of physical keyboards !
23. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Great high end flip phone, I hope LG is not copycat this phone.
26. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
It would be nice if they take off as much bezel as possible while keeping the same size, then they can make it possible to turn the phone portrait when folded, and include an on screen keyboard as well.
27. DannydaKid (Posts: 4; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Just make a transparent screen, duh , why 2 of them
33. rajcrazy (Posts: 7; Member since: 24 Jul 2013)
All Galaxy series smart phone is good.But Samsung Galaxy S4 is most popular smart phone.It achieves millions of users in few month.I really like this phone because it's model is very attractive and it's functions is very user frindly. It's camera quality is also good. I bought this smart phone from shopbychoice