Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 now comes with quad-core Exynos processor and slot for S Pen
0. phoneArena 22 May 2012, 23:45 posted on
At a Samsung event in Europe, the Korean based manufacturer has displayed a version of the Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 tablet that has some changes since the last time we saw the device at MWC; the tablet now has a quad-core Exynos processor and a slot for the S Pen...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. f1r3z0r (Posts: 90; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
now with these changes I got some reasons to upgrade my Galaxy Tab 10.1
2. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
where's the 1440p screen? and 2GB of RAM? :(
22. rd_nest (Posts: 1591; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Pay 800 bucks and you will definitely have it.
Guys, this is business. You got additional active digitizer, upgraded SoC, a S Pen. Don't you think these cost money?
Forget about out-of-world specs. At max, I think we can have 2GB RAM or 1080p screen. Either of these, not both.
Be realistic with your expectations.
30. medicci37 (Posts: 1271; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Tabs with 1gig of RAM & 1280×800 display have been out for a long time. Considering how fast mobile tech advances. 1080p & 2gigs should be standard now. If LG can put 2gigs on a phone.& The Japanese version of the SG lll has 2 gigs, (which will soon be the standard for high end phones) It does not make sense to buy a tab that is not much different than what's been out for the last 18 months. I would be willing to pay more for better specs. 1280×800 just isn't good enough on a 10.1 inch screen.
33. robocopvn (Posts: 404; Member since: 10 Mar 2010)
1280x800 is not good on 10.1 ? It's not the best but it's not that bad. Unless you put your eyes 5cm from the tablet to see the pixels =DDD
41. rd_nest (Posts: 1591; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Everything is related to the cost. Question is whether they can put all those ultra-high specs within the Note inside 500 bucks?? Are you ready to pay premium for extra specs? Most important, what does normal consumer think about extra specs?
Cost of usual components in a Tab + cost of upgraded SoC + new GPU license + active digitizer + S Pen + ultra high-res screen + 2GB RAM + bigger battery (to power the high-res screen) + profit margin < $500
Do you think it's feasible? I doubt it!
4. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Quad core exynos?... guess will not be 4G LTE ....... fail..if that is the case
13. chadrick0814 (Posts: 208; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
I guess every tablet in the world is a fail by that standard. That includes some dual core tablets that don't offer a "real" LTE model.
15. ph00ny (Posts: 1193; Member since: 26 May 2011)
fanboy meet Galaxy Tab 7.7 LTE
Exynos and *gasp* LTE *gasp*
18. scnix (Posts: 41; Member since: 01 Jul 2010)
TBH, I don't really see the need for my tablet to have 4G or even 3G. It just needs WiFi 'cause my phone will have 4G and just turn on portable hotspot.
Boom, 4G tablet.
24. PackMan (Posts: 277; Member since: 09 Mar 2012)
This is the only tablet i am considering to buy. Other tablets seem like toy to me with no real use. This has some real use and has some potential. I don't care about the resolutionary crap, i don't care even if has no camera at all. If the active digitizer system is better or on par with that of the note, i am going to buy this thing.
25. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
I hate that word fail all the time but I guess that's my issue. The exenos chips don't have LTE integrated but with a tablet adding a LTE modem to the mix is easily done.
35. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
at least the ipad sells cant say the same for the Android tablets...
5. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Samsung always has to go back to the drawing board with the 10.1" don't they? xD
anyway this has become a rather respectable offering. it beats the Transformer Prime for me by a long shot. o:
6. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
just by the processor and s-pen. the prime has the keyboard and the tegra zone which by the way i'm enjoying right now since all the best tablet games are there.
and not that it matters but the cameras are not respectable from the gTab.
and non-exynos variants again for 4G, so it's probably equal when it gets S4.
8. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the Prime also has the terrible radios. i know, i have one. i'm not a hardcore mobile gamer. i just want my Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Minecraft and other little games like that.
the only camera i care about on a Tablet is the front facing one and the 2.0MP one on the Tab is sufficient.
it doesn't really matter the Wi-Fi one is the one that will sell.
10. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
A 1080p screen would've made it purrrrrfect.
14. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
the radios suck, but it doesn't really bother me though.
anyway, it has advantages and disadvantages.
for me, the exynos and pen are not yet enough, and i still think it's not a long shot.
I'm entering college so I guess I'll be needing the keyboard and ports a lot... soon. :)
16. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Design is fine with me. As long as it houses a large battery, doesn't get too hot while on my lap, and is not slippery.
yep performance is not that too far off to make a difference in productivity stuff like what you're about to use your tab for.
But I'd like to point out that the TEGRA Zone is only exclusive for a limited time. The games will gradually be available to other tabs. And also, the graphics are the only difference, gameplay is the same. Not saying that the prime is crap, it's actually good, I have one but surely the Note 10.1 will play better.
38. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
if it does have a ARM Mali-T604T then it'll be IMMENSELY more powerful than the Prime.
28. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
then you probably want to wait to see what else comes out. A full windows 8 tablet will be more to the specs you are looking for, the productivity you will need, and will more than likely have keyboard docs and such like the Asus Transformer does.
17. ph00ny (Posts: 1193; Member since: 26 May 2011)
As for LTE offering, we should wait and see.
7. jove39 (Posts: 1824; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Great...but still no hd display? My be it'll be overkill for mali-400.
9. hung2900 (Posts: 951; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
A rumor before (with the Taji benchmark) shew that it will have Mali-604T GPU which is at least 5 times stronger than Mali-400 and 2-3 times stronger than SGX543MP4 of the new Ipad.
11. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
that's complete exaggeration. i could see it maybe being 50% faster than the SGX543(MP4) but not twice and certainly not three times as powerful.
20. hung2900 (Posts: 951; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Or just a mistake. I meant 2-3 times stronger than PowerVR SGX543 (3 times compared to SGX543Mp2 of Ipad 2 and 2 times compared to SGX543Mp4 with lower clock of the new Ipad).
I think that's true. According to GLBench, GPU of the new Ipad is only about 30% stronger than Mali-400Mp4 400 MHz+ of GS3.
21. jove39 (Posts: 1824; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Do you even know how fast 543MP4 is...just look up on google...and dont forget...its used in psp vita too...that little gpu is performance monster for mobile devices...4x exynos has quad core mali400...and overclocked too. I am not saying mali400 is bad...but ARM gpu tech is not better than Imagination technologies's PowerVR line up...watch for rogue 6200 and 6400 series!
23. hung2900 (Posts: 951; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
I know PowerVR is the best today in mobile graphics, however, their GPUs are also power hunger too. That's why Samsung gave up SGX543 in Exynos 4210 last year. Mali GPU are always the best power efficient with ARM SoCs.
29. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
my powerVR enhanced SGS1 gets 2 day battery life. Its all in how its optimized.
We are also talking tablets here, where there is room for a monster battery. A GPU that eats a bit more battery isnt going to be a big deal, especially since the quad exynos uses LESS juice than the dual 4210 found in the SGS2.
34. ph00ny (Posts: 1193; Member since: 26 May 2011)
That's like saying watch out for T658
Some of these graphics solutions have been available for a while but just haven't been implemented.
"The Mali-T658 delivers up to ten times the graphics performance of the Mali-400-MP GPU, as well as a four times increase in GPU Compute performance when compared with the Mali-T604 GPU."
19. rg987 (Posts: 130; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
only one change..............it shud have been atleast 3 changes..........
1. 250+ ppi
2. 2gb ram
3. quad core exynos..........if all this wud have been included that wud have graved even the NEW IPAD.......bcoz the major plus point is that "ITS A NOTE TAB"
26. TROLL.ISAHA (banned) (Posts: 535; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
That's what u call power that u can feel....
31. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
its nice to see that samsung keeps listening to its consumers. part of the reason they are going to stay #1 for a while. Thats what.. twice now they took their products back to the drawing board after letting consumers see it, and both times they took an OK product and came back with a great one.
36. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
they dont listen to consumers.. they see what Apple does..
40. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i don't remember Apple coming out with a Quad-Core Tablet equipped with a Stylus. xD
43. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
nop but Apple did came with dual core so Samsung already had a dual core on the failed GT and the Note 10.0 so they stocked quad core not because of cocnsumer because it has to be better stock than the ipad....
32. medicci37 (Posts: 1271; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
By the time Android oem's come out with a real high resolution tab, I hope i'm not to old to be able to see the difference. If Scamsum would work as hard on the specs for their tabs as the stuff they build for Apple, their tabs would be slot better. At this rate, looks like I will get my first Android tab sometime in 2014 ?
37. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
since the new and revamp Galaxy tabs didn't do well in sales Samsung wants to ride the wave of success the Note had and released a tablet... say bye bye to the infamous Galaxy Tabs
44. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
well...yeah. it's called the consumer market. xD